The Mullings of a Beginner

seage

1 hour ago, esaj said:

I can eat whatever I want, I NEVER gain weight!  ;)

EDIT: Actually, after our trip, I weighed myself and I'd gained a couple of kilos, which haven't gone away in the last couple of months. Still very near the edge of underweight BMI, but this might be tipping point :P  And I was 21 about 15 years + couple of weeks ago...

*Witch!!! Witch!!!!! This is dark magic!!* Loll. Damn. I wishhhhhhhhhhh that was the case for me. Let me struggle to put on weight, geez. I mean, if im being fair, i suppose theres still that "greener other side grass blahblah" nonsense, but nah....take me, skinnybody. Take me. 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Sometimes you eat out of boredom. Never a good idea :D 

Oh yeah. I try to cut that. Or sometimes i'll leave leftovers from my meal and pick at it. But I'm usually not bored. Im either stressed busy, or happy busy. But theres too much to dooooooooooooooo!!!

8 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

That's a solid breakfast :D:D

I did it with 2 eggs and 2 small sausages, LOL

I presume you do a lot of weight training?

I like eggs. Especially the yolks. I get so sad when it's over.
I weigh 65kg and that menu is for weight loss. Without carbs I have trouble recovering from heavy leg work especially squats.
So I stick to my bodyweight x2 in grams of fat and protein = 130g of fat (1170kcal) och 130g (520 kcal) of protein plus the trace carbs.
And avoid squats. If I am going to work on squats I will do it for a limited time and indulge in triple cheeseburgers for sanity.

My training is a mix of weightlifting and calisthenics. Now and then I also join my wife's Zumba classes as but i've never been a fan of cardio.

My youtube channel has like 500 clips of me training but lately there are just clips of me riding my EUC. :efee612b4b:

2 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

but i've never been a fan of cardio.

Me neither, but high intensity interval circuit training (or how do you call that stuff :D) works well.

And if I do "real" cardio for 1 hour, I just watch a video.

15 minutes ago, seage said:

*Witch!!! Witch!!!!! This is dark magic!!* Loll. Damn. I wishhhhhhhhhhh that was the case for me. Let me struggle to put on weight, geez. I mean, if im being fair, i suppose theres still that "greener other side grass blahblah" nonsense, but nah....take me, skinnybody. Take me. 

I have 1 friend like that who is over 40 and as wide as a pencil :D  But that's clearly the exception if I look at all the 30+ parents I see at my daughter's school :lol: 

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

It's still very cold here and in the past hours we went from +5 to -1 so the rain has now turned into snow.
I think it's going to keep up for a couple more weeks. It won't stop me from riding though especially now that I am free from work!

My eating habits look like this:

Breakfast: 5 eggs, cheddar cheese, 120g bacon. Coffee with full fat cream.
Sugarfree energy drinks or soda or more coffee with cream.
Lunch: 500g chicken wings or 250g chicken, meat or fish. Some fatty sauce. Maybe a vegetable or two.
Dinner: Same as lunch or maybe sausages or chicken liver, some boiled eggs with mayo. I try to go a bit more fancy.
After dinner I have some kind of dessert. Casein protein pudding with whipped cream on top and some grated dark chocolate (at least 80%) or fresh cheese like quark with some sugar free beverage mix thrown in (preferably tropical flavour).

I like fizzy drinks and stick to the sugar free stuff. This satisfies my sweet tooth and the rest of the food satisfies my umami fetish.

Breaking the diet costs me a 3 day set back so I am very hesitant to cheat.
If I feel like eating chips I buy pork rinds.

When i'm not doing this ketogenic diet I am doing intermittent fasting which works well as long as I am fat adapted.

Also no matter how much I have ever exercised to compensate for bad diet I have never been able to outrun my mouth. :efee612b4b:

Wowwww, thats a full day of food! I dont eat even close to that. And i've gone down to 2 meals per day. Both pretty small. Then fill the middle with shittttttt snacks, loll. If i was eating like that, i'd never be craving nonsense. And yeah, breaking always puts me back, its annoying. Im "supposed to be" doing carnivore diet. Its helped like crazy, but you know how it is with this stuff. The effects of cheating are KINDA catastrophic. 

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Yeah, I'm right behind you on this one. I regularly gain and lose 50 pounds, going from 170 to 220 pounds more than several times now.

