Why did you choose EUC instead of other type of electric vehicle

Hsiang

Just made this decision..

+More portable form factor than a skateboard for the ferry or office.
+Can take it on a bus which you cant do with a bike in my city. 
+Cant beat the range. 
+Faster than most ebikes.
+Larger wheel handles obstacles like a champ (skateboarding killed a few pairs of suit pants by hitting acorn-sized things). 
+Looks fun as fuck and way cooler than a scooter (scaredy-cat skateboard). 
+Handsfree like a boss.
+Speed.
+Can handle hills, NZ is hilly bro.
+Yeah, i can ride a Unicycle factor (disclaimer. i cant yet ride a unicycle)

Think that covered it. Ohhhh, one more.

+Cheaper than driving.

• Upvote 1

Compactness

Portability

Last mile solution or full point A to B commuter

Take it with you almost everywhere, so no worries about theft

At home on crowed sidewalks and bike trails,  yet can hold its own or surpass alternatives in bikes lanes of with car traffic

No maintenance items like chains, gears, brakes, cables

Cheaper than alternatives with the same or greater power, speed and range

Negatives: No local brick-n-mortar dealer support, Not airline friendly

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

My background:

I have the following right now:

1.  Onewheel XR

2.  Evolve Bamboo GTX with all terrain wheels (electric skateboard)

3.  Meepo 30" electric skateboard with the extended tesla battery

4.  Urb-E GT

5.  Speedway Mini4 Pro (electric scooter)

6.  E.G.T. Darknight Twin Power (dual motor) (electric scooter)

…… and the following EUCs -------->>>>>  Inmotion Glide 3, Ninebot Z10, and the Gotway mten3

How did you like the mini 4pro? That was what I though I was going to get, and a friend who has to park a few miles away was wanting to upgrade from his Glion so i told him to check that one out. 

I chose the EUC kind of by chance.  Was watching videos on the mini4 pro and came across EUC videos in the recommend feed. I had not seen once since the original solowheel that went 10mph or so. 

I think in was midway though a chooch video watching a kid half my age fly though Denver cutting across grass, riding slow on the sidewalk around people, passing slow cars on the street and going off road. Kinda had a mid life moment of "I can do that?" Hit me square in the eyes. Very very happy for all the reasons listed above, especially trolly'n though stores for quick shopping trips. No one has said anything about it at all amd if I need to get a few things I just toss it in the shopping cart. 

I've put more miles on the EUC than my car since o got the hang of it. Only "problem" now is wanting more wheels haha

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Flying W said:

How did you like the mini 4pro? That was what I though I was going to get, and a friend who has to park a few miles away was wanting to upgrade from his Glion so i told him to check that one out. 

I chose the EUC kind of by chance.  Was watching videos on the mini4 pro and came across EUC videos in the recommend feed. I had not seen once since the original solowheel that went 10mph or so. 

I do like the Speedway Mini4 Pro.  It is light enough for good distant riding although it is not as powerful and comfortable as my EGT Darknight Twin Power scooter.

I also got to know the EUC by chance.  I was looking at youtube videos on how to ride the Onewheel XR and came across the Inmotion Glide 3.  It is history from there.

Oh, and yeah....I am going through midlife crisis also.  I am 50 y.o. and wanting to do things like someone half my age.

Edited by SanDiegoGuy

There is way too many awesome rideables out right now.....I want a one wheel too. Next for me though is going to an EUC with a 1600wh battery. 

It's about 28 miles round trip to the beach amd not flat either. Of love to be able to get there and back with battery to spare. I can do it on the 16s but I bring a fast charger and top off while eating. 

• Like 1

Actually, it was all about finding a way to commute to work, without having to juggle our cars around.

My Lotus lives in the single garage, my wife's Scion (eventually to be replaced with a Volvo XC40 when we finally get it - 6 month on order and counting) sits in the driveway in front of the garage. There's rarely available parking on our street. There's no way I'd leave my car outside, so most mornings I'd have to back her car out, get mine out of the garage, put hers back in the driveway, and finally drive mine to work.

My work is up a hill. It's only 3.5 miles away, but the climb is about 500 feet. The week before I started working there I tried riding my mountain bike to the office. I made it, but not in a condition that was conducive to working the rest of the morning.

