Updates from ninbot on the Z10

Hsiang

18 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

People were saying ninebot was done for good with EUCs.

"People" have a tendency to take a comment pass it on (adding their own interpretation) it then gets passed on again and again until we end up with something very different from the original statement/comment!  I stress that word again, "people" were saying ninebot was done for good with EUCs, it was NOT an official Ninebot statement/comment.

@Hsiang's response from Ninebot, quoted in his post above is official proof there is a Ninebot EUC future and disproves what was being said by "people".  Z10 Pro has been on my radar for a little while now and I can't wait for the official word on what that may bring to the table, I'll buy one for sure if it adds range/top speed!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

@Hsiang Thanks for the good news 

They acknowledged the connector melt-down and high battery self drain issues and sent the following response: 

Which connector is this? 

Probably we can replace it with better quality / higher capacity before it becomes melted

21 hours ago, Hsiang said:

So I heard back from ninebot in regards to the Z10 issues we have been seeing. They acknowledged the connector melt-down and high battery self drain issues and sent the following response:

"the new batch Z6/Z10 has already fixed all the known issues(MFG date after Apr/2019). Pls let your friends know Ninebot will not end this series; and we will continue the support, even we dont sell officially in the US, but we will do as much as possible to provide stable spare part supply.."

And yes, this interesting bit at the end:

"Hopefully we can let you know if we have the Z10 PRO ready :)"

I am of course begging for more info, will follow up if they are willing to say more.

YO !!! so happy to hear this !

On 8/22/2019 at 2:03 PM, Hsiang said:

So I heard back from ninebot in regards to the Z10 issues we have been seeing. They acknowledged the connector melt-down and high battery self drain issues and sent the following response:

"the new batch Z6/Z10 has already fixed all the known issues(MFG date after Apr/2019). Pls let your friends know Ninebot will not end this series; and we will continue the support, even we dont sell officially in the US, but we will do as much as possible to provide stable spare part supply.."

And yes, this interesting bit at the end:

"Hopefully we can let you know if we have the Z10 PRO ready :)"

I am of course begging for more info, will follow up if they are willing to say more.

Thanks man!!!

As has been asked, I would be also be interested to know what 'connector' they are referring to.

I have a May 2019 build and I would be happy to open mine up to compare, once I know what I am looking at of course.

Further, I wonder what they did with the self drain issue, given that I am fairly sure mine loses the 1% per day that all the previous wheels did.

Not that either has been a problem for me yet. Feels as rock solid and safe as my previous Z6 and neither does the wheel sit around for long enough for me to worry about self drain.

Z10 Pro sounds awesome... :)

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 5:22 PM, Planemo said:

As has been asked, I would be also be interested to know what 'connector' they are referring to.

I have a May 2019 build and I would be happy to open mine up to compare, once I know what I am looking at of course.

Further, I wonder what they did with the self drain issue, given that I am fairly sure mine loses the 1% per day that all the previous wheels did.

Not that either has been a problem for me yet. Feels as rock solid and safe as my previous Z6 and neither does the wheel sit around for long enough for me to worry about self drain.

Z10 Pro sounds awesome... :)

I did ask for clarification on the self drain issues since I had not heard of anyone whom had a z10 that had this addressed.

I did ask GF when was the replacement motor I purchased manufactured and they said after April 2019 so I am hoping that whatever issue there had been addressed as well. This one is still a bit fuzzy for me since Jason at ewheel had confirmed it being a gen one failure point but I had not seen any documentation of what the actual problem point is.

And of course I begged for more info on the z10 pro and even asked for demos, let see if they'll actually respond.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Hsiang said:

I did ask GF when was the replacement motor I purchased manufactured and they said after April 2019 so I am hoping that whatever issue there had been addressed as well. This one is still a bit fuzzy for me since Jason at ewheel had confirmed it being a gen one failure point but I had not seen any documentation of what the actual problem point is.

I wasn't aware that there had been any changes to the motor at all throughout the Z series. I certainly haven't heard of any.

The only 'Gen1' issues I am aware of were the hall sensor resistors on the board failing (which you had) and the headlight pointing skywards.

However, given you replaced your board and the problem persisted, I do wonder what else had fried. I appreciate that it must be on the motor side, but it could be a red herring if the resistor failing then caused something in the motor to go (hall sensor maybe).

None of the above has anything to do with a 'connector' which further complicates matters. I wish we had some definitive info, and what build dates it applies to. Only then could existing owners do something about it. It's not even like I mind paying. Anything to create a safe wheel.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Planemo said:

I wasn't aware that there had been any changes to the motor at all throughout the Z series. I certainly haven't heard of any.

The only 'Gen1' issues I am aware of were the hall sensor resistors on the board failing (which you had) and the headlight pointing skywards.

However, given you replaced your board and the problem persisted, I do wonder what else had fried. I appreciate that it must be on the motor side, but it could be a red herring if the resistor failing then caused something in the motor to go (hall sensor maybe).

None of the above has anything to do with a 'connector' which further complicates matters. I wish we had some definitive info, and what build dates it applies to. Only then could existing owners do something about it. It's not even like I mind paying. Anything to create a safe wheel.

I am a bit unclear as to the failure point at the motor wiring, but it is internal to the motor and although I have heard one instances where someone opened up their motor housing and was able to replace the wiring and repair the fault there was no documentation to it. Again Jason had said that this was a common problem he had encountered and for him; requires the replacement of the motor assembly.

I did get a brief response from ninebot, they reiterated that the ghost drain issues had been addressed in the new batch (sounds like it hasn't for some) and no additional info on the z10 pro. =(

4 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

So ...

"We fixed all the stuff in the new batch, but early adopters, oh well, keep your fingers crossed it doesn't happen to you" 

"....oh.....and we're not going to tell you what we fixed either....."

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, Hsiang said:

Does it mean all 2018 batches have some issues ?  (connector meltdown and battery drain).

(I was about to buy a 2018 Z10....  batch '1833')

Kristo.

1 hour ago, Kristofior said:

Does it mean all 2018 batches have some issues ?  (connector meltdown and battery drain).

(I was about to buy a 2018 Z10....  batch '1833')

Kristo.

I couldn't hand on heart say that. There are many, many early Z10's which have done thousands of miles and are still going without problems. Not to mention the number of Z6's without problems.

At this time, unless someone can tell me otherwise, there does not appear to be any definitive data.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 7:44 AM, Planemo said:

I couldn't hand on heart say that. There are many, many early Z10's which have done thousands of miles and are still going without problems. Not to mention the number of Z6's without problems.

At this time, unless someone can tell me otherwise, there does not appear to be any definitive data.

Pretty much everyone I know with a Z10, has a BROKEN Z10

Stephen and Pogart on this forum, a guy I ride with and myself all have Z10's and all are running fine. Stephens and the guy I ride with have many miles on them too, and are 2018 wheels to boot. I am sure there are quite a few others on this forum which are running fine as well.

I cant help feeling that there must be many hundreds if not thousands of Z10's sold. I do wonder what the failure rate is.

I am not saying the rate is extremely low, I just think its really hard to put a figure on it.

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

I am sure there are quite a few others on this forum which are running fine as well.

My Z10 is: 1832 serial number (2018 week 32) with just over 3000kms and also No issues at all so far!