You'd think I'd learn, but the weight comes on gradually and comes off gradually. There isn't any magical way to lose weight for me; just skipping breakfast, avoiding sugars, and logging every meal worked best for me.

What I find irritating is that if you exercise and play sports a lot, you'll still perform just fine but you just don't look good. Hell, having that extra 20 pounds usually results in an increase in performance relative to your skinny self.

Nature is cruel; it'd make more sense to feel crappy when fat, and great when skinny, but the opposite is true with me.

Thats a huge window of weight. I dont know if ive ever fluctuated that much before. Are you an actor? Are you putting on and shedding pounds for the camera? Haha. 

I think i'll try logging. That might be a good idea. Skipping meals probably not. And i havent been small in soooo many years, i dont know what it feels like or if its more or less energy at certain sizes. Im just used to being heavy and making loud noises when i need to get up and go somewhere.

37 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Same here. Then you have those people saying artificial sweeteners aren't good for you, but come on, what's left? I don't drink alcohol (ever), I don't drink sugared drinks, I don't drink coffee nor tea, I don't smoke. Should I spend my live drinking (sparkling or still) water then???

I actually like sparkling water. It kinda tricks your mind into thinking you gave it soda. And then you dont have to go and feel like a slug after drinking pepsi, lmao. LIKE I DO RIGHT NOW!

4 minutes ago, seage said:

Wowwww, thats a full day of food! I dont eat even close to that. And i've gone down to 2 meals per day. Both pretty small. Then fill the middle with shittttttt snacks, loll. If i was eating like that, i'd never be craving nonsense. And yeah, breaking always puts me back, its annoying. Im "supposed to be" doing carnivore diet. Its helped like crazy, but you know how it is with this stuff. The effects of cheating are KINDA catastrophic. 

Yeah that's my point exactly.
I really reaaaaally like intermittent fasting and it is too convenient for me to fast. But usually I will end up overcompensating and trying to solve a problem that I myself created.
Diet for me is mostly hormonal but even behavioural. So I eat preemptively to avoid the backlash.
So exactly... if you ate like that you would never feel that you have a large energy deficit. Sure you will have crazy carb cravings the first 2 weeks but after that you will be fine.

When we are stressed our bodies push us to eat foods that lower cortisol. Fat, sugar and flour usually does the trick. Walks in nature lower cortisol.

How much energy our body perceives us as having is highly dependant on our response to leptin.
Eating a junk diet will usually cause insulin and leptin resistance so your body will have trouble signalling that there is energy available. Which basically turns into feeling lazy and weak. Leptin and insulin resistance can be resolved quite easily with a low carb diet without including the suffering of weighing food. There is a time when I weighed my food though but that is because I wasn't losing weight despite being on low carb. I wasn't gaining weight either because that's very hard to do on a ketogenic diet. In the end it turned out that I was eating like a pig while on low carb so I had to eliminate some high caloric snacks like nuts. And then I just cut the snacks entirely and stuck with my 3 meals. If I still felt that I needed a snack that means I fucked up the meals.

1 minute ago, seage said:

Thats a huge window of weight. I dont know if ive ever fluctuated that much before. Are you an actor? Are you putting on and shedding pounds for the camera? Haha. 

I think i'll try logging. That might be a good idea. Skipping meals probably not. 

No no, I just have a naturally fast metabolism that's outrun by my sweet tooth.

I think people's wrist size is a good indication of their natural weight. I have between a 5 inch to a 5.5 inch wrist, which is basically smaller than any men's watch on its tightest setting. I'm guessing my natural weight, or the weight that I'm at without special dieting, is around 155 pounds.

Basically if I avoid bread and sugar, and eat a lot of other crap, I got down to 185 pounds and stop. Then getting below 185 takes exercise and careful dieting.

I really think that if most people avoid bread, french fries, and sugars then they'll be just fine, even with very little exercise. Somewhere around 175 for males and 125 for females.

28 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I like eggs. Especially the yolks. I get so sad when it's over.
I weigh 65kg and that menu is for weight loss. Without carbs I have trouble recovering from heavy leg work especially squats.
So I stick to my bodyweight x2 in grams of fat and protein = 130g of fat (1170kcal) och 130g (520 kcal) of protein plus the trace carbs.
And avoid squats. If I am going to work on squats I will do it for a limited time and indulge in triple cheeseburgers for sanity.

