LUTALO'S WRAPPED KS18XL

Lutalo

2 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Is a wrap like a sticker with adhesive or do you shrink it down with a heat gun, or both? 

More like both. It's a very thin (2-3mm) vinyl. It is tough, stretchable, heatable, and pliable. It looks like a great paint job if done right.

As @Planemo said the main purpose of the heat is to make the vinyl more pliable so you can stretch it. My difficulty was that I worked alone and the shell pieces were detached from the wheel; this made the heat and stretch method very challenging. Instead I had to wrap in sections to avoid creasing, and use vinyl cutting tape to bring the sections together. The side shells did okay with that method, but the shell cap was more of a challenge for me am planning to Rewrap it with more stretching and less pieces once I recruit an extra set of hands. The top and sides I think that I can one-piece, but the recesses on the shell caps that seat the trolley handle will have to be cut anyway; chrome wrap doesn't stretch enough to one-piece a recess that deep.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lutalo said:

So, guys. Attached is a more true-color photo. Its seems it's the way that my phone camera catches the light that gives off that pinkish hue. Played with some room lighting and took another photo. 

IMG_20190327_150057.jpg

That is perfecto! Great job! :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

A friend of mine had a pink Cadillac and two red necks wanted to kick his ass because of it.

He wasn't on an episode of "Top Gear" was he?  That sounds like one I saw on there!

9 hours ago, Blueblade said:

He wasn't on an episode of "Top Gear" was he?  That sounds like one I saw on there!

No. But I know the episode you are referring to. No, this was real, in Houston about 35 years ago.  It got quite serious. 

Fortunately, no weapons were brandished.

11 hours ago, Siggy said:

well done mate!

good to see another lil red macking these streets

youve done excellently 

Why thank you sir. I really dig red. I just wish that I had your painting skills. 👍

12 hours ago, travsformation said:

Too bad this stuff is so expensive:

It is expensive. For now. Would love to have a glow-in-the-dark wheel though. 

12 hours ago, hal2000 said:

solution? I'd love a denim wrap for my KS. I think it'd look great and also had a protective function as a bonus. Plus, any potential scratches would look as trendy as on a pair of jeans  : )  

Closest thing to that is @The Fat Unicyclist 's cover. Pretty tough from what I have heard. He might be listening and will make that denim wrap; might even add a little Kevlar to it like they do with the motorcycle jeans. 

On 3/27/2019 at 2:58 PM, Lutalo said:

More like both. It's a very thin (2-3mm) vinyl. It is tough, stretchable, heatable, and pliable. It looks like a great paint job if done right.

Sounds like it could be pretty difficult. (I'm recalling a personal failed attempt to put some window film on a while back...what a pain!)

Looks like you did a good job though!

I could dig a cool digital camouflage pattern, but I have doubts i could put it on without creases/bubbles etc

28 minutes ago, Blueblade said:

Sounds like it could be pretty difficult. (I'm recalling a personal failed attempt to put some window film on a while back...what a pain!)

Looks like you did a good job though!

I could dig a cool digital camouflage pattern, but I have doubts i could put it on without creases/bubbles etc

Takes some practice but stretching,  heating, and flattening take care of bubbles and wrinkles. 

13 hours ago, KalSeth said:

Has anyone tried Plastidip?

Oooooh! nice call.

you mean from a spray can, like this (random youtube vid)

That is definitely the answer if you don't have a roll of wrap hanging around in the closet. This is probably how they do the King Song flat black wheels anyway. Sprays compound curves AND reversible.  Perfect.

However there are different brands so do your research, like this:

10 hours ago, Smoother said:

Oooooh! nice call.

you mean from a spray can, like this (random youtube vid)

That is definitely the answer if you don't have a roll of wrap hanging around in the closet. This is probably how they do the King Song flat black wheels anyway. Sprays compound curves AND reversible.  Perfect.

However there are different brands so do your research, like this:

I tried painting my wheel platforms with it; sucked. Not the plastidip. Me. Didn't stick. Started peeling off. Don't know why. 

If you know how to use it. It's awesome. The thing that gets me about painting is the coating, and the next coat, and then the next coat, and on, and on. I don't have the patience.

I would really love to learn to paint better so, I may very well do that community college autopainting class or workshop. 

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

I tried painting my wheel platforms with it; sucked. Not the plastidip. Me. Didn't stick. Started peeling off. Don't know why. 

