LUTALO'S WRAPPED KS18XL

Lutalo

4 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Having spoken with my design hobbit team, I am told that it wouldn't be able to provide as much protection as the reinforced neoprene we use in the EUC Bodyguards... But it could be done more for a custom "look" while also providing basic protection from scuffing.

Then we digressed into leather covers... Nice ones with retro lace-up fasteners!  :shock2:   These would not be cheap, but let me know if anyone is interested!!!

Give us a link to your local fabric shop web site, and people can order custom covers from you with the fabric/material of their choice, from your locally obtainable stock.  Or maybe invite people to send you the material of their choice for their custom cover. Any material can be made more protective by sandwiching in a core of batting, and a backing fabric.or sewing/gluing it to your existing wet suit material.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Having spoken with my design hobbit team, I am told that it wouldn't be able to provide as much protection as the reinforced neoprene we use in the EUC Bodyguards... But it could be done more for a custom "look" while also providing basic protection from scuffing.

Then we digressed into leather covers... Nice ones with retro lace-up fasteners!  :shock2:   These would not be cheap, but let me know if anyone is interested!!!

Extremely interested; if my girl is wearing it. 😜👍

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

Give us a link to your local fabric shop web site, and people can order custom covers from you with the fabric/material of their choice, from your locally obtainable stock.  Or maybe invite people to send you the material of their choice for their custom cover. Any material can be made more protective by sandwiching in a core of batting, and a backing fabric.or sewing/gluing it to your existing wet suit material.

Actually it isn't that easy... And I have a pile of prototype covers to prove it.

One of the things that makes the EUC Bodyguard work is that it is a tight fit (like a wetsuit). This stops the cover moving around, provides better grip, et cetera. But to make it tight it is actually slightly smaller than the wheel, so that it stretches into place - and that also means that the holes cut into it (for lights, ports, speakers and sensors) need to be scaled down so that they stretch into the correct too.

Just changing from the standard (nylon) neoprene to a more reinforced version changes the way the material stretched, meaning we had to remake the master pattern. And changing to any other material will have the same challenges - this would mean that you would need about 10 meters of fabric for a custom cover, but you will end up with a number of prototypes as well as the final working version.

But we do have some other ideas and have a few other projects on a slow burn...   ;)

15 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

One of the things that makes the EUC Bodyguard work is that it is a tight fit (like a wetsuit). This stops the cover moving around, provides better grip, et cetera. But to make it tight it is actually slightly smaller than the wheel, so that it stretches into place - and that also means that the holes cut into it (for lights, ports, speakers and sensors) need to be scaled down so that they stretch into the correct too.

That does sound rather tricky, well done for seeing it through to fruition.  I'd buy one but my shell's already been through a war, so there no need to protect scars.  I'm also saving up for other hobbies, and continual RV renovations, and , and , and. 

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

That does sound rather tricky, well done for seeing it through to fruition.  I'd buy one but my shell;s already been through a war, so there no need to protect scars.  I'm also saving up for other hobbies, and continual RV renovations, and , and , and. 

Look at the EUC bodyguard as a foundation makeup to cover the scars underneath. You can even tint your wheel with some colour.

Wear the makeup you can do it...this where I hear you playback the F comment right? 

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

:roflmao:F..U

I didn't hear that order confirm button click 😋 

Just so you know how it looks like pristine and used...

20190305_180132.thumb.jpg.77127c87053bb4314bfdce2b9fec1a92.jpg

And slightly burised...

20190329_190030.thumb.jpg.b2309359584fdf404f66f32dc06d28cf.jpg

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

:roflmao:F..U

Did you call???   (see what I did there?)   ;)

And since we are sharing EUC Bodyguard photos, don't look at @Unventor's "feeble" attempts at destruction... Here in NZ, one of our crash test dummies customers tested it on wet cement...

EUC Bodyguard vs. concrete

But even that wasn't enough to break it... After a bit (lot) of elbow grease it ended up looking like this...

