Why are ther so few Female riders?

Hsiang

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hsiang said:

We have a good size group here in NYC; and I noticed very few to none female riders. I am curious if this is the case else where, and why?

Because women don't do risks. They wait at the finish line then go home with the winners.

Same thing with bicycling; in the Netherlands women bicyclists make up 51% of the highly accurate stats of that bicycle friendly nation, in the US women bicyclists make up 70-90%, although a lot of those women bicyclists are actually children under the age of 16 puttering around their suburbs.

https://momentummag.com/state-of-the-bike-union-the-2016-biking-walking-benchmark-report/

EUCs are considerably more risky that bicyclists, so no wonder most women avoid them like the plague. However, I would also argue the way we have to weave and bob on them, often without helmets, makes them safer than bicycling from getting hit by car drivers, because while you get a lot of room and respect while in an EUC, you're a cockroach when you wear a helmet on a plebian bicycle.

This is a very interesting question.

While doing tricks in parks women approach me 10:1 compared to men. And their question is "I did not know it was possible to do that!, wow! I love it! How does it work?"

Men's question is 90% of the time "How fast can you go?" salivating...

54 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Because women don't do risks. They wait at the finish line then go home with the winners.

This reminds me of my shock at finding out that the president and vice president of the Science Fiction club at my college were both women. Not only that, they were both race car drivers.

IMHO it has less to do with risk and more to do with the hobby being perceived as "Nerdy" at least that was my wife's reaction. we're porbably also suffering from the sausage party effect; where women comes in, realize that there were no other women and leave immediately.

I am told that there are more women riders in Russia, not sure why it would be different there.

47 minutes ago, pico said:

This is a very interesting question.

While doing tricks in parks women approach me 10:1 compared to men. And their question is "I did not it was possible to do that!, wow! I love it! How does it work?"

Men's question is 90% of the time "How fast can you go?" salivating...

That settles it.  An exhaustive regime of trick learning is in my future.  Forget what I said about tricks in the past, tricks are great.:rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I wish my wife would ride with me, but I have given up. It will never ever happen. 

Just withhold sex from her until she complies. That'll work for sure.

4 minutes ago, Smoother said:

tricks are great.:rolleyes:

Tell me about it ! I was wondering if there was any mind in the gutter around here. :roflmao:

5 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Just withhold sex from her until she complies. That'll work for sure.

That's a sure fire way for her to either shut down in that area as women can do, or go find some OPP (#yeah you know me#)

1 hour ago, pico said:

While doing tricks in parks women approach me 10:1 compared to men. And their question is "I did not it was possible to do that!, wow! I love it! 

32446009137_530d2d30b2_b.jpg

12 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Oh! I didn't think of that. Bummer.:crying:

Keep practicing the tricks. You might get lucky. 

40422271163_20761f95c0_b.jpg

no idea.. but i will agree that when riding around town and the local parks, the ONLY people who approach me are women, they are intrigued and have had more than a few want to give it a try.. they fail miserably of course and hand it back to me like wtf is wrong with this thing and move on lol.. even a few women with their boyfriends/husbands have approached me and enquired but usually the guy will say nothing lol

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

That settles it.  An exhaustive regime of trick learning is in my future.  Forget what I said about tricks in the past, tricks are great.:rolleyes:

ezgif-5-9d9afbc20848.gif.1bbf01849d4ccf152616bfac1b254768.gif

This is the killer move my friend, high success rate. Lady magnet. :whistling:

4 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I'm going to have re-examine my go-to move of idling while I pelvic thrust :D

:roflmao:video please.

10 minutes ago, pico said:

I'll get right on that. Ask me this time next year how it's coming along.  Maybe I'll try @kasenutty signature move in the mean time.  How could it fail!

ELDER Harmony! OHHhhhh!  It's all making sense now, including my 50% discount membership

In my experience women seem more likley to approach you, rather than the guys just shouting from across the street. One time when i rode past a pub at around 11pm a young lady ran up to me and cut me off, she started asking questions. Mostly about the wheel, but she asked a few about myself too, I guess she was just trying to butter me up before she popped the big question... Can i have a go?

I explained to her that my battery was low and I was just trying to baby it to get home. She was persistent ( and damn tidy ) so I reluctantly caved in. I gave her plenty warning on how difficult it is to learn, and it takes many attempts ect ect. She stepped on and as i steadied her with a stiff arm for her to use for balance she slowly lent forward and started to move away, i swung round behind her, following her closly and my hand gently placed on her hips anticipating the fall and grabbing onto her. As her speed increased and the wobbles eased i let go and she was riding all by her self unaided for about 30meters. 

What she acheived on her first attempt took me 40-50

1 hour ago, pico said:

In case I blow a fuse and decide yo test out trying to perform thst more....I would anticipate a 175% succes rate...why?

Simple math: I would fail miserably no doubt about that. That would lead to yet another trip to the hospital ..not on an EUC...taking into account how many nurses you meet before seeing a doctor....someone is bound to be impressed with the answer to what I thinking doi g that more when explaining what happen and how I would get that level of injuries.

An answer down the line going like this: I were hoping to find such a kind and beautiful person at the hospital so I decided it was worth the pain and risk. So here we both are...

( @Rehab1 how far am I of? You are probably one of theost experienced with your accident history 😉😁)

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

( @Rehab1 how far am I of? You are probably one of theost experienced with your accident history 😉😁)

My experience was not very pleasant. :(

46665969944_bfc478f271_b.jpg

18 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

My experience was not very pleasant. :(

46665969944_bfc478f271_b.jpg

I prefer your old lady and my 28 year old yoga instructor... :P

The old lady: Interestingly a coming video of mine in the spring will feature a cane. (spoiler/teaser)

Archived