Has the new generation wheels changed your riding style?

Jerome

My riding weight has been between 235-240 lbs. I purchased  9B1E+ for local trips and for use with public transit.  It handled my weight well and I never had any problems including using the "flimsy" trolley. I "thought" I had no need for hi -speed, but wanted a little more speed and range so I could commute to work without using Public transit. I looked at the INmotion Glide 3 (V8), but Jason thought it would only be a marginal upgrade for my size. 

I watched the various, umh, "discussions"  on the forum regarding speed, big batteries, range, etc. I watched with amazement (but with what I thought was with no interest to me) the videos of riders going 20, 25, 30+ mph. I thought I would be perfectly happy with a non-tilt-back 16 mph. Perhaps I would dare to go 18 mph on occasion. If I had not gotten an 18 inch wheel maybe  that reality would have come true. However, I purchased a KS18L and discovered what all the talk about smooth, stable riding was about. The horrible streets and sidewalks which struck fear in me on the E+ suddenly became annoying bumps at best.

I found myself rushing to get the miles in to unlock the 50 kmh speed. What had happened to me? This was insane. No one should go over 16-18 mph on these machines. I have set my one alarm to 40 kmh and tilt-back at 45 mph .. but why would i have them so high? What are the new wheels doing to us? My rational mind knows the danger of a cut-off at those speeds! 

I was following some bikers today (while doing a 30 mile ride) and was cruising at 24 mph thinking I was at best doing 20 mph (no alarm until 25 mph). I need a watch or wrist mountable gps to track my speed.!

We may argu .. discuss the pros and cons of our chosen new generation wheels, but one thing they all have in common - "They all float .. ". "Danger Will Robinson".

14 hours ago, EUC GUY said:

It doesnt help the case that i feel so alive and free when flying down the streets at night. Hands down, one of the best feelings.

This is my new favorite thing before going to bed.

I discovered that wearing a hoodie drastically reduces all wind noise which makes for a slightly different experience.  You also look like Bruce Willis on patrol in Unbreakable.

unbreakable-bruce-willis-slice-600x200.p

JYou just need to try to experience the wheel at all speeds, after a ehile you will get a sort of “internal speedometer” i can guess what speed im going by about 4 kph accuracy without looking at smy speedometer, its because im used to how it feels at any speed, learn to know you wheel to every extend, notice the dlight motor sound, feel the wind, and look around, in the start my crusing speed was always about 40-45 kph, then it went down to 35 after s month, now its at 30 average or 35 if im a little in a hurry, youre not the only one, i even made a thread sbout “how to enjoy riding slow speeds, under 40kph” :O 

but dont worry, it will go away, get used to the wheel, and notice the speed instead of just letting yourself go to top speed, i do still enjoy going fast for a few times, but in the start its like a rush, the faster you go, the better it feels, but after a while it will go away, and its in this time period when youre still new you can end up falling at high speed, even though you feel as though toure in control, more accidents can happen at speed than at low speed

11 hours ago, Shad0z said:

JYou just need to try to experience the wheel at all speeds, after a ehile you will get a sort of “internal speedometer” i can guess what speed im going by about 4 kph accuracy without looking at smy speedometer, its because im used to how it feels at any speed, learn to know you wheel to every extend, notice the dlight motor sound, feel the wind, and look around, in the start my crusing speed was always about 40-45 kph, then it went down to 35 after s month, now its at 30 average or 35 if im a little in a hurry, youre not the only one, i even made a thread sbout “how to enjoy riding slow speeds, under 40kph” :O 

but dont worry, it will go away, get used to the wheel, and notice the speed instead of just letting yourself go to top speed, i do still enjoy going fast for a few times, but in the start its like a rush, the faster you go, the better it feels, but after a while it will go away, and its in this time period when youre still new you can end up falling at high speed, even though you feel as though toure in control, more accidents can happen at speed than at low speed

Good advice! It's nice to have the speed when you need it, but since I am a commuter I will live a lot longer cruising at 30-35 kmh rather 40 kmh or higher. :cheers:

21 hours ago, Jess Sightler said:

I'm confused. Isn't the V8 a vastly more powerful wheel than the Ninebot? Is it really only a marginal upgrade from an E+?

Maybe when it came out (pretty sure that's over 2 years ago), it was "vastly" more powerful. Basically it succeeded the E+ as the new top model. But that was long ago, and nowadays, it's a slow-ish entry wheel with a good price and low weight, and that's about it. Imho there are better ways to spend your money on a wheel than a V8/Glide3, especially if you already have an E+, you'd be going from outdated to adequate but nothing much more. Better get a more substantial, current wheel if you can.

27 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe when it came out (pretty sure that's over 2 years ago), it was "vastly" more powerful. Basically it succeeded the E+ as the new top model. But that was long ago, and nowadays, it's a slow-ish entry wheel with a good price and low weight, and that's about it. Imho there are better ways to spend your money on a wheel than a V8/Glide3, especially if you already have an E+, you'd be going from outdated to adequate but nothing much more. Better get a more substantial, current wheel if you can.

