To buy a EUC or a different type of E-Vehicle

Brandon Cohen

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Thai-lad said:

What's the Marty method??

How do you get a 50 lb wheel up multiple flights of stairs?  Lifting and carring, while possible, would be tiring and potentially injurious to older rider's backs.  Especially in summer heat or tropical climes.

A furniture dolly can be manually walked up/down stairs one at a tine by a single individual, while loaded with much more than 50 pounds. How about a wheel?  Has anyone tried moving a heavy wheel up or down apartment or office stairs like a motorized dolly?  How well did it work? Is that a reasonable alternative to carrying a lighter 30 lb wheel or does it take too much time to get up and down?

I made this video for @LanghamP which he found revelatory :)

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I injured my right shoulder carrying my 50 pounder up three flights of steps (and an overpass), but using this method is quite easy other than fatigued legs.

You hold the wheel against your chest which makes incomparably less awkward than any bicycle. Even a 23 pound bicycle is awful to lug around compared to any wheel not beginning with m-o-n-s.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

"Walking" a Monster up or down stairs works due to the big tire. It's not too pretty, but much nicer than carrying the thing.

How awkward is it to power walk it up/down?  Does it go fairly quickly?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Looks like you're still using your back to lift though.  Having injured my back lifting a heavy suitcase once before, I can tell you such injuries can happen unexpectedly without warning, and can take many months to recover from.  Now i lift with my knees or leverage my arms on my thighs when lifting dead weights.

@Thai-lad Didn't do it myself, just watched and was happy my ACM is more manageable:efee8319ab:

It's reasonably fast walking it on stairs, but you might want to let others go up/down the stairs first so they don't trot behind you. And you're hunched over a bit (also puts a little stress on the back), naturally. But it's doable.

Though if I had 3 or more flights of stairs to use every time I leave the house, I wouldn't get a Monster for that reason alone. What's possible is one thing, what's pleasant and convenient in day-to-day use is another.

4 minutes ago, Thai-lad said:

How awkward is it to power walk it up/down?  Does it go fairly quickly?

Not very, and it can go quickly. Even the MSuper is decent for walking up stairs, but the Monster tire makes it so much nicer.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Not very, and it can go quickly. Even the MSuper is decent for walking up stairs, but the Monster tire makes it so much nicer.

Good to know, as I'm thinking about getting one but was concerned about getting it up to the 3rd floor.  Twice a day. Maybe @Marty Backe can make a video ??

5 minutes ago, Thai-lad said:

Good to know, as I'm thinking about getting one but was concerned about getting it up to the 3rd floor.  Twice a day.

But like @meepmeepmayer said, it's still not the best experience. Very doable and by far, nicer to do then to carry the wheel.

However, as with many things in life, we all have our inconveniences.

If it helps you, I hurt my back a little (went away after a few hours) carrying the ACM down two flights of stairs on a bad day, so it's not like carrying a 20kg wheel is so much better.

Get the wheel you want for riding and live with the consequences, or get a V8 or lighter wheel right away that is pleasant to carry (it's just a few kg lighter than my ACM but I found the V8 in a completely different, better ball park for carrying due to the narrower shape - it's a breeze).

47 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

But like @meepmeepmayer said, it's still not the best experience. Very doable and by far, nicer to do then to carry the wheel.

However, as with many things in life, we all have our inconveniences.

If it's a reasonable option, and not an unmanageable chore, then it opens up the possibility of getting an 18" wheel in the future. Otherwise I'd stick with a lighter 14" wheel or smaller for my commute.

Except for the 80 pound monster, wheels if carried against the chest (which I advise to always do) just make you feel like a heavier person. However, since all wheels now have a carrying handle, the temptation is to carry them on one side and so risk injury. My experience with wheels is that carrying wheels like a suitcase will result in an injury, either a chronic one if you're a careful lifter, or a traumatic one if you insist on doing the one handed snatch.

If you're using your EUC for commute you need your other hand to be free. To show your bage, open doors using keys, operate elevator, etc so 2 handed carry is not an option. Also that looks awkward to walk with your EUC holding it with your both hands. So it's better to train more to be able to do 1 hand carry ?

