Helmet Suggestions?

Hey all!

It seems like there is a lot of talk about helmets, particularly Bicycle vs. Motorcycle vs. MTB. But no one is really talking about Skateboard helmets!

Does anyone wear these? I was looking for something low key that was gunna protect my brain for when I'm riding in the city. I don't think I'm looking to commit to a full face yet and my commutes with be >20mph and >5miles a day.

If anyone has any experience picking a casual gear helmet I'd really appreciate it! I spent so long researching the wheel I wanted I didn't expect to have so much indecision when picking a helmet as well >.<

I was looking at something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JS6XUB8/ref=twister_B00L4T0GZ0?th=1 which is something that's relatively in my price range and seems OK with decent style. But I'm very open to suggestions. Might end up buying a full face in the future but for now I don't wanna be dropping $200 on a helmet, especially if I need to upgrade to a full face in the future.

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nickysneids said:

Hey all!

It seems like there is a lot of talk about helmets, particularly Bicycle vs. Motorcycle vs. MTB. But no one is really talking about Skateboard helmets!

Does anyone wear these? I was looking for something low key that was gunna protect my brain for when I'm riding in the city. I don't think I'm looking to commit to a full face yet and my commutes with be >20mph and >5miles a day.

If anyone has any experience picking a casual gear helmet I'd really appreciate it! I spent so long researching the wheel I wanted I didn't expect to have so much indecision when picking a helmet as well >.<

I was looking at something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JS6XUB8/ref=twister_B00L4T0GZ0?th=1 which is something that's relatively in my price range and seems OK with decent style. But I'm very open to suggestions. Might end up buying a full face in the future but for now I don't wanna be dropping $200 on a helmet, especially if I need to upgrade to a full face in the future.

Thanks!

The Triple 8 is a nice helmet for the price. It's comfy and good for multiple impacts. I use that same helmet when I'm not using my full face.

Better than nothing. Stay safe!

I went full motorcycle modular a couple of years back and don't regret it. Commuting daily in urban traffic at basically car speeds, 100+ miles/week... makes sense for my use case. Plus, I've found, I get more respect on the road... Drivers seem to take motorcycle helmets way more seriously than bicycle or skate helmets. You can pick up a (real) DOT modular for around $100. Way cheaper than new front teeth. We don't get your hot, sticky summers, though, I could see that being no fun.

FB_IMG_1555300888770.thumb.jpg.ee761228ae42d99ea10aa2aaad19e32b.jpg

1 hour ago, Jonesq said:

The Triple 8 is a nice helmet for the price. It's comfy and good for multiple impacts. I use that same helmet when I'm not using my full face.

Thanks for the feedback. Still kinda debating what to do, thinking I can't go wrong having this helmet and if I find I want to upgrade to a full face quickly I'll still have it as a casual piece.

1 hour ago, who_the said:

Better than nothing. Stay safe!

I went full motorcycle modular a couple of years back and don't regret it. Commuting daily in urban traffic at basically car speeds, 100+ miles/week... makes sense for my use case. Plus, I've found, I get more respect on the road... Drivers seem to take motorcycle helmets way more seriously than bicycle or skate helmets. You can pick up a (real) DOT modular for around $100. Way cheaper than new front teeth. We don't get your hot, sticky summers, though, I could see that being no fun.

FB_IMG_1555300888770.thumb.jpg.ee761228ae42d99ea10aa2aaad19e32b.jpg

That's an interesting observation on getting paid more respect... I'll likely get one eventually but seeing as I'm about to purchase my first *real* wheel (MCM5), I'll probably rock a casual helmet for a bit until I start to grow into the wheel and push the limits more.

48 minutes ago, wheelr said:

I really like the S1 Lifer Full-face. I haven't tested it yet (knock on wood) but it is light, cool and comfortable.

Those look nice! Pretty pricey but slick for sure.

• Like 1

Ahh helmet threads :) 

Fox Proframe is my full face helmet of choice, there are a little more details on that in link below. 

Started with triple 8 skateboard helmet I already had,  then smith optics cycling helmet, now the Fox. 

• Upvote 1

While the style is not skateboard, Cratoni C-Maniac might be right up your alley:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GFHZ4JP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0uM0CbXK0GB13

C-Maniac_black-white.png

Extremely light (~500g), removable chin guard, tightening wheel at the back, one-handed strap release, affordable at ~100€.

I’m very happy with mine, and it has already saved my face once from rough gravel.

The only negative is that it makes me think I could cleanly eat a banana, but I always mess up the chin guard anyway.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, prasket said:

Ahh helmet threads :) 

Fox Proframe is my full face helmet of choice, there are a little more details on that in link below. 

Started with triple 8 skateboard helmet I already had,  then smith optics cycling helmet, now the Fox. 

Oo damn this thing is nice! I could definitely see myself wearing that when I go with a full face!

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

While the style is not skateboard, Cratoni C-Maniac might be right up your alley:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GFHZ4JP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0uM0CbXK0GB13

C-Maniac_black-white.png

Extremely light (~500g), removable chin guard, tightening wheel at the back, one-handed strap release, affordable at ~100€.

I’m very happy with mine, and it has already saved my face once from rough gravel.

The only negative is that it makes me think I could cleanly eat a banana, but I always mess up the chin guard anyway.

Haha "The only negative is that it makes me think I could cleanly eat a banana" is a brand new sentence and I love it. Thanks for the input.. this would be a solid buy if I was looking to go for a cheaper full face. I really like the Proframe that someone commented about though :o

If you are considering a full face I highly recommend the TSG Pass. It's not only the best looking, imo, but the field of view is virtually unobstructed, the helmet is very aerodynamic, and its really comfortable.

