To buy a EUC or a different type of E-Vehicle

Brandon Cohen

Hi guys, I'm new here but REALLY glad I've found these forums!

I've been searching around but still can't make up my mind.

My situation:
I was spending too much money commuting to and from work (about .7 miles) on Limes, Birds, etc. I also go home every day for lunch. So I bought an e-scooter by GoTrax. I had to return it due to various issues with the scooter. I started looking into more expensive scooters (around $1k), which made me realize I had other options as well.

ESK8, EUC, E-Scooter, E-Bike.
ESK8 isn't as exciting to me because you can't turn fast and I have train tracks on my commute.
E-Bikes are too big for my studio, so that's a hard no from my wife.
E-Scooters (like limes, birds, etc.) seem like a fantastic option in general. Safe, reliable, pretty fast, etc. etc.
E-Scooters (like URB-E) seem the safest and most reliable but are $$$ and they are pretty slow.
EUC just seem like SO much fun!

So my main concern with the EUC is that I'm going to get hurt really badly from a fall. I have a 10 month old, so I don't want to endanger my life any more than I have to. I'm also worried that My knees or calves are just going to be super sore all the time (plus always standing without a handle, doesn't that get SO tiring??)

Looking for some convincing here that a EUC is worth it! (and your best suggestions for a beginner - though I have a long board, so I'm not a total noob on wheels)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course when you come to an EUC site for advice on what to buy, we're going to suggest an EUC :)

Only you can decide what's an acceptable risk. In my opinion the odds are in your favor that you won't be injured in an incapacitating manner when using a quality EUC in a responsible manner. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say most members of this Forum have not broken bones. Most members have scraped skin, gotten bruises, etc. I always tell people that this is a contact sport, most of which occurs when learning. E-Scooters, E-Bikes, etc. have their own risks. Walking out the door can be risky :lol:

Your knees most likely will not get sore. Your calves and shins will be super sore during the learning phase which lasts for a few weeks. Operating an EUC will be very tiring during the early learning period, as your body is adapting. Once again, after a few weeks that will go away.

Riding an EUC is much less tiring than spending a couple of hours shopping in a Mall, if you can relate to that. It's basically so fun, even if riding for only 1/2-mile, that you won't want to get off the wheel when you reach your destination. When I take mine to the local grocery store, I'll take the long way there just for the fun.

I'm sure you'll being asking for advice on what to buy. This question gets asked by new people every few days. PLEASE browse this section of the Forum to see all the advice already offered. I'll say real quick, based on your budget and use-case, something like the KS14D/S will be perfect for you. Take a look at the EWheels.com website.

You want a scooter, get a scooter. You want a EUC, get a EUC. Both are great options for your use case (unlike eskate or bike).

The Limes etc. seem to be unbranded Xiaomi M365 scooters, so you know how that one would ride.

You don't get sore knees or calves from riding a EUC any more than from riding a scooter (not at all). And the lack of a handle of some kind makes it more natural to ride, so why would that be problem? Do you get tired from walking without a handle? No:efee47c9c8:

EUCs are inherently instable so anything that happens will be a crash (or a run-off at low speed). Though it is 99.99% rider error if something happens (notwithstanding cars ramming you or whatever can also happen on a scooter). So not riding like a moron and wearing protection (wrist guards, helmet, knee guards) is all that's needed. Did you wear a helmet riding the Limes? If not, that was already more risky than any added EUC risk. And if you did, just add wrist guards and that's it.

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Your knees most likely will not get sore. Your calves and shins will be super sore during the learning phase which lasts for a few weeks. Operating an EUC will be very tiring during the early learning period, as your body is adapting. Once again, after a few weeks that will go away.

My main concern here is that I used to ride my Long Board to and from work, but it ended up hurting my knees, even after not riding for over a month my knees are still hurting. But riding an E-Scooter didn't seem to hurt at all. But I'm glad to know that it'll most likely just be a few weeks of discomfort.

