Kiwano KO1 - One Wheel Scooter

Henrik Olsen

10 minutes ago, novazeus said:

dismounts only happen in the first two weeks, i wish u people would quit riding around looking like ur going to battle. ur scaring eveybody.

If you are scared by a Power Ranger, then there is probably not a lot that wont scare you. I get comments all the time about how cool my gear looks. Kids constantly try to get my attention so they can ask me about it. 

I ride around traffic and for the most part, the gear is there to protect me from the 2 ton mobile phones people like to drive around in without looking where they are going more than at what they are typing. 

My family and friends are more scared by the fact that I ever thought of riding this without protective gear. I feel it is more adult and realistic to show people that the inherent danger of the device infront of their eyes can easily be mitigated by a motocross jacket, wrist pads and a helmet. Boy the fun and freedom is clearly written across the smile on my face! :roflmao:

so be scared of my protective gear if you have to, but I think it is misplaced, and that may be what is scaring you more.

• Like 2

my point is, unintentional dismounts ie falling, is gonna happen. so i don't believe it only happens the first two weeks. i think protective gear is great, at ten miles per hour it might be overkill. i always rode cycles with a full face arai helmet, i have a few. me personally, i don't think i'd ever share the road with cars.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 04/01/2018 at 10:00 AM, Kudays said:

Hi Guys,

Is there anybody who owns a Kiwano K01 around? Can he/she tell if it is more comfortable than riding a EUC? I need real life experience.

It's a disaster.

I have ridden one, and I would not own one even if they paid me money to ride it ;-)  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Henrik Olsen said:

It's a disaster.

I have ridden one, and I would not own one even if they paid me money to ride it ;-)  

Thanx for that! That was absolutely to be exspected :-)

It takes the worse of EUC, hoverboard, segway, and one wheel and throws it in one pot!

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Thanx for that! That was absolutely to be exspected :-)

It takes the worse of EUC, hoverboard, segway, and one wheel and throws it in one pot!

It's impossible to ride off road and I have the footage to show it.

Haven't had time to put the footage together a review, but my friend Kristan made this review on our gadget Channel (including one of our friends riding off road)

He is way more diplomatic in his conclusion that I would have been, especially because he paid 800USD for it out of his own pocket. 

(sorry for posting the video twice)

Edited by Henrik Olsen

31 minutes ago, Henrik Olsen said:

It's impossible to ride off road and I have the footage to show it.

Haven't had time to put the footage together a review, but my friend Kristan made this review on our gadget Channel (including one of our friends riding off road)

He is way more diplomatic in his conclusion that I would have been, especially because he paid 800USD for it out of his own pocket. 

(sorry for posting the video twice)

It looks underpowered when going through the grassy area.  Funny scene at the end, of the car rolling away.

That yellow fruit is strange looking:huh:

Edited by steve454

32 minutes ago, Henrik Olsen said:

impossible to ride off road and I have the footage to show it

Please, show us :-)

I have seen the video of your friend before...and yes, he is way to diplomatic!

The riding sucks....period :-) Not much to discuss in my opinion....

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 1:31 AM, Milanie said:

Clearly, 99% of the people on this forum likely rarely lose their balance or pose a risk to their fellow train-riders or pedestrians.

Clearly.

Back to the topic: aren't the pedals of the Kiwano rather uncomfortable?

In the spirit of full disclosure: Are you in any way or shape paid by Kiwano sellers of producer?

On 9/15/2018 at 1:31 AM, Milanie said:

My one complaint about the Kiwano, I would love for it to be 10 lbs lighter. However, given all the other boxes it checks off, I’ll deal with the extra weight. 

If i'm not mistaken the Mini from UNO BOLT will be lighter : https://www.unobolt.com/mini-by-uno-bolt.html

I have no idea whether learning to ride electric "pogo sticks" is easier, the same or harder than learning to ride an euc. If it is significantly easier I see them out selling eucs 10-1, even with their low speed. It's almost laughable to see them stating that they can go 22 mph, when their "paid pros" are doing 20 kph or less. They should send one to an euc or perhaps OneWheel you tuber we respect. The Unobolt has potential .. seemingly. I saw a you tube of the Kiwano and it's performance was pitiful.

• 1 month later...

Only had it a day and already having kids chase me asking what I am riding. Gotten much less afraid of the unit, might almost call me comfortable, but it's like learning a bicycle, I'll get better with time. The Unobolt looks like it has an actual headlight, while the Kiwano just has a white light at the top of the handlebar. I like that it's high (the Unobolt has it in front of your toes) but it doesn't light the way in front of you. Hopefully, the Unobolt's does, but I don't have one to check out. The Unobolt may be lighter but it's half the power and I am an old fat man, I don't like the idea of riding something made of aluminum. I like the 500lbs weight capacity of the Kiwano, I could ride it with my wife on my back (if she'd let me).

I agree with Milanie, this is a great last mile solution. It's as easy to stow in your car as an umbrella. With the idle mode (where it stands by itself) you can easily keep it next to you while you shop or ride transit. You don't have to hold it or carry it. I have been riding it for more than a day now and still have lots of battery left. 

