Why are ther so few Female riders?

Hsiang

42 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

My experience was not very pleasant. :(

46665969944_bfc478f271_b.jpg

You sure travel far...Ireland? 

• Like 1

I have a very general albeit sexist reply to this subject.

In general, women are more prone to survival thus staying away from acts of danger. This includes, but is not limited to, factory workers, military, police, stunt acting, etc. This is believed to be caused by the women's instinct of the survival of the human race. Just as a woman's action to save her kids it keeps her from participating in dangerous tasks that would cause her genetic line to end. (think about the soccer mom arm save)

If you look at the fight between the gender pay gap you will see that it is mainly because of the low population of female workers in high risk jobs, such as electricians. This can further be diluted down to sports and eventually to the EUC where here you will see hardly any women compared to men. It may change as time goes on, but I truly believe that the female population of EUC riders will not ever go above 20%, and that is a generous percentage.

Edited by Esper
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lutalo said:

There are not more women riders because all the males who currently ride are ugly; except me. ;)👍

That's a bit harsh... Remember I have the whole accent thing going on!   :D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tessa25 said:

We don't like to fall.

True, sounds like the GF. She is still insulted that she fell once. I fall with abandon. (judo background, I go limp except the neck).

She never falls, she adroitly jumps ship...

Men take falls as war trophees. 

I saw on a french forum a crazy fellow getting sure he got a picture from the ambulance that he really broke both arms.

I also noticed a more cautious and proportionnate approach to learning from women.

I remember a video on this board of a tall idiot hurting himself badly by doing repetively maneuvers that were way ahead of his skills. A woman would never do that.

Edited by pico
corr
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Oh! Another BIG difference.

Women are collaborative and Men are competitive.

You can suggest 10 times to a  man to do something this way for his own good. He would still do it another way to prove how much of a big d... he has.

My GF listens, learns from my mistakes and gets it right slowly but surely. I don't think she has 100km under her belt, and she can ride 30m backwards and transition reliably.

Edited by pico
corr
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, pico said:

Oh! Another BIG difference.

Women are collaborative and Men are competitive.

You can suggest 10 times to a  man to do something this way for his own good. He would still do it another way to prove how much of a big d... he has.

That's not true at all. Men have been fighting and dying for society under the guise of honor since society was created. Think of all the infrastructure created, often at high costs, by cooperating men. Dangerous jobs and dangerous wars are primarily waged by men, either to harvest resources or to secure other's resources.

Men cooperate to extract resources, women scheme to secure those resources from men. There isn't a single feminist issue that cannot be resolved by simply taking resources from men and giving it to women.

21 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I wish my wife would ride with me, but I have given up. It will never ever happen. 

I hoped for a while that my wife would learn to ride the EUC but also realized it wasn’t going to happen.  I bought her a nice scooter with equivalent speed and range so we could cruise together.  Best decision ever!

9A2B74E7-141B-44BC-9466-0C87A1FC9406.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I hoped for a while that my wife would learn to ride the EUC but also realized it wasn’t going to happen.  I bought her a nice scooter with equivalent speed and range so we could cruise together.  Best decision ever!

9A2B74E7-141B-44BC-9466-0C87A1FC9406.jpeg

Yes, I think that's the best solution for "togetherness" rides.  trying to persuade a recalcitrant person to Euc is like trying to teach a pig to sing; It won't work, and it annoys the pig

What kind of scooter is that? Link?

Edited by Smoother

5 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Yes, I think that's the best solution for "togetherness" rides.  trying to persuade a recalcitrant person to Euc is like trying to teach a pig to sing; It won't work, and it annoys the pig

What kind of scooter is that? Link?

The scooter is a Speedway III, bought from ewheels.com.

I had told her initially that I’d buy her whatever EUC she wanted after she learned to ride.  The scooter is a better bargain than the EUC for equivalent speed and range so I’m financially ahead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

That's not true at all. Men have been fighting and dying for society under the guise of honor since society was created. Think of all the infrastructure created, often at high costs, by cooperating men. Dangerous jobs and dangerous wars are primarily waged by men, either to harvest resources or to secure other's resources.

Men cooperate to extract resources, women scheme to secure those resources from men. There isn't a single feminist issue that cannot be resolved by simply taking resources from men and giving it to women.

:roflmao:You are truly hilarious. You remind me a lawyer good friend of mine.

He really gets upset when we are in agreement on something. Cheers!

• Like 1

My wife and I are both in our 60s. She can do basic riding. She definitely doesn't like face plant at her age. For most women, face plant is no shortcut to cosmetic surgery. They much prefer to pay a hefty price for the real thing. :o:D Men don't care, they like face plants especially the macho type as it's evident in UFC fights.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

That's why I believe EUCs are actually quite intuitive albeit daunting and impossible looking at first.