If you know how to use it. It's awesome. The thing that gets me about painting is the coating, and the next coat, and then the next coat, and on, and on. I don't have the patience.

I would really love to learn to paint better so, I may very well do that community college autopainting class or workshop. 

Yes, the waiting between coats kills me too, and the preparation, and and and.

I painted a motorcycle a few years ago (Honda ST100) rattle can paint.  That thing has over 20 different panels to paint.  The final finish was OK but not professional.  Rattle cans put out a shitty spray pattern unless you can find premium cans in your color, that have better spray nozzles.

9 hours ago, DanCar said:

Any pics of the wrapping process?

No. not the process.

1. Because the project was somewhat spontaneous. 

2. Because I considered the project experimental

3. I was uncertain of my approach. I didn't want to produce a "blind leading the blind" video. I prefer to video when I know exactly what I'm doing; it's more helpful that way. 

In the end it came out okay, but I feel that my approach was less than ideal. I am now planning to rewrap the entire wheel using a different approach. This approach will involve:

1. Keeping the shell sections targeted for wrapping attached to the wheel for better leverage while working with the vinyl. 

2. Having helpers. Many hands make light work. With multiple hands its easier to heat, pull wrinkles, and remove air pockets from the vinyl while working with it. 

3. Less cutting and wrapping in sections. I used multiple pieces per section because it was difficult for me to control the vinyl alone with the shell sections removed from the wheel. Multiple people will allow me to use one sheet of vinyl for each shell piece because there will be several people pulling sections that need it. 

I am still very much in the trial and error phase of wrapping the 18L/XL form factor. Once I feel that my technique is useful for someone else thinking about wrapping, then I will do a video showing what I found to be the most effective way to wrap the wheel. 

I know several people with XLs/Ls in DC. So, My plan is to perfect my technique on my white XL in red. Then I will do a process video of me wrapping my black L in blue, or someone else's wheel locally in their color and texture of choice. 😉👍

12 hours ago, Smoother said:

Yes, the waiting between coats kills me too, and the preparation, and and and.

I painted a motorcycle a few years ago (Honda ST100) rattle can paint.  That thing has over 20 different panels to paint.  The final finish was OK but not professional.  Rattle cans put out a shitty spray pattern unless you can find premium cans in your color, that have better spray nozzles.

Yeah. I feel you. Everytime I have tried DIY painting projects they have failed. The waiting between coats is the first annoyance, but I also think that my tools and technique have been inadequate. 

42 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

I am still very much in the trial and error phase of wrapping the 18L/XL form factor. Once I feel that my technique is useful for someone else thinking about wrapping, then I will do a video showing what I found to be the most effective way to wrap the wheel. 

Your first try looks great! Having an extra set of hands would help. I need to rewrap my Mten3. This time I will take it completely apart. 

39985450624_14d5970fed_b.jpg

Many of my patient’s parents are having their kiddo’s cranial bands professionally wrapped. The artist will create any image they ask for. I’ve attempted wrapping cranial bands but they are extremely difficult given all of the contours. 

33629714908_be039042b4_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Your first try looks great! Having an extra set of hands would help. I need to rewrap my Mten3. This time I will take it completely apart. 

39985450624_14d5970fed_b.jpg

Many of my patient’s parents are having their kiddo’s cranial bands professionally wrapped. The artist will create any image they ask for. I’ve attempted wrapping cranial bands but they are extremely difficult given all of the contours. 

33629714908_be039042b4_b.jpg

Wow! That's awesome. I would consider a professional wrap, but I really would like to get better at it myself. 

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, Lutalo said:

Closest thing to that is @The Fat Unicyclist 's cover. Pretty tough from what I have heard. He might be listening and will make that denim wrap; might even add a little Kevlar to it like they do with the motorcycle jeans. 

Hmmnnn… Denim you say?

It would need to be done carefully, with the seams at the right places so that they don't add additional pressure to any weaker areas of the wheel during a fall. But it is very possible!

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hmmnnn… Denim you say?

It would need to be done carefully, with the seams at the right places so that they don't add additional pressure to any weaker areas of the wheel during a fall. But it is very possible!

Is it cost effective to do denim?

Having spoken with my design hobbit team, I am told that it wouldn't be able to provide as much protection as the reinforced neoprene we use in the EUC Bodyguards... But it could be done more for a custom "look" while also providing basic protection from scuffing.

Then we digressed into leather covers... Nice ones with retro lace-up fasteners!  :shock2:   These would not be cheap, but let me know if anyone is interested!!!

Archived