Helmet Suggestions?

23 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

That's very cheap,compared to usual price!

I'll check later if the S is the same price...

... I didn't find that deal...

1252489207_Screenshot_20190511-104904_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.abf4932d8eca56f37d6c86e487f17fe1.jpg

Oooh looks like they just gone up, i glad i bought it when i did 😊😊

Guest PogArt Artur
2 minutes ago, stephen said:

Oooh looks like they just gone up, i glad i bought it when i did 😊😊

So you've got it !

Wow, it's great helmet, VERY LIGHT !

Well done regarding that deal :)

2 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

So you've got it !

Wow, it's great helmet, VERY LIGHT !

Well done regarding that deal :)

Yeah i bought it I've been looking for a good price on that helmet 😊 

Guest PogArt Artur
17 minutes ago, stephen said:

Yeah i bought it I've been looking for a good price on that helmet 😊 

It'll be hard to beat tat price up,you've paid :)

I love it,but I'm still unsure about the air vents vis british rainy weather ... :(

Guest PogArt Artur
23 minutes ago, stephen said:

Arriving Tuesday with Amazon prime 😊

I won't be home though going to Blackpool for 3 days wheeling by myself 😁

Share your address please, I'll receive it :):):) ... !!! 

1 minute ago, PogArt Artur said:

It'll be hard to beat tat price up,you've paid :)

I love it,but I'm still unsure about the air vents vis british rainy weather ... :(

I try not to do rain tbh , yeah it was amazing price I'll update when i receive it 😊

Guest PogArt Artur
30 minutes ago, stephen said:

I try not to do rain tbh , yeah it was amazing price I'll update when i receive it 😊

I'm waiting for the review then :)

On 5/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, nickysneids said:

Might end up buying a full face in the future but for now I don't wanna be dropping $200 on a helmet, especially if I need to upgrade to a full face in the future.

I'd skip the cheap clamshell bike helmets, like Triple 8, etc. You'll get no protection from facial and dental injuries which are likely if you have a classic faceplant.

I use the Bell Super 3R, and the TSG Pass Pro in cooler weather. Both look cool and are super lightweight (less than 1kg). The Bell has MIPS, comes in lots of colors, and is convertible - you can remove the chin bar if you still want to use it as a clamshell. It has fantastic ventilation and can be found on sale for $100-150 on Amazon if you're patient. The Super 2R is essentially the same and can sometimes be found for less. If you want even more safety the Bell Super DH costs a little more but is fully DH-rated. Both helmets are @Rehab1 tested and approved!

I also have the TSG Pass Pro (~$350 on sale) which is an awesome helmet, but more expensive and hard to find. It's svelte and sexy and fits like a glove, but it's too hot for me in the summer, and my face shield fogs easily on very cold days. It's downhill-rated and certified for bikes and skateboards in Europe.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@litewave I have a few tips for you about the TSG Pass.

In summer for the heat, just lift the visor up about 1cm or 1/3" this is enough to bent out hot air.

In the winter, first option is to do the same. The other means you mod a visor with pinlock system. As I understand it pinlock is used alot in MC helmets in Europe but normally not in the US.

It is a second layer added on the insider of your visor hold in place by 2 pins and there is a opening to the outside. Look it up on youtube. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Did you just allude to me being a Test Dummy? ;) My wife would agree with just ’dummy’

I was thinking of something more inspiring like "advanced prototype", e.g., Robo-Doc.

image.png.db96afbd866f4e78bb6070bfe04c1b88.png

At least you (still) have a :efeeec645d: wife... that's something to be grateful for, some days .... :efefe00999:

image.png.9fd6849a929520b101f39c5b19a6f537.png

11 hours ago, Unventor said:

@litewave I have a few tips for you about the TSG Pass.

In summer for the heat, just lift the visor up about 1cm or 1/3" this is enough to bent out hot air.

In the winter, first option is to do the same. The other means you mod a visor with pinlock system. As I understand it pinlock is used alot in MC helmets in Europe but normally not in the US.

It is a second layer added on the insider of your visor hold in place by 2 pins and there is a opening to the outside. Look it up on youtube. 

Thanks for the tips, but I tried that. In winter, I propped the visor open between 1/4-1/2" using short pieces of rubber u-channel (clear automotive door edge guard) on very cold days (e.g., -5C/25F or less), but it didn't work for me. The visor would still frost over even if controlling my breath carefully, and I was forced to ride with it completely open. I think a heated face shield is the only way to go. On hot summer days (30C+/90F+) and in high humidity, it's just too uncomfortable, despite the surprisingly good airflow for such a snug helmet. Sure, you can ride around with the face shield fully open, but the Bell Super is better suited for hot summer days and has fantastic ventilation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lefteris said:

I'm thinking of buying something like this for about 45€

large_15037325-orig.jpg

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/5388247/Ventura-Full-face.html

But I think I'm gonna look strange, opinions?

