Why are ther so few Female riders?

Hsiang

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

You hear that, @Smoother? Your inventive ways are called for again!

MY inventive ways? I get most of my inspiration from you. Let's see:

Bigger pedals? check (wasted a year procrastinating over that one)

Bigger 16S battery? I wish I had the skill.

Extended shin pads for uber power control?  When I get around to it, and then wonder why I waited so long.

You're the innovator, I'm just a slow imitator.:cheers:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

In my opinion, if you're doing true off-loading or a very rough trail, just get a mountain bike and be done with it, because the EUC is terribly unsuitable to ground outside of pavement and the manicured lawn.

Go tell that to our rock goat @Demargon  !

38 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I've ridden a few times with a group of One Wheelers; my MSuper was not really comparable because of the range, speed, and terrain capabilities. One spends more time recharging while drinking coffee than actually riding.

As for the off road capabilities of an 18 incher, yes it is much better than a one wheel but the weight of the wheel means a crash can easily crack the shell. Possibly the ks18 has a more durable shell. Interestingly I've never crashed going downhill but I've crashed plenty going uphill, whereas on a bicycle it's the opposite.

In my opinion, if you're doing true off-loading or a very rough trail, just get a mountain bike and be done with it, because the EUC is terribly unsuitable to ground outside of pavement and the manicured lawn.

Yea for sure I agree mountain bikes and dirt-bikes are made to crush trails that look impossible because of their 26-29 inch wheels and high clearance. It's also kind of crazy that my big diamondback mountain bike weighs less than my tiny EUC (which is like 5x smaller).

But still I'm surprised daily with what my EUC can handle. Weird terrain and unpredictable bumps I expect to get thrown off....the wheel handles them beautifully and somehow magically keeps me level like it can predict what I throw at it.

Today I hit a pot hole (I did not see it at all) then right after there was a small curb up followed by an immediate 16 degree incline....the EUC crushed it I never even felt wobbly. It's crazy to me how precise the sensors are and how well programmed they've become (even cheap ones).

36 minutes ago, pico said:

Go tell that to our rock goat @Demargon  !

There's also @EUC Extreme who broke several bones and destroyed his EUCs from off-roading. Using the wrong tool can always be done with some sacrifice.

EUC traction is always going to be too unpredictable for a safe run. In contrast you can ride a 29 inch mountain bike across ludicrously rough terrain without a single fall.

2 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

Today I hit a pot hole (I did not see it at all) then right after there was a small curb up followed by an immediate 16 degree incline....the EUC crushed it I never even felt wobbly.

In my opinion anything below the pedal height of an 18 incher should be fine, although I have bailed from tall and sharp curbs.

But realistically, six inches?

However, touching or catching anything at all with a footpad is an automatic crash, and even just very minor roots or trail edges can catch you whereas they aren't a consideration with a bicycle.

10 hours ago, tenofnine said:

You're misquoting, I never said that. I replied to someone who said that.

Yeah. Wasn't me. Sometimes it seems the thread will incorrectly assign quotes. Happened to me a few times. Someone responds to me, and I'm like: "I never said that. " :D

11 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Hear that, @Marty Backe? You, me, @UniVehje, @Touho and many others have been doing this all wrong!

A modern powerful 18” wheel will not hesitate even when facing a tedious sets of roots, and even very steep short inclines and rough cliffs are doable once mastered. Doing it on a MTB is a completely different hobby. It is not about choosing the best vehicle to get from A to B, it’s about stretching ones personal limits on an EUC.

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

MY inventive ways? I get most of my inspiration from you.

I see, you’re just in it for the @Smoother sailing... :P

10 hours ago, LanghamP said:

There's also @EUC Extreme who broke several bones and destroyed his EUCs from off-roading. Using the wrong tool can always be done with some sacrifice.

Well, I don’t consider what @EUC Extreme does as just ”off-roading”. He’s riding style is a dedicated category of it’s own. He replaced a motocross bike with an EUC. My off-roading is often roughly the same, just at 1/10 speed. As are most other off-road EUC videos I’ve seen. For my usage the MSX is a perfect off-roading wheel. No cracked bones, shells or anything else. 