It take mere seconds for most people to ride an EUC if they already can ride a bicycle. It's just not hard to most people (but impossible for people who can't ride a bicycle).

What is death to EUCs is how horribly unstable they are. Hit a postage stamp sized wet leaf and down you go.

Or a twig 1/4 the size of my pinky. I hit the ground on that one, I kid you not, when the twig got pulled up into the rear of the wheel and locked the wheel. From...a twig. 

Take a picture of a group bicycle club then count the bikes that are scratched up.

Do the same with an EUC group. The EUC group looks like it's been through a war. It's probably 100%. Maybe @The Fat Unicyclist has his protector on, but all EUC riders crash the hell out of their EUCs.

• Like 1

@LanghamP 

So the conversation goes like this with my good lawyer friend .

Him: So why do you like discussing with me if we are most of the time in disagreement ?

me: I am an engineer and I like to consider ALL the possibilities even the most extravagant ones. You always bring an innovative way of seeing things. And you?

Him: You are the only one to call me out when I go off the chart. I appreciate that!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

It take mere seconds for most people to ride an EUC if they already can ride a bicycle. It's just not hard to most people (but impossible for people who can't ride a bicycle).

What is death to EUCs is how horribly unstable they are. Hit a postage stamp sized wet leaf and down you go.

Or a twig 1/4 the size of my pinky. I hit the ground on that one, I kid you not, when the twig got pulled up into the rear of the wheel and locked the wheel. From...a twig. 

Take a picture of a group bicycle club then count the bikes that are scratched up.

Do the same with an EUC group. The EUC group looks like it's been through a war. It's probably 100%. Maybe @The Fat Unicyclist has his protector on, but all EUC riders crash the hell out of their EUCs.

Really you crash that easily?

I'm guessing it's from going much faster than I have gone. I max out my V5F consistently and tear through pretty much everything from speed bumps, branches,  rocks, potholes, wet and icy spots, gravel, etc.

The only thing that has caused a problem on my EUC is wet mud and wet soggy grass since it just sinks and the stuck wheel confuses the orientation sensors.

My only scratches on my V5F are from trying to practice going backwards (and bailing) and trying to jump up large curbs unsuccessfully.

I think if ridden at 12-15 mph max or what most cyclist ride at casually there is no issue. It has a huge advantage in being far more nimble than bikes and scooters. I'm already at the point where it feels like it can read my mind, and I can do pretty much anything (never got that feeling on my mountain bike, road bike, skate/longboard, or scooter)

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, pico said:

@LanghamP 

So the conversation goes like this with my good lawyer friend .

Him: So why do you like discussing with me if we are most of the time in disagreement ?

me: I am an engineer and I like to consider ALL the possibilities even the most extravagant ones. You always bring an innovative way of seeing things. And you?

Him: You are the only one to call me out when I go off the chart. I appreciate that!

Change the facts and I change my mind.

There is something awful, an assault on verifiable evidence, occuring nowdays in our society, permeating even here to some small part where we have an undue number of science degrees on this forum.

It's almost pointless to even talk to a socialogistt or psychologist unless they also happen to be an evolutionary biology too, because they're so stupid from their education.

Or talking to a person who denies man made climate change.

Faith is making a comeback, because so many people regardless of their political spectrum are believing what they know ain't so.

10 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Change the facts and I change my mind.

There is something awful, an assault on verifiable evidence, occuring nowdays in our society, permeating even here to some small part where we have an undue number of science degrees on this forum.

It's almost pointless to even talk to a socialogistt or psychologist unless they also happen to be an evolutionary biology too, because they're so stupid from their education.

Or talking to a person who denies man made climate change.

Faith is making a comeback, because so many people regardless of their political spectrum are believing what they know ain't so.

Kind of a tangent, but I think faith is also making a comeback because people still want something to have in common with other people (even if they don't follow or believe it really)

Interests and the things we spend our free time on have fragmented so much and become so decentralized that it's hard for some people to have common ground. Back in the day you had like 5 channels, everyone watched the same things and talked about them, the same news, read the same articles, listened to the same radio program. Now there are so many channels, so many internet videos, so many podcasts, so much news (fake and real), so many social apps....

This is also (I believe) why you see phenoms like Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory, and Stranger Things....somehow everyone watches these things and perpetuates the idea that they are "the best thing ever" and beyond criticism. When really some of them are mediocre at best but they at least have high production value and are easy to swallow and talk about. Sort of a rant, but it's something weird I've noticed as of late.

Edited by tenofnine