10 hours ago, maxkan said:

If you're using your EUC for commute you need your other hand to be free. To show your bage, open doors using keys, operate elevator, etc so 2 handed carry is not an option. Also that looks awkward to walk with your EUC holding it with your both hands. So it's better to train more to be able to do 1 hand carry ?

Two hands for stairs, particularly if it's a large EUC. The rest of the time you have a one-handed trolley handle. Opening doors, operating elevators, using keys, etc, do not ever happen while simultaneously traversing stairs, so making a habit of two hand carry to get past stairs doesn't inhibit anything, really. Just saves your arm/shoulder/back and makes it less likely you'll drop or hit something with the EUC.

17 minutes ago, Thai-lad said:

How about walking up/down stairs with a Z10?

I would say like on Marty's video, but holding the case under the pedal, as the underpedal doesn't seem wide enough to hold it from there.

ninebot-one-z-z6-z8-z10-electric-unicycl

1 hour ago, Thai-lad said:

How about walking up/down stairs with a Z10?

I haven't tried it, but I don't think it would be great. Although it's an "18-inch" inch wheel, the actual diameter is closer to 17-inches. I "walk" my smaller wheels up single stair steps sometimes, and it works, but it's very much slower compared to a 22-inch Monster tire.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I haven't tried it, but I don't think it would be great. Although it's an "18-inch" inch wheel, the actual diameter is closer to 17-inches. I "walk" my smaller wheels up single stair steps sometimes, and it works, but it's very much slower compared to a 22-inch Monster tire.

So it seems like we have an inverted convenience curve.  Small, lightweights like mTen3 or I5 at the bottom easy to carry up/down, heavy smaller wheels like ACM2 and Z10 awkward to carry or walk in the middle range, and larger wider powerful wheels at the top like MSuperX and Monsters which can be power walked up/down with acceptable efficiency. Which makes sense, but not something I've seen mentioned before.

Most places that you work require "handicap accessible", that is, all the areas can be rolled to in a wheelchair or an EUC.

In fact, you can get a prescription from a doctor for a personal assistive electric device, and register your EUC as a PED, and hence get access everywhere. Someone tells you that riding an EUC isn't allowed, you just whip out your doctor's prescription.

Like I've said before, go big or go small. Get a tiny 14 incher or get an 18 incher. Personally, I'd recommend a new rider just get an 18 incher, never a 16, and maybe later get a 14 incher, but an 18 incher just does so much more than the smaller wheels for not much more weight. Most of the 18 inchers have trolleys anyway, and realistically you're only going to lift them from ground to car. 

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Most places that you work require "handicap accessible", that is, all the areas can be rolled to in a wheelchair or an EUC.

In fact, you can get a prescription from a doctor for a personal assistive electric device, and register your EUC as a PED, and hence get access everywhere. Someone tells you that riding an EUC isn't allowed, you just whip out your doctor's prescription.

Like I've said before, go big or go small. Get a tiny 14 incher or get an 18 incher. Personally, I'd recommend a new rider just get an 18 incher, never a 16, and maybe later get a 14 incher, but an 18 incher just does so much more than the smaller wheels for not much more weight. Most of the 18 inchers have trolleys anyway, and realistically you're only going to lift them from ground to car. 

Handicap accessible hasn't made it to Thailand. But there's no regulations against PEVs either.  But then my point was about getting them up and down stairs. Till now I would have ruled out 18" for that reason.  But I may have been too hasty...

6 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

Handicap accessible hasn't made it to Thailand. But there's no regulations against PEVs either.  But then my point was about getting them up and down stairs. Till now I would have ruled out 18" for that reason.  But I may have been too hasty...

How often do you encounter flights of steps? If you live on the sixth floor and there's no elevator then an 18 incher is still doable but with some difficulty. My personal tolerance is three stories, which coincidentally was my old apartment.

20 minutes ago, Thai-lad said:

Every day.  Up and down twice a day (morning/evening and lunch).

If your steps are three stories or less then an 18 incher is very doable, but four stories or more is hard.

Archived