Anyone build straps so that you can tie your feet down to the pedals?

mathishard

@ Math is hard, Hello, Welcome to the forum , :cheers: 

The math does not work out on this question. You have a V8F. ........ 

No. Tying your feet down would not be a good idea. Anyone riding faster than 30 mph will likely crash at some point and you don't want to be tied to your wheel when you do.

Some people use thick pads that somewhat trap your feet and legs. As you get better wheel control should get better and you feet should not leave the pedals as easy. 

• Like 3

I don't even have a v8f yet :P Sounds like you DIDN'T tie your feet down. I'm thinking it will make it more stable, but no clue. I may try, but not sure. People tie down their feet with ice skates, roller blades, and snowboards for more control. I was just wondering...

• Like 2

:D  Before buying a wheel I pictured myself just standing on a small platform going 30 mph. It seems like you would fall off.  After learning to ride you feel differently about it. When you lean the wheel catches you. It is much more stable than it looks. The biggest reminder that you are just standing on small pedals is when you hit a bump and your feet move forward. As you get better you learn to absorb the bumps and you don't have this problem ......unless you hit a big unexpected bump.

• Like 2

If we had quick release clips on our hoverwheels like sports bicyclists have on pedals, it might actually make high-speed riding safer, because if you accidentally ride over a deep pothole, your feet become airborne from the pedals, and when the wheel hits the opposite side of hole, it may slow down and you want to have your feet on your pedals at that moment. Without the clips, it would be an inevitable faceplant.

3 hours ago, Aneta said:

If we had quick release clips on our hoverwheels like sports bicyclists have on pedals, it might actually make high-speed riding safer, because if you accidentally ride over a deep pothole, your feet become airborne from the pedals, and when the wheel hits the opposite side of hole, it may slow down and you want to have your feet on your pedals at that moment. Without the clips, it would be an inevitable faceplant.

Quick release would be the only way I'd think about strapping myself in. Something I could jump with, but if i fall, im getting out of quickly. 

But other than that, straps on wheels would be a death sentence. Guaranteed leg break. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aneta said:

I've often wondered if spd cycling shoes could work instead of pedals. Obviously as an option and not do away with the pedals all together as that would dramatically limit their appeal. I've never used spd cycling shoes but they are rigid afaik. Actually, just realised the attachment point is probably too far forward, designed for maximum leverage to increase propulsion of a cycle, rather than the central position we would need for balance. If these were ever manufactured for EUC's, I imagine the increased sensitivity would be great and foot pain a thing of antiquity, but being able to effectively detach just before a bail out would be the difficulty.

I strongly urge people to drop this project right here and now.

This only leads to very dangerous situations for yourself and other people around you in traffic. 

If you can't see why, then I do think you should go to traffic school and study a bit. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I strongly urge people to drop this project right here and now.

This only leads to very dangerous situations for yourself and other people around you in traffic. 

If you can't see why, then I do think you should go to traffic school and study a bit. 

I have no intention of this being a project and only ride off road. Merely pondering on an idea. No animals were hurt during the making of this concept :)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

This is efective and cheap too.

I should have added ‘spikes’ to my post as they actually caused my injury. The low profile shoe studs you have depicted would probably be ok but I still prefer my course pedal grip tape.

Personally I like to shift my feet while riding so any form of pedal stud/strap/quick release method would impede that opportunity as well. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Rehab1 provided a good example, as a cautionary tale of what can happen if you can't "unstick" your feet from the wheel, but don't let it scare you. 

31 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Another example would be riding near a cliff or body of water (things I don't advise as a new rider)...just image what could happen you you fall and the wheel drags you along with it... (some of the larger performance wheels weight 50 lb...)

Now there’s a vivid image I’m sure to have nightmares about tonight. What’s your phone # so I can pay you a 3 AM call? :P

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, mathishard said:

I've decided to just tape my legs and the wheel together once I get better and see how that goes. I am crazy :)

Lol, Cant tell if trolling. 

3e1wra.png

When I have a great idea, I stop and ask myself....... How are the paramedics going to explain what I did to the ER doctors?.... Will they root for me or natural selection?

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

A little late on the party but on  attaching "spd " clips on the pedals; I've been using them mountainbiking for 15 years or so.  Helps control better and keeps me planted on the rocky, rooty technical northeast terrain.The multi release cleats (shimano SH-56) always unclips every time I crash . I've seen unicyclist use them . The SH-51 are single-release cleats and only unclips when you push your heels out sideways. 

The caveat is the cleats themselves. That solid piece of metal under your sole isn't great for walking and can be slippery. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I could not find if anyone had tried this, but do you think putting magnets in the sole of the shoe could help with getting better grip? With magnets they would fall off if you put on strong force and you could probably adjust it by putting small magnets and adjust the force by how many magnets. Anyone who have tried this? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sCar said:

I could not find if anyone had tried this, but do you think putting magnets in the sole of the shoe could help with getting better grip? With magnets they would fall off if you put on strong force and you could probably adjust it by putting small magnets and adjust the force by how many magnets. Anyone who have tried this? 

Lol. Just put jump pads on the wheel. Like kuji or those winglets or custom ones like I have (i'll take a picture later if anyone cares). Then if you fall, you can still step off the wheel. Not get caught. What you really need is good grip tape and something to stop you from bouncing too far forwards or  backwards. But you'd need a super strong magnet to lock your shoes into the pedals. And i dont know how much the internals would like such a strong magnet when the pedals are up. 

4 hours ago, seage said:

....i'll take a picture later if anyone cares....

Please do,

Bruce