The Mullings of a Beginner

seage

3 minutes ago, seage said:

Although, does it come with a lot of health problems when you're smaller?

Not when you're smaller, but when I was losing weight I was so used to eating less that I "under ate" (is that even a word? :D ) I was basically in a constant calorie deficit but didn't lose any extra weight. This did give some pretty weird side effects, to the point that I went to see some doctors, of which one even claimed I had neurological issues :blink1: after testing my nerves (literally, using needles and electricity). Needless to say that affected my mental health, and since that day I've never been the "worry free" person I was before. You walk around with the idea something is neurologically wrong and nobody knows what, until some other doctor (a real neurosurgeon) tested me, said there was nothing wrong, told me the report of the other guy was complete nonsense and told me to start eating more. 2 weeks later the problems were gone. But the mental damage took a lot longer to recover from (basically spent an entire summer not knowing what was wrong with me, and having sleepless nights about it.) and still isn't 100% healed. When I have something physically wrong I worry a lot more about what it could be than before that episode with that incompetent doctor .... and that sucks. 

Well, that answer escalated quickly ... :lol:

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Smoother said:

You don't need this or that latest greatest diet.  All the experts agree diets fail over the long term.

Its called a "diet" but its not a diet in the tradition sense. Its not a short term, lose weight fast thing. Ive adjusted to it to help me heal from some ailments. And its been working beautifully. Up until i then got stressed and binged on toxic shite. 

If you want to lose weight, do more exercise, (even walking is exercise, I know, wrong forum, right!) cut out or reduce the most harmful aspects of your diet, and implement a regimen of portion control.  Portion control is so easy; eat your usual stuff (minus as much of the bad stuff as you can stand) but make less of it, and use a smaller plate, bowl, etc.  If you select a 12" plate from the cupboard a correctly sized portion is going to look tiny and so we ladle more food on to fill up the plate.  If you select an 8" plate, a sensibly sized portion will fill the plate nicely. Lastly, DON'T GO BACK FOR SECONDS OR THIRDS. 

Cut out or reduce harmful snacks.  I like my chocolate biscuits (cookies) but if I take the packet to the den with a cup of tea I'll eat six or seven of them.  If I put two or three on a plate and leave the pack in the kitchen, I'll only eat those two or three.

I like individual bags of crisps (chips) unfortunately I like two bags at a time.  I'm trying to reduce this to one bag.  I'm not depriving myself and chewing celery sticks all day, but I am making a difference. Don't buy large bags of chips or you will eat a large bag of chips every time you reach for them.

Yeah, im trying to get outside daily and move around without the wheel, now that i can walk again properly. Its boring, but its okay. And yeah, i did cut out the dirty pop and processed stuff, but yeah. Also, lol. I laughed at you putting "cookies" and "chips" in brackets, hahaha. Im british, I know what they are. But im HOPING even regular canadians and americans know, XDD (although i cant speak to the rest of the world). 

Put your bathroom scale somewhere where you can step on them without having to pull them out from somewhere.  I weigh myself twice a day because my scales are right there where I brush my teeth.

I've been a bit concerned about my weight; it's been hovering around 84kg. so I started a bit of portion control and bad stuff reduction, and now, a week later it's hovering around 80kg.  If I actually try a bit harder (I made a cake last night complete with butter icing :facepalm:) I could have it down to 75kg by the end of the month.  Maybe I'll make that a goal.

Oh yeah, have a goal. :P

I dont even have a scale that belongs to me. Probably should invest in one. And loll. Yeah, a full cake might be a bit of a setback! Hahaha. 

Ive set my goal to 90kg. I do hope I can get it down. Imma beat my own ass if needbe to make this happen. If i ever post a video on here and in it im eating candy or icecream, or swimming in caramel, call me out, please. 

9 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Just got back from a ride on my Ninebot One E+. Rode it to the outdoor gym nearby (+4C today).
Did some shoulder presses, some overhead lunges and some overhead squats. Overhead squats are the worst. I was so done after doing those haha.
I'm going to do the exact same workout tomorrow and add another rep to the shoulder presses and another set to the overhead squats.

I rode on and went to the skate park and fooled around there as well. Good fun. I'll post a clip in the video thread when i'm done editing.

