Z10 as a beginner and only wheel?

Hi, EUCers!

Incoming newbie here seeking advice on whether it is advisable to get the Ninebot One Z10 as my first and only wheel. I have some skateboarding experience from my teen days but that's a whole lifetime ago. 

I am in Malaysia where Ninebot has an official presence and from whom I would purchase the Z10, so I believe support won't be as spotty as I see it is in US/EU.

Use case: I lie to myself that it will be commuting/mixed use but the truth is it will most likely be used purely for joyriding with some gratuitous errand runs thrown in to justify the purchase. I have both a car and moped for long- and medium-range transport. My workplace is about 6km (4 miles) from my home but I would just use my moped for that as it would be so much faster. 

I've actually booked the InMotion V8, thinking this should be my starter wheel. But I worry that I'll get bored of the 30km/h speed in a few short weeks. Although I suppose this also means that I am less apt to break my neck flying off a much faster wheel that I probably won't have learned to fully control yet, but I just can't keep lusting after the Z10.

Would really appreciate any feedback on my intended lunacy.

PS There aren't any sellers peddling KingSong and GotWay in Malaysia so it's just InMotion and Ninebot at the moment. For GotWay and KingSong, I'd have to make my way down to Singapore to pick them up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to the insanity forum @Fidgety Spinner!

If you are planning to only have one wheel then yes, it is probable that after you "get your roll on" you will find that 30 km/h will seem frustratingly constrained. So aiming for a wheel that you won't outgrow as easily makes good sense... Having said that, everyone's "first wheel" tends to take a fair bit more abuse than their subsequent wheels - this is the natural result of the learning curve.

Some riders opt for a lower spec'd wheel to learn on, before then swapping up to a more serious wheel - either flicking off the learner wheel, or keeping it as a back-up (and so that you can teach others). Where budget doesn't allow for that, then the alternative is to work out the wheel you want / need long term and then ensure it is as protected as possible while you learn.

[start_sales_pitch]
If you do go down the protection route, I sell the EUC Bodyguard, which provides excellent protection for both learning and beyond. Currently only for King Song wheels, but the range will be expanding soon.
[end_sales_pitch]

Getting back to the question of what your wheel might be... If you are thinking about the Z10 level of wheel, then your other considerations would be the KS-18L or Gotway MSX. Any of these wheels will be more than enough to start with and then grow into. Each has their own pros and cons, so it is a matter of working out what is important to you. And these are the things likie trolley handles, lift sensors, weight, speed, et cetera. All minor in the bg picture, but some aspects are potentially significant for your unique requirements - For example, if you have to carry it up 5 flights of stairs, then you should know that the Z10 is exceptionally heavy.

On the Z10... If you have been investigating, you are probably aware that it handles quite differently to other wheels. This isn't necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, it is just different - and if you only have the one wheel, it won't make any difference at all.

The other big consideration is the availability of local support. Having that can be an awesome advantage (particularly if you aren't inclined to get your hands dirty). If you are inclined to do a bit of your own maintenance though, I wouldn't weight that too highly.

I hope that helps a bit (even though I don't think I said much). And do ask if you have any more questions... The more specific the better.

• Upvote 1

I said go with the Z10.. You don't need to look elsewhere!

Superb styling, endless power, 40 miles range, cut off lift switch, build in stand, and trolley handle.

It is also  the easiest wheel to learn on because of the 4.1" tire and I'm sure everybody will agree with me.

Don't worry about scratches if roll.nz doesn't have it yet cuz Z10 has the best build quality out there. Showed it proudly like a battle scar!

I just parting with my Z10 today and it feels like one of my children got taken away :crying: (WhatamIsayingIdon'thaveanychildrenyet)

Edited by Kens
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Kens said:

I just parting with my Z10 today and it feels like one of my children got taken away :crying: (WhatamIsayingIdon'thaveanychildrenyet)

I am so sorry for your loss...

BTW - having had kids... By the time they finally leave, it's more of a party than a wake!   ;)

• Like 1

One consideration missing from this discussion is "ease of use" whereby a wheel can be easily moved around, lifted, trolleys, and especially moved in and out of cars (or other vehicles) at awkward angles.

My experience with the "open-wheel" form-factor that the MSX and Z10 have is that they need mudguards and that it's easy to accidentally pinch fingers between the shell and wheel, especially if you pick the wheel up by the rim. I don't think this matters with an enthusiast's wheel, but as a wheel you need to live with day to day, then the covered and round wheel form factor is far superior for day to day operations.

I think a moderate size wheel, with handle cutoff, and most of the wheel covered, would work better as an only wheel than the Z10. Maybe the KS16X?

The Z10 is as good as a first wheel as is every other wheel. If you see yourself wanting a Z10, it's the Z10 you should get. Nothing lunatic about it!

