What happens if you don't ride your EUC for a week or two?

Brandon Cohen

I recently got a flat tire on my 14D (see thread below). No clue how long it'll take to fix so it got me wondering, what do you guys do if your EUC is out of commission?

Is it 'like riding a bike'? Or will I have to relearn the skill / the muscles? What's the longest you've gone without riding, without it being an issue getting back on?

I've been building up muscles for the EUC and I'm not sure how long it'll be till I ride again. I'm also going to be away from my EUC for two weeks over Christmas, is this a legitimate concern?

3 hours ago, Brandon Cohen said:

what do you guys do if your EUC is out of commission?

Personally, I go crazy in two days. Winter came a while back, so I’m a different person now. Grumpy and bitter.

3 hours ago, Brandon Cohen said:

Is it 'like riding a bike'? Or will I have to relearn the skill / the muscles?

When you first get back on, it will feel weird. But for me it all comes back in a matter of minutes, even after a long winter.

Regarding the link, definitely try a puncture repair liquid first. Slime, Goop, etc. I prefer a non-latex based solution (not Slime) since it doesn’t dry up in a year.

47 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Personally, I go crazy in two days. Winter came a while back, so I’m a different person now. Grumpy and bitter.

I hear you. I’ve been grumpy for weeks to a point where my wife now encourages me to ride even during a downpour or snowstorm. 

During the winter I try to keep my long driveway clean as possible so I can get in short rides. 

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I've just prepared my spare KS-16 for a winter time. Fortunately, till now there is no snow or icy roads here in northern Poland, so I continue to ride my KS-18 everyday as usual. However there are some forecasts predicting snowfall next days. Seems I will be forced to switch to KS-16, hoping that with Schwalbe Mad Mike tire it will allow me to continue riding in snowy conditions... I hope... :)

I never needed a readjustment period. Step on and you're happy again. No worries!

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I hear you. I’ve been grumpy for weeks to a point where my wife now encourages me to ride even during a downpour or snowstorm. 

This is hilarious and genius at the same time.

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Aha, that explains my short temper as well, couldn't put my finger on it.

Autumn has entered here with cold, gray and rainy days.  Sometimes I power-on my EUC, just to hear its humming - never thaught I would miss that high-pitched noise.

I think two months was the longest. I didn't have trouble except for mounting, I was all over the place flailing my arms. 

If you have two wheels, the action of moving between them keeps you sharp for the inevitable down time.

Wheel withdrawal aside,  I  don't think you're going to forget all you've learned in a couple of weeks.

I can't explain it, but the muscle memory stays with you and you'll probably pick up right where you left off.

However, if you start 'jonesing for a [wheel] fix', maybe you can start a support group with all these guys from colder climates... ;)

58 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

If you get too desperate during the winter months you can try this.

Or draw stupid hieroglyphics. My wife hates it  when I do this. The driveway is a mess until spring. 

I actually drew something that made sense. 

I need to decide what to draw this year. 

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I need to decide what to draw this year.

Try recreating Marty"s picture of him sitting there with all of his wheels... If your driveway is long enough!

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Try recreating Marty"s picture of him sitting there with all of his wheels... If your driveway is long enough!

Lol....Yep I just measured and it’s to short. A bobsled run might work.

4 hours ago, Gibo993 said:

Its a lot like snowboarding, I only get the chance to go one or two times a year, but you pick it up in minutes - The brain is a very clever thing!

And, you can use your winter EUC protective gear for snowboarding, which helps you justify the expense of it all [to your spouse].  

37 minutes ago, paulz said:

And, you can use your winter EUC protective gear for snowboarding, which helps you justify the expense of it all [to your spouse].  

LOL,   I have won all kinds of productivity rewards at work. I won a big screen TV and lots of gift cards to Bass pro and many other places.   ............. If you talk to my wife make sure you back me up on that! :rolleyes:

On 11/26/2018 at 12:57 PM, Rehab1 said:

During the winter I try to keep my long driveway clean as possible so I can get in short rides.

Last winter I ended up buying an expensive ticket for an indoor running track. Two laps and my feet were dead! I had to have a long break and tell myself to relax. After that, 14km no problem.

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Last winter I ended up buying an expensive ticket for an indoor running track. Two laps and my feet were dead! I had to have a long break and tell myself to relax. After that, 14km no problem.

That looks like a lot of fun!! I am guessing you got permission to ride for the video? We have at least two tracks like that locally. I don’t have any hope in ever riding on one though. I would end up in jail and on the front page of the news paper. “ Man violates sanctity of local running track with evil monolithic mechanized device that threatened the lives of many innocent by standers.” 

Here you are not even aloud to use a baby stroller on the track.  One slip up could damage the beautiful track. Sensible people ruin everything! :angry:

10 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Very cool! It looks like you had the track entirely to yourself. Were they any restrictions? Did you have to demonstrate your skills first? 

4 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Here you are not even aloud to use a baby stroller on the track.  One slip up could damage the beautiful track. Sensible people ruin everything! :angry:

Same here. I can’t even ride on an outdoor track. 

53 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

It's like a bicycle. You don't forget.

Easy to say! :P You don't forget, but... you miss A LOT! :crying:

On 11/29/2018 at 3:35 PM, RockyTop said:

That looks like a lot of fun!! I am guessing you got permission to ride for the video?

I did make sure I could ride before paying the 12€ for the ticket. Although, now that they know what an EUC is they might not let me in anymore... heh!

The extra lap downstairs was empty the whole time, but there were a few runners and a few handicapped people hand-cycling on the main track upstairs.

Were they any restrictions? Did you have to demonstrate your skills first? 

Nope. Just to ride sensibly of course. I only passed others very slowly, if at all.

It’s been below freezing so I haven’t ridden in a few weeks. Yesterday I finally made a short trip, and boy was it fun!!

Archived