Tryptych

You're obviously skinny. Anyone as fat as me would break V8 in the first jump from a curb. :efee8319ab::eff00eab1e:

You may soon end up like some of us... With 15 different wheels and unable to part with any one of them. Because every single one is special in some way. :wub:

I'm looking every few days for a second-hand MTen3... Not to buy... Not to buy... Just to see if one is available... B)

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 2

Yes, the V8 is a very nice wheel, but why I should limit myself? There are other EUCs , which let you ride longer, farther, smoother and to places where the V8 fails. :wub:

The downside is only the weight, if you have to carry it often. :efefc8626c:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Yes, the V8 is a very nice wheel, but why I should limit myself? There are other EUCs , which let you ride longer, farther, smoother and to places where the V8 fails. :wub:

To me, the other downside of the "competitors" is wheel width.

3 hours ago, buell47 said:

Is this a downside? Or just if you have short legs? 

LOL, I don't have particularly short legs. Scratching the pedals while going straight (or even in a curve) can lead to nasty falls. If you never ride in environments where you want or need to pass obstacles very close by (curbs, poles, walls, stones, trees,...) and don't care to scratch pedals in curves, wheel width is not an issue. Though with a thin wheel it's also more convenient to find space in trains etc.

12 hours ago, buell47 said:

Other downside would be price. I bought a V8 for 750 €. Of course it cannot compete with 1600-2000 € wheels. 

I think V8 is a fantastic second wheel and its best feature is weight. I always use the V8 to go for short errands or keep it in my car if I need to park far from destination or use public transportation to go to the city centre. It's more convenient than my 18XL for these usages and still very nice wheel. However, the updated version is badly needed already. But it's held up nicely in its price point considering it's a 2016 model. 

• Like 3

Still the perfect solution for short commute under my eye.

1. Price
  2. Portability (light weight and slim).
  3. Enough speed for city commute.
  4. Enough power to go up most city slope.
  5. Enough battery for daily city commute.
  6. Dedicate stroller and carrying handle bars with lift/cut-off switch.
  7. Easy to maintain, and there are plenty of accessories and parts can be purchase easily.
  8. Not bad lighting setup (missing brake light)

Just now, Phong Vu said:

yeah, I put the "perfect" in the "daily + short commute" telescope :)

Me too. I really would like to have a wheel weighing 9kg instead of 13kg with otherwise similar specs as the V8 and I also believe that it is technologically feasible. It probably requires gearing and hence is not a smooth technological path from the current approach and hence won't happen any time soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/4/2019 at 8:50 PM, Phong Vu said:

One of the issue for V8 is small pedals.
Also, the grip tape on original pedals will loose grip with it muddy (rain, snow).
Just add V10 pedals with grip tape to my V8, hope it will last for a while without cracking :) 

Agree!

I also spent the extra $ to get V10 petals on my V8, maybe I will put the grip tape too, good idea. I see you have padding on your V8 - is it useful?

31 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

Agree!

I also spent the extra $ to get V10 petals on my V8, maybe I will put the grip tape too, good idea. I see you have padding on your V8 - is it useful?

I tried kuji's pad, not suit my style of riding.
So this is the one I end up using, add some more grips to the legs for hard braking assistant.

IMG_4988.JPG

It won't win any prizes; but here is a poem to inspire you.

V8 My Love

Love at first sight.

Your smooth motion captured my spirit,

your smooth shell captured my heart.

You slammed my face to the ground.

I understood it was just your nature,

I would work harder to join you in symbiotic dance.

No others can take your place.

I need not speed nor weight,

my love is held with your magnetic resonance.

Let us glide over the black top.

My feet, my soul with yours are joined,

we are now both free as one.

V8 my love.

V8 my love.

Now is a good time for a recharge.