Though it's dumb that you don't have good access to GW/KS wheels. Wheel choice should be about the best wheel for you, not the best wheel for you that's available. You might very well still end up with a Z10, but it would be nice if you can consider all the options.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kens said:

I said go with the Z10.. You don't need to look elsewhere!

Superb styling, endless power, 40 miles range, cut off lift switch, build in stand, and trolley handle.

It is also  the easiest wheel to learn on because of the 4.1" tire and I'm sure everybody will agree with me.

Don't worry about scratches if roll.nz doesn't have it yet cuz Z10 has the best build quality out there. Showed it proudly like a battle scar!

What does this mean? You sold your Z10? Why? For what?

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur

I was short with money, and very unsure whether I will like EUC or not at all...

I was impressed by the look and specs of Z10, but for its price I could upgrade my car instead...

I went for Nb E+ because of much more friendly price,and I thought I won't cry as much if I don't like riding EUCs at all  :)

Unfortunately :) I found out I love to commute on EUC :)

I have outgrown E+ in couple of weeks, and been experiencing speed and the range limits, what was taking the whole joy of riding away...

Luckily the boost of additional money landed into my pocket, so I could afford for upgrade in three months time.

I wish I could predict that happened, and wait a bit longer, and buy the Z10 at first place.

I find out I was very caution beginner, and my E+ was looking very good after the learning weeks, not many scratches on the body, I did drop it on each side very few times, because of losing balance only, I have never fell off indeed.

This is why I think I could go for Z10 straight away.

If you like me, then protect the Z10 with the pads, and enjoy it as I do :)

It's riding different, so really .., starting with any other wheel instead, won't give you much more experience, because you'll have to get used to Z10 anyway...

Good luck !!! 

On 6/15/2019 at 11:31 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Welcome to the insanity forum @Fidgety Spinner

Some riders opt for a lower spec'd wheel to learn on, before then swapping up to a more serious wheel - either flicking off the learner wheel, or keeping it as a back-up (and so that you can teach others). Where budget doesn't allow for that, then the alternative is to work out the wheel you want / need long term and then ensure it is as protected as possible while you learn.

@The Fat Unicyclist Thanks for the welcome, it sure looks sane here!

I'm still considering getting the V8 so I have a spare wheel that I could use to try and convince the SO to ride, which could then be packaged as "couple's time" aka extra riding time!

On specifics, this will honestly be an expensive toy so there aren't really many practical considerations beyond how advisable it might be for a new rider to start on something like the Z10. I assume it's like getting a 600cc supersport as your starter bike and I'm just worried that my impulsivity will make that a bad decision.

Thanks for clueing me in to your EUC protection, but sadly I am limited to just Inmotion and Ninebot where I am.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, Kens said:

It is also the easiest wheel to learn on because of the 4.1" tire and I'm sure everybody will agree with me.

@Kens I'm banking on that but also worried I won't know how to ride a slim-tyred EUC if I ever encounter one. (Although the chances of that happening are slim to none!)

On 6/15/2019 at 11:23 PM, LanghamP said:

I think a moderate size wheel, with handle cutoff, and most of the wheel covered, would work better as an only wheel than the Z10. Maybe the KS16X?

@LanghamP This will be mostly a joyrider so I don't expect to be taking it into public transport much. Sadly, only 9B has an official presence in Malaysia. Inmotion is brought in piecemeal by a couple of grey importers. Gotway and KingSong are only available down in Singapore. 

On 6/15/2019 at 11:29 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

The Z10 is as good as a first wheel as is every other wheel. If you see yourself wanting a Z10, it's the Z10 you should get. Nothing lunatic about it!

Though it's dumb that you don't have good access to GW/KS wheels. Wheel choice should be about the best wheel for you, not the best wheel for you that's available. You might very well still end up with a Z10, but it would be nice if you can consider all the options.

@meepmeepmayer Haha! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

It is sad that there are so few choices here but Malaysia is a tropical country where day temps are generally in the mid-30s C (but feels like high-30s to low-40s due to the high humidity), so, not many outdoorsy activities actually catch on here. Our national pastimes are window-shopping and growing obese. In that sense, it's actually lucky that I even have the Z10 and V8 to consider!

On 6/16/2019 at 2:11 AM, PogArt Artur said:

I have outgrown E+ in couple of weeks, and been experiencing speed and the range limits, what was taking the whole joy of riding away...

@PogArt Artur That is my concern as well! 

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to reply. It looks like the Z10 is going to be the *cough* most sensible *cough* choice, given what's available! Really looking forward to being a part of this community.

• Upvote 1

On 6/13/2019 at 7:28 AM, Fidgety Spinner said:

Hi, EUCers!

