What new features would you like to see in the next generation of wheels? ✨

chrisjunlee

Coming over from the stoneage onewheel, I'm amazed at how quickly EUC's have innovated with quality of life features such as USB ports, bluetooth, and 4.1 surround sound speakers!

With that said, what new accessories/features would you like to see? 

To be clear, we're not talking about improvements on existing features (such as stronger motor, or higher battery capacity). I want this to be a think outside the box brainstorming.

Ideally we can think of something of trivial effort in order to expand the user experience. The USB port is the perfect example: it was easy to add, and it morphed your EUC into a mobile external battery! But before anyone implemented it, it wasn't obvious at all.

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Upvote 3

How about a completely hollow wheel like you can see straight through it where the foot plates actually look like they are hovering, maybe playing with the foot plate concept. Or maybe like a bmx stunt-peg style EUC with no 'plates' as such, just pegs/bars....that would be very different!

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Pff that is 2018. The 16X has 6.1 speakers! Believe it or not:cheers: 3 on each side and a central spine bass speaker. (Image by EcoDrift)

omg, that's awesome! Whenever I sell my onewheel friends on EUCs, I love ending with "and they come with 5.1 bluetooth surround sound, cause that's a thing now". That detail is peak cherry on top 🤣

3 minutes ago, AlexEssex said:

How about a completely hollow wheel like you can see straight through it where the foot plates actually look like they are hovering, maybe playing with the foot plate concept. Or maybe like a bmx stunt-peg style EUC with no 'plates' as such, just pegs/bars....that would be very different!

That's a bit too futuristic concept model, but I like it!

2 minutes ago, AlexEssex said:

They make electric scooters now where the wheels are completely hollow, wont be long before an EUC manufacturer does something crazy like that!

I remember seeing a 10" hollow wheel; wonder what the ride quality is like.

12 hours ago, AlexEssex said:

12 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

That's a bit too futuristic concept model, but I like it!

Its already in production since 2 years ago :efee6b18f3:

Edited by yuweng
Update info & add video

I think this particular question has been asked multiple times over the years and a few times in this forum. 

In every single one I say the same thing and I'll keep on saying it until it becomes a reality.

!HOT SWAP BATTERIES!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Esper said:

I think this particular question has been asked multiple times over the years and a few times in this forum. 

As new people join here, everything is cyclical. So let them have a go!

While we're at it:

6 minutes ago, Esper said:

In every single one I say the same thing and I'll keep on saying it until it becomes a reality.

!HOT SWAP BATTERIES!

2 questions:

What happens if you connect two batteries with a different voltages?

How much do you trust everyday people to understand and check battery voltages before plugging in batteries?

Good luck with this. It's not impossible, but it is tricky. I'm not expecting it any time soon in mainstream wheels (the rumored Kingsong mini/travel wheel is supposed to have the functionality, though).

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

2 questions:

What happens if you connect two batteries with a different voltages?

How much do you trust everyday people to understand and check battery voltages before plugging in batteries?

Good luck with this. It's not impossible, but it is tricky. I'm not expecting it any time soon in mainstream wheels (the rumored Kingsong mini/travel wheel is supposed to have the functionality, though).

In what sense do you mean for "two batteries with different voltages"? because the way I imagine hot swap is something like this. 
Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-18V-3000mAh-Co 
Like the way many cordless tools work, have a battery encased in a plastic container with a clip in feature making it a hot swap battery. Have an entire unit, not a pack like a bunch of 18650 loose in your bag. I have no idea what you're imagining. Maybe you can describe it for me.

To add onto my idea, since maybe I haven't mentioned it before. Each brand wheel would have their own battery pack shape and size. A 100v pack would be different from a normal 84v battery pack in shape so It would be very difficult for an "everyday person" to mess up on accident. Just like plugging in a 8v drill battery into a 12v drill. They don't fit. 

Edited by Esper

With EUCs, you might very well have two (hot-swap) batteries and then you have the problem. You're right that a single battery is totally fine in this regard.

I'm imagining someone plugging the second battery in and then the wheel goes up in flames.

Yes, there's ways around this, but it's still not trivial (we're talking about the real world EUC manufacturers;)).

I'm not sure how this would work, but some sort of variable lateral stabilization would be cool. That way, you could get a start on the wheel and then dial back the lateral stabilization progressively. It could also be useful for longer trips where you don't intend to hit sharp corners. 

True magnetic pedals © where one's shoes become attached electromagnetically with the pedals for better control and higher jumps (with a kill switch of course)

Edited by wheelr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elder Meat said:

It's called a gyroscope. Problem is where you would have one is where the hub motor is. Here's an example: 

They already have a gyroscope -- it just stabilizes the unit forward to back. So the idea would be to add a lateral gyro as well. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 2:21 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm imagining someone plugging the second battery in and then the wheel goes up in flames.

How does this work? Wouldn't you have to normally detach a battery before plugging in the second? In what scenario have you seen someone plug in a fresh battery and something go up in flames? The only way I could possibly see this happening is if the polarities are crossed and the electricity within the battery pack short circuited and caused a spark or flame. This doesn't happen if you plug in a new battery into a laptop or into a phone. This doesn't happen when you replace the battery in a car.

The battery pack would be a closed system with special grooves and edges to insure it placed inside your device the proper way. ie; cordless power tools. In order to place this new second battery into your device you would need to stop, get off, turn off your device, then remove the battery that's almost dead, and place the new one that's charged inside the device, turn the device back on, then get on and keep riding.

Edited by Esper

21 minutes ago, Elder Meat said:

Nope. EUCs have gyro sensors (to measure angular rate and angular velocity), not gyroscopes (a physical disk that spins rapidly). Two totally different things.

Maybe you understand this better than I do? If not a gyroscope, what exactly keeps the wheel from going forward and back? What's the mechanism? 

The unicycle just spins the wheel to keep you balanced, that's all.  It's the same as a regular unicycle or popping a wheelie on a bike, except that the computer is calculating the amount of spin needed with the help of the gyroscope sensors.