36 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Riding an EUC is much less tiring than spending a couple of hours shopping in a Mall, if you can relate to that. It's basically so fun, even if riding for only 1/2-mile, that you won't want to get off the wheel when you reach your destination. When I take mine to the local grocery store, I'll take the long way there just for the fun.

I can definitely relate to lots of walking at the mall. 
When I first got my GoTrax I rode way out of the way because it was so much fun, so I totally understand!

37 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'll say real quick, based on your budget and use-case, something like the KS14D/S will be perfect for you.

I'll definitely do my research before asking. I was looking at the KS14D/S or the inmotion v8. I'm really just unsure of wheel size. From what I understand 16 seems to be a favorite amongst many riders.

ALSO, Good lord you have a lot of wheels! That's crazyyyyyyy!

31 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You want a scooter, get a scooter. You want a EUC, get a EUC.

The thing is, I had a scooter and it was great for what I needed. But an EUC just seems like so much fun! I just want to make sure it's the right decision!

32 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Did you wear a helmet riding the Limes?

I didn't wear a helmet, but the handlebars made me feel like I was more in control. Bunnyhops if I needed to, etc.

32 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Do you get tired from walking without a handle? No:efee47c9c8:

LOL. 

54 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You want a scooter, get a scooter. You want a EUC, get a EUC. Both are great options for your use case (unlike eskate or bike).

The Limes etc. seem to be unbranded Xiaomi M365 scooters, so you know how that one would ride.

You don't get sore knees or calves from riding a EUC any more than from riding a scooter (not at all). And the lack of a handle of some kind makes it more natural to ride, so why would that be problem? Do you get tired from walking without a handle? No:efee47c9c8:

EUCs are inherently instable so anything that happens will be a crash (or a run-off at low speed). Though it is 99.99% rider error if something happens (notwithstanding cars ramming you or whatever can also happen on a scooter). So not riding like a moron and wearing protection (wrist guards, helmet, knee guards) is all that's needed. Did you wear a helmet riding the Limes? If not, that was already more risky than any added EUC risk. And if you did, just add wrist guards and that's it.

Oh common Meep, where's your EUC advocacy? He clearly wants to buy an EUC and here you are being Mr. neutral :lol:

Remember, you're senior member of the EUC club, try and act like one ;)

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh common Meep, where's your EUC advocacy? He clearly wants to buy an EUC and here you are being Mr. neutral :lol:

Remember, you're senior member of the EUC club, try and act like one ;)

Haha well, I'm not 100% on the EUC. I really liked my scooter. But that too is a little large for our studio. Just trying to weight the pros and cons. Figured what better place to hear pros than a EUC forum haha.

9 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

Haha well, I'm not 100% on the EUC. I really liked my scooter. But that too is a little large for our studio. Just trying to weight the pros and cons. Figured what better place to hear pros than a EUC forum haha.

And if you want a tiny yet powerhouse of a wheel, check out the Mten3, one of my favorite fun wheels and very practical for the kind of commute that you're considering. You could store it under the kitchen sink ;)

So you have a small child and want to buy a EUC... Well... This is no joke

I'd suggest you to:

1) buy full body protection including full face helmet.

2) make sure you have good medical and accident insurance, save some money to pay for your bills in case of an accident and hospitalization

3) make sure you have good disability insurance for cases when you wouldn't be able to provide for your family after an accident

4) get good life insurance, to be certain your wife and child will be taken care of in case of fatal injury

EUCs are dangerous so you should make yourself fully aware what you're dealing with and be willing to accept possible consequences

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

And if you want a tiny yet powerhouse of a wheel, check out the Mten3, one of my favorite fun wheels and very practical for the kind of commute that you're considering. 

The Mten3 is a great wheel. Compact, lightweight, extremely fun to ride but as you have stated on numerous occasions probably not a good choice for a first wheel. I wonder though if you actually began your EUC learning curve on a Mten3 would that paradigm change?