EUC Bodyguard, post cement

To be fair though, when I was sent these photos, I damn near pissed myself laughing!   :roflmao:

46 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Did you call???   (see what I did there?)   ;)

And since we are sharing EUC Bodyguard photos, don't look at @Unventor's "feeble" attempts at destruction... Here in NZ, one of our crash test dummies customers tested it on wet cement...

EUC Bodyguard vs. concrete

But even that wasn't enough to break it... After a bit (lot) of elbow grease it ended up looking like this...

EUC Bodyguard, post cement

To be fair though, when I was sent these photos, I damn near pissed myself laughing!   :roflmao:

Wet cememt...of course it floats...it wears a wet suit. Next!!

I Finally jumped on that shellcap rewrap project that I mentioned earlier in the thread. Originally, it was wrapped in 5 separate pieces. I made final project look passable, but it rubbed me anyway.

So, today I decided on a redux. Don't know why I thought that it would be so hard to do this alone. Turned out to be easy; especially if you avoid disassembling the wheel and use heat. I think the main issue last time was my frugality with the heat for fear of overheating the chrome finish. But I didn't come close to overheating the wrap. The heat allowed me to stretch the vinyl like crazy. Took me less than an hour, and I was out teaching the neighborhood kids how to ride EUCs on one of my old wheels; I am almost jealous of how quickly they learn this stuff. 

IMG_20190406_131011.jpg

IMG_20190406_140740.jpg

IMG_20190406_120722.jpg

I see your wheel was originally white, I was trying to wrap my matte black KS18XL, but failed miserably, not sure if I want to try it again ( I bought enough to wrap 3 wheels ) or just let some car professional do it for me.

It seems KS matte black are harder for vinyls to stick. or maybe I just don't know how to do it despite watching several youtube videos on how to wrap.

Is it easier to disassemble the cover first or just wrap the wheel? I chose matte chrome light blue which is looks awesome if it ever come to fruit :D

49 minutes ago, digitalkenny said:

It seems KS matte black are harder for vinyls to stick

The matte black is a thin rubber coat, as far as I can tell; similar to plasti-dip. I think you would have to either laboriously remove the layer (it's too thin to peal off), or spray over it with a similar product in the color of your choice.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PogArt Artur
On 3/27/2019 at 2:49 PM, Lutalo said:

I finally wrapped my KS18XL. The job itself is mediocre; lots of errors. I am neither highly pleased or disappointed with my craftsmanship on this project. I will definitely have to re-wrap the shellcap; needs some help. My cap is wrapped in 5 separate pieces and was the most difficult portion of the job. 

My consolation is that I did not go out and buy that expensive $300 Avery Denison wrap about which I was pining. I dropped it as too costly and I am grateful that I did. My skill level is not up to the task of working with such an expensive wrap. I would have screwed it up and I would have been pissed at myself. 

The Vvivid that I used costed less than $50 and I purchased it about two years ago for a different project that never happened; so, no money spent directly on this project.

The built-in stand that you see was designed and installed by @Yanex87. He was kind enough to show me how do the install before we took a ride. 

Wheel Wrap Project6.jpg

Wheel Wrap Project5.jpg

To me - spot on my friend!

I'm thinking of wrapping the E+ as well, following the stunning look of @Tony Salusbury E+ ... I said I won't , but It seems I will have to keep my E+ till next year, so I'm rethinking the idea of customise the wheel.

Guest PogArt Artur
On 3/27/2019 at 6:50 PM, Unventor said:

@seage and @Lutalo have a look at this way to apply a paint motive...

It should be possible to do on any outer shell part.

Btw awesome job @Lutalo on the wrapping.

That's COOL !!! Honesty impressive effortless technique !

Guest PogArt Artur
On 4/6/2019 at 10:31 PM, Lutalo said:

I Finally jumped on that shellcap rewrap project that I mentioned earlier in the thread. Originally, it was wrapped in 5 separate pieces. I made final project look passable, but it rubbed me anyway.