Lol @Smoother you made a cake!
I usually say the opportunity makes the thief but looks like the thief made the opportunity here! :efee612b4b:

You're really loving that wheel! Ill go check it out soon. And man, nice. I dont even know how you rode home after that. Id jjust fall off the wheel and die. Call an ambulance and ask them if they can drive me home. 

9 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Overhead squats are the worst. I was so done after doing those haha.

Yeah they are pretty bad, especially for my (not so flexible) back :D 

It's amazing how much strain a correctly executed overhead squat puts on the back muscles of an untrained adult, while my 8 year old has so much flexibility that she just can do them naturally (with less weight of course :D Just a broom stick)

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Yeah they are pretty bad, especially for my (not so flexible) back :D 

It's amazing how much strain a correctly executed overhead squat puts on the back muscles of an untrained adult, while my 8 year old has so much flexibility that she just can do them naturally (with less weight of course :D Just a broom stick)

I found doing the so-called Asian squat to be exceptionally difficult. It took about a month to aquire the flexibility, and I cannot hold it for more than two minutes. However, the flexibility required to do the Asian squat translates very well into just about any other squat.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I found doing the so-called Asian squat to be exceptionally difficult. It took about a month to aquire the flexibility, and I cannot hold it for more than two minutes. However, the flexibility required to do the Asian squat translates very well into just about any other squat.

I just tried the Asian squat and my legs hate you.:) I could only hold the pose for 20 seconds but since I love a challenge this may become a daily routine. :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

I just tried the Asian squat and my legs hate you.:) I could only hold the pose for 20 seconds but since I love a challenge this may become a daily routine. :thumbup:

You did realize from what I wrote that it took a month before I could even do it?

On 3/8/2019 at 4:57 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

My training is a mix of weightlifting and calisthenics. Now and then I also join my wife's Zumba classes 

Video!!:popcorn:

7 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

You did realize from what I wrote that it took a month before I could even do it?

Well I must be somewhat flexible then. They say Westerners that sit in chairs all day long can’t perform this squat. Being I’m on my feet most of the time must help. 

7 hours ago, seage said:

Im mad that your wife has more followers than me. Im proud of my 13k, lmao. Then i see her and shes destroying me. Pffffffffffffft...wait till i get those shoes.  

But in all seriousness, that looks intense, haha. Im gonna get into SOMETHING. Gotta strengthen up. 

13k is still quite a bit! What's your instagram name?

7 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Not when you're smaller, but when I was losing weight I was so used to eating less that I "under ate" (is that even a word? :D ) I was basically in a constant calorie deficit but didn't lose any extra weight. This did give some pretty weird side effects, to the point that I went to see some doctors, of which one even claimed I had neurological issues :blink1: after testing my nerves (literally, using needles and electricity). Needless to say that affected my mental health, and since that day I've never been the "worry free" person I was before. You walk around with the idea something is neurologically wrong and nobody knows what, until some other doctor (a real neurosurgeon) tested me, said there was nothing wrong, told me the report of the other guy was complete nonsense and told me to start eating more. 2 weeks later the problems were gone. But the mental damage took a lot longer to recover from (basically spent an entire summer not knowing what was wrong with me, and having sleepless nights about it.) and still isn't 100% healed. When I have something physically wrong I worry a lot more about what it could be than before that episode with that incompetent doctor .... and that sucks. 

Haha. I usually feel the same when I post. But I appreciate you being open and sharing with us.

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

When i was in japan, everyone would do it and just chill, and id be just standing there like an idiot, LOL. I was not getting down there. Sometimes if there were dogs around, id play it off by laying on the ground and petting them. But I had to provide the dogs! 

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Well I must be somewhat flexible then. They say Westerners that sit in chairs all day long can’t perform this squat. Being I’m on my feet most of the time must help. 

Ive always had terrible knees and bad flexibility. But ive been trying to build it up. I guess hard work, blahblah, ccaan help. We'll see >.>.....

8 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Thanks for sharing that, man. I totally get you on the bad doctor thing... an ex of mine was prescribed bad drugs that made a small tumor she had, grow, because this shit doctor had a deal with pharma and was making bank on the drugs she was buying. I forced her to a 2nd doctor and they freaked out. Couldnt believe what was happening. Got her off the shit drugs and undid all the damage in no time at all. Im so skeptical. Even the dr near me, i have to tell her shit and she barely listens to me, then repeats shit i just said...i ugh...... I love great doctors. And im sure there are many. But there are a lot that honestly do it because they were "supposed to" and their passion isnt in the craft itself. Glad you're getting better, but i can totally understand that worry and anxiety. Stay strong, mate

44 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

13k is still quite a bit! What's your instagram name?