• Like 3

I really like that Cratoni, looks really well ventilated and does what us euc'ers need without going for a full-on mtb helmet. I have been looking around for something for my daughter and I think she would be far more inclined to wear this than something heavier/bulkier. Cheers for the heads up :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I really like that Cratoni, looks really well ventilated and does what us euc'ers need without going for a full-on mtb helmet. I have been looking around for something for my daughter and I think she would be far more inclined to wear this than something heavier/bulkier. Cheers for the heads up :thumbup:

I don't know how old your daughter is, but this purple Bell 3R is pretty.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KXZ1X16/ref=twister_B01KXZ1WXK

They also have white with pink.

Hi Tessa, shes 12 although not much into pink, more black and red! The Bell is nice too, cheers, and undoubtably a good lid. I did show her the pic and I think she prefers the Cratoni on the basis that its not as hardcore in appearance. Oddly though, she still likes my 661 Reset and is undecided between it and the Cratoni, which I am surprised at given even the Reset is more hardcore than the Cratoni. Women and them making choices eh?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonesq said:

If you are considering a full face I highly recommend the TSG Pass. It's not only the best looking, imo, but the field of view is virtually unobstructed, the helmet is very aerodynamic, and its really comfortable.

I'm considering one but style definitely means more to me in this situation that it should.. that being said something slick and low key like the Fox Proframe would be more my speed. I do like the idea of being able to have full viability though! Do you find yourself getting warm in this at all?

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Good luck with finding something that fits her! That's really cool that your daughter is into EUC's, I'm trying to get my girlfriend into some sort of electric wheel so we can zoom together. I'm hoping she gets a one wheel pint so I can play with it too heheheh

48 minutes ago, nickysneids said:

I'm considering one but style definitely means more to me in this situation that it should.. that being said something slick and low key like the Fox Proframe would be more my speed. I do like the idea of being able to have full viability though! Do you find yourself getting warm in this at all?

Good luck with finding something that fits her! That's really cool that your daughter is into EUC's, I'm trying to get my girlfriend into some sort of electric wheel so we can zoom together. I'm hoping she gets a one wheel pint so I can play with it too heheheh

The hottest temp I've ridden around in is 85F so far and it wasn't too bad. The wind in your face definitely helps keep cool and the TSG vents well.

Another benefit of a full face helmet with a visor like the TSG is that the visor is a godsend for keeping dust, pollen, and bugs out of your face. 

8 minutes ago, Jonesq said:

The hottest temp I've ridden around in is 85F so far and it wasn't too bad. The wind in your face definitely helps keep cool and the TSG vents well.

Another benefit of a full face helmet with a visor like the TSG is that the visor is a godsend for keeping dust, pollen, and bugs out of your face. 

And should you ever get too hot you can make a small opening to vent it for a brief period. It is real easy to do due to a small edge on the buttom of the visor, even with any gloves on too.

The only downside I have is 3...

A ) it fit me so tight ot snug that I can wear earphones or hlasses/sunglases.

B ) Visor is exposed and get easy scratched if you are not carefully, handling the helmet.

C ) Either to have some sort of sunblocking effet visor (silver mirroed or tintet black) or none at all. In my MC helmet I can flick sun visor on or off on demand. I miss that on my TSG pass as tinted visort it not ideal at dusk or night.

Beside that I love it and still use it. Especially if it is very windy. Or if I need a compact light full face compared to my MC helmet.

Note: maybe a 4th thing in the downside. Spare visor is somewhat expecsive. And in the cold the visor can fog up easy. This last bit can be fixed by opening the visor 0.5 to1 cm. Enough to vent out you breath quickly.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

And should you ever get too hot you can make a small opening to vent it for a brief period. It is real easy to do due to a small edge on the buttom of the visor, even with any gloves on too.

The only downside I have is 3...

A ) it fit me so tight ot snug that I can wear earphones or hlasses/sunglases.

B ) Visor is exposed and get easy scratched if you are not carefully, handling the helmet.

C ) Either to have some sort of sunblocking effet visor (silver mirroed or tintet black) or none at all. In my MC helmet I can flick sun visor on or off on demand. I miss that on my TSG pass as tinted visort it not ideal at dusk or night.

Beside that I love it and still use it. Especially if it is very windy. Or if I need a compact light full face compared to my MC helmet.

Note: maybe a 4th thing in the downside. Spare visor is somewhat expecsive. And in the cold the visor can fog up easy. This last bit can be fixed by opening the visor 0.5 to1 cm. Enough to vent out you breath quickly.

Agree with all of these downsides. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Braxton Richard Wells said:

How does everyone feel about the Giro Switchblade compared to the other ideas thrown out?

I didn't try it because these guys only gave it three stars, and the gripes they had with it sounded problematic.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/biking/downhill-helmet/giro-switchblade-mips

Edited by erk1024

21 hours ago, erk1024 said:

I didn't try it because these guys only gave it three stars, and the gripes they had with it sounded problematic.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/biking/downhill-helmet/giro-switchblade-mips

Ya know I didn't think the review made it seem that bad. The worst thing is that it doesn't vent well for long slow uphill which for a bike I get, but on a Wheel you're not really at that same level of output, and honestly you could probably go fast enough to maintain some airflow.

• Upvote 2

On 5/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, nickysneids said:

Hey all!

Thanks!

I would skip it and just get full face, if it gets hot during supper, get good air flow, you can always add layer but cannot remove one when it get Hot......

Guest PogArt Artur

10 minutes ago, stephen said:

Just got a good deal on amazon on the met parachute 😊

Screenshot-20190511-080111-com-amazon-m-

That's very cheap,compared to usual price!

I'll check later if the S is the same price...

... I didn't find that deal...

1252489207_Screenshot_20190511-104904_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.abf4932d8eca56f37d6c86e487f17fe1.jpg

Edited by PogArt Artur