THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

19 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

I was able to squeeze in an hour at the skatepark while it was dry the other night. IMO Light isn't just hard to find in the dismal weather of Portland, but often just hard to find in daily life, no matter the weather or where on Earth you are. So most of the time for me, creativity, be it musical or physical is the thin line between insanity and a smile. :blink: Thank God for my wheel! 

BTW Im wearing a helmut everybody. Guh. :ph34r:

Some great stuff here @Sidestreet Reny. Love that 'flip reversal' @ 2:10 followed by jumping off that high ledge IN REVERSE :shock2:

So, did you have to build up any courage to do that 'river' jump @ 2:40  :cheers:

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Some great stuff here @Sidestreet Reny. Love that 'flip reversal' @ 2:10 followed by jumping off that high ledge IN REVERSE :shock2:

So, did you have to build up any courage to do that 'river' jump @ 2:40  :cheers:

Not as much courage, more curiosity. Hell Yes, that was such an odd jump to do @Marty Backe, as you can see I cleared the whole damn thing...unintentionally. :ph34r: Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fryman said:

Was that a cold ride?

Before arriving at the Independence Greenway the route I usually follow passes within a Jewish cemetery on a service road sometimes used by joggers. One sees 'stones' placed by visitors atop grave markers on the ride thru.

https://www.jcam.org/Pages/Foundation/Education/articles/stones-left-on-monuments.php

Today was a burial day for a new gravesite with dozens of mourners gathered about the site. So...the main road and sidewalk was followed instead.

82850.jpg

I took some finger chilling video....working on it now.... will post it in a bit....maybe later today.

A 13 minute video of a Gotway Monster ride along the start and end of the Independence Greenway rail trail in Peabody, Massachusetts on 2-6-2018. Temperature was in the low 30's F.
An active rock quarry property (see Google Terrain view) is out of view on the left from
5 min 30 sec to 6 min 30 sec
Monster view is at 9 minutes
Maximum speed (at the designated Gotway setting before tilt back) is 14.8 mph according to the Geo Tracker app

Quarry view from Google Terrain:

82809.jpg

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:
A 13 minute video of a Gotway Monster ride along the start and end of the Independence Greenway rail trail in Peabody, Massachusetts on 2-6-2018. Temperature was in the low 30's F.
An active rock quarry property (see Google Terrain view) is out of view on the left from
5:min 30 sec to 6 min 30 sec
Monster view is at 9 minutes
Maximum speed (at the designated Gotway setting before tilt back) is 14.8 mph according to the Geo Tracker app

Quarry view from Google Terrain:

I didn't know that the Monster would still be balance-able at those speeds :cry2: ;)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

balance-able at those speeds

An old 'liaison' ski coach once said about my prep school ski team guys at the seasons start:

' you guys are accidents waiting to happen'

At the end of some inside and outside ski edge training with unbuckled boots he said:

'just trust your feet'

On the Monster I start getting nervous when I'm in tiltback and I lose the feet sensation of the horizontal pedals.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

An old 'liaison' ski coach once said about my prep school ski team guys at the seasons start:

' you guys are accidents waiting to happen'

At the end of some inside and outside ski edge training with unbuckled boots he said:

'just trust your feet'

On the Monster I start getting nervous when I'm in tiltback and I lose the feet sensation of the horizontal pedals.

Just add another 10-kph to your tilt-back setting and your nervousness will disappear :thumbup: 

52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:
58 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I didn't know that the Monster would still be balance-able at those speeds :cry2: ;)

Unlike skiis, the EUC has no 'running edge', rather it feels like a machine platform on a powered wheel with tight radius, and speed constraints . You can tell from my speed max that I'm from the Ninebot speed range (up to about 12 mph) with Monster set to 24 km per hr for this run.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

ACM going through icy puddles.

Fun to watch. You need my ACM knobby tire. Now if my wife could install a adult proof governor on my wheels set to never to exceed those speeds things could be different. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

Your next move Marty.

Nope. I don't want to start another thread where this time I'm in the hospital bed waiting for an operation :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Fun to watch. You need my ACM knobby tire. Now if my wife could install a adult proof governor on my wheels set to never to exceed those speeds things could be different. 

You know, if you really have self-discipline, you could set tilt-back on your wheels to a very conservative speed. But I do wonder if it would be any fun knowing what you know.

The Mten3 on the other hand. I really can't see that being a wheel that you couldn't keep, because it actually is a lot of fun at very slow speeds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The Mten3 on the other hand. I really can't see that being a wheel that you couldn't keep, because it actually is a lot of fun at very slow speeds.

It’s the tricks we have both learned that come with the slow speeds. I’ve fallen doing multiple reverse 360s. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

It’s the tricks we have both learned that come with the slow speeds. I’ve fallen doing multiple reverse 360s. 

Yes, but I really doubt you would sustain severe injuries at those speeds. Shoulder pads, etc. I know it's a long shot, but it's amazing how you will be able to rationalize things six months from now :ph34r:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, but I really doubt you would sustain severe injuries at those speeds. Shoulder pads, etc. I know it's a long shot, but it's amazing how you will be able to rationalize things six months from now :ph34r:

I’m still trying to rationalize what caused the accident. Once I’m de- tethered from the ice machine and the pain subsides I plan to walk the bike path where the accident occurred and see if there are any angulated tree roots buried beneath the pavement that I did not see.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 10:17 PM, Marty Backe said:

Just add another 10-kph to your tilt-back setting

Tilt-back on the Monster, over my current speed max of about 24 kph, is a subtle heel low deflection. I often find myself riding for undetermined distances while my feet are in the tilted-back position. I find that my ability to control the Monster at that speed limit while subtly tilted-back is unaffected.

Obviously slowing down, for whatever reason, immediately transitions the pedals back to level position with a slight rocking forward sensation as the Monster reacquires that self balanced position at any speed lower than the 24 kph max-speed setting.

Sometimes, while riding at about my current max speed setting of 24 kph I routinely transition between the subtle tilted-back position and the locked level position as I push the Monster forward and then back off slightly. This habit of riding at the tilt-back speed and then backing off is probably less safe overall than going sub 24 kph and I usually have the presence of mind to slow it down a little to sub 24 kph.

Numbers in kph are irrelevant ...it's the attitude with which I'm riding at the time....which can be motivated by thrill and excitement rather than security.

Since I set the max speed to contain my riding adventure at or below 24 kph the tilted-back occurrences remind me that I once decided that 24 kph was my limit of choice. 'Nervousness' is more of an awareness reaction where my riding style tells me that I've pushed upon my 'chosen limit' rather than riding comfortably without tilt-back somewhere below 24 kph. My Monster tells me what I'm doing when tilted-back..it's up to me whether I slow down or not at 24 kph in response to Monster's foot queue.

Setting the tilt-back to a higher kph value would raise the bar but probably result in a similar tilted-back scenario as I became comfortable riding at a setting faster than 24 kph.

At this time I have little reason to increase my tilt-back speed much higher than my current choice of 24 kph , although I might set it higher on a limited basis to try faster riding for an even faster thrill.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:20 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

@Marty Backe Here you go.

ACM going through icy puddles.

Thanks! Great sounds, and I love the spin-out at the end of video 2 :laughbounce2:

That actually looks like a potentially very tranquil experience, riding through a frozen forest with the quietness that entails (except for when you're dropping the wheel ;))