Riding skills related to safety

Mono

35 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I'm not very good at mounting as sometimes I'll make a little stagger or twist right when I get on. Mounting is the only skill that I need to devote a few minutes each week, doing like 20 or them. It always feels I'm brute forcing this skill instead of all the other skills which came easily and naturally to me.

Amusingly, I notice I am awkward when grabbing poles to stay upright. This is because I had a big crash when the bottom of the <insert pole like item here> caught my foot pad and dumped me on my back.

Not getting your foot pad caught on something is a tremendously important skill. The half dozen or so times I've caught my foot pad have just knocked the hell out of me.

I've actually never managed to get my pedal stuck on anything, not the ground and not any objects I've passed. But I did have a scare just a week ago, where I heard how it touched, but nothing happened... Well almost nothing: I probably got myself another few years in purgatory for the language I used :D 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I'm not very good at mounting as sometimes I'll make a little stagger or twist right when I get on. Mounting is the only skill that I need to devote a few minutes each week, doing like 20 or them. It always feels I'm brute forcing this skill instead of all the other skills which came easily and naturally to me.

Amusingly, I notice I am awkward when grabbing poles to stay upright. This is because I had a big crash when the bottom of the <insert pole like item here> caught my foot pad and dumped me on my back.

Not getting your foot pad caught on something is a tremendously important skill. The half dozen or so times I've caught my foot pad have just knocked the hell out of me.

Mounting smoothly eluded me for a while; always a bit hit and miss.  If you're not wearing shin pads, which I don't (yet) then the momentary pressure on the inside of your shin bone is no fun.  What I do, is angle the wheel over on its side, so that the force applied by the first mounted foot, passes through an imaginary vertical line with the contact patch of the tire.  No need to get a plumb bob out, anything close, is good enough.  Then as you step up with the other foot (while gently rolling forwards too) as the loose foot rises to step on, so does the loose pedal as your weight shifts to vertical. After a few tries, you will be executing smooth takeoffs, almost like a French circus performer.

Unless your arms are extra short, there's no need to get pedal-close to any launch assist device, pole, wall, etc.  Use your arm length to stand off a safe distance.;)

27 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I've actually never managed to get my pedal stuck on anything, not the ground and not any objects I've passed. But I did have a scare just a week ago, where I heard how it touched, but nothing happened... Well almost nothing: I probably got myself another few years in purgatory for the language I used :D 

The underside of my KS14 pedals look like they have been used as a work surface in a metal shop (scratches and gouges everywhere).  Some of that is from bouncing down the road on its side, but the outer corners are worn away from scraping during cornering.  I do like to carve a nice turn, but catching on something is no fun;  just ask @Marty Backe :P

I thought the minimum sentence in purgatory is..em...eh eternity.  Your goose is cooked, my boy. :cry2: Might as well swear away.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Mounting smoothly eluded me for a while; always a bit hit and miss.  If you're not wearing shin pads, which I don't (yet) then the momentary pressure on the inside of your shin bone is no fun.  What I do, is angle the wheel over on its side, so that the force applied by the first mounted foot, passes through an imaginary vertical line with the contact patch of the tire.  No need to get a plumb bob out, anything close, is good enough.  Then as you step up with the other foot (while gently rolling forwards too) as the loose foot rises to step on, so does the loose pedal as your weight shifts to vertical. After a few tries, you will be executing smooth takeoffs, almost like a French circus performer.

Unless your arms are extra short, there's no need to get pedal-close to any launch assist device, pole, wall, etc.  Use your arm length to stand off a safe distance.;)

This bothered me a little too, early on. Like anything, you just need to power through it and your body will adapt and the pressure will no longer bother your shins.

23 hours ago, LanghamP said:

as a path to effortless mounting and dismount I found the locking exercise useful:

• while standing with one leg on the ground, "lock" the wheel with the other leg; in this position, move the wheel anywhere around with the loose leg, also further away from the supporting leg thereby spreading the legs and distributing weight to both legs
23 hours ago, LanghamP said:

+1, I still plan to find out whether there is some way to master this situation without a crash. I also don't like to grab a pole instead of dismounting, because sometimes a pole looks more stable than it actually is...

2 hours ago, Mono said:

as a path to effortless mounting and dismount I found the locking exercise useful:

• while standing with one leg on the ground, "lock" the wheel with the other leg; in this position, move the wheel anywhere around with the loose leg, also further away from the supporting leg thereby spreading the legs and distributing weight to both legs

+1, I still plan to find out whether there is some way to master this situation without a crash. I also don't like to grab a pole instead of dismounting, because sometimes a pole looks more stable than it actually is...

I grab poles all the time when they're handy - or rather bicycle traffic lights, hand-rails and other steel construction. With traffic lights it's as simple as me rolling forward and pressing the button, then just hold on while I'm at it. It doesn't even have anything to do with how comfortable I am mounting, I'm just dead lazy... :D 

I'm with you Scatcat - if a pole is readily available, I'll hold it instead of putting a foot down.  However, trying that on a ACM with pedals set to medium (instead of hard) was Bad -- the response time was so slow I could not get the wheel to sit still.

I do know how to mount quite gracefully, in a variety of ways but unlike any other skill I have to practice it a lot because if I don't the mounting skill gradually goes away. I suspect it's because my nervous system has to switch from bipedal to EUC balance.

