To buy a EUC or a different type of E-Vehicle

Brandon Cohen

If budget concious and don't really care about top speed, ninebot one c+ is a cool starter wheel.  I started on that immediately when I clicked going forward on the Airwheel X3.  It is only $319 online.  It is more than capable for his needs, 16" wheel, 220Wh battery can do over 10miles per charge.  12.5mph top speed, I out grew this very quickly after a month of riding.  i beat the hell out of it for a month then got my KS16.  I beat it so bad the battery fell out from the side I had to stuff it back in.  

I was quite surprised by all the people who still owned it.  even those that owned it for a few years.  So not everyone needed to go faster than 12.5mph.  though it is much easier going faster than 18.6miles, my comfortable cruising speed today is 25-28mph . but i know many who cruise above that, the speed demons.  

the whole reason i got the ninebot was it was cheap and basically for me a throw away wheel if i ended up not liking this hobby.  unfortunately there is no guarantee you will like it.  everyone is different. but most do get hooked after they learn.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you'll have a problem selling a 14D (a cheaper beginner wheel), especially in the greater LA area where so many new potential riders are. Can hardly think of a wheel easier to sell (given the price is right). $450 to $550 maybe, depending on scratch state? I'm only guessing with little basis:whistling:

Sure, why not? The good thing about EUCs, either they work or not, there's essentially nothing in between. So if you find a working 14D for a good price (around 500), nothing speaks against it unless the shell is broken or the wheel clearly has been abused (where you'd have to replace a part or worry about bent metal somewhere). Haven't heard of any other problems.

You just need to be lucky enough to find such an offer:efee47c9c8:

6 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

@eddiemoy I feel like I'll outgrow the 12.5 mph really quickly, like you did. Though maybe after I beat that up I'll be more comfortable with something like the ks16.

@meepmeepmayer is it worth looking for a 14d used myself? Anything to worry about going used?

Used wheel is a good choice for you also.  Not much to worry about a used wheel unless it looks all beat up, though my ks16 is still working really well and I trust it.   Beat up as hell though

spending money on new if you don’t know if you would like the hobby or not isn’t good. Also the new wheels resell value is really bad.  So getting used is good. 

16s is a good choice, but if you want to stick with a 14 inch diameter wheel, try and go for the MCM5.

52 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

That's like $1400 though.

That's not the worst of it; I bought a grey market 16s for $914 with two chargers, then a week later a US dealer offered me a new one at his cost for $600. These all included shipping. Not rueing a man his profit, but I'm kind ok with crappy warranty support when I get a two for one deal

I bought a used Inmotion V5F for $300 locally so that I wouldn't feel bad about beating it up while learning, and boy I did beat it up! But the great thing about it, psychologically, was that I didn't care! I bought it for that very reason. Now I have a V10F, which I baby because it's new and I don't want to scratch it up (LOL).  I still enjoy climbing on the V5F and cruising around in the street near my house because it is so maneuverable and has enough power to climb the hills in my hilly neighborhood. Every time I want to try some new skill, I grab the V5F, again just because it doesn't bother me to let it crash.

So I would highly recommend getting a used 14" wheel to learn on. It will give you more than enough range for your daily commute, it will have enough power to climb hills and carry groceries and such, and you won't be concerned about getting dents and scratches while you learn. 

6 hours ago, LanghamP said:

That's not the worst of it; I bought a grey market 16s for $914 with two chargers, then a week later a US dealer offered me a new one at his cost for $600. These all included shipping. Not rueing a man his profit, but I'm kind ok with crappy warranty support when I get a two for one deal

That is the cost of the KS16S if you buy direct from KS.  It is his cost.  No profit.

3 hours ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

@Brandon Cohen - whatever you decide to get, be careful not to leave your EUC in reach of your baby/toddler - they have a high affinity for seeking out and pressing buttons! I have had to lock my wheel away for this very reason ☺️ I believe  some wheels can be immobilized via their app. 

Very wise suggestion. I will keep that in mind. It's one of the main reasons I wanted an EUC over an E-scooter this go around. She was always trying to climb my scooter.