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You could store it under the kitchen sink ;)

Another good reason to buy a Mten3. It makes hiding the wheel from your wife effortless. ;)

7 hours ago, Brandon Cohen said:

my main concern with the EUC is that I'm going to get hurt really badly from a fall

Well....I can attest to experience in the case of a bad fall. At 0.7 miles commute a key question is what do you do on your device when things go unexpectedly wrong? You mentioned train tracks. At a 90 degree angle, with a large enough wheel, tracks are no problem. I've tried to cross train tracks in Boston which had two inches of asphalt built up on each side on a Ninebot One and flopped off as the stopped MBTA train waited for me to get off the tracks. Riding an EUC the rider tends to not want to dismount once in motion. Does this present an issue for you while negotiating traffic and or sidewalk obstructions along YOUR 0.7 mile ride?

The electric unicycle accelerates much faster than the Bird scooter I tried in Cambridge , MA. In less than 100 feet you can be at top speed on an EUC. Stopping in short time on an EUC is an art that you get better at with more experience. Unlike the eScooter your hands play no role in applying the brakes, aside from maintaining balance when cut off my the driver who might not even notice you.

What do you do with your device when it goes wrong quickly?

Thinking in terms of 0.7 miles from where I live two thoughts come to mind. First is that 0.7 miles is the distance from where I live to the location where my Ninebot One with several thousand miles of riding on it left me dumped on a quiet street with a broken shoulder. The road had some ruts, the weather was cold, I was near the Ninebot's top speed and was going slightly downhill when I found myself free falling toward the pavement surface. Like several other riders my injury became apparent while trying to stand up. Like several other riders I was in shock. Like several other riders the choice of leaving my device and walking back to where I live gave way to the thought and actual experience of carefully riding back to my residence. 0.7 miles back to the apt on my Ninebot One!

Once back at the apt, carrying my Ninebot up a staircase with my good arm, I washed the blood off my face beneath my eye which was carefully stitched up by a nurse in Boston where I was ultimately treated. Cab fare back after an overnight stay was $80 and the thought of standing in a moving MBTA train car was frightening with my arm in a black sling.

0.7 miles....was the approximate distance to the local hospital from my apt. which I road my EUC back to from the site of my accident. However... I decided to WALK to the local hospital, holding my injured arm with the other hand. I walked slowly, my vision was affected by my head position which was generally down and looking at the sidewalk for features which I might stumble on. Arriving at the hospital emergency entrance my first communication with the desk person was....I think I broke my arm. Sometime later and after a few x-rays I was in an ambulance headed for Boston for more if the same and an overnight stay and four stitches in my eyelid.

The arm and shoulder healed over a few months but honestly ...the rotator cuff is never the same after the force of the injury displaces certain critical anatomy. You learn to live with the problem....maybe put on your shirt in way favoring the good arm. Fortunately I required neither surgery nor cadaveric bone nor surgical metal to restore my health and arm functionality. Recovery in the first few weeks included challenges like getting out of bed, showering without fear of falling and getting dressed.

I bought a long range EUC after I felt well again, a period of several months plus physical therapy. The Monster has a smoother and more stable ride than the Ninebot which I appreciated. I rode it several thousand kilometers. I bought Action cameras, made movies of my rides and shared my creations on this forum.  One day, after 8000 km, one of the pedals on my heavy Monster broke off dumping me again into the street. No major damage to me this time. However a few weeks later the Monster has a broken axle ($380 to replace from AliExpress).

What's not to love with an EUC????

Great forum feedback here.

3 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Well....I can attest to experience in the case of a bad fall. At 0.7 miles commute a key question is what do you do on your device when things go unexpectedly wrong? You mentioned train tracks. At a 90 degree angle, with a large enough wheel, tracks are no problem. I've tried to cross train tracks in Boston which had two inches of asphalt built up on each side on a Ninebot One and flopped off as the stopped MBTA train waited for me to get off the tracks. Riding an EUC the rider tends to not want to dismount once in motion. Does this present an issue for you while negotiating traffic and or sidewalk obstructions along YOUR 0.7 mile ride?