Thanks, I'm a newb just looking into getting a first wheel, so this is all new to me. I was under the impression that the E+ would be a poor choice for the 100kg/220lb weight range (me) and that something like a Glide3/V8 would be much better. Obviously it is surpassed by wheels that cost hundreds more, but, you know, they cost hundreds more. :)

I have also thought about the mcm3, though outdated, it is ~500 now and seems to have a powerful motor for the price.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. Let me know all of the ways that they are wrong. :)

The main reason I spent much more than I had originally wanted to on a EUC was because I'm a big guy too (usually 210-220, give or take a few either way) and have steep hills to climb.  I figured even if I didn't strictly need the power, it would reduce the chance of the machine just giving up on me because of my weight + obstacle and sending me into a faceplant.  All the more dangerous if the transition from flat to steep is a quick one ... which is indeed the case on the hill right outside my driveway, and the next one down, too.

So ... do you have any of these concerns?  If so, how much is your health worth?  

I figured that even if I became very conscious of not making quick transitions, monitoring everything possible, etc. ... that sooner or later habit or distraction would lull me into a lack of concentration and then BOOM! who knows what serious stuff could happen.  

On 8/26/2018 at 8:45 PM, GamingBarbecue256 said:

I'm confused. Isn't the V8 a vastly more powerful wheel than the Ninebot? Is it really only a marginal upgrade from an E+?

I think the V8 has an 800watt motor and 420wh battery with a top speed of about 19 mph against the E+ 500watt motor, 320wh battery, and about 15mph top speed.  So maybe not vastly more powerful, but quite a bit more powerful.  Plus it has a built in trolley handle and head and brake light, which the E+ doesn't have.  

I weigh 210 and the E+ has no problem carrying me on level ground and moderate slopes.  I would imagine the V8 would be an excellent starter wheel.

3 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I think the V8 has an 800watt motor and 420wh battery with a top speed of about 19 mph against the E+ 500watt motor, 320wh battery, and about 15mph top speed.  So maybe not vastly more powerful, but quite a bit more powerful.  Plus it has a built in trolley handle and head and brake light, which the E+ doesn't have.  

I weigh 210 and the E+ has no problem carrying me on level ground and moderate slopes.  I would imagine the V8 would be an excellent starter wheel.

Oh, I see. I was under the impression that the E+ was slower than that, but this explains why it only seemed like a marginal upgrade for him. I guess if you have mostly level terrain, a 3mph bump isn't much.

16 hours ago, GamingBarbecue256 said:

Thanks, I'm a newb just looking into getting a first wheel, so this is all new to me. I was under the impression that the E+ would be a poor choice for the 100kg/220lb weight range (me) and that something like a Glide3/V8 would be much better. Obviously it is surpassed by wheels that cost hundreds more, but, you know, they cost hundreds more. :)

I have also thought about the mcm3, though outdated, it is ~500 now and seems to have a powerful motor for the price.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. Let me know all of the ways that they are wrong. :)

At 100kg, from today's (my:efee47c9c8:) view, both the E+ and V8 are too weak (unless you go so slow it won't be fun). Heavier riders used these when nothing better was available, but nowadays, you will want to go faster and safer (if possible). I'd say 1000W nominal motor at least. You do not want a wheel to give up under you in an emergency braking situation, for example. Battery size also matters, bigger batteries are safer because they can push out higher currents (and therefore power) when needed. Actually even more important than motor power. The Kingsong KS16S would be a vastly (really:efee47c9c8:) better alternative to the V8, and you can go upwards from there, the sky's the limit:efee8319ab:

Of course it's always also a question of what you can and want to afford. Before you have no wheel, any wheel is better. MCM3, V8, even the E+. Otherwise, it's better to invest some more and get a current state-of-the-art wheel, with more speed and a much better safety margin to enjoy. It can make the difference between nice but lacking toy and seriously useful tool. Due to how the market works - a wheel needs all the fixed-cost necessary parts and a profit margin for the manufacturer, no matter how big the (costly) battery is - the top end is also the most price efficient.

So unless your intended use case is happily but slowly meandering around, I really think an upgrade from the V8 (E+ is out of the question tbh) to a 16S (for example) is worth it. Essentially twice as safe (peak power) due to the bigger battery's construction, more oomph = more fun, better range, and plenty fast enough instead of being frustrated at 25km/h (16mph). If the 16S is too much, also consider a Kingsong KS14S as a V8 alternative (same motor power, but also a "twice as safe" battery, and probably more fun due to the smaller tire diameter giving more torque).

Maybe this helps:efeebb3acc::

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Of course it's always also a question of what you can and want to afford. Before you have no wheel, any wheel is better. MCM3, V8, even the E+. Otherwise, it's better to invest some more and get a current state-of-the-art wheel, with more speed and a much better safety margin to enjoy.

I ordered a Z10, but then thought I needed another cheaper wheel to practice on and help me learn while I wait possibly 6 months for my Z10 to turn up (if it ever does). Learning to ride is hard and I dropped my V8 many times while learning; I hope when my Z10 eventually arrives I will be a much better rider and so will not scratch it all up because of being a newb. It is also nice having a lighter backup wheel for errands and shorter trips. If you can only have one wheel, then get the one you want and wrap it in bumper foam from ebay to stop it getting chipped and scratched (or broken) during the lengthy learning phase. I am still riding my V8 now and still find it difficult in crosswinds and bumpy roads, though I seldom fall off now.

As a heavier rider, I have always been more keen to "push with my toes" instead of leaning to accelerate. But riding the newer wheels (ie. KS-18L) with more power available, I am happier to lean into it and maximise the ride! 

I guess knowing the wheel has more than enough power and trusting in that makes a difference...

Archived