5 hours ago, kjon12 said:

I bought a used Inmotion V5F for $300 locally so that I wouldn't feel bad about beating it up while learning, and boy I did beat it up! But the great thing about it, psychologically, was that I didn't care! I bought it for that very reason. Now I have a V10F, which I baby because it's new and I don't want to scratch it up (LOL).  I still enjoy climbing on the V5F and cruising around in the street near my house because it is so maneuverable and has enough power to climb the hills in my hilly neighborhood. Every time I want to try some new skill, I grab the V5F, again just because it doesn't bother me to let it crash.

So I would highly recommend getting a used 14" wheel to learn on. It will give you more than enough range for your daily commute, it will have enough power to climb hills and carry groceries and such, and you won't be concerned about getting dents and scratches while you learn. 

I settled on the KS14D used from @RayRay. I'm excited to learn without feeling bad about beating it up.

I also just purchased a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards. I can link below If anyone cares. I didn't put a ton of research into the gear, though I know it's important. But I have limited time to research with the baby ?

Is it fair to say that at this point EUC have the best range per kg due to that lack of structure? I am looking for something that will do 20mph for 20miles and weigh in at under 23lbs. Can't seem to see anything better than an Mten3 although this 

http://www.trampaboards.com/electric-mountainboards-c-796.html

and this

https://www.meepoboard.com/products/meepo-board

do seem to get close though they will get you covered in crap in the rain. 

Any other bright ideas?

Trying to find something light for carrying in light aircraft to help with getting around at destinations. 

3 minutes ago, Flows said:

Is it fair to say that at this point EUC have the best range per kg due to that lack of structure? I am looking for something that will do 20mph for 20miles and weigh in at under 23lbs. Can't seem to see anything better than an Mten3 although this 

http://www.trampaboards.com/electric-mountainboards-c-796.html

and this

https://www.meepoboard.com/products/meepo-board

do seem to get close though they will get you covered in crap in the rain. 

Any other bright ideas?

Trying to find something light for carrying in light aircraft to help with getting around at destinations. 

You're duplicating your question. You already started a thread to discuss this. Where do you want your answers?

38 minutes ago, Flows said:

Is it fair to say that at this point EUC have the best range per kg due to that lack of structure?

I would say that would be electric skateboards. Next to the battery that everything has to have, there's only a light wooden board and a small motor and not much else. EUCs have big, heavy motors, and the pedals and pedal brackets and rest of the shell add to that.

I am looking for something that will do 20mph for 20miles and weigh in at under 23lbs.

Such an electric unicycle does not even remotely exist. You can do it with twice the weight. The range alone requires a ~650Wh battery. I guess a KingSong KS16S would be the lightest option, at around 18kg, top speed 22mph, 840Wh for 26-28 mile range (the 680Wh battery variant isn't lighter). It also has good protection against dirt from the tire and a great trolley handle.

Can't seem to see anything better than an Mten3

Don't expect to go 20mph on an mten3, it can technically do it, but that's way too fast for such a small tire other than in speed bursts on perfectly smooth ground.

--

EUCs are far more versatile for various conditions than skateboards, but potentially heavier. For 20kg budget you can have an amazing ridable including protective gear. For 10kg, EUCs won't do it.

Also don't forget the weight of the protective gear (helmet etc) that you need for any ridable. That's another 1-2kg.

Didn't realize plane weight can be that critical.

--

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You're duplicating your question. You already started a thread to discuss this. Where do you want your answers?

(S)He's actually staying on topic! Check the thread titles. EUC under 10kg vs. which ridable to choose! Precise placement. You can't complain about that:efee47c9c8:

1 hour ago, Flows said:

I was told EUCs can't go on aircrafts? Though from my understanding the URB-E is allowed. Just bigger and slower than what you are looking for.

2 hours ago, Brandon Cohen said:

I was told EUCs can't go on aircrafts? Though from my understanding the URB-E is allowed. Just bigger and slower than what you are looking for.

They can't go on commercial aircraft. I'm pretty sure the OP is flying/renting his own small plane.

Yes, spot on but they can go in your own aircraft... 

An AT version of this looks pretty awesome:

https://www.enertionboards.com/raptor-2-direct-drive-electric-skateboard/

Else the evolve GT AT but think I prefer a hub motor?

https://evolveskateboardsusa.com/products/carbon-gt-series?variant=7345468604465

Have also asked the Q over at endless-sphere but this team here seems to be all over it. 

