WARNING: Monster V3 DOA / Smoked [AliExpress Green Fashion 2460WH MOD]

houseofjob

15 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

This same customer also just bought an MSX 100V from eWheels and it showed up with Nikola pedals.  Like, seriously.

Isn't that a good thing? If optional, I'd ask to have the Nikola pedals on any new Gotway or InMotion wheel that I would currently buy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, learnerofskills said:

Thanks for your concern. I still think it should still be fine though... Reasons being...

I'm not simply getting this as a hobby. I'm a professional car hauler, and I'm buying this so that I can be more productive at work. I go to a lot of auctions, rail-yards, and manufacturing plants to pick up cars, and a unicycle would let me ride to the cars that I need to pick up, instead of walk to them, which will save me at least a half hour or more every day. It's also a useful option to get me to hotels, since sometimes I have to park my semi-truck down the street. My other options were to get an electric folding scooter or electric skateboard, but after doing my research, I decided the unicycle would be the best option. One of my co-worker's got himself a kingsong 14S, but he is a very short and small guy, so it works for him. I on the other hand am 6'6" tall and 230 lbs, so I need a larger wheel. At the price point of some of the larger wheels, I'd rather spend a bit more and be picky about the quality. If it allows me to do at least 1 extra load of cars every week (which it will), then it will pay for itself in the long run. So I'm not worried about the cost. Maybe I could tape some foam padding to the monster at first while I'm learning to protect the shell. Always open to suggestions though! Thanks!

Even with padding, I'd be a little concerned about the Monster surviving the learning process. But over the years I've observed that people have successfully learned on every wheel conceivable, including wheels that I've specifically recommended against as first wheels. So I no longer advise against any specific wheel.

I continue to recommended that people get the best wheel that they can afford as their first wheel. That's what I did and it worked out great for me. If you buy the best then you have a wheel that you won't outgrow. You may still want to buy more wheels, but it won't be out of necessity.

The Monster is a great wheel for robust guys such as yourself. It's called the Monster for a reason :D Just pad the hell out of the wheel for the first month of use - until you've stopped dropping it.

• Like 1

I agree that a Monster as a first wheel and for your purposes might end up being too big, heavy, unwieldy. A Nikola, 16X, 18XL or MSX are maybe better (or even a smaller wheel like a Tesla or even MCM5). And more fun because more zippy.

On the other hand, for sheer riding comfort, a big tire is just nice. Not sure if that is really what you need.

Often choice comes down to "trust your gut". So if you see yourself just wanting a Monter, get one. But the others are maybe a bit more flexible and pleasant, especially if you replace shorter routes that you'd normally walk.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I agree that a Monster as a first wheel and for your purposes might end up being too big, heavy, unwieldy. A Nikola, 16X, 18XL or MSX are maybe better (or even a smaller wheel like a Tesla or even MCM5). And more fun because more zippy.

On the other hand, for sheer riding comfort, a big tire is just nice. Not sure if that is really what you need.

Often choice comes down to "trust your gut". So if you see yourself just wanting a Monter, get one. But the others are maybe a bit more flexible and pleasant, especially if you replace shorter routes that you'd normally walk.

You did see that he's 2-meters tall and 104kg in weight? Would you really recommend the Tesla or MCM5 :shock2:

We're talking about replacing foot-routes. Aka like 1 mile. Probably not worth it to even wear any gear but wrist guards.

So I think the Tesla and MCM5 might still work, even for the weight. Maybe I'm misjudging how exactly the EUC will be used. And it can't hurt to have a faster and stronger wheel like a MSX or Nikola, but they're heavy.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You did see that he's 2-meters tall and 104kg in weight? Would you really recommend the Tesla or MCM5 :shock2:

I don't think that's prohibitive measurements for any reasonably powerful wheel. If he would be 1-meter and 200kg it would be a different story B)

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Mono said:

I don't think that's prohibitive measurements for any reasonably powerful wheel. If he would be 1-meter and 200kg it would be a different story B)

I'm 240ish lbs without gear and I've commuted to work many times on every wheel listed in my signature, down to the V5F and the KS-14D.

My only faceplant came from a $300 no-name "landglider" wheel.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I'm 240ish lbs without gear and I've commuted to work many times on every wheel listed in my signature, down to the V5F and the KS-14D.

My only faceplant came from a $300 no-name "landglider" wheel.

How tall are you?

Anything is doable of course, but I have to believe the bigger the guy, the bigger the wheel for total body comfort. And I know for a fact that the bigger wheels have beefier axles which has to be a good thing when pushing your level weight around. No?