Alright, how many of riders here try and fail to mount several times at an intersection, and end up hopping through the whole crosswalk like a one-legged frog? Still happens to me occasionally.

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Alright, how many of riders here try and fail to mount several times at an intersection, and end up hopping through the whole crosswalk like a one-legged frog? Still happens to me occasionally.

Never.  When I had to have a mount-assist device, I'd use the nearest pole, etc, even if it was 40 feet away from the crossing.  Now I don't fail a conventional mount.  Not bragging, I can't idle, ride one-legged, or backwards. But I can mount (sounds a bit naughty) but then again, only from one side.  I still have a lot to learn.

While we are talking about mounting/dismounting, I wanted to see if you all only use one leg or both. I can mount smoothly; dismount is a little rough. However, I use the same leg for both. Left leg always stays on the wheel. Right leg pushes off, and right leg steps down. Is this similar behavior to everyone else? I'm wondering if it is worth the trouble to learn how to push off and dismount on the opposite leg as well. 

21 minutes ago, gr8ps said:

While we are talking about mounting/dismounting, I wanted to see if you all only use one leg or both. I can mount smoothly; dismount is a little rough. However, I use the same leg for both. Left leg always stays on the wheel. Right leg pushes off, and right leg steps down. Is this similar behavior to everyone else? I'm wondering if it is worth the trouble to learn how to push off and dismount on the opposite leg as well. 

I think most people prefer one side.  Some suggest that learning both is an advantage.  I can't see how, to tell the truth.  If your immediate vicinity is so crowded, or precarious on one side (read cliff's edge) that using the other foot is required, then you probably shouldn't be wheeling there in the first place.  Still, it's a skill, and probably not too difficult to learn, so I'm going to give it a try.

30 minutes ago, gr8ps said:

I must admit that it surprises me to learn how many EUC old-timers still have preferred mounting legs, difficulties, etc. I was that way too for many months after learning to ride. But I would see a couple of other guys that were so smooth that I decided, "to hell with this, I'm going to practice". And that's what I did. Every time I took the wheel for a ride I would practice mounts and dismounts, and forced myself to practice with each leg. I do the same thing with turning or riding backwards - avoid any favorite sides.

So now I lift off by default with my right foot on the pedal, but I don't even have to think about using my other foot. Everything is equal. It's a great feeling and I encourage everyone to just put in the time. Stop being lazy :D  You won't get better by wishing it. Practice makes perfect and I'm positive that everyone can master the EUC mounts as demonstrated here. Just start :thumbup:

48 minutes ago, steve454 said:

You gave me the idea to try the other foot.  And backwards riding,  also.  Thanks, now I can do both.  Was not easy.  But the feeling of accomplishment was great.

GTFO. You learned to ride backwards in two hours?!?!?! Wow man, props to you. 

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

You gave me the idea to try the other foot.  And backwards riding,  also.  Thanks, now I can do both.  Was not easy.  But the feeling of accomplishment was great.

Bugger you @steve454... I use my wheel to get me from A to B - and never even thought about riding backward! 

But now I feel that l have to... Something to do over the holiday I suppose? 

Now , where is my X8... 

7 hours ago, gr8ps said:

GTFO. You learned to ride backwards in two hours?!?!?! Wow man, props to you. 

LOL.  No, I think @steve454 was referring to the recent past, not the two hours between their posts. :rolleyes:   That would be a thing though, wouldn't it! Two Hours to learn backwards riding.

that's the first GTFO I've read here.  I had to think for a second what it meant.  Very atmospheric. ;)

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Bugger you @steve454... I use my wheel to get me from A to B - and never even thought about riding backward! 

But now I feel that l have to... Something to do over the holiday I suppose? 

Now , where is my X8... 

Bugger it here too. I'm ambidextrous, but very much not ambipedal. I think I have to train to start off with my left foot now... And then learning to ride backwards...

More things to do, more stuff to learn. Well, at least going backwards on ice-skates feels as natural as going forward, so I should be able to learn doing the same on my GT16...

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

Bugger it here too. I'm ambidextrous, but very much not ambipedal. I think I have to train to start off with my left foot now... And then learning to ride backwards...

More things to do, more stuff to learn. Well, at least going backwards on ice-skates feels as natural as going forward, so I should be able to learn doing the same on my GT16...

Same situation as me. It took you several hours at least to learn to ride backwards but you'll only spend a few minutes to an hour or so learning to ride backwards. :)

Let me explain; whenever you read about these amazing people who learn something in such a short time, you dig deeper and see they have lots of time falling off other vehicles, in your case ice skating. 

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

What are ice-skates? :P

20 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But now I feel that l have to... Something to do over the holiday I suppose? . 

You can easily learn to ride backwards but don’t feel pressured into it. If you don’t want to scratch up your wheel and be bummed just wrap a belt around the handle and shove the other end into your pocket. Then you can grab the belt quickly before you dump the wheel ( yes you will dump it).  If you prefer the battle ground look then forget the belt.

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

You can easily learn to ride backwards but don’t feel pressured into it. If you don’t want to scratch up your wheel and be bummed just wrap a belt around the handle and shove the other end into your pocket. Then you can grab the belt quickly before you dump the wheel ( yes you will dump it).  If you prefer the battle ground look then forget the belt.

Ha ha... You obviously haven't seen my wheels. 

Covered with "the touch of experience!" 

Archived