My training is a mix of weightlifting and calisthenics. Now and then I also join my wife's Zumba classes as but i've never been a fan of cardio.

My youtube channel has like 500 clips of me training but lately there are just clips of me riding my EUC. :efee612b4b:

Oh yeah, your wife does fitness things too~ I saw her on your channel. Very cool. Healthy people around you. All my friends are bags of chips. 

I actually want to do calisthenics so badly. It looks like a game. And when you "level up" you get new abilities, like being able to do good lift..thingys...and upside down thingies..and spin thingies. Thats the goal for the summer. DO those thingies!!

27 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I have 1 friend like that who is over 40 and as wide as a pencil :D  But that's clearly the exception if I look at all the 30+ parents I see at my daughter's school :lol: 

I can't believe i grew up to be one of them.....my dads in way better shape than me. Where did i go wrong?

14 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Why eat a carnivore diet if you can have a Snickers :lol: 

LOL. Oi, dont tempt me with that goodness! Hahaha

5 minutes ago, seage said:

I can't believe i grew up to be one of them.....my dads in way better shape than me. Where did i go wrong?

It's never too late to change.

Except for that period where I was 30-35 old I was never fat. Always been skinny, and even in those years I wasn't what one would consider "fat" but I developed a belly and you could see it in my face. At around 28 my weight very slowly creeped upwards until it stabilised at 80kg (which you will think is ridiculously low, but coming from 65 ....). I've lost 11kg a couple of years ago, they never came back, and (because other hobbies started requiring it) I started exercising. I just became 40 in January and I can assure you I've never been in better shape than today, although I weighed less when I was 22.

I'm still not a 100% healthy eater (far from it, actually, if you see the amount of carbs I ingest daily), but my calorie consumption clearly allows me to do this without putting on any weight.

4 minutes ago, seage said:

Oh yeah, your wife does fitness things too~ I saw her on your channel. Very cool. Healthy people around you. All my friends are bags of chips. 

I actually want to do calisthenics so badly. It looks like a game. And when you "level up" you get new abilities, like being able to do good lift..thingys...and upside down thingies..and spin thingies. Thats the goal for the summer. DO those thingies!!

Do all the thingies!

Yeah just lifting weights was driving me nuts because I started overly obsessing with my physique and weight and body fat.
I started doing calisthenics so that I could learn skills so I did a ton of handstand practice, then muscle-ups on rings, then bars, then human flag and other stuff.
Tomorrow i'm going to start my daily training again. I have nothing but time now after quitting work.

While i'm typing this my wife is lying down on the couch eating chips and watching Netflix. :clap3:

But if had to dance for hours on end I would do the same. 

Well guys iam 44 years by now and my weight is 70kg, i can eat what i want and don’t gain weight.

All my life i hear from people „oh that’s so cool, i wish i could be like that“ but i tell you what it’s a real struggle, spezially if your going to the gym and want to put some weight on.

If i want to gain weight i have to eat a lot and that’s verry stressful and expensive.

So it’s not much fun either 

15 hours ago, seage said:

I'm SUPPOSED to be doing the carnivore diet. And so far its been working amazing. But then i cheat and alllllll the problems i had BEFORE the bloody diet come right back and start setting up camp. I need more control! 

You don't need this or that latest greatest diet.  All the experts agree diets fail over the long term.

If you want to lose weight, do more exercise, (even walking is exercise, I know, wrong forum, right!) cut out or reduce the most harmful aspects of your diet, and implement a regimen of portion control.  Portion control is so easy; eat your usual stuff (minus as much of the bad stuff as you can stand) but make less of it, and use a smaller plate, bowl, etc.  If you select a 12" plate from the cupboard a correctly sized portion is going to look tiny and so we ladle more food on to fill up the plate.  If you select an 8" plate, a sensibly sized portion will fill the plate nicely. Lastly, DON'T GO BACK FOR SECONDS OR THIRDS. 

Cut out or reduce harmful snacks.  I like my chocolate biscuits (cookies) but if I take the packet to the den with a cup of tea I'll eat six or seven of them.  If I put two or three on a plate and leave the pack in the kitchen, I'll only eat those two or three.

I like individual bags of crisps (chips) unfortunately I like two bags at a time.  I'm trying to reduce this to one bag.  I'm not depriving myself and chewing celery sticks all day, but I am making a difference. Don't buy large bags of chips or you will eat a large bag of chips every time you reach for them.

