What new features would you like to see in the next generation of wheels? ✨

chrisjunlee

43 minutes ago, paulz said:

Pedals that raise up when the unit is picked up, and lower when the unit is set on the ground.  @scubadragosan Already said this, but I'm saying it again.

That would be pretty awesome, but not sure how they it would be done with a reliable, maintenance free mechanism.

How about spring loaded pedals as a compromise? Ones that wouldn't spring up until they're gently nudged past a certain threshold.

21 hours ago, Esper said:

You keep saying voltage. I think you're talking about watt hours.. I still think that if there are 2, 3, 4, even 5 sets of batteries, a normal person would think of taking out all the batteries and replacing all of them at once. If you have a remote for your TV at home that dies, you don't just replace 1 of the 4 batteries. I feel like common sense would say that they'd replace both of the dead batteries with fresh ones.

In the case of equalizing, why not just make the wheel be able to run on 1 battery if only 1 is plugged in, have external battery chargers, individual battery gauge lights, and if there are 2 batteries plugged in, it can pull from both at the same time after, lets say a 20 second boot sequence that measures the batteries. I mean, I can think of solutions for this idea and I am not even in this profession. If you and I can think of ideas to prevent possible failure points at a stage at which it's not even invented, I think the designers of the product can think of theses things as well and it'll turn out fine.

None of this takes away from my desire to still have hot swap batteries.
EUC manufacturers, if you're reading this, please make it a thing, I really want this to be a thing. Just don't make the batteries disposable for extra money in your pockets. 

Edit. I think voltage for a full 84v battery and a dead 84v battery changes from like 84.2v to like 80v or something like that. I remember I had an issue with my charger not charging above 81.4v and my battery only charged to like 10% I can't remember the exact numbers though.

Pretty sure he knows the difference between voltage and Wh.

The technical challenge he's bringing up is thus: Let's say your main battery is at 75 volts. You then plug in an auxiliary battery at 84 volts. There's a 9V potential difference between 84 and 75 volts, and with the low internal resistance of lithium batteries, you get a huge current spike into the lower voltage battery.

With that said, this is a solved issue with either a digital or analog switching circuit. You would also have to handle the charging scenario as well (charging two battery packs at different starting voltages), but again, that's a solved problem.

7 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

That would be pretty awesome, but not sure how they it would be done with a reliable, maintenance free mechanism.

Some magnet magic shouldn't be too hard? Electromagnet to push the pedals down (either replacing the permanent holding magnet or, better,  used shortly to overpower it) and you move the pedals up by... umm...  if the pedals are mounted with little resistance, some simple electromagnet should be enough, right? Can't be too hard.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

edit: Looks like it doesn't rotate, only goes forwards/backwards and strafes.

The video was what I found fast. The wheel consist of a ring of rounded wheels that can make up the staff motion. But it balances like EUC in front/reverse motion. You can turn it sideways similar to an EUC. 

How it handles potholes and such I can't tell, I guess it is limited in that regard. 

Couple of things that would make my city errand life easier:

• kickstand: I've been laying it on the side or along the wall near store entrances, and that feels a bit janky and precarious compared to it free standing. And also important: it would convey a polished and sleek lifestyle/experience to normies (and boy do I have lookers).
  • always on bluetooth telemetry: state of charge (enables app alerts for charge thresholds), proximity (theft deterrent and lo-jack like recovery)
  • accessory mounting brackets/system + standardize it: this is a low hanging fruit that can enable creative uses cases we're unable to think of at the moment
    • practical use cases: gopros, more powerful lights for "off roading", top bags, universal seats!
    • niche use cases: sturdy mounting point for 360 camera selfie stick, external battery pack, e-wheels business card dispenser @Jason McNeil
    • who-knows: trailers, bidet, mini hamster seat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Pretty sure he knows the difference between voltage and Wh.

The technical challenge he's bringing up is thus: Let's say your main battery is at 75 volts. You then plug in an auxiliary battery at 84 volts. There's a 9V potential difference between 84 and 75 volts, and with the low internal resistance of lithium batteries, you get a huge current spike into the lower voltage battery.

With that said, this is a solved issue with either a digital or analog switching circuit. You would also have to handle the charging scenario as well (charging two battery packs at different starting voltages), but again, that's a solved problem.

I think an analog/digital circuit switch is a brilliant idea and exactly what I was thinking of. That's how sailboats work. They have multiple rechargeable marine batteries hooked to analog switches. You can go to the battery and "connect" them to battery A, battery B or Both. While connected it's attached to the engine and can charge. The reason they do this is so that you don't accidentally kill all your batteries while at sea.

What if we could have an internal sensor monitor the batteries and switch to the higher voltage one and then activate both when they are equal? Would that be too difficult?

1 hour ago, Esper said:

I think an analog/digital circuit switch is a brilliant idea and exactly what I was thinking of. That's how sailboats work. They have multiple rechargeable marine batteries hooked to analog switches. You can go to the battery and "connect" them to battery A, battery B or Both. While connected it's attached to the engine and can charge. The reason they do this is so that you don't accidentally kill all your batteries while at sea.

What if we could have an internal sensor monitor the batteries and switch to the higher voltage one and then activate both when they are equal? Would that be too difficult?

By "analog" I meant traditional microchip-less circuits, whereas digital circuits have a microcontroller. There would be nothing manual about it, the circuit cleverly handles switching and load balancing.

I'm not sure if this is something under the scope of a "BMS". @esaj

A simple mod I plan to do is attach a flash light mount to the front, even if it won't be aligned dual headlights are noticeable from afar.  

• built-in dash cam for front EUC 
  • Obnoxious HORN with wireless remote!
  • Built in turn signal led lights that rings the whole side of foot pedal and a Left/Right controller on the horn remote 

I wonder which maker would figure out how to stealth hide a kick-stand into the frame that swings out from the rear would be the cherry on top.  What worries me about kickstands is if by some chance pops out while moving.

Edited by giggidditygiggiddity
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

3) a fail safe system protecting rider from face plants if ever there is a battery cutoff or any mechanical failures.

I thought the IPS S5 already has a dual battery pack design, so if one battery pack is cutoff, the other battery pack can safetly bring the rider to a stop.  But nobody can actually tell me if this is how it works.

Edited by hyiu00

14 hours ago, giggidditygiggiddity said:

A simple mod I plan to do is attach a flash light mount to the front, even if it won't be aligned dual headlights are noticeable from afar.  

• built-in dash cam for front EUC 
  • Obnoxious HORN with wireless remote!
  • Built in turn signal led lights that rings the whole side of foot pedal and a Left/Right controller on the horn remote 

I wonder which maker would figure out how to stealth hide a kick-stand into the frame that swings out from the rear would be the cherry on top.  What worries me about kickstands is if by some chance pops out while moving.

What kind of mount are you planning on going with? Seems like Gopro is the only standardized mounting system at this point.

8 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

What kind of mount are you planning on going with?

Just an idea for now, a clip mount for quick snapping in and removal, the pic is just a sample - 3d printed clips.

I picked up bike/motorcycle alarm for the cheap on amazon. has a wireless remote and various tones, think there's 2 that would be useful for alerting pedestrians from behind.

720X720-20180528-174848.jpg

71BS3m+BbXL._SL1500_.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:30 AM, Rehab1 said:

Being that  @The Fat Unicyclist is ‘rolling’ in the big bucks at https://www.roll.nz  how about a free complimentary Bodyguard included with every next generation wheel. ;)

Actually, anyone buying a wheel from us gets the EUC Bodyguard for 1/3 off!   :D

But if we were to give them away, we won't be able to afford to come to the LA EUC Games.   :crying:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...