Last year I bought an e-bike, that has a 250W motor assist. It's very good, and has the benefit that I still get a good work out, but the negative that I need to change and shower at work once I arrive. That effectively adds 15 mins to my commute. I haven't used it since returning to work in May from three months of paternity leave.

I started wondering if an e-scooter would be a good vehicle to use on occasion. A quick bit of research made me realize that the cheap ones wouldn't cope with the hills. That took me to considering a Dualtron. A Google search took me to eWheels.com and I pretty much decided that a Dualtron II EX was the ride for me. I was close to clicking on the buy button, when I noticed that eWheels' main stock in trade was EUCs, and that got me wondering.

I'd paid a bit of attention to the first Solowheel videos back in 2011, and thought they looked like a lot of fun. One of my major concerns with an e-scooter is all the pot holes in the roads around here. The benefits of a larger wheel made a lot of sense to me, and I suppose that was the rationalization I used to justify buying an EUC instead, but really it was far more of an emotional choice. An EUC seemed fun and exotic.

To be honest, I also wanted to prove to myself that at 50 I could learn a new muscle memory-related skill. I wanted to prove the little voice in my head that was telling me that I couldn't learn to do it wrong.

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Like 3

I discovered EUCs by accident while looking up info on scooters.  I bought a Gotrax GXL scooter after riding Birds and loved how quickly you could cover lots of miles effortlessly.  Then I stumbled upon EUCs and thought wow, they look like even more fun to ride.  Because I had previous experience riding a unicycle, I figured I could learn fast, so I bought an Inmotion V8 and it's been the most rewarding purchase I've made in a very long time.  I ride everyday and find excuses to go places just to ride.  Addicting.

Pros:

-Extremely compact compared to bikes, scooters, etc...  I take mine with me every day in the trunk of my car just in case I want to go ride and explore.
-Great Versatility.  Ride slow and controlled on sidewalks to blend with pedestrians and fast on streets when needed.  On road, off road, etc... Trolley effortlessly through stores.
-More fun than any other type of ride I know of.  
-Excellent Range. Even my V8 can do about 20 miles give or take at my weight of 215

Cons:

-Can probably get hurt pretty bad due to high speed capability
-All are made in China and in there is fear of reliability causing cut-outs, fire or other malfunctions. 
-Even after getting used to it and riding 100+ miles, feet get numb/sore eventually. 
-No real exercise even though you feel like you were doing a lot of riding all day
-Not great for wet conditions, cold weather (battery), snow & ice.  Wish I lived somewhere warmer to ride all year around.

I think one does get exercise from riding a EUC. I always work up a sweat in warm weather. The problem is the exercise is isometric and gives no cardio reward. In the warm weather one could lose weight just riding a EUC (if for long periods), but alas, still run out of breath climbing a flight of stairs. My knees particularly, however, are getting stronger. I walk or use a kick scooter for cardio exercise. The EUC is a pure transport/fun vehicle for me.

Edited by Jerome
  • Like 1

I been riding in a classic unicycle years ago and always dream about a electric one. The handicap in the handling give the extra difficulty I need to enjoy again the old bike trails around my town.

Beside that, the euc makes a great choice for many occasions because his portable size and weight, added to the reasonable price/specs relation

When I began looking into a fun source of transportation, I started looking at fire...er, hoverboards (in 2015/6). I already decided to buy until I was introduced to a dealer who also happened to sell EUC's. He explained them to me and let me try one. I was initially intimidated until he let me try a two-wheel version ( an InMotion V3S ), and even let me take it home for two weeks! During this "trial" period (even in snow) I got familiar enough with it to know that it was indeed the beter choice. After buying the wheel, mynwife took an interest in this "thing", and a few months later I bought her one also. My collection has now grown to include a KS16B and more recently a RW GT16 v2.  

The value of EUC's are inherent in many ways, and I'm proud to be among the ambassadors of this unique vehicle.

• Like 1

If we are talking about motorized transportation, then there's nothing simpler than the wheel. For all appearances, our wheels are merely a tire wrapped minimalistically within a casing of plastic, and that gives it a unique form-factor of being the simplest of all practical transportation devices.

