V8 handle stuck

Herbas

Handle of my new V8 already got stuck (can't pull it out) :( Used it only for up to 10 times.

When I press the handle button, it appears that only the right latch unlocks, the left latch is still locked. I thought I would just remove the side panel and fix it inside, but it turns out that in order to remove the side panel you have to pull out the handle...

Anyone had this problem? How to fix it? V8 owners with working handles, can you check where the locks/latches of the handle are located?

Edited by Herbas

Maybe double check this video to see how it's done.  I've watched it several times.  I wish I had a V8.  :whistling:

EDIT:  Yeeks... looks like you do have to deploy the trolley to get it out.  :blink:  Maybe @Justina or @Jason McNeil can offer some suggestions.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Herbas said:

I thought I would just remove the side panel and fix it inside, but it turns out that in order to remove the side panel you have to pull out the handle...

Not true, actually the opposite.

From what I remember when I opened my since-sold V8 multiple times, you need to unscrew the 2 screws near the ankle, then it's twist of the shell to take it off, as shown the video @Hunka Hunka Burning Love posted. (was forgetting if there are screws under the tire-valve access flap, like the V5 has, but per the video, doesn't seem like it)

Just make sure the handle is all the way flush, or else it might catch the shell opening. 

Edited by houseofjob
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Not true, actually the opposite.

From what I remember when I opened my since-sold V8 multiple times, you need to unscrew the 2 screws near the ankle, then it's twist of the shell to take it off, as shown the video @Hunka Hunka Burning Love posted. (was forgetting if there are screws under the tire-valve access flap, like the V5 has, but per the video, doesn't seem like it)

Just make sure the handle is all the way flush, or else it might catch the shell opening. 

When removing the outer shell on the trolley handle side, you do have to pull out the handle a bit.   Otherwise there is not enough clearance to rotate the shell free from the clips.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, radial said:

When removing the outer shell on the trolley handle side, you do have to pull out the handle a bit.   Otherwise there is not enough clearance to rotate the shell free from the clips.  

Ah, think you're right, remembering now something like that (sorry! my V8 memory is a little hazy, been some time now).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe double check this video to see how it's done.  I've watched it several times.  I wish I had a V8.  :whistling:

I know you Hunka! More like “I wished I had a @justina!;)

• Like 1

You know me too well... :lol: :ph34r:

I wonder if maybe jimmying the trolley might help release the catch?   You push down first on it to unlatch is that right?   Maybe repeatedly tapping it down to add some vibration to the works could possibly release it so the cover can then be removed.  Maybe try tapping it with the wheel tilted at different angles.  

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

14 hours ago, Herbas said:

When I press the handle button, it appears that only the right latch unlocks, the left latch is still locked

Is there anyway you can shoot a short video of one latch unlocking? I’m currently at work and my neglected V8 is at home but I will gladly  take a look later. 

Edited by Rehab1

Thank you kind sir for going to great lengths to help me!

Unfortunately it didn't help me. I tried as much force with a knife as reasonably could, but the handle didn't move.

This is what I currently have:

ARXWZd4.jpg

When I press the button, the right side releases (it is up by 1 mm), but the left side doesn't. When I press the right side, it clicks back into locked position, when pressing the left side nothing happens (no click sound).

I watched your video and noticed this thing (marked by red arrow):

https://i.imgur.com/Gx7l2VC.jpg

Is it a latch or just a screw? I really hope that the latches in the middle of the handle that are seen in your video aren't the only ones and the lock latches are somewhere near the top and can be reached by a knife. Can you check if there are clickable latches near the top and where are they located, so that I could try blindly pressing them with a knife?

Edited by Herbas

4 hours ago, Herbas said:

Thank you kind sir for going to great lengths to help me!

Unfortunately it didn't help me. I tried as much force with a knife as reasonably could, but the handle didn't move.

This is what I currently have:

ARXWZd4.jpg

When I press the button, the right side releases (it is up by 1 mm), but the left side doesn't. When I press the right side, it clicks back into locked position, when pressing the left side nothing happens (no click sound).

I watched your video and noticed this thing (marked by red arrow):

https://i.imgur.com/Gx7l2VC.jpg

Is it a latch or just a screw? I really hope that the latches in the middle of the handle that are seen in your video aren't the only ones and the lock latches are somewhere near the top and can be reached by a knife. Can you check if there are clickable latches near the top and where are they located, so that I could try blindly pressing them with a knife?

It is just a screw. I've been thinking. We use ball latches (retaining balls with springs') for some of my kids orthopedic braces I fabricate.  All it takes it a little mal-alignment between the  rectangular telescopic bars and the latch holes no longer line up properly causing it to bind.

The push button release in the handle has a mechanism/linkage that travels down the telescopic bars.  Try to sparingly spray some WD40 into the push button release and then use an air-compressor and nozzle to force the lubricant down through the telescopic channel. I am out of ideas if that does not work. Sorry!

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

The only "solution" I can think of is to remove the shell destructively, fix the trolley handle, and buy a new replacement shell.  I don't know of any place where you can buy just one half, though.  They seem to come in pairs.  I guess it all depends on how important the trolley handle functionality is to you.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

All Electric Unicycle handle mechanisms, apart from the V5F's & V3Pro's, are effective rubbish not very good. An interesting piece of trivia, both the Gotway MSuper & KS 14/16 use exactly the same retracting telescopic retractors.