Meh, I'm not a fan the all-black aesthetic but it has potential if you add lots of colorful stickers, reflective tape, light kit, mohawk, plasti-dip, etc. like:

@Rama Douglas

image.png.e0f3ce6eb5b62589ba563125463fb644.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, litewave said:

I'd skip the cheap clamshell bike helmets, like Triple 8, etc. You'll get no protection from facial and dental injuries which are likely if you have a classic faceplant.

I use the Bell Super 3R, and the TSG Pass Pro in cooler weather. Both look cool and are super lightweight (less than 1kg). The Bell has MIPS, comes in lots of colors, and is convertible - you can remove the chin bar if you still want to use it as a clamshell. It has fantastic ventilation and can be found on sale for $100-150 on Amazon if you're patient. The Super 2R is essentially the same and can sometimes be found for less. If you want even more safety the Bell Super DH costs a little more but is fully DH-rated. Both helmets are @Rehab1 tested and approved!

I also have the TSG Pass Pro (~$350 on sale) which is an awesome helmet, but more expensive and hard to find. It's svelte and sexy and fits like a glove, but it's too hot for me in the summer, and my face shield fogs easily on very cold days. It's downhill-rated and certified for bikes and skateboards in Europe.

Hey thanks for the reply. I got my Triple 8 helmet in which will do me fine until next month which is when I'll upgrade to a full face.

The Bell Super 3R (this one in particular) doesn't seem to be much cheaper than the Fox Proframe (this one). I'm definitely going for an all black aesthetic, I don't want a lot of color and the main reason why I'm hesitating on the full frame is because it's bulky and a bit more intense than the vibe I'd like to give off. I understand that this means nothing in if my face is broken so I do plan on getting a full frame, just want one that I feel good about wearing!

Do you have anything to add in terms of a comparison between these two? Fox Proframe seemed to have some really good reviews and it's extremely light weight and breathable. It seems like the Bell Super 3R's main advantages are $30 cheaper and has the removable chinbar?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

This is a good review / roundup of MTB helmets. I'm using the ProFrame, and it works great in the Florida heat.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/biking/best-downhill-helmet

Wow this is legit! Thanks this is will be really helpful, I didn't even realize there was a Bell-Full 9 for a lot cheaper :o

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lefteris said:

I'm thinking of buying something like this for about 45€

large_15037325-orig.jpg

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/5388247/Ventura-Full-face.html

But I think I'm gonna look strange, opinions?

Looking strange is exactly right! The stranger I look , the better! :w00t2:

3 hours ago, litewave said:

Meh, I'm not a fan the all-black aesthetic but it has potential if you add lots of colorful stickers, reflective tape, light kit, mohawk, plasti-dip, etc. like:

@Rama Douglas

image.png.e0f3ce6eb5b62589ba563125463fb644.png

Yeah. The helmet you chose is a great blank canvas to get creative with stickers, lighting and protection wise is far better than a bike helmet...

• Like 2

I have a POC Coron AIR Spin, which I like a lot. It's a downhill MTB helmet with all the certifications. It's got good coverage, good visibility, is comfortable, and well ventilated. Best of all, it uses a full expanded polypropylene (EPP) liner, in contrast to most other helmets which use expanded polystyrene (EPS aka Styrofoam), meaning it can take multiple hits without losing effectiveness.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shemp said:

I have a POC Coron AIR Spin, which I like a lot. It's a downhill MTB helmet with all the certifications. It's got good coverage, good visibility, is comfortable, and well ventilated. Best of all, it uses a full expanded polypropylene (EPP) liner, in contrast to most other helmets which use expanded polystyrene (EPS aka Styrofoam), meaning it can take multiple hits without losing effectiveness.

It's pretty slick lookin but the top seems to be sort of flat.. do you like the shape of it as a whole?

Mine arrived today.

The chin section is very close to my chin, not nearly as far away as my 661 Reset and much much closer than say a Fox Proframe. Theres a possibility that the Cratoni may allow enough movement to clout the chin during a faceplant and the nose is at risk too although the peak is quite sturdy and may prevent touchdown. Obviously despite this, its all much better than nothing at all however, and it is incredibly light and airy. It may end up going to my daughter who has a smaller face in general, and theres enough adjustment in it to cope with her head size. Mine is a M/L and the sizing is accurate to what I measured my head at. All in all, I would say that this lid is the bare minimum protection that one should use on an EUC and will be ok for me as I rarely go above 16mph at the moment as thats the limit of my daughters wheel and it will be great for the summer heat but for those of you hardcore/high speed demons I would suggest something a bit more substantial.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 2

Yeah that chin bit is smaller than I expected. And is the strap in the correct position coming down the side of your face? I can see that getting annoying. :huh:

Have I made the wrong decision with this one? Hmmm.