Guessing stand up kick scooters are not really in the running?

I'll add my 2c to this, the versatility, fun and storage you can only get from EUC. I have tried the scooter and been thinking about electric bicycle for a over a year now. At my work I can only lock the bike outside (hospital), but EUC I can take to our change room and charge :)  with out taking much space. 

If you have no storage/ parking issues and willing to spend more get the eBike, but if you want to spend less, have more fund (look different/ cool :)) get euc.

eBike will always be safer, pricier $ and not as practical, but EUC is just a different world completely :))

1 hour ago, yourtoys7 said:

I'll add my 2c to this, the versatility, fun and storage you can only get from EUC. I have tried the scooter and been thinking about electric bicycle for a over a year now. At my work I can only lock the bike outside (hospital), but EUC I can take to our change room and charge :)  with out taking much space. 

If you have no storage/ parking issues and willing to spend more get the eBike, but if you want to spend less, have more fund (look different/ cool :)) get euc.

eBike will always be safer, pricier $ and not as practical, but EUC is just a different world completely :))

I actually bought an eBike after trying a few out. I've put on about 350 miles on mine in mixed traffic.

This will sound bizarre, but I think deciding between eBikes and EUCs is pretty simple.

If you ride mostly for pleasure, exercise, and have space, get the safer eBike.

If you need something practical, get the EUC.

If you're truly being practical, don't get a dinky little wheel like the MCM5 or KS16s, get a proper 50 pound wheel. Big wheels just aren't much bigger than smaller wheels, and using the @Marty BackeBacke way of lifting said wheel, the difference between 30 vs 50 pounds isn't much.

I'll probably post a review of my eBike soon, from the perspective of an EUC rider, but the takeaway is that eBikes have serious drawbacks to EUCs.

In my opinion, by far the biggest drawback is the inability to safely store your $2000 eBike as a portable angle grinder costing under 100 dollars will zap through level 15 locks in under 12 seconds. Your typical Kryptonite lock takes between 2-4 seconds to cut through.

2nd major problem is the difficulty getting it on public transportation. No matter how careful I am, I'll bash something.

3rd major problem is a few car drivers will be actively hostile towards you. Make no mistake; some drivers hate bicyclists and would enjoy killing them. No such hostility is present while riding a <fast> wheel such as the MSuper, and if you ride like the way I often do and forgo all protection while carrying babies, drivers look at you as nuts and give you a wide berth.

Another reason is...godamnit bikes are expensive to maintain. There's so many moving parts that need attention and replacement, and you <must> deal with them. In contrast, other than replacing tires and skateboard tape, EUCs require no maintenance.

In short, get the big EUC first, then if you find yourself getting fat, then get the eBike.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

3rd major problem is a few car drivers will be actively hostile towards you. Make no mistake; some drivers hate bicyclists and would enjoy killing them. No such hostility is present while riding a <fast> wheel such as the MSuper, and if you ride like the way I often do and forgo all protection while carrying babies, drivers look at you as nuts and give you a wide berth.

Good observation. Drivers have this weird respect for you when you're going fast on an EUC. The worst case is they speed to catch up then pace you till they hit a light...Bikes on the other hand... cabbies would literally chase me thru red lights when I rode fixed.

8 hours ago, LanghamP said:

If you need something practical, get the EUC.

If you're truly being practical, don't get a dinky little wheel like the MCM5 or KS16s, get a proper 50 pound wheel. Big wheels just aren't much bigger than smaller wheels, and using the @Marty BackeBacke way of lifting said wheel, the difference between 30 vs 50 pounds isn't much.

What's the Marty method??

How do you get a 50 lb wheel up multiple flights of stairs?  Lifting and carrying, while possible, would be tiring and potentially injurious to older rider's backs.  Especially in summer heat or tropical climes.

A furniture dolly can be manually walked up/down stairs one at a time by a single individual, while loaded with much more than 50 pounds. How about a wheel?  Has anyone tried moving a heavy wheel up or down apartment or office stairs like a motorized dolly?  How well did it work? Is that a reasonable alternative to carrying a lighter 30 lb wheel or does it take too much time to get up and down?

Archived