Put your bathroom scale somewhere where you can step on them without having to pull them out from somewhere.  I weigh myself twice a day because my scales are right there where I brush my teeth.

I've been a bit concerned about my weight; it's been hovering around 84kg. so I started a bit of portion control and bad stuff reduction, and now, a week later it's hovering around 80kg.  If I actually try a bit harder (I made a cake last night complete with butter icing :facepalm:) I could have it down to 75kg by the end of the month.  Maybe I'll make that a goal.

Oh yeah, have a goal. :P

Just got back from a ride on my Ninebot One E+. Rode it to the outdoor gym nearby (+4C today).
Did some shoulder presses, some overhead lunges and some overhead squats. Overhead squats are the worst. I was so done after doing those haha.
I'm going to do the exact same workout tomorrow and add another rep to the shoulder presses and another set to the overhead squats.

I rode on and went to the skate park and fooled around there as well. Good fun. I'll post a clip in the video thread when i'm done editing.

Lol @Smoother you made a cake!
I usually say the opportunity makes the thief but looks like the thief made the opportunity here! :efee612b4b:

14 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I'm going to do the exact same workout tomorrow and add another rep to the shoulder presses and another set to the overhead squats.

I'm no work out expert (no thief either :furious: :D) but I think I remember reading, hearing that you should'nt do the same mucsle group two days in a row, with the exception of core torso muscles).  Anybody else here this?

16 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I usually say the opportunity makes the thief but looks like the thief made the opportunity here! :efee612b4b:

What does this mean in connection with making a cake?:confused1:

6 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I'm no work out expert (no thief either :furious: :D) but I think I remember reading, hearing that you should'nt do the same mucsle group two days in a row, with the exception of core torso muscles).  Anybody else here this?

What does this mean in connection with making a cake?:confused1:

It is common to split muscle groups and have 48 hours of rest to avoid an interfering effect. I usually suggest it if someone is working towards strength goals. This is usually for high level training though. In my case I am "greasing the groove" by repeating the workout.

The opportunity makes the thief is a saying that I use when discussing diet. It implies that people will normally adhere to morals and discipline unless an opportunity is presented where there are no or little repercussions. So in diet I use it in the context where I suggest to people to not have snacks easily accessible but instead have food easily accessible. As many times failing the diet is a matter of convenience. Usually people won't go out of their way to make something as advanced as a cake which I found commendable! I wasn't taking a stab at you or making fun of you.

58 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I wasn't taking a stab at you or making fun of you.

Oh that's alright then.  As long as you were "only" making fun of me.;)

Yeah snacks easily to hand are hard to resist, that's true.  I'm telling myself if I eat the cake slowly and substitute out something else like cookies, I'll be OK.  What that about de'nile not only being a river in Africa?

On 3/8/2019 at 5:47 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

Do all the thingies!

Yeah just lifting weights was driving me nuts because I started overly obsessing with my physique and weight and body fat.
I started doing calisthenics so that I could learn skills so I did a ton of handstand practice, then muscle-ups on rings, then bars, then human flag and other stuff.
Tomorrow i'm going to start my daily training again. I have nothing but time now after quitting work.

While i'm typing this my wife is lying down on the couch eating chips and watching Netflix. :clap3:

But if had to dance for hours on end I would do the same. 

Im mad that your wife has more followers than me. Im proud of my 13k, lmao. Then i see her and shes destroying me. Pffffffffffffft...wait till i get those shoes.  

But in all seriousness, that looks intense, haha. Im gonna get into SOMETHING. Gotta strengthen up. 

21 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Well guys iam 44 years by now and my weight is 70kg, i can eat what i want and don’t gain weight.

All my life i hear from people „oh that’s so cool, i wish i could be like that“ but i tell you what it’s a real struggle, spezially if your going to the gym and want to put some weight on.

If i want to gain weight i have to eat a lot and that’s verry stressful and expensive.

So it’s not much fun either 

Grass is greener- type situation, i see. 

Id still rather be smaller, haha. Although, does it come with a lot of health problems when you're smaller? Because i've got a bunch right now i'd love to give back. 

13 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Or maybe you have healthier eating habbits than you think :D

Start by drinking 2L of Coca Cola each day on top of what you currently do :p 

Lmfao, somebody needs to stop you. Ive realized you're a plant for pharmaceutical companies. If we start dying, you make money!!

Archived