Incoming newbie here seeking advice on whether it is advisable to get the Ninebot One Z10 as my first and only wheel. I have some skateboarding experience from my teen days but that's a whole lifetime ago. 

I am in Malaysia where Ninebot has an official presence and from whom I would purchase the Z10, so I believe support won't be as spotty as I see it is in US/EU.

Use case: I lie to myself that it will be commuting/mixed use but the truth is it will most likely be used purely for joyriding with some gratuitous errand runs thrown in to justify the purchase. I have both a car and moped for long- and medium-range transport. My workplace is about 6km (4 miles) from my home but I would just use my moped for that as it would be so much faster. 

I've actually booked the InMotion V8, thinking this should be my starter wheel. But I worry that I'll get bored of the 30km/h speed in a few short weeks. Although I suppose this also means that I am less apt to break my neck flying off a much faster wheel that I probably won't have learned to fully control yet, but I just can't keep lusting after the Z10.

Would really appreciate any feedback on my intended lunacy.

PS There aren't any sellers peddling KingSong and GotWay in Malaysia so it's just InMotion and Ninebot at the moment. For GotWay and KingSong, I'd have to make my way down to Singapore to pick them up.

let me share also my newbie point of view! got my V5f and like you I'm not gonna commute to work but use it in free time, when in downtown and so on! 

max speed is 25km/h and trust me for "our" use is not bad at all: when you walk you reach about 5km/h (5times slower yes) when you run fast 13km/h (so you still go 2 times faster) and the wheel is light compared to others (in this case z10 is 2 times heavier)! I didn't get bored after 6months of use, I'm not gonna use it to challenge others, neither I plan to do 40km in one session (but hey I did 40km in one session recently.. but that's like once in a while) and also how do you know you'll like it or not? going for a no recent model, save some money and learn (torque on most recent euc is high.. you need to learn to feed bite by bite ur fast and furious instinct)! your job is only 6km from your place you might end up doing it daily with your euc :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fidgety Spinner said:

I assume it's like getting a 600cc supersport as your starter bike and I'm just worried that my impulsivity will make that a bad decision.

@Kens I'm banking on that but also worried I won't know how to ride a slim-tyred EUC if I ever encounter one. (Although the chances of that happening are slim to none!)

Theres nothing wrong with a 600cc Supersport as your first bike either. Mine was a Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, straight after I got off my learner 125cc.

Fast bikes (and cars) are only as quick as your wrist or foot want them to be. Same applies to EUC's. Depends whether you are the sort of person who has self-control or not I guess. Further, I find the Z requires more effort to accelerate hard off the line than my V5F so it's not like the Z will feel decidedly quicker until you are already doing 10mph or so.

With regards to being worried afterwards about riding a slim-tyred EUC (might as well say anything other than a Z as they are so unique in terms of riding style) it's not a major problem. I went on my V5 the other day for the first time in about 2 months and could ride it fine. Not as good as I could before I got the Z I grant you, but it wasn't a major issue at all.

As regards to speed in general, I still don't go over 20mph after riding for some 5 months now. I don't commute with it so time isn't an issue and I enjoy leisurely rides where I don't have to work to hard at spotting surface issues before I am on them. I got a Z6 because I needed something with at least the same range as my daughter on the V5F, and it was the right price being secondhand. I am only really upgrading to the Z10 to get more range, not speed. So whilst I would be the first person to talk someone into a Z (I love them) you may be fine with anything else which has a reasonable range. There comes a point though when wheels like the V5 will generally be outgrown as 15mph is 'comfortable' and the V5 is at it's limit at that speed so I didn't like riding it at that with my 90kg, preferring to ride around 12mph to leave me a little headroom.

All depends what you want to do with it. As posted above, Simone is very happy after 6 months with a V5, as would you (probably) if you just like gentle evening cruises for no more than 12 or so miles. It's a great wheel, as is the V8 and V10.

But I still reckon you should get the Z10 :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

@Fidgety Spinner

Welcome on board...welcome on the forum...welcome.to the crazy EUC sports!

Btw.

If you have no local KS dealer....you could contact KS directly and i guess they would be happy to send you a wheel to your Home Door :-)

If you really think about that contact me by PM and i give you all details!

What this „choice of first wheel“ belongs....i am part of those, which say „directly buy the best wheel or wheel you want to have“....dont go over slow and cheap learning wheels....they might be able to take the fun away from the EUC sports....or can even be dangerous!

So yeah....i would recommend getting a KS18L/XL KS16 or Gotway MSX GW Tesla or Nicola or Z10...if you really want to go into it! 

While -to be honest- i would not „really“ recommed the Z10.....especially as first wheel, thinking about it could be battery empty when it arrives at your home, or even something worse. My opinion ...

Most important: Have Fun!!!