However, that doesn't mean wheels beat out other electrics. While wheels aren't hard to learn or teach, they are quite dangerous as transportation vehicles, and it's exactly for that reason that I bought an electric cargo bicycle for the longer trips.

Because I've had a fair number of stupid crashes, I ride my wheels in a very practical manner, almost entirely for transportation. When I do ride for fun I usually take my Segway S1 and play around with tricks.

I do think that within a few years to perhaps a decade, wheel technology and production will advance to the point where wheels become extremely safe; never quite up there with bicycles but close.

What we're seeing is stuffing huge batteries and motors at a price point that's almost affordable, and so since the wheels aren't being stressed out we see far less crashes for the "25 mph and under" crowd.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 11:09 PM, SanDiegoGuy said:

My background:

I have the following right now:

1.  Onewheel XR

2.  Evolve Bamboo GTX with all terrain wheels (electric skateboard)

3.  Meepo 30" electric skateboard with the extended tesla battery

4.  Urb-E GT

5.  Speedway Mini4 Pro (electric scooter)

6.  E.G.T. Darknight Twin Power (dual motor) (electric scooter)

…… and the following EUCs -------->>>>>  Inmotion Glide 3, Ninebot Z10, and the Gotway mten3

Well, for the last few weeks, I have not even touch items from 1-6 and only use my Glide 3.  I have so much fun learning how to ride the EUC with the Glide 3.  I am addicted to EUC now.  It is fun, challenging, portable, fairly fast, and look cool riding it.  I have not touch the Z10 or the mten 3 yet because I want to save them and will start riding them when II get much better at riding the Glide 3, my learning wheel.

I am super curious about your experience with Onewheel and the Evolve Bamboo GTX. Both have a large and dedicated following but I have yet to meet any one whom have experience with these as well as an electric unicycle. Can you talk more about your experience with these 3 very different type of EV?

Just about anyone can be bitten by the EUC bug. I saw an ad for the Segway miniLITE which somehow lead me to discovering the electric unicycle. After much research and many videos I thought "I have to get one of those! It would be so much fun to ride!"

Being over 70 I did have some reservations, but eventually rationalized through all of them and am now learning how to ride my new KS14s!

I was right. This reminds me of my downhill skiing days. It's like flying without having to leave the ground...

An electric skateboard or scooter never caught my interest.

By the way, thanks to all of you here on this forum who have helped me so much learning all about this subject!

• Like 1

EUCs are fun but they are also practical vehicles.   Many other electric vehicles are toys.   I don't see anyone commuting on a onewheel/hovershoes/hoverboards.  I do see some electric skateboards being used for commuting but they are less practical without being more fun or less expensive.   Scooters are cheap and practical but less so, and also less fun.    I love scooters; especially as they were my 'gateway drug' for EUCs.

No small electric vehicle matches the fun, power, range, cost, and practicality of an EUC.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I own a Boosted Boards Dual+ XR in addition to my KingSong 18L.

I enjoy riding the Boosted board, but even the XR version does not have enough range to go where I want to go (I only get about 8.5 miles per charge because I tend to just go flat out in the fastest mode).   Then there is also the whole rough terrain problem.  I may still pick up a Kaly or a LaCroix at some point (or build my own DIY), as the electric skateboard concept is quite fun, IMO, as long as I can get the range and speed that I want.

However, I haven't even touched the Boosted board since I picked up my first EUC.  The EUC does exactly what I wanted, which is to go as fast as the board, but much farther and handles rough terrain.  It also doesn't make such a racket (though that's not always a plus...  on the Boosted board, people hear me coming from a long way off and get out of the way.)

I do plan to use the EUC to commute at some point (won't be for a while now, as the weather here is crap for the next 6 months at least) as it doesn't have the disadvantages that bicycles have (have to lock up outside, work up a sweat when riding, get grease stains on your pant leg from the chain, or worse, get your pant leg stuck in the chain, plus the wrist and butt pain that you get from a proper road bike). 

Scooters were considered briefly, but for a good one, the price is much higher than it is for an EUC, and honestly, I've never been a scooter rider.  I went from skateboards and rollerskates to inlines and bicycles.

Intrigued by the OneWheel.  Haven't ridden one, but still might buy one, but I really want more range than they offer right now.  I think I'd be tempted to DIY one out of an EUC by building a frame that attaches to the pedals like I've seen others do.