The electric unicycle accelerates much faster than the Bird scooter I tried in Cambridge , MA. In less than 100 feet you can be at top speed on an EUC. Stopping in short time on an EUC is an art that you get better at with more experience. Unlike the eScooter your hands play no role in applying the brakes, aside from maintaining balance when cut off my the driver who might not even notice you.

What do you do with your device when it goes wrong quickly?

Thinking in terms of 0.7 miles from where I live two thoughts come to mind. First is that 0.7 miles is the distance from where I live to the location where my Ninebot One with several thousand miles of riding on it left me dumped on a quiet street with a broken shoulder. The road had some ruts, the weather was cold, I was near the Ninebot's top speed and was going slightly downhill when I found myself free falling toward the pavement surface. Like several other riders my injury became apparent while trying to stand up. Like several other riders I was in shock. Like several other riders the choice of leaving my device and walking back to where I live gave way to the thought and actual experience of carefully riding back to my residence. 0.7 miles back to the apt on my Ninebot One!

Once back at the apt, carrying my Ninebot up a staircase with my good arm, I washed the blood off my face beneath my eye which was carefully stitched up by a nurse in Boston where I was ultimately treated. Cab fare back after an overnight stay was $80 and the thought of standing in a moving MBTA train car was frightening with my arm in a black sling.

0.7 miles....was the approximate distance to the local hospital from my apt. which I road my EUC back to from the site of my accident. However... I decided to WALK to the local hospital, holding my injured arm with the other hand. I walked slowly, my vision was affected by my head position which was generally down and looking at the sidewalk for features which I might stumble on. Arriving at the hospital emergency entrance my first communication with the desk person was....I think I broke my arm. Sometime later and after a few x-rays I was in an ambulance headed for Boston for more if the same and an overnight stay and four stitches in my eyelid.

The arm and shoulder healed over a few months but honestly ...the rotator cuff is never the same after the force of the injury displaces certain critical anatomy. You learn to live with the problem....maybe put on your shirt in way favoring the good arm. Fortunately I required neither surgery nor cadaveric bone nor surgical metal to restore my health and arm functionality. Recovery in the first few weeks included challenges like getting out of bed, showering without fear of falling and getting dressed.

I bought a long range EUC after I felt well again, a period of several months plus physical therapy. The Monster has a smoother and more stable ride than the Ninebot which I appreciated. I rode it several thousand kilometers. I bought Action cameras, made movies of my rides and shared my creations on this forum.  One day, after 8000 km, one of the pedals on my heavy Monster broke off dumping me again into the street. No major damage to me this time. However a few weeks later the Monster has a broken axle ($380 to replace from AliExpress).

What's not to love with an EUC????

Great forum feedback here.

Great story Bob. I don't recall reading about this before, in this detail. Hopefully you haven't scared @Brandon Cohen away from EUC's forever :)

8 hours ago, maxkan said:

I'd suggest you to:

1) buy full body protection including full face helmet.

2) make sure you have good medical and accident insurance, save some money to pay for your bills in case of an accident and hospitalization

3) make sure you have good disability insurance for cases when you wouldn't be able to provide for your family after an accident

4) get good life insurance, to be certain your wife and child will be taken care of in case of fatal injury

EUCs are dangerous so you should make yourself fully aware what you're dealing with and be willing to accept possible consequences

Wow, all these stories to discourage EUC use :huh:

I don't think there's ever been a fatal injury related to riding an EUC, so that may be a little over-the-top.

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

The Mten3 is a great wheel. Compact, lightweight, extremely fun to ride but as you have stated on numerous occasions probably not a good choice for a first wheel. I wonder though if you actually began your EUC learning curve on a Mten3 would that paradigm change?