Fo sho. I'm https://www.instagram.com/seageart/

53 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Very cool! Love the style and type of art. Beautiful!

27 minutes ago, pico said:

Super! Great talent!

Thank you both so much! This is my day/night/weekend/literally anytime im not riding - job, lmao. 

Still trying to build up my client list, but at the same time go more independent with videos and personal content, but we'll see. 

4 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Haha. Alrighty! I had to dig back a bit. Time for me to get back in the Zumba game.

Impressive! That is an excellent cardio workout with plenty of incentives to continue attending the classes.:)

33461013348_7a4a3d06c9_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Impressive! That is an excellent cardio workout with plenty of incentives to continue attending the classes.:)

Thanks! Yes it's definitely a great cardio workout and also great for improving coordination as well as helping to build a healthy body.

4 hours ago, seage said:

Still trying to build up my client list, but at the same time go more independent with videos and personal content, but we'll see

What does this entail? What do you do for clients?

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Did you miss the part about it being his WIFE'S Zumba class?:facepalm:

51 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Did you miss the part about it being his WIFE'S Zumba class?:facepalm:

I think it’s awesome when couples work out together, ride together, buy unicycles together...etc... i’m jealous.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:12 AM, Smoother said:

Cut out or reduce harmful snacks.  I like my chocolate biscuits (cookies) but if I take the packet to the den with a cup of tea I'll eat six or seven of them.  If I put two or three on a plate and leave the pack in the kitchen, I'll only eat those two or three.

My weakness. Salted caramel biscotti 😋😋😋. I usually have it with evening tea. I have been very good lately at reducing my intake to two biscotti with my tea, but one will forever be a mere teaser. 

27 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I think it’s awesome when couples work out together, ride together, buy unicycles together...etc... i’m jealous.

Yeah, it's great when two people can hang out together and share life.  I haven't seen my girlfriend in over a year, but we're together in spirit (and WhatsApp).  When we are together we are like John and Yoko, always hanging out in bed (not like that, get your minds out of the gutter<_<

4 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

My weakness. Salted caramel biscotti 😋😋😋. I usually have it with evening tea. I have been very good lately at reducing my intake to two biscotti with my tea, but one will forever be a mere teaser. 

Sounds like something to put on my list.  NO! NO! NO! Must resist.

Went for a ride with my wife today. I suggested she put on an extra pair of pants (trousers) <--- see what I did there?
She always knows better so she froze her ass off on the way home. -1C and 5-6m/s winds today. The air did have a cold bite to it though.

Anyway we ended up getting pizza. We tried a new place and they had very nice vegan pizza which she enjoyed. My pizza was alright but I prefer making my own and throwing in a ton of anchovies and having some cheddar on the mozzarella.

A few months ago I was stuck in a loop. Every evening I would eat one to two large bags of chips. I would also eat cookies and pastries and cheesecake as well as chocolate.
Now when I feel like buying junk food it's a struggle. My tastebuds have gotten used to fatty and savoury foods.

Still love my fizzy drinks though! Had some sugar free soda earlier and it was so good for a moment I closed my eyes.

My favourite snacks are:
Chocolate: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
Chips: Cheez Crunchers which are similar to crunchy Cheetos.
Ice Cream: Häagen-Dazs salted caramel
Cake: cheesecake
Pastry: danish
Cookies: crispy chewy chocolate chip and shortbread

If I could choose between any of the above right now in this moment though I would choose none. But I would love a beer. And a triple cheeseburger from McDonalds.

17 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

My favourite snacks are:
Chocolate: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
Chips: Cheez Crunchers which are similar to crunchy Cheetos.
Ice Cream: Häagen-Dazs salted caramel
Cake: cheesecake
Pastry: danish
Cookies: crispy chewy chocolate chip and shortbread

If I could choose between any of the above right now in this moment though I would choose none. But I would love a beer. And a triple cheeseburger from McDonalds.

:roflmao:.  I'm going to print this and it will be the start of this week's shopping list.

18 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Still love my fizzy drinks though! Had some sugar free soda earlier and it was so good for a moment I closed my eyes.

Archived