I have seen people comment that they thought it only goes in straight lines, it took me no time to figure out turning, I can easily follow a sidewalk around the corner, though if I need to turn around I will just get off and get back on, it's not like a Segway, when you slow to a stop, it is a unicycle, you can't just stand there idling, or at least I don't have that skill, yet. Like Tom Hanks in The Man with One Red Shoe, amazing balance on a bicycle at a stop. Oh, and the handlebar catching you in the nuts has not been my experience, as I go down, so does the scooter, it feels much more in control, like Milanie said.

This was not the cheapest solution, nor does the company act like they even exist, but out of the box it does everything I expected (though I thought it would follow me when I walked away) so I am happy even if I never have to speak to them. I have been learning to ride and discovered that it gets me more exercise than walking the same distance. May become part of my daily routine rather than live in the trunk of my car. Would be nice if it had a car charger to keep it topped up in the trunk.

-Randy

Edited by israndy
  • Upvote 1

Found a pretty special offer: https://wigwholesale.online/products/one-wheeled-scooter

Obviously they cheat with the technical data and the engine power is hidden completely. Wow, what a crap!! In my Point of view this is a pretty dangerous version of an "EUC". 

On Ali they're advertising this 10incher with the Brand Name "PCFGSL",

Motor wattage 350w (500w max) 

Voltage of Battery 36v

Anyway, on it's appearence it reminds me of this guy - but much more crappy  ;)) 

https://www.amazon.com/Trotter-Off-Road-Skateboard-Black/dp/B071L5NPCN/

Edited by Borg666
URL inserted

11 minutes ago, Mono said:

Doesn't that look very much like one of those send-us-some-money-and-your-will-never-hear-from-us-again sites?

? Yes, especially the price looks a lot like that. 

The "PCFGSL" model advertised on Ali carrys a price tag about €400. But I really doubt quality on any version of that wheel, my2ct. 

23 hours ago, israndy said:

Only had it a day and already having kids chase me asking what I am riding. Gotten much less afraid of the unit, might almost call me comfortable, but it's like learning a bicycle, I'll get better with time. The Unobolt looks like it has an actual headlight, while the Kiwano just has a white light at the top of the handlebar. I like that it's high (the Unobolt has it in front of your toes) but it doesn't light the way in front of you. Hopefully, the Unobolt's does, but I don't have one to check out. The Unobolt may be lighter but it's half the power and I am an old fat man, I don't like the idea of riding something made of aluminum. I like the 500lbs weight capacity of the Kiwano, I could ride it with my wife on my back (if she'd let me).

I agree with Milanie, this is a great last mile solution. It's as easy to stow in your car as an umbrella. With the idle mode (where it stands by itself) you can easily keep it next to you while you shop or ride transit. You don't have to hold it or carry it. I have been riding it for more than a day now and still have lots of battery left. 

I have seen people comment that they thought it only goes in straight lines, it took me no time to figure out turning, I can easily follow a sidewalk around the corner, though if I need to turn around I will just get off and get back on, it's not like a Segway, when you slow to a stop, it is a unicycle, you can't just stand there idling, or at least I don't have that skill, yet. Like Tom Hanks in The Man with One Red Shoe, amazing balance on a bicycle at a stop. Oh, and the handlebar catching you in the nuts has not been my experience, as I go down, so does the scooter, it feels much more in control, like Milanie said.

This was not the cheapest solution, nor does the company act like they even exist, but out of the box it does everything I expected (though I thought it would follow me when I walked away) so I am happy even if I never have to speak to them. I have been learning to ride and discovered that it gets me more exercise than walking the same distance. May become part of my daily routine rather than live in the trunk of my car. Would be nice if it had a car charger to keep it topped up in the trunk.

-Randy

Where did you buy your unit? How far have you ridden on a charge and have you gone up any steep hills? How fast have you gone?

• 3 weeks later...

There are several of these on eBay. I found mine on CraigsList and the day I did there were 4 for sale. I got it from someone who purchased a couple of them when they just started shipping. He decided against having his employees ride the scooter between their two facilities as it takes a while to learn. Sold me mine for $800 new in box. I don't expect any warranty on this as the factory has a HORRIBLE track record, but I LOVE THIS BIKE!

It seems to have all the power and capability I need, and it fits perfectly on the floor of my Tesla so I can go for a ride when my car is charging. Now I need a car charger for it.

The footpegs were tough in my tennis shoes, now it's moving towards winter so I am wearing boots and the pegs are no issue. I am a heavy guy and this thing has no issues with me. I will take it up my driveway at the mountain cabin this weekend and let you know, but I don't think it will bat an eye.

It took a week, but I am very comfortable riding it, and everyone who sees me with it has to stare, and why else buy a toy, really? Took it to the Apple store and put it in idle mode as it self-balanced in the store everyone was coming up to me asking where it came from. That's the nice thing about them being so rare still, while if I rolled in on one of those common battery unicycles I would have to bend over and turn it off and find a place to lay it on its side. Yuck!

img_5253_lively-gif.353335

My collection of excellent vehicles

-Randy

Edited by israndy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1