1 hour ago, US69 said:

@Fidgety Spinner

What this „choice of first wheel“ belongs....i am part of those, which say „directly buy the best wheel or wheel you want to have“....dont go over slow and cheap learning wheels....they might be able to take the fun away from the EUC sports....or can even be dangerous!

Most important: Have Fun!!!

lol seriously? you are telling this guy to get one of the wheel you can help to get (and you simply get any sort of commission..) and you are telling him earlier wheel might be dangerous? lol

I never had any sort of problem with my V5f and feels so good cause it fits my needs which is extremely the same as our new member! 

Edited by Simone Malicius

I gave my honest opinion about some 18inch wheels, yeah, one of them was a KS.

Other than that:

No, i get no comission at all...my point was more that even in countrys without KS or GW recognized seller you are able to get one!

Second: Did i say anything wrong about the v5f? i dont think so....my point was to nameless wheels, 300dollar toys...which go 12mph and then shut off. Perhaps i should have made that more clear....but in no way i was pointing to the v5f...which really is a good starter wheel.

Nonetheless, when we are now at the v5f: I personally started with a faster (30kmh) and more powerfull (840wh) 14inch wheel.....and after learning driving it....it very fast becomes clear that i want more...i dont know? 4 weeks?! i ordered a faster 18inch....

For you the 5f is still fast enough? Fine! But plenty of people regret spending their money on a ....lets say nowadays not premium or subpar wheel and directly after learning spend money again, to fullfill their needs!

So WHEN going for a 14inch...i would recommend the Gotway MCM5, 800wh, 40kmh speed, King of torque and power and speed.

For 16Inch...i would recommend the Gotway Nikola, Tesla or KS16X

For 18inch...i would recommend the KS18L or the GW MSX.

So yeah, “Lol Seriously”, as having quite a bit experience i personally would recommed the wheels i mentioned. 

Perhaps i should get a extra line in my signature:

”even when helping out KS in my free time as a hobby.....i am still a human beeing with his OWN opinion”

So yeah....Lol

Edited by US69
  • Like 1

I wussed out in the end and got the V8; the Z10 was simply too heavy for me!

I went to try and learn on the Z10 and quickly discovered that a rolling, tumbling 50lbs wheel was not quite like the 45lbs plates at the gym! Gawdamn I was exhausted having to keep picking it up. Even the V8 felt heavy as I was gasping for air from trying to hop along!

Well, after three days, countless bruises, and one sprained finger, I am finally able to ride it like a poorly coordinated clown, but damn if I don't feel like Bozo in TRON! 

@Simone Malicius That is some great advice. I am riding the V8 at a limited 12kph (8mph?) and it already feels rather fast haha. Not as young and not as dumb anymore, hopefully.

@Planemo I have (had?) very poor impulse control and tend to realise I am being stupid only as I am picking myself up, so I doubt I'd be alive to type this if I had started on a 600cc or a litre bike like you!

@Maartenv Malaysian roads are not conducive for anything that is not a motor vehicle. Our unofficial national pastime is trying to run over tourists silly enough to trust crosswalks while sidewalks can also be as narrow as one foot. No bueno for an EUC. Plus our speed limits are more like unofficial guidelines so a 6km moped ride through suburbia is like 10 minutes tops.

@US69 Thanks for the welcome and the offer :)

• Upvote 1

Welcome fellow neighbor @Fidgety Spinner!

I believe we have similar conditions if not worse than you here in Indonesia, but at least I have been managed to keep riding and commuting on EUC here for the past 3 years. Hope you will enjoy it more than I do! :cheers:

30 minutes ago, z3n said:

Welcome fellow neighbor @Fidgety Spinner!

I believe we have similar conditions if not worse than you here in Indonesia, but at least I have been managed to keep riding and commuting on EUC here for the past 3 years. Hope you will enjoy it more than I do! :cheers:

Enjoy more of what? Running over tourists that silly enough to trust crosswalks? :laughbounce2:

23 minutes ago, Kens said:

Enjoy more of what? Running over tourists that silly enough to trust crosswalks? :laughbounce2:

You better believe it if you ever visit here! Never trust a driver in Malaysia to yield to pedestrians. 

Just visited Sydney and, damn, it was refreshing to be able to cross roads without feeling like Frogger 😂

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Fidgety Spinner said:

@z3n Hello and thank you.

If you are riding through the streets of Jakarta, then I tip my hat at you! You have more intimidating traffic than we do over here. 

I think I'd struggle even on a scooter there, haha! 

Thank you for the compliment, but I survived. :ph34r:

I used to keep blasting this song out loud before I ride though... :whistling:

40 minutes ago, Kens said:

To be honest, it's all part of survival of the fittest anyway. Law of the jungle does apply here in third world countries. :thumbup:

• Like 2