Another good reason to buy a Mten3. It makes hiding the wheel from your wife effortless. ;)

I know of one rider for sure that chose the Mten3 as their first wheel, so I now know it's not too bad. I'm beginning to wonder if any wheel is really that much harder to learn on. Remembering back to my learning days, it's pretty hard regardless of the wheel that you're using.

9 hours ago, maxkan said:

Looking back at my accident I thought this would be a good time to evaluate your check list to see if I followed all of your suggestions:

1) buy full body protection including full face helmet. Complied

2) make sure you have good medical and accident insurance, save some money to pay for your bills in case of an accident and hospitalization. Complied

3) make sure you have good disability insurance for cases when you wouldn't be able to provide for your family after an accident. Complied

4) get good life insurance, to be certain your wife and child will be taken care of in case of fatal injury. Complied

I’m covered! :thumbup: Time to go riding.

A mile commute is just a little bit of fun. If I knew that was all then I'd buy some single speed bicycle from Aventon or similar, but if I knew I'd need to carry things then a standard 16 incher would work.

@Brandon Cohen I was also a little afraid of the dangers of riding an EUC. Anyone can get hurt doing just about anything. I honestly would be afraid of suggesting an EUC to anyone that did not grow up riding bicycles and some other form of wheeled devices. I feel pretty confident that skateboards and possibly roller skates are more dangerous than EUCs. 

Now that I have learned to ride I feel safer on an EUC than a bicycle. I have more control. Learning tends to be a slow process. It normally takes a month to feel comfortable in traffic. After the first month you think that you are as good as you will get but your skill tends to double over the next few months. 

Also keep in mind that the average age on this forum is above 50.:D   And I say this with great respect to the amazing people that simply refuse to act their age. 

RockyTop’s beginners guide

Very nice guide! 

27 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Also keep in mind that the average age on this forum is above 50.:D   And I say this with great respect to the amazing people that simply refuse to act their age. 

I never fully understood the meaning of 'Act you Age' until now.

376f42ca58df48c0f4e166df42f65b56

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

@Brandon Cohen I was also a little afraid of the dangers of riding an EUC. Anyone can get hurt doing just about anything. I honestly would be afraid of suggesting an EUC to anyone that did not grow up riding bicycles and some other form of wheeled devices. I feel pretty confident that skateboards and possibly roller skates are more dangerous than EUCs. 

Now that I have learned ride I feel safer on an EUC than a bicycle. I have more control. Learning tends to be a slow process. It normally takes a month to feel comfortable in traffic. After the first month you think that you are as good as you will get but your skill tends to double over the next few months. 

RockyTop’s beginners guide

Are you listening @Rehab1?

Thank you all for posting! Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I'm a new account and had to wait 24hrs to respond.

I rode a Bird to work yesterday and tried to pay attention as closely as possible to every little detail about the ride.

- The bird was fairly bumpy, and I could feel everything the wheel touched because it doesn't have any shocks to absorb it. 

- Accelerating can be a bit annoying because it goes forward pretty hard making you lean back.

- Stopping is really nice because you can stop in maybe 3-5 ft if not even quicker.

- I rode a Uscooter home from work and it was so smooth because of the shocks. I hardly felt anything on the road. But it was kinda boring tbh. EUCs just seem like they're so much fun.

So I've decided I'm going to start researching the best EUCs to get (taking into account the EUCs recommended here). I'm going to buy the necessary gear; helmet, elbow pads, knee pads. 

I am left with a few questions. Sorry in advance if they are in the beginner guide posted above, I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

How long does it take to get good at stopping quickly? (Not sure if I mentioned this before, but my commute is all downtown. So that means potentially stopping at every single light if I'm unlucky.) Also, what's the fastest an experienced rider can stop on an EUC?

I have two train tracks I have to go over on my way, I can't make it on a long board, but I can with scooter just fine. How hard will this be to overcome? It's for a metro line, so not traditional train tracks.

