Why are ther so few Female riders?

Hsiang

5 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Why would you need this?

With strong foot and with weak foot

Losing balance or something unexpected might tilt you to you non-strong side, I think having the ability to do either is a good skill to have.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Why would you need this?

You don't "need" to be able to mount with both legs (as you don't "need" to be able to mount with any single leg without holding on to something). Maybe your question is rather why would you want this, or why is this useful?

At least, it looks more useful in the daily life of EUCing than being able to make a 360º turn on the spot. Generally, I think that training the weak side also often improves the skill level on the strong side and it can lead to Eureka moments for changes to a better technique.

Specifically, there are conceivable situations where you may be forced to step down with the "wrong" foot. Then it's much cooler if you don't need to switch feet before to continue.

54 minutes ago, Mono said:

Specifically, there are conceivable situations where you may be forced to step down with the "wrong" foot. Then it's much cooler if you don't need to switch feet before to continue.

Although my weak side leg control is extremely bad, I do practice a few times each time I use a wheel for those "just in case" situations.

If you stop sideways on a hill, it's safer to put out your high side leg, as there can be as much as twice the distance from ground to pedal between pedals.

If you need to put your leg on top of a curb instead in down in the drainage.

If you accidently tip towards your weak leg.

In practice I don't do any of these things because when things get sketchy I hop off the wheel and catch it with my hands like a total beginner. I swear, all the cool tricks I've learned goes right out the window and I go back to the very first thing I learned (catching a wheel when unsuccessfully trying to mount).

I've been practicing a bit with my weak leg (mounting, semi-circles around a planted foot, etc) I swear to GOD it's like that isn't my leg.  It does nothing that I ask it to do.  I could not believe the difference in weak side/strong side.  It's getting better though. When I stop to admire a view somewhere, I will do weak side semi-circles, and sometimes circles.  It's still not fluid like my strong side.

About want/need. I rode a narrow path down the side of a country hill once, and I needed to step down for some reason.  Because my wheel was occupying the majority of the narrow path and my weak foot (the one I always put down first) was on the downward side of the slope, I had to step into the low bushes immediately to the lower side of the path.  ONLY......these weren't low bushes on the side of the path but the tops  of tall bushes growing up from somewhere  below the path which was, it turns out, on the edge of a small sheer cliff.  So when my foot should have touched solid ground at path level, there was nothing!  I dropped clear down to my crotch which arrested my sudden and rapid descent. :facepalm: I still don't know how I didn't tumble off that hidden cliff; my foot never did find the ground.  After, I stumbled to my feet and wished my weak leg was better for mounting/dismounting. 

Archived