Jump to content

Monster 100v or MSX - An appeal for guidance from the Gotway gurus


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Upgrade tire on monster 100v 80 /90 - 17  NR77 3,15 inches width Total 22.63 inches 

@Holt  My 2 cents: save up the money and wait for the inevitable new Monster redesign, which is exactly what I'm doing (preemptively sold my 84V Monster for this very reason). Objectively sp

I just got my 100v Monster about 2 weeks ago and I already put 200 miles on it. Its incredible. Its glides over rough pavement with stability and silence. I go far and fast and only at night. I don't

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

The next question is if a 84V - 2400wH Monster with 240 miles on it, a seat, fast charger, and a one year warranty from eWheels for $1950 is a good deal or not?

In my opinion, yes, assuming that it wasn't ridden hard. Unfortunately this is difficult to know, but you could ask for the history behind the wheel.

The big weakness with the Monster  (I believe even the currently shipping models) is the pedal hangers attachment to the motor. Due to the nature of the pedal hangers being very long (22-inch wheel) there is a lot more stress on the pedal hangers where they connect to the motor. This can result in the pedals loosening over time which can be a real pain to fix (tear the wheel totally apart).

If the wheel is mostly ridden on pavement (not a lot of bumps and jarring of the wheel), it could take a long time (thousands of miles) for this to develop. If the wheel is ridden a lot on trails, it could happen within many hundreds of miles.

So if I were buying a used Monster (even with a relatively low 240-miles) I would want to know how it was ridden.

But that price, for what you're getting, is excellent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Girth Brooks

For the 100V Monster:

Range is something like 90km-100km (58-62 miles). So definitely a solid 90km/60mile wheel. More or less depending on how the stars align.

No Gotway dance.

Now, about this 84V Monster. Personally, what I really dislike about it, it has the old ACM/msuper V3 style board which just isn't very strong and can pretty reliably be fried on hills if you try. So I guess the low price for this 2400Wh 84V Monster reflects that. (The new 84V Monsters now have the much, much, much better board that is also in the MSX/100V Monster, but I guess this wheel isn't that new.)

Others (Marty) will probably disagree about how bad it is and that I'm worrying about nothing, but I'm over this old board. My personal opinion.

Sorry if may have spoiled this great offer for you (because the price is really good for what you get!). But it's just something that I personally would care about. On the other hand, there are so many happy Monster owners and I never had one, so maybe better listen to them instead of me.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
Link to post
Share on other sites

@meepmeepmayerI live in Middle Tennessee. Big, steep hills are a factor here for sure and the use of this wheel would be on rough pavement & off road paths often, so the comment Marty made about the pedal hanger attachments giving lots of trouble really concerns me as well. Thanks for this info.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Girth Brooks

For the 100V Monster:

Range is something like 90km-100km (58-62 miles). So definitely a solid 90km/60mile wheel. More or less depending on how the stars align.

No Gotway dance.

Now, about this 84V Monster. Personally, what I really dislike about it, it has the old ACM/msuper V3 style board which just isn't very strong and can pretty reliably be fried on hills if you try. So I guess the low price for this 2400Wh 84V Monster reflects that. (The new 84V Monsters now have the much, much, much better board that is also in the MSX/100V Monster, but I guess this wheel isn't that new.)

Others (Marty) will probably disagree about how bad it is and that I'm worrying about nothing, but I'm over this old board. My personal opinion.

Sorry if may have spoiled this great offer for you (because the price is really good for what you get!). But it's just something that I personally would care about. On the other hand, there are so many happy Monster owners and I never had one, so maybe better listen to them instead of me.

I have this Monster (2-year old version). I've ridden it on lots of hills/trails and haven't burned up anything. So yeah, I disagree that it's horrible.

Regarding the range, my 2400wh Monster can get me ~65-miles, riding it like I don't have a care in the world - not babying it. There's no way the 100-volt Monster would get near this. I would think it's closer to a hard-riding 45-mile wheel.

1 hour ago, Girth Brooks said:

@meepmeepmayerI live in Middle Tennessee. Big, steep hills are a factor here for sure and the use of this wheel would be on rough pavement & off road paths often, so the comment Marty made about the pedal hanger attachments giving lots of trouble really concerns me as well. Thanks for this info.

Any version of the Monster is potentially going to give you loose axle nuts. Could be 500-miles or 2000-miles. Really depends on how it's ridden. I still think it's a great wheel to have.

When I buy another one (like @houseofjob, I'm waiting for Version 2, maybe this year?) I most likely won't ride it like I did the original. It'll be my cruiser wheel, not a wheel for the mountains or rough trails. Of course if Gotway changes the axle design then I may change my riding tactics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Regarding the range, my 2400wh Monster can get me ~65-miles, riding it like I don't have a care in the world - not babying it. There's no way the 100-volt Monster would get near this. I would think it's closer to a hard-riding 45-mile wheel.

Wow, I'm surprised. 1600Wh are solid 80km/50mile wheels, so 1860Wh should be more. But apparently the higher speed eats it all away. Crazy!

What would you estimate your typical range with a 100V Monster would be?

Essentially like the MSX because the extra battery is eaten by the speed? I'm getting 85km/52miles if I take your 65mile number for the 2400Wh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't have any notable experience with the 100-volt wheels so it would be pure conjecture. As I said above, I would guess it's a 45-mile wheel when riding like a Monster should be ridden.

FWIW, @Tishawn Fahie has told me that while he's clocked his 100V Monster in the ~44 mph range, anything above 40mph starts to feel sketch, cruise is more like mid-30 mph range.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Marty Backe @houseofjob comfortable cruising speed is another factor I am looking for in this purchase as well that I didn't mention yet. Can the 84V model easily cruise at 30-35mph like the 100V? My Z10 seems sketchy past 25mph. One the appeals to my wanting a 22" wheel is to cruise fast for longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Marty Backe @houseofjob comfortable cruising speed is another factor I am looking for in this purchase as well that I didn't mention yet. Can the 84V model easily cruise at 30-35mph like the 100V? My Z10 seems sketchy past 25mph. One the appeals to my wanting a 22" wheel is to cruise fast for longer.

I've never (and never will) ridden a wheel that fast. But I can say that the most comfortable cruising wheel available is the Monster. For me, it feels very comfortable and non-stressful at 25-mph.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Marty Backe @houseofjob comfortable cruising speed is another factor I am looking for in this purchase as well that I didn't mention yet. Can the 84V model easily cruise at 30-35mph like the 100V? My Z10 seems sketchy past 25mph. One the appeals to my wanting a 22" wheel is to cruise fast for longer.

Depends on the rider I guess, but for me, the answer is yes, around 33-34-ish, when totally familiar and aquatinted with the wheel.

I don't believe I've ever hit the 80% power beep ever on my former 84v Monster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Marty Backe your Monster speed run video gives the effect that you're going faster than 25mph... LOL

I have ridden faster than 25 on Monster, but for short periods. I just don't want to deal with the consequences of a potential at those speeds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never ever managed a range test, simply because I found it way too hard not exceed 30mph. If you rode at 13mph, a range of 55 miles or more would be possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ED209 said:

I never ever managed a range test, simply because I found it way too hard not exceed 30mph. If you rode at 13mph, a range of 55 miles or more would be possible. 

This makes me want a Monster even more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If/ when new monster comes out, I might sell MSX, keep mcm5 and get new/ redesigned Monster. For short period I had old model it could just maybe one of the best wheels over all. If you can wait, wait..... if not, either msx or older moster would be just fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...