The V8's handle is particularly susceptible to getting stuck, it happened on my demo V8. It was resting at an ungainly angle, the Wheel fell over & made a bit of kink in the metal. It was enough to get it jammed inside. I was able to retract it by pushing down on the button & using a thin pair of pliers to pry it free. 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjU0lnekJkb

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

The V8's handle is particularly susceptible to getting stuck, it happened on my demo V8. It was resting at an ungainly angle, the Wheel fell over & made a bit of kink in the metal. It was enough to get it jammed inside. I was able to retract it by pushing down on the button & using a thin pair of pliers to pry it free. 

Hey buddy, was your trolley handle extended when it fell over?  @Herbas never mentioned that his tipped over. 

I've been looking at my V8 handle and can see no obvious way that you can easily free the mechanism externally. I did note that there has been a small design change as there is no screw in the location indicated in the picture on mine. The long edges of the handle are smooth with just a screw in each of the front and rear/shorter edges.

Playing with the pin mechanism (which had a light coating of grease on it and should probably be routinely re-greased during monthly maintenance) the pins are sprung pushing them outwards with the button activating the mechanism to pull them in against the spring. If the retraction mechanism is actually broken rather than stuck then I think you could hammer the side of the unit to death and you would have zero chance of releasing it.

I must say that is is very poor design on the part of Inmotion to make side panel removal dependent on the release of the handle. A larger hole in the panel around the handle with a removable filler insert would be much more appropriate given the poor reliability of these kinds of mechanisms.

As @radial said I think some kind of destructive resolution is going to be your only option. As the handle is already buggered I would probably try making a small access hole in the top of the handle over the failed shaft and then using spray greasy directly down the shaft in the hope that the mechanism still works and the grease frees the pin. You could probably fill such a small hole with glue and not incur any costs. Failing that I'd continue drilling to make a larger opening in the top of the handle until you had a hole big enough to try to manually manipulate the mechanism. If all that fails then I think you have no choice but to enlarge the side panel hole around the handle slightly such that it would allow enough rotation of the side to release the clips.

If this is a new wheel I'd try to get this resolved under warranty.

• Like 3

Slightly off topic, but I find the KS14c external trolley, although hollow and chintzy, to work extremely well. Mine is bashed to hell, somewhat destructively saving the EUC. 

I wonder if such external trolleys can be fitted to the KS16s and the Gotway MSuper V3. I avoid using the KS16's trolley, and I do not use the MSuper's trolley at all, because they are too fragile.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Slightly off topic, but I find the KS14c external trolley, although hollow and chintzy, to work extremely well. Mine is bashed to hell, somewhat destructively saving the EUC. 

I wonder if such external trolleys can be fitted to the KS16s and the Gotway MSuper V3. I avoid using the KS16's trolley, and I do not use the MSuper's trolley at all, because they are too fragile.

I love my KS14S handle compared to the external 14C handle. Just another data point :)

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I love my KS14S handle compared to the external 14C handle. Just another data point :)

My needs might be different from yours as I often trolley through public transportation and dense crowds, so I put durability and risk of damage pretty high up. Just think if someone leaned up against your wheel, or kicked it; which wheel would you prefer to have. The 14c or the 14s?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

My needs might be different from yours as I often trolley through public transportation and dense crowds, so I put durability and risk of damage pretty high up. Just think if someone leaned up against your wheel, or kicked it; which wheel would you prefer to have. The 14c or the 14s?

I understand. I must say that the 14S trolley feels very sturdy to me (more so than the MSuper). Maybe because it's on a 14 inch wheel. The same trolley on a 16 inch (or 18) would feel less sturdy.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone in 2020 from Ukraine :)

I've faced the same issue as Herbas did. 

Exactly the same trouble with the left lock (in case the battery display is to right from you) - right seems to be working fine, but something stuck in left corner, however previously the handle worked fine. 

I've declared the war to that stubborn handle and won. Me - 1, handle - 0.

I decided that I need something to get the handle pushed from the bottom. But since I'm not a fisherman and had no fishing hooks it took me a while to find a solution.

And my victory toolset is: 1) a knife (thin enough to put it between handle and side cover); 2) edged hexagon tool N2 like this:shestigrannik-7-mm-stanley-1-87-256.jpg

It occurred that N1 is too weak for this job. 

And 3) some muscle fingers to hold the hexagon - since I don't have such powerful fingers I used pliers. 

So, just pull the side cover a little bit like Rehab1 showed in his video, insert a shorter end of the hexagon tool for ±1.5 cm deep, turn it for 90 degrees so that you could pull the handle from the bottom. And gently (or firmly - depends on how much your handle stuck) pull the hexagon tool with pliers or mighty fingers. Done, celebrate. 

Hope that will help to someone. 

Wish your handle never stuck and battery was always charged. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Same thing happened to me as well very recently. @ziziks your method worked like a charm :cheers:

tools used (pls see pic): hex key, plastic pry tool, and pliers

I was just resting my V8F against a corner wall like I have done routinely for... since I can remember having the wheel. Always trolley extended as I walk couple of feet to grab my shoes. Only this time it slowly tipped over the other way. Still looked cosmetically perfect... it was not a hard fall by any means, and yet the mechanism to lower it broke. Since I was heading out, I pushed it back to lock position only to find out later on that it was stuck just like @Herbas but mine was the right side.

I just want to thank this forum and the people here for providing me with the solution. 

I ordered another trolley from Ewheels and changed it last night. It was done in minutes thanks to the tips provided here.

p.s. I just wanted to mention, I know this is not significant to this discussion but, I ordered an Mten3 trolley together with my v8 trolley. I was surprised to see that there is also a release button on that Mten3 external trolley as well! there wasn't one on Marty's installation video I think. At least now I know how NOT to mess these up.LOL

Thanks again to all of you. Cheers!

trolley stuck.jpg