10 hours ago, LanghamP said:

In contrast you can ride a 29 inch mountain bike across ludicrously rough terrain without a single fall.

Hiking boots can do even rougher terrain! Why doesn’t anyone vouch for them here as a mode of transportation?

11 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Using the wrong tool can always be done with some sacrifice.

If it can be done, and the doer loves doing it, then their tool of choice is the right tool. The polemics of arguments about what device is better for what purpose become irrelevant in the face of a passion.

I enjoy my EUC zone. I am personally not very passionate about using my wheels off-road, but others are and I applaud them for challenging assumed limitations. 

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Hear that, @Marty Backe? You, me, @UniVehje, @Touho and many others have been doing this all wrong!

A modern powerful 18” wheel will not hesitate even when facing a tedious sets of roots, and even very steep short inclines and rough cliffs are doable once mastered. Doing it on a MTB is a completely different hobby. It is not about choosing the best vehicle to get from A to B, it’s about stretching ones personal limits on an EUC.

I see, you’re just in it for the @Smoother sailing... :P

Well, I don’t consider what @EUC Extreme does as just ”off-roading”. He’s riding style is a dedicated category of it’s own. He replaced a motocross bike with an EUC. My off-roading is often roughly the same, just at 1/10 speed. As are most other off-road EUC videos I’ve seen. For my usage the MSX is a perfect off-roading wheel. No cracked bones, shells or anything else. 

Hiking boots can do even rougher terrain! Why doesn’t anyone vouch for them here as a mode of transportation?

Yeah, I don't think @LanghamP knows what he's talking about regarding off road riding.

12 hours ago, mrelwood said:

It is not about choosing the best vehicle to get from A to B, it’s about stretching ones personal limits on an EUC.

Personally, if I'm using a vehicle and say to myself, "damn, I wish I was on <X> vehicle" then that's a good indication I'm looking for trouble. Drive a car in the rainstorm, a truck when moving furniture, a train when sightseeing, a plane when visiting another country, a MTB for off-road, a beach cruiser for the city, and so on.

Appropriate vehicle for the condition, I say.

Most gentlemen on this forum will crash, or have most of their crashes, from using the wrong vehicle for the task at hand. While crashing is an eventual certainty with all vehicles, choosing the wrong vehicle for the environment makes crashing, and the eventual injury, more likely. On rough or slippery terrain the EUC is always one step away from turning into a big greasy beach ball, with you <sorta> balanced upon it. The EUC works best on grippy smooth surfaces, at speeds somewhere between the Walker and the Bicyclist, and making it fit in other roles can be done but not always well. If you're traveling at 1/10 the speed, that's Trials speed.

For instance, above brisk bicycle speeds the EUC rider should wear motorcycle levels of protection yet members are forever moaning about doing so. Why are you wearing so much protection, if your vehicle is so inconsistent that crashes are an expected outcome.

Didn't @Marty BackeBacke nearly die out in the mountains, or rather experience great misery, when he choose just the wrong wheel, much less the wrong vehicle? While I appreciate the advancement of technology by pushing our wheels, I also see riders using wheels in such a way that crashes and injuries are guaranteed even with protection.

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

The EUC works best on grippy smooth surfaces

Every roadgoing vehicle that I know of works best on grippy, smooth surfaces whether or not it's good offroader. I understand your point, but quite frankly I disagree.

Unlike the examples you provided, I feel that one of the most virtuous attributes of an EUC is it's versatility; without this it would have far less appeal. Most riders, in most situations are pushing the limits of their own ability as opposed to the wheel's capability.

The obvious exception being straight-line speed cutouts that result in faceplants, but even here we are talking speeds of 40 mph or more. 

Off-roading on an EUC is a specialized skill that requires mastery over time. The riders currently doing it are the pioneers of this activity. Certainly improvements for this specialized purpose have been made and continue.

Riding an EUC off-road is great fun for those who enjoy it. The wheel can take the abuse, and is a sufficient enough device to provide that enjoyment for the rider. Offroading is therefore an appropriate use for EUCs. 

4 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Every roadgoing vehicle that I know of works best on grippy, smooth surfaces whether or not it's good offroader. I understand your point, but quite frankly I disagree.