So, today I decided on a redux. Don't know why I thought that it would be so hard to do this alone. Turned out to be easy; especially if you avoid disassembling the wheel and use heat. I think the main issue last time was my frugality with the heat for fear of overheating the chrome finish. But I didn't come close to overheating the wrap. The heat allowed me to stretch the vinyl like crazy. Took me less than an hour, and I was out teaching the neighborhood kids how to ride EUCs on one of my old wheels; I am almost jealous of how quickly they learn this stuff. 

IMG_20190406_131011.jpg

IMG_20190406_140740.jpg

IMG_20190406_120722.jpg

Amazing !

Quickly done and it does look great!

3 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Amazing !

Quickly done and it does look great!

Thank you. I will actually be rewrapping the entire wheel soon; same color. I am aiming for a more professional job. I have learned a few tricks since I first wrapped it, and I want to try them out. New wrap should arrive sometime today; according to the tracking info. I will post photos of the process.

4 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

To me - spot on my friend!

I'm thinking of wrapping the E+ as well, following the stunning look of @Tony Salusbury E+ ... I said I won't , but It seems I will have to keep my E+ till next year, so I'm rethinking the idea of customise the wheel.

A new look is a good plan; especially, to kill that new wheel bug. A wrap is a good coping mechanism for the pain of delayed gratification. 

On 4/9/2019 at 6:43 PM, digitalkenny said:

I see your wheel was originally white, I was trying to wrap my matte black KS18XL, but failed miserably, not sure if I want to try it again ( I bought enough to wrap 3 wheels ) or just let some car professional do it for me.

It seems KS matte black are harder for vinyls to stick. or maybe I just don't know how to do it despite watching several youtube videos on how to wrap.

Is it easier to disassemble the cover first or just wrap the wheel? I chose matte chrome light blue which is looks awesome if it ever come to fruit :D

I bought the white because I knew I would wrap it. The rubberized surface of the matte Black is a more difficult adhesion surface when it comes to initial tack.

You just need a heat gun or blow dryer (heat gun for hair) to heat the surface and help along the adhesion curing. 

Others have wrapped black vinyl and it came out just fine.

I have learned that leaving it attached to wrap the surface, and removing the outer shells to tuck is better. 

Wrapping Shellcap

1. Remove tote handle and fully retract trolley stems 

2. Remove outer shells

3. Begin in the center and work your way out heating, pulling, and flattening the vinyl until wrinkles are removed from the wrapping surface. 

4. Tuck, heat, and cut the vinyl where the wrap will be covered when the outer shells are attached.

Outer Side Shells

1. Attach the shells to the wheel using only the two screws to go into the center of the LED cap; one center screw in each Empty LED valley. 

2. With the wheel laying down begin wrapping the outer shell; heating and pulling as necessary to remove wrinkles and bubbled vinyl. 

3. Repeat process on opposite she'll. 

4. Remove the two screws holding the shell to the body.

5. Tuck, heat, cut neat edges.

6. Reattach outer shells, LED strips, 

7. Reattach handle

8. Check operation of trolley mechanism. 

9. Check operation of LEDs

10. Sweep the heat gun over the surface one last time, and she's all finished.

You don't really need a professional; just time and patience. Should take a couple of hours for a newbie to finish the job. You get faster and better each time you do it. Hope this helps.

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

Thank you. I will actually be rewrapping the entire wheel soon; same color. I am aiming for a more professional job. I have learned a few tricks since I first wrapped it, and I want to try them out. New wrap should arrive sometime today; according to the tracking info. I will post photos of the process.

I'll try to follow updates :)

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

A new look is a good plan; especially, to kill that new wheel bug. A wrap is a good coping mechanism for the pain of delayed gratification. 

That's right :)

Guest PogArt Artur
9 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Cool thanks man. If you follow me on the forum it will alert you when I post on this thread. :thumbup:

Done !

Following :)

Archived