5 hours ago, learnerofskills said:

'm a professional car hauler, and I'm buying this so that I can be more productive at work. I go to a lot of auctions, rail-yards, and manufacturing plants to pick up cars, and a unicycle would let me ride to the cars that I need to pick up, instead of walk to them, which will save me at least a half hour or more every day. It's also a useful option to get me to hotels, since sometimes I have to park my semi-truck down the street. My other options were to get an electric folding scooter or electric skateboard, but after doing my research, I decided the unicycle would be the best option. One of my co-worker's got himself a kingsong 14S, but he is a very short and small guy, so it works for him. I on the other hand am 6'6" tall and 230 lbs, so I need a larger wheel. At the price point of some of the larger wheels, I'd rather spend a bit more and be picky about the quality. If it allows me to do at least 1 extra load of cars every week (which it will), then it will pay for itself in the long run. So I'm not worried about the cost. Maybe I could tape some foam padding to the monster at first while I'm learning to protect the shell. Always open to suggestions though! Thanks!

For this use case I would recommend a 16S. I do something a little bit similar in setting up and breaking down our arena setup every week. I find a larger wheel such as the 18XL too unwieldy to use when I'm running from place to place in a confined area. Again, 250lbs or so riding weight, six-one or so height. 16S is my second favorite wheel after the ACM2. I should also mention that in addition to riding weight, I will often carry heavy loads -- such as other wheels -- several blocks between my house and the rink. So my riding weight in those case is pushing 300lbs. I'm not babying these things in any way.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

How tall are you?

Anything is doable of course, but I have to believe the bigger the guy, the bigger the wheel for total body comfort. And I know for a fact that the bigger wheels have beefier axles which has to be a good thing when pushing your level weight around. No?

I'm six-one ish. For riding long distances, big wheel, no question. For nipping back and forth short distances comfort isn't an issue. A big heavy wheel is a big heavy pain in the a** when you're doing lots of tiny trips in a semi-confined area.:)

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1

Guys, I find this whole spinning in the box thing weird. If the wheel started spinning, wouldn't it cut out and stop after a second or two? In that case, I would expect it would just keep beeping until it runs out of battery over a long period of time. What are your thoughts on this?

9 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

And I know for a fact that the bigger wheels have beefier axles which has to be a good thing when pushing your level weight around.

I do worry about axles a bit, so I keep my curb-hopping activities and the like to a minimum. I don't avoid them, but I don't seek them out either unless I am doing a demo or something.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KingOsmos said:

Guys, I find this whole spinning in the box thing weird. If the wheel started spinning, wouldn't it cut out and stop after a second or two? In that case, I would expect it would just keep beeping until it runs out of battery over a long period of time. What are your thoughts on this?

Unless the wheel gets enough resistance from the packing material touching the tire (or getting caught in the shell) that it never reaches the cut off speed. This seems entirely within the roam of feasible scenarios, IMHO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, winterwheel said:

For this use case I would recommend a 16S

Just looked into it. That's actually a really good suggestion. It's much cheaper and lightweight, and I'd assume more durable based on what others have said here. I overlooked it before because e-wheels.com said it's max load is only 250lbs. But kingsong.com says it's max load is 330lbs, and so if you say it can carry 300lbs, I believe you. I might actually get this wheel instead. Thank you.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Even with padding, I'd be a little concerned about the Monster surviving the learning process. But over the years I've observed that people have successfully learned on every wheel conceivable, including wheels that I've specifically recommended against as first wheels. So I no longer advise against any specific wheel.

I continue to recommended that people get the best wheel that they can afford as their first wheel. That's what I did and it worked out great for me. If you buy the best then you have a wheel that you won't outgrow. You may still want to buy more wheels, but it won't be out of necessity.

The Monster is a great wheel for robust guys such as yourself. It's called the Monster for a reason :D Just pad the hell out of the wheel for the first month of use - until you've stopped dropping it.

I have a Nikola 100V and (to be eventually fixed monster 100V), yet i still want an mten3... :( Just not enough to spend $1000 on it. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/18/2019 at 1:14 AM, Ben Kim said:

I have a Nikola 100V and (to be eventually fixed monster 100V), yet i still want an mten3... :( Just not enough to spend $1000 on it. 

@Ben Kimany updates on new ewheel horror stories...thinking about a new wheel and trying to figure where to buy from.

id imagine ewheels gets  a decent amount of items back thru warranty that id expect them to sell refurbed items somewhere, i have in the past seen them sell on ebay so but dont' recall seeing the word refurb on that, so makes me wonder

do you still recommend green and fashion thru aliexpress and paypal?