My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

8 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

I wonder what green fashion gonna sell them at... I purchased my mcm 3 w. 340wh. for 499.,  and now  it’s more than double, but it’s a hella of a machine, 

If you are at all interested in the MCM3, TecToys still sells the 680wh high speed version for $650, which is a good deal. Obviously not the same wheel as the MCM5 but the same battery size or bigger, and much cheaper. 

https://tec-toyz.com/products/gotway-mcm3-high-speed-version

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

I wonder what green fashion gonna sell them at... I purchased my mcm 3 w. 340wh. for 499.,  and now  it’s more than double, but it’s a hella of a machine, 

Yeah, unfortunately all the wheels are getting more expensive :( I think there's a pretty big jump in performance and features between the MCM3 and MCM5. Plus we know that batteries are a big component of the cost and the 650wh version is almost twice the capacity of your model.

I took my MSuper in a crowded park event the other day and missed my smaller wheel instantly, to be able to turn and twist between people, mcm3 would have been amazing at that and mcm5 even better. I do think mcm5 is capable of so so much more.....

Edited by yourtoys7
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

If you are at all interested in the MCM3, TecToys still sells the 680wh high speed version for $650, which is a good deal. Obviously not the same wheel as the MCM5 but the same battery size or bigger, and much cheaper. 

https://tec-toyz.com/products/gotway-mcm3-high-speed-version

649. considering the age of the wheel and technology, is way over priced. Maybe 499. I would not pay more...

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Light Show

Like the Tesla, the MCM5 has different ring light modes which can be activated by cycling through the power button. I've heard rumors that the upcoming MSuper X allows the lights to be configured by the app. So maybe there's a version of the Gotway app that can configure the MCM5 lights?

• Only show the battery level (via 8 of the front LEDs)
  • Battery level plus animated LEDs
  • Only animated LEDs (no battery indication)
  • Only animated LEDs, but the color is all red

Unlike my version of the Tesla, the MCM5 remembers your last setting when you turn off the wheel

There is no brake light. Hmmm, odd choice.

The animation speed is fixed. I.e., the light rotation speed does not change based on the wheel speed. I prefer that they change as your speed changes.

The ring light isn't highly visible from the side.

Here's a video that gives you a flavor of the light show

No LED lights on the side vents? 

Looking nice, the egg with the vents:efee8319ab:

Where is the board, on top? If yes, what are the vents good for other than looks? If not, does it have an imbalance in neutral due to uneven weight distribution (like the Monster)?

How would you compare it to your other 14 incher, the 14S?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

I took my MSuper in a crowded park event the other day and missed my smaller wheel instantly, to be able to turn and twist between people, mcm3 would have been amazing at that and mcm5 even better. I do think mcm5 is capable of so so much more.....

We need Mten4. Come on Gotway! 

• Like 1

I'm having a blast riding this wheel now that I've really tuned into its riding characteristics. Super fun to weave in and about everything in your track.

IMG_20180603_180445086_HDR

• Like 3

1 hour ago, koto said:

If you really need to touch the shell with your legs, or if you are in trouble with foot painfullness when you cannot touch the shell with your legs (like me), you cannot stay on the MCM5 more than a few minutes. That was my experience. It could be a good idea to put something like ACM pads on this machine for someone like me but I've never tested this config.

When I ride it the first time, I feel like I was riding a Tesla. The 1500Wh 84V motor is very powerfull. It would prefer this to be heavier and with added pads. As @Marty Backe  said, it is not for beginners. @Marty Backe, if I'm not wrong you didn't say for what reasons. I think the problem is that the rider needs more control and more stability with the MCM5 1500W 84V power. That's why I think more weight and added pads would be welcome.

Since the shell has no pads and it tapers to the top, there is almost no leg support on this wheel. Therefore it would be very difficult to control by newer riders.

But if you are an experienced rider than you should adapt quickly to the MCM5. The payoff is worth it - extreme agility along the lines of the Mten3 but much more stable when riding fast.

You can buy pads that Gotway actually makes for this wheel, but in my opinion if you add pads then you are eliminating one of the advantages of the wheel. My opinion of course.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Since the shell has no pads and it tapers to the top, there is almost no leg support on this wheel. Therefore it would be very difficult to control by newer riders

How is the mounting? Can you do kick-off 1 legged start? Or just hop on mount?

Edited by Kens
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kens said:

How is the mounting? Can you do kick-off 1 legged start? Or just hop on mount?

Mounting is very easy (for me) - rolling 1 legged starts. Back in the day I made a point of practicing all my mounts so that I'd never have to hop on a wheel again :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Marty Backe how does mcm5 compare to Testla ? price wise they are $1175./ $1450., would tesla make more sense?

I know you'are asking a question to @Marty Backe but I can get you my opinion. Yes, Tesla is more powerfull, more stable, more comfortable, more visible with its LEDs. For me Tesla is much more reassuring.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Marty Backe how does mcm5 compare to Testla ? price wise they are $1175./ $1450., would tesla make more sense?

They are very different wheels. The MCM5 is obviously smaller and lighter, so it feels more perky, but it doesn't have the stability of the Tesla and the ultimate speed of the Tesla. And the Tesla is a much longer range wheel. But the MCM5 is much more agile than the Tesla.

If I only have one wheel (which is the only way I can answer these kind of questions) then I'm buying the Tesla.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Have you tried any rough terrain on the MCM5 yet? I'm legitimately curious to know whether you simply need side pads for that kind of riding. I'm very no-contact with the pads on my MTen3 these days, and having mastered this it hasn't seemed to hold me back on the grass and tamer dirt around my house.