How hard is it to go down a really steep hill? I live near the beach with a bike path, but to get there I need to go down a pretty intense hill. I can always walk, but eventually I'd like to ride down it.

And finally, carrying things. I wear a backpack to work. But sometimes go to the grocery store on my old scooter to grab a few things. I'd leave with a bag or two. How hard is it to ride with varying weights in your hands or on your back?

Any other useful tips, I'd love to hear them. I'm like 70/80% sure I'm getting an EUC. I rode a friends EUC a few years ago, it had a seat and I was riding it in about 5 minutes albeit very slowly. So I imagine the other 30/20% will come as soon as I start riding.

7 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

How long does it take to get good at stopping quickly? (Not sure if I mentioned this before, but my commute is all downtown. So that means potentially stopping at every single light if I'm unlucky.)

It mainly depends how much time you devote in practicing it, and of course on your talent. I assume some people can just do it and some people have to practice hours.

Also, what's the fastest an experienced rider can stop on an EUC?

Nobody really knows, see

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/11739-sudden-break-behavior

I have two train tracks I have to go over on my way, I can't make it on a long board, but I can with scooter just fine. How hard will this be to overcome?

Mounting curbs or passing potholes is again a matter of practicing, but if it works with a scooter it should be relatively easy, maybe even immediate with an EUC.

It's for a metro line, so not traditional train tracks.

How hard is it to go down a really steep hill? I live near the beach with a bike path, but to get there I need to go down a pretty intense hill. I can always walk, but eventually I'd like to ride down it.

It's not too difficult to go steep hills, something like 15-20% should be a piece of cake.

And finally, carrying things. I wear a backpack to work. But sometimes go to the grocery store on my old scooter to grab a few things. I'd leave with a bag or two. How hard is it to ride with varying weights in your hands or on your back?

It feels strange at first but it only needs small adjustments in riding.

If you are reasonably fit and healthy and can take a fall, then buy a EUC, otherwise I'd go for a scooter. Both are compact and fun to ride, but a scooter is way cheaper, safer and easier to get spares for. Anyone can ride a scooter, but EUC takes a lot of practice. EUC is more cool and gets a lot of attention from people including police. EUC is more versatile and can go where no scooter can go. I plan to have both.

55 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

Thank you all for posting! Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I'm a new account and had to wait 24hrs to respond.

I rode a Bird to work yesterday and tried to pay attention as closely as possible to every little detail about the ride.

- The bird was fairly bumpy, and I could feel everything the wheel touched because it doesn't have any shocks to absorb it. 

- Accelerating can be a bit annoying because it goes forward pretty hard making you lean back.

- Stopping is really nice because you can stop in maybe 3-5 ft if not even quicker.

- I rode a Uscooter home from work and it was so smooth because of the shocks. I hardly felt anything on the road. But it was kinda boring tbh. EUCs just seem like they're so much fun.

So I've decided I'm going to start researching the best scooters to get (taking into account the scooters recommended here). I'm going to buy the necessary gear; helmet, elbow pads, knee pads. 

I am left with a few questions. Sorry in advance if they are in the beginner guide posted above, I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

How long does it take to get good at stopping quickly? (Not sure if I mentioned this before, but my commute is all downtown. So that means potentially stopping at every single light if I'm unlucky.) Also, what's the fastest an experienced rider can stop on an EUC?

I have two train tracks I have to go over on my way, I can't make it on a long board, but I can with scooter just fine. How hard will this be to overcome? It's for a metro line, so not traditional train tracks.

Any other useful tips, I'd love to hear them. I'm like 70/80% sure I'm getting an EUC. I rode a friends EUC a few years ago, it had a seat and I was riding it in about 5 minutes albeit very slowly. So I imagine the other 30/20% will come as soon as I start riding.

I assume that you meant to say EUC's here, not scooters?