This are example of vehicles that works best on an alternative surface.

The better the grip with knobbies off-road, the worse the grip on-road.

Personally, I prefer gravel and dirt roads over smooth and in particular over grippy surfaces. I like the ability to be able to twist the wheel at will and not get stuck with the tire on a grippy surface. Some unpredictability of the surface is also part of the fun. I also prefer soft ground over hard. I am not saying that tarmac can't be great fun too, just my preference.

4 hours ago, LanghamP said:

This are example of vehicles that works best on an alternative surface.

The better the grip with knobbies off-road, the worse the grip on-road.

Well then I'd better rush right outside and tell the little assholes popping wheelies and speeding up and down my nicely paved street on those dirt bikes and ATVs that they had better go find some far away dirt paths on which to pop those wheelies. They probably have no idea that their machines are improperly tooled for use on my street.

Wot if instead of a wheel you 'ad a bloody tank betwist your legs?

Could you imagine the possibilities? And it of course has a lil tank gun turret that fired high velocity bean bags at anyone that cut you off or  laughed at you.

Showing off in style: If you really want to get their attention...

The  switch !  Step-over!

1856630106_thompsonlow.gif.a277ac567d63f550017689020b3be19d.gif

11 hours ago, pico said:

Showing off in style: If you really want to get their attention...

The thompson switch!

1856630106_thompsonlow.gif.a277ac567d63f550017689020b3be19d.gif

Nice! Hey, @pico, let's stick to @Hirsute's terminology: this move is not a Thompson switch, actually @Hirsute didn't name it, I think, it was referenced as a part of all the "opposite pedal" ("wrong foot") moves here, without specific name: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOO17FGSA4U. I call it "step-over".

The "Thompson switch" was named here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VWh_yWDLoo  as a transition from "normal pedal/foot" to the opposite one and vice versa.

Oooops!!! My wrong! I actually was thinking that we should review a few things together and with whoever is interested! Could be very interesting! 

Like nomenclature, points to be observed, degree of difficulty and prerequisites, methodologies for learning.

I just did not want to disturb the others as I think we are a minority.

2 minutes ago, pico said:

Oooops!!! My wrong! I actually was thinking that we should review a few things together and with whoever is interested! Could be very interesting! 

Like nomenclature, points to be observed, degree of difficulty and prerequisite.

Yeah, I also was thinking about a specific "Freestyle" topic - I'll gladly join in and participate when you start one. You seem to have already a nice collection of GIF-moves, it definitely belongs there :)

17 hours ago, pico said:

Like nomenclature, points to be observed, degree of difficulty and prerequisites, methodologies for learning.

17 hours ago, trya said:

Yeah, I also was thinking about a specific "Freestyle" topic - I'll gladly join in and participate when you start one. You seem to have already a nice collection of GIF-moves, it definitely belongs there :)

This is a good idea.  If you guys could come up with a heirachy of tricks, based on difficulty that would be great.  Someone like me might even try some of the easier ones, and actually progress up the line a bit.  It's a real shame @Hirsute s videos are only in French, they are really amazing. (yeah, I now about auto translate) I just seem to stop the vid 1,000 times so I can read the subtitles

Auto-translate: "Next you sit on wheel and spin ice cream pedal twist, then goose it hard until roundabout"
....okie

I was wanting to make a thread about what everyone thinks are crucial tricks and maneuvers EUC users should know before taking them out into populated public areas with cars and people. Kind of like an eWheel drivers test (or competency test). Does this topic exist already?

Things like riding slower than walk speed, reacting to unexpected obstacles, 180s ,90s, idling, being able to mount/dismount with both legs, etc

17 hours ago, tenofnine said:

Auto-translate: "Next you sit on wheel and spin ice cream pedal twist, then goose it hard until roundabout"
....okie

I was wanting to make a thread about what everyone thinks are crucial tricks and maneuvers EUC users should know before taking them out into populated public areas with cars and people. Kind of like an eWheel drivers test (or competency test). Does this topic exist already?

Things like riding slower than walk speed, reacting to unexpected obstacles, 180s ,90s, idling, being able to mount/dismount with both legs, etc

Somewhat related:

Archived