Reflections - One Month on the KS18XL

NylahTay

Great review and follow up. I haven’t even gotten my KS18XL yet and I am already debating what my next wheel will be. Reading about your satisfaction really makes me a little more relaxed about my choice. I have a OneWheel occupying my time currently to play with until it arrives. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NylahTay said:

I use this as my primary mode of transportation

To me this is one of the coolest uses of EUCs. It seems to me that only a small percentage of EUC owners use the EUC as primary transportation. I like reports like yours that show EUCs can be "serious" vehicles, not just recreational fun. My EUC (currently KS18XL) is not my primary transportation, but do use it often for "serious" uses like grocery shopping. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NylahTay said:

The original charger takes forever to charge it. I've plugged it in all night before and still haven't gotten it to a full charge. I'm thankful for the speed charger when I need a quick recharge to go back out.

I got dual chargers with my 18XL from @Nevin@Tec-toyz.com

Edited by MaxLinux

2 minutes ago, NylahTay said:

Yeah, I've considered plugging both the speed charger I have from ewheels.com and the original charger into it for a fast charge but am a little weary about that. 

I think eWheels warns against doing that, that the wiring can't handle that kind of charging load.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, NylahTay said:

Yeah, I've considered plugging both the speed charger I have from ewheels.com and the original charger into it for a fast charge but am a little weary about that. 

I emailed Jason about this and he discouraged it.  He says potentially bad things can happen.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

I think eWheels warns against doing that, that the wiring can't handle that kind of charging load.

3 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I emailed Jason about this and he discouraged it.  He says potentially bad things can happen.

Yeah, I figured so. The ewheels charger is so big that it really does charge the wheel up pretty fast so I'm satisfied with it. But that is very good to know information. Thanks guys!

• Like 2

@NylahTay I don't recall if this is your first wheel. But I think it is an amazing distance you have covered already.

Just a short question (incase it is your first EUC), if you think back before you purchased the wheel and compared to now a month later, how much do you think the wheel have changed your week? 

I hope you have safe rides. 

47 minutes ago, Unventor said:

@NylahTay I don't recall if this is your first wheel. But I think it is an amazing distance you have covered already.

Just a short question (incase it is your first EUC), if you think back before you purchased the wheel and compared to now a month later, how much do you think the wheel have changed your week? 

I hope you have safe rides. 

This is my second wheel, my first was the ninebot S1, Yes I get around a lot faster. Less having to recharge, less needing to use a car. Go anywhere without having to worry about my wheel dying.  Oh and my diet has also changed, I'm eating cereal and Vienna sausage because it took a nice chuck from my purse to purchase the wheel.  $$$, jk lol

6 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

What do you mean here? I don't think I could balance it on the tiny mudflap and have it stand up. 

When you set it down against a wall, it doesn't stay upright, it rotates to its front or back because it's pretty top heavy. I wasn't noticing that many times it would rotate on its backside where the mudflap is and it caused the mudflap to go up each time slowly creating stress on the rubber and eventually ripping it off. I didn't notice will the damage was done and the mudflap was already half hanging on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NylahTay said:

When you set it down against a wall, it doesn't stay upright, it rotates to its front or back because it's pretty top heavy. I wasn't noticing that many times it would rotate on its backside where the mudflap is and it caused the mudflap to go up each time slowly creating stress on the rubber and eventually ripping it off. I didn't notice will the damage was done and the mudflap was already half hanging on.

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/kingsong-parts/products/ks18xl-mudguard

But I would expect @Jason McNeil would be able to assist too.

Personal I prefer KS18L early batches style. It flexes a little different, seems to cover better too. Looks is debatable, but I hold nothing against how it looks. Main point here is function to me. And I think it is 👌👍

On 6/5/2019 at 2:44 AM, MaxLinux said:

My EUC (currently KS18XL) is not my primary transportation, but do use it often for "serious" uses like grocery shopping. 

Also I regularly used my previous wheel (MSuper V2) to pick up pizza. I used one of those red insulated pizza carriers. I never had a mishap, or even nearly had a mishap. I did cancel my EUC pizza transporting plans a few times when the wind was especially gusty. I don't want any extra complications with that big square to catch the wind! I haven't done a pizza run on my 18XL yet. I want to be thoroughly accustomed to the 18XL before taking on that challenge. But I expect eventually to resume my EUC pizza trips. Has anyone else carried pizza on a EUC?

On 6/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, NylahTay said:

Again, I use this on the streets only where I live so I'm not whipping it around, changing lanes or anything of that sort, I'm just riding it as if it were another vehicle in the flow of traffic. It stops quickly if needed, and it does such a good job of keeping you steady on the wheel. 

You may be dramatically underestimating your speed, especially if "you're as one" with the wheel, and it's just part of your body "down there". You think of going somewhere or doing something, and your feet/wheel combo take you there without thinking.

And it's for this reason alone that anyone buying an EUC, regardless of their usage case, should buy an 18 incher as their first wheel. The 14 inchers can later be your trick wheel, and the 16 inchers can be your dissatisfied compromise wheel.

The 18 inchers do give a strong sense of security, so much so that riding without any sort of protection is completely understandable. Could you trip and fall over walking to your mailbox? You could no sooner crash your 18 incher as your could lose your foot! Untrue, of course, but maybe very close to the truth.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say a 18" is a must in the city where you need reactiveness as well as being able to carry it. Not using protection based on sense of security wouldn't make sense in a high trafic environment either, as you don't control all the elements, no matter what wheel size.

Edited by Mimolette