WARNING: Monster V3 DOA / Smoked [AliExpress Green Fashion 2460WH MOD]

2 minutes ago, neurokinetik said:

I wonder what happened there.  Looks like it might have powered up in the box and fried the control board?

:shock2:

Jeebus. This is why I installed the equivalent of a key switch on my wheels, so they can NEVER accidentally turn on. :barf:

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, neurokinetik said:

I wonder what happened there.  Looks like it might have powered up in the box and fried the control board?

Probably. 

The Monster box and foam in general was never very well suited to transport such a massive wheel.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Addendum: @Ben Kim found foam stuck in the motor axle, so this wheel probably did turn on while in-transit. Also, another local rider who received a Monster (not sure if from the same source) said the wheel turned on in the box when UPS set the package down *smh

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Probably. 

The Monster box and foam in general was never very well suited to transport such a massive wheel.

Yeah, probably not the best packaging for a device like the Monster shipped literally from the other side of the planet

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Addendum: @Ben Kim found foam stuck in the motor axle, so this wheel probably did turn on while in-transit. Also, another local rider who received a Monster (not sure if from the same source) said the wheel turned on in the box when UPS set the package down *smh

Yup... I think all of these big modern wheels need some form of removable interlock on the start button. Doesn't need to be a "key" as such, but something physical that will prevent them from being able to turn on without it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

Yup... I think all of these big modern wheels need some form of removable interlock on the start button. Doesn't need to be a "key" as such, but something physical that will prevent them from being able to turn on without it.

Well, the easy solution is to ship it with the battery disconnected.

But I still hear of Monsters shipping to buyers with damage around the handle from transit.

When a device gets that big, IMHO they need to build a custom cage and lock it in place, ala how Onyx RCR motorbikes are shipped.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

When a device gets that big, IMHO they need to build a custom cage and lock it in place, ala how Onyx RCR motorbikes are shipped.

That would be fascinating to have delivered to you. I'm imagining a crate strapped to a pallet being offloaded from a Fedex truck and what the neighbors would think :laughbounce2:

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Makes sense for obvious reasons & from a safety perspective now that we have heard of GotWay as well as King Song powering up in transit.  Even Ninebot Z10's (due to the vampire battery drain issue) have started shipping with the batteries disconnected!  Maybe all wheels from all brands should arrive disconnected in future, pretty sure @Ben Kim would agree to that becoming the norm!  @houseofjob please pass on how sorry I feel for what must be a huge disappointment for him, I know he has been counting down the days.

Edited by fbhb
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

I'm sure he'll see this with the tagging, but yes, I will pass it on.

At the very least, he also received his new Nikola Plus (different purchasing venue) in perfect working order, at the same time today, so he at least has that to console him.

Thanks. Not a complete disaster then, but still gut wrenching!!!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Arbolest said:

11 hours ago, houseofjob said:

But I still hear of Monsters shipping to buyers with damage around the handle from transit.

KingSong has done this right.

When you turn on the wheel (talking about the KS16X, don't know for the others) it is in locked state. The gyro doesn't work, the wheel won't spin. You need to unlock the wheel with their app or it won't spin up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2