Unless you're riding at 30-mph (which you won't be), stopping on an EUC is effortless and fast. I wouldn't bother worrying about this. EUCs are widely used in NYC and it's a non-issue.

I ride over large train tracks all the time. Non-issue.

Steep hills (I know Long Beach) are a non-issue. It may take you awhile before you feel comfortable doing it, but it's all mental (in your head, not reality).

Carry items is a non-issue. Every week I go grocery shopping and will carry a couple of bags home (one with each arm). Don't expect to be doing this until a few months have gone by.

Just to chime in here, I have actually ridden scooters, e-skates, EUCs, and even owned an URB-E for a while. My goal was to find the most efficient and practical way to commute around a dense city (San Francisco). I have been using EUCs exclusively to commute for over a year now and have gone through 6 different ones trying to find the 'holy grail' EUC for commute purposes.

EUC's are the most compact shape that can be unobtrusively stored even when taking it in with you into crowded restaurants or bars, something that cannot be said of any of the other options. While scooters and the URB-E can fold, they are still quite tall which can be awkward sometimes. San Francisco has rampant bike theft all over the city so being able to take it in with me no matter where I am going was important. I can also take one with me in an uber, even if I don't have access to the trunk (as long as it isn't a Monster).

EUC's are in a grey area legally but in essentially all areas of the USA you won't be hassled riding one on a sidewalk as long as you are going slow enough (~10 mph). This is one area where they shine over the others. eskate and scooters don't have as tight a turning radius as an EUC so its easier to maneuver among pedestrians without them having to take special consideration for you. You also occupy the same amount of space as a pedestrian where your other choices are all longer which can annoy others if its crowded. If it gets *really* crowded you can always extend the trolly and walk it like luggage which everyone is mostly familiar with. Trying to carry a skateboard or push a folded scooter is generally more awkward. Eskate in particular (but also true to some extent for scooters and bikes) are generally either flatly illegal or heavily discouraged from being on the sidewalk. The ability to hop onto the sidewalk for sections of the commute when the street is too crazy is underrated.

EUC's have great range for their size/shape. Even what most on this forum consider mid-range boards in the 800-1000wh category can easily do most daily commutes without having any range anxiety.

EUC's handle rough terrain and large bumps better than any of the others due to the size of the wheel (this is somewhat rider skill dependant though).

EUC's have superior traction and handling in the rain compared to most other options short of a bicycle. This is most applicable in places like Seattle and San Francisco where it rains enough to be noticeable but its usually pretty light rain that is just enough to make everything wet but not enough to really be a serious storm or hinderance as long as your rideable can handle the now wet asphalt.

Practical considerations against EUCs -

Where I live broken glass is quite common on the ground on my commute path. Both on the sidewalk and in the bike lane/roads. Due to this I am always more stressed about flat tires than most. The small solid rubber tires on some scooters or the solid urethane wheels on eskates would probably have a longer average lifespan. This is specific to my situation though. I literally see broken glass every single time I ride more than half a mile in san francisco. Many scooters also can get flats though so this only applies as an advantage to some.

EUCs are inherently unstable. This means that in the event of any type of hardware malfunction you are probably going to be eating pavement. Hence the advice of everyone to wear protective gear. This is the only one of all the options where you could be doing everything correctly, be skilled, and have nobody near you and still fall and get injured. To be fair this is also a very rare occurrence. I personally have ridden 1000's of miles without it ever happening but just the tiny possibility that it could happen weighs heavier on most of the veteran riders minds than is fun.

They are addictive. Many consider this a plus but it is worth noting that I don't think I have seen many people just stick with the first wheel they bought for more than 1 year. So while on paper they are quite economical most people develop an itch for the latest and greatest *cough* @Marty Backe *cough*

Hopefully this helps, feel free to keep bouncing ideas here - the last advantage is the EUC community is probably the friendliest and close-knit of all the community forums around these devices. Good Luck, you'll have fun with whatever you choose I'm sure!