Because unicycle lol. I bought three Segway mini pros this summer and was looking for a mod to make it faster and kept stumbling across this forum. I kept seeing the word euc and I’m like “what is that?” when I found out I started going crazy researching.  Thanks to Marty, eucguy, chooch, and countless others I bit the bullet and bought one. (After hours and hours of video and reading for a week) I bought my first unicycle three weeks ago. Msuper x and it is one of the best things I ever spent money on. I have explored so many places and seen so much. Got a buddy hooked he just ordered a z10. Since sept 7th I put 750 miles on this thing. Can ride on one leg jump up and down stairs. Ride backwards. This thing is a blast. Spent $2k and it was worth every penny and will do it again a few more times. I have room for many unicycles lol!! I’m gettin the whole family on them. Segways are collecting a lil bit of dust. I catch myself going to get a soda across town lol or drive to other cities to explore. Only thing I need now is riding partners and a camera. Funny spent $2k on a wheel like nothing but cringe at camera prices. 

On 10/1/2018 at 11:38 AM, Jerome said:

Take it with you almost everywhere, so no worries about theft

This one, also because its 1) heavy 2) almost noone knows how to ride it.

So I can literally just leave it in front of a shop and come back and know it will remain in the same spot :D

• Like 1

In no particular order

• simplicity
  • uniqueness
  • ability to take it into most places and not having to lock it up outside.
  • relative small footprint and greater portability
  • a bigger feeling of freedom. Doesn't feel like your tied down to something. On smooth pavement, it almost feels like you're flying sometimes.
  • For smaller wheels, the increased nimbleness and ability to zip around and change direction, when compared to boosted boards and scooters.
  • ability to go offroad if you need to

The biggest cons ive encountered so far:

• my feet gets tired very quick in the arch area compared to any other etransport ive tried (i have low arches)
  • riding slow at walking speeds behind pedestrians is excruciating and i hate having to step off when there are things in the way. It becomes a bit of a chore when this happens too often.
  • lots of wind resistance
Edited by mkygod

18 hours ago, Hsiang said:

I am super curious about your experience with Onewheel and the Evolve Bamboo GTX. Both have a large and dedicated following but I have yet to meet any one whom have experience with these as well as an electric unicycle. Can you talk more about your experience with these 3 very different type of EV?

Actually, my Oneweheel XR and my Evolve Bamboo GTX all terrain wheels are pretty fun devices.  I bought the Bamboo GTX before the Onewheel XR and it was a blast to ride.  I mostly ride in Eco mode which is fast enough for me.  Sometimes I would change to Fast mode but not to GT mode which is too fast for me.  I have fun carving on the GTX and it handles pretty well off road.  The battery lasts a long time too.  Then I bought the Onewheel XR next after I saw a person riding on the street one day.  I had to get the XR version because of the extended range.  The Onewheel is NOT as fast nor has better range than the GTX but it can go backward which the GTX cannot do and it has better turning radius.  Also, it does not need a remote to be held in the hand which is a big plus.  Both the GTX and the Onewheel are easy to learn.  I have not ridden a skate board for more than 30 years but was able to pick up riding the GTX within a few minutes and the Onewheel look a bit longer but it just click after riding for a few hours.  They are both like snowboarding on the street.

I also snow ski.  So when I switched over to learning the EUC, it felt like skiing on the street.  Learning to snow ski is much easier for me than learning snow boarding.....but learning how to ride the EUC is much harder than learning on the Onewheel.  It was just the opposite learning experience.  

The EUC is the best out of the 3 at maneuverability.  It is a challenge to learn but that is where the fun is.  Also, out of the 3,  it is the coolest looking device.......and it is the one device that not many people would know now to ride.  I would let my friends try and test the Evolve Bamboo GTX or the Onewheel XR but I would not let them try it on my EUC.....for fear of damage to my EUC and/or hospital bill LOL.

7 hours ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Also, it does not need a remote to be held in the hand which is a big plus.  

I actually think this is a huge plus for me also. It feels natural to have both hands free and be able to still hold things and so on. It also feels more natural to control the scooter with your feel and weight rather than relying on a remote control switch.