why plastic-paint the motor's coils?

reach

Hi,

I have seen 2 videos on youtube where a guy paints both the coils and magnets of his EUC's motor with "plastic".

Both videos are in russian, so even if the guy explains why he's doing this, I wouldn't understand.

Does anybody know? Maybe it makes it more silent? I understand electrics quite well, I just can't figure out why one would do such a thing.

Thx,

reach

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 7:27 PM, reach said:

Hi,

I have seen 2 videos on youtube where a guy paints both the coils and magnets of his EUC's motor with "plastic".

Both videos are in russian, so even if the guy explains why he's doing this, I wouldn't understand.

Does anybody know? Maybe it makes it more silent? I understand electrics quite well, I just can't figure out why one would do such a thing.

Thx,

reach

Have you tried enabling auto generated closed captions (small 'cc' icon on lower right of player, and then click on settings ('gear' icon on lower right) and then closed captions -> auto translate -> English.

34 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Could you post the videos?  I wonder if it could be more to reduce coil hum.

I’d be very interested in that, my 18XL make various vibrations depending on a combination of speed and magnet pull, and I suspect it is the coils changing position. (And rubbing on the side shell ribs)

Any how they should be moving as little as possible AFAIK.

12 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder if it could be more to reduce coil hum.

A local rider followed this rumour and lacquered the coils on his 16S motor hoping to reduce the whine. Result? Absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Maybe the coils tend to get hot while riding, and the repeatedly loosening and tightening coils would bring up issues with time as they move and rub their coatings.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Nic said:

Have you tried enabling auto generated closed captions (small 'cc' icon on lower right of player, and then click on settings ('gear' icon on lower right) and then closed captions -> auto translate -> English.

This is genius!!!!! Works perfectly, thanks!

Here is on of the videos. Spoiler: he claims it increases lifetime and corrosion-proofs it.

Personally I'm not convinced. Too much effort and even risk for a very questionable result. If water or moisture gets in there, you will have a problem with or without that coating.

• Like 2

Thanks for the video. Yes it’s not very attractive to be messing around in there. My KSs various noises and vibrations are annoying though. As KS stated to someone else « it’s just a little noise » 🤨

Edited by Mimolette

On 10/15/2019 at 4:29 AM, mrelwood said:

A local rider followed this rumour and lacquered the coils on his 16S motor hoping to reduce the whine. Result? Absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Maybe the coils tend to get hot while riding, and the repeatedly loosening and tightening coils would bring up issues with time as they move and rub their coatings.

What did he use?  That’s interesting to note.

I wonder if Plastik 71 is more a conformal coating to protect against water.  Anyone read Russian?  @Cloud?

https://www.chipdip.ru/product/plastik-71-100

https://www.globalspec.com/learnmore/materials_chemicals_adhesives/electrical_optical_specialty_materials/insulating_varnishes_impregnating_resins

Insulating varnishes and impregnating resins are thermosetting resins such as epoxies or phenolics. They are used to ensure that electrical devices, including motors, generators, transformers, sensors, and other devices that function by electromagnetic induction, have the necessary electrical insulation and structural integrity for operation. These materials crosslink when applied and are, therefore, inherently strong, environmentally stable, impervious, and durable. Transformers, for instance, are comprised of coil windings where the electric wires are protected by a thermosetting resin or an insulating varnish (also called a wire enamel or primary insulation) to prevent electrical shorting. The completed transformer, comprised of an assembly of coil windings and insulating paper, is sealed with a thermosetting resin to provide environmental protection (especially from moisture and dust) to eliminate air in the transformer that can conduct electricity and heat, and to provide strength.

Often times insulating varnishes and impregnating resins appear to be redundant, applied to already insulated components. What insulating varnishes and impregnating resins provide are several benefits that improve the performance and life span of the equipment. It provides protection from mechanical damage and dampens vibrations in the windings and other components. Insulating varnishes and impregnating resins prevent moisture and contamination from lodging between coils and components and damaging the insulation. They also increase the dielectric strength of paper insulation and help carry heat away from the windings and other components.

Edited by Nic

I just got back from a ride on my Tesla with my “Mar-T” :lol:, and my Tesla is super quiet.  There is only a very slight high pitched sound that can be heard while stationary.  Most of the noise generated is from the tire to road contact.  I wonder how Gotway managed to get such a quiet motor?  Or maybe it’s how their controller works?  Perhaps King Song might benefit from sine wave controller technology?

https://www.electricbike.com/sine-wave/

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I just got back from a ride on my Tesla with my “Mar-T” :lol:, and my Tesla is super quiet.  There is only a very slight high pitched sound that can be heard while stationary.  Most of the noise generated is from the tire to road contact.  I wonder how Gotway managed to get such a quiet motor?  Or maybe it’s how their controller works?  Perhaps King Song might benefit from sine wave controller technology?

https://www.electricbike.com/sine-wave/

It's interesting... The new(ish) KS-16X is very quiet... So they must have worked something out.

A few weeks ago @Mishkin and I spent a day riding around on the 16X and 18XL (to help him decide between the two). At one point when we were out in the quiet of the countryside, all I could hear was the tyre noise of the 16X (that I was riding) and the whine of the 18XL 20 m behind me...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I’m pretty sure he used the same laquer/varnish/resin I use and also recommended to him, which is especially manufactured for coils, transformers and such electronic devices. Available in local stores for electronic components.

I guess the 16S whine originates from the motor controller, although the sound itself is generated in the motor. Like an electric guitar and an amp!

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder if Plastik 71 is more a conformal coating to protect against water.  Anyone read Russian?  @Cloud?

https://www.chipdip.ru/product/plastik-71-100

It says acrylic conformal coating for PCB. If you really want to cover magnets and coils - urethane might be a better choice. There's a spray can packaging available  https://uk.farnell.com/kontakt-chemie/urethan-71-200ml/lacquer-urethane-71-200ml/dp/801069 and https://uk.farnell.com/kontakt-chemie/plastik-70-200ml/lacquer-plastik-70-200ml/dp/800960?st=plastik 70

• Like 1

Personally I use Electrolubes 's DCC3 and can recommend this - https://www.electrolube.com/products/conformal-coatings/dca/modified_alkyd/

On 10/20/2019 at 6:57 AM, mrelwood said:

I guess the 16S whine originates from the motor controller, although the sound itself is generated in the motor. Like an electric guitar and an amp!

It's mostly caused by Maxwell forces and to some limited extent by magnetostriction phenomenon.

• Like 2