26 minutes ago, electricpen said:

Just to chime in here, I have actually ridden scooters, e-skates, EUCs, and even owned an URB-E for a while. My goal was to find the most efficient and practical way to commute around a dense city (San Francisco). I have been using EUCs exclusively to commute for over a year now and have gone through 6 different ones trying to find the 'holy grail' EUC for commute purposes.

EUC's are the most compact shape that can be unobtrusively stored even when taking it in with you into crowded restaurants or bars, something that cannot be said of any of the other options. While scooters and the URB-E can fold, they are still quite tall which can be awkward sometimes. San Francisco has rampant bike theft all over the city so being able to take it in with me no matter where I am going was important. I can also take one with me in an uber, even if I don't have access to the trunk (as long as it isn't a Monster).

EUC's are in a grey area legally but in essentially all areas of the USA you won't be hassled riding one on a sidewalk as long as you are going slow enough (~10 mph). This is one area where they shine over the others. eskate and scooters don't have as tight a turning radius as an EUC so its easier to maneuver among pedestrians without them having to take special consideration for you. You also occupy the same amount of space as a pedestrian where your other choices are all longer which can annoy others if its crowded. If it gets *really* crowded you can always extend the trolly and walk it like luggage which everyone is mostly familiar with. Trying to carry a skateboard or push a folded scooter is generally more awkward.

EUC's have great range for their size/shape. Even what most on this forum consider mid-range boards in the 800-1000wh category can easily do most daily commutes without having any range anxiety.

EUC's handle rough terrain and large bumps better than any of the others due to the size of the wheel (this is somewhat rider skill dependant though).

EUC's have superior traction and handling in the rain compared to most other options short of a bicycle. This is most applicable in places like Seattle and San Francisco where it rains enough to be noticeable but its usually pretty light rain that is just enough to make everything wet but not enough to really be a serious storm or hinderance as long as your rideable can handle the now wet asphalt.

Practical considerations against EUCs -

Where I live broken glass is quite common on the ground on my commute path. Both on the sidewalk and in the bike lane/roads. Due to this I am always more stressed about flat tires than most. The small solid rubber tires on some scooters or the solid urethane wheels on eskates would probably have a longer average lifespan. This is specific to my situation though. I literally see broken glass every single time I ride more than half a mile in san francisco. Many scooters also can get flats though so this only applies as an advantage to some.

EUCs are inherently unstable. This means that in the event of any type of hardware malfunction you are probably going to be eating pavement. Hence the advice of everyone to wear protective gear. This is the only one of all the options where you could be doing everything correctly, be skilled, and have nobody near you and still fall and get injured. To be fair this is also a very rare occurrence. I personally have ridden 1000's of miles without it ever happening but just the tiny possibility that it could happen weighs heavier on most of the veteran riders minds than is fun.

They are addictive. Many consider this a plus but it is worth noting that I don't think I have seen many people just stick with the first wheel they bought for more than 1 year. So while on paper they are quite economical most people develop an itch for the latest and greatest *cough* @Marty Backe *cough*

Hopefully this helps, feel free to keep bouncing ideas here - the last advantage is the EUC community is probably the friendliest and close-knit of all the community forums around these devices. Good Luck, you'll have fun with whatever you choose I'm sure!

A perfect summation that should be very useful :cheers:

I know you just sold your ACM. So what's your current 'holy grail' EUC for the the city?

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

A perfect summation that should be very useful :cheers:

I know you just sold your ACM. So what's your current 'holy grail' EUC for the the city?

Right now its a toss up between the MCM5 and the KS18L. One is better on the sidewalk and one is better on the road. In general if I had to pick only one I'd probably pick the KS18L but I really miss the torque on the MCM5. I have a suspicion the Tesla might actually be the perfect commute wheel for me but I've never ridden one so I'm not sure. Also, ironically considering common stereotypes, the KS18L has been less reliable and durable for me than the MCM5.

Archived