Iwant to travel thousand of miles by unicyle

253848493@qq.com

I have two king 18's: kingsong 18A and Kingsong 18S. I wish somebody can help me to loosen off the battery from my old kingsong 18A, and make an additional battery package, which can be placed in my bag. Then My battery will be 1360+1680 =3040wh. Then I can travel by new kingsong 18S around the United States.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't. I mean, you could try but then you'd be killed or injured trying to travel across the car-centric USA.

Race Across America, which uses public roads not closed off, has most teams with a trailing vehicle with flashing lights because they know damn well car drivers plow into bicyclist all the time. You will not survive a collision with a car on the highway, nor would you want to.

What I recommend instead is simply to buy an <expensive> AMTRAK pass (for trains), and bring your wheel with you. There are charging ports everywhere on AMTRAK trains. You'd go someplace by train, get off, play a bit with your rather largish wheel.

If I had vacation time then that's what I'd do.

Follow your dream, man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't let Langham shit on your dream. Sure, it will be hard, but all things worth doing are. Do you think it was easy to fly to the moon? Do you think it was safe? Of course not!

We don't do these things because they are easy, we do them because they are hard.............. as fuck :D

15 minutes ago, 253848493@qq.com said:

thank you for your suggestion. My thought seems childish.

Ignore @LanghamP's advice in this regards. The United States has plenty of safe areas to ride. I live in Southern California which is arguably the most car-centric large city in the States. I'm still alive :)

Your thought is not childish!

12 minutes ago, Pard said:

Is possible to go coast to coast USA staying off the highways?

Yes.

I read (and enjoyed) this book, many years ago: Blue Highways: A Journey into America

51RupujsryL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If you are serious about this, leave your wheels at home and buy a new one with spare battery pack(s) from Jason at ewheels.com in the US. When your holiday is over, you can make arrangements to ship the wheel and extra battery/ies back to China or sell them here. It is very unlikely that you will find a reputable company in the US to make a custom battery pack for you due to liability risks (and because you are a tourist) without spending a large amount of money. It will be near impossible to ship a hacked-battery-solution out of the US, since no carrier will accept it without a manufacturer's MSDS (materiel safety data sheet). It will be just as difficult to import one into the US for the same reason.

Also, you should consider hiring a bonded, professional tour guide for any large population center, or cultivate trustworthy travel buddies on social media far in advance. Lastly, buy travel insurance that includes extensive comprehensive medical and liability cover, unless you are very wealthy and have high credit limits on your cards.

edit: don't try to do this alone as a tourist.

43 minutes ago, litewave said:

If you are serious about this, leave your wheels at home and buy a new one with spare battery pack(s) from Jason at ewheels.com in the US. When your holiday is over, you can make arrangements to ship the wheel and extra battery/ies back to China or sell them here. It is very unlikely that you will find a reputable company in the US to make a custom battery pack for you due to liability risks (and because you are a tourist) without spending a large amount of money. It will be near impossible to ship a hacked-battery-solution out of the US, since no carrier will accept it without a manufacturer's MSDS (materiel safety data sheet). It will be just as difficult to import one into the US for the same reason.

Also, you should consider hiring a bonded, professional tour guide for any large population center, or cultivate trustworthy travel buddies on social media far in advance. Lastly, buy travel insurance that includes extensive comprehensive medical and liability cover, unless you are very wealthy and have high credit limits on your cards.

edit: don't try to do this alone as a tourist.

thank you for such a penetrating analysis.

Coast to Coast on a wheel! I want to do it. Good route planning, a support vehicle, and a couple long range wheels is all you need. Could be done in a month. Has anyone done a coast to coast yet? If not it's a matter of time. Sponsor me.

13 hours ago, 253848493@qq.com said:

My thought seems childish.

On the contrary. Some 700 years ago Marco Polo was up against what was then a challenge too, travelling through war-torn, disease-ridden tribal areas and lived to tell the tale.

There is this video of two guys having done something similar: 

I don't recommend carrying 1360Wh in your backpack because it's both too heavy and not very necessary. There are three battery packs in a KS18A, one big 680Wh and two fork-shaped 340Wh. What I suggest is to use that 680wh only as the external pack and leave those two strange 340Wh behind also because they all series connected and not very efficient. To use that 680Wh as the external pack, you need to modify both the output plug(so that it can plug-in to the charger port of the 18S) and the input socket(so that it can be charged by the charger). 

The 680Wh pack is in the middle of the 18A under the mainboard, and can be taken out by removing both covers and fillers.

Here is in Chinese:
18A里面有3块电池,中间的那个680Wh好用,两边的340Wh形状特殊不好携带。
把左右盖板取下,拆除引线,中间的那个大电池就可以从一边推出来。输出口是XT60需要改口、加延长线、加松脱扣(防止意外人车分离而扯断线或扯坏插头插座)、插在18S的充电口上(电压需要一致)。680Wh的充电口记得也是XT60(线比较细,不要与输出口搞混),需要做一个适配器才能接充电器充电,图省事就把外挂插车上然后给外挂充,车也就被间接充电了。当然,正规充电方法是用两个充电器分别充车和外挂,也可以做一个三通这样一个充电器可以同时给车和外挂充电。

680+1680=2360基本可以跑150公里了,一般中午用10A充电器充2个小时下午继续跑100多公里。否则即便用3040Wh也就能不充电跑200来公里还挺累。赶路的话也可以晚饭+充电后晚间继续跑路,白天反而可以少跑一点游玩。

24 minutes ago, zlymex said:

I don't recommend carrying 1360Wh in your backpack because it's both too heavy and not very necessary. There are three battery packs in a KS18A, one big 680Wh and two fork-shaped 340Wh. What I suggest is to use that 680wh only as the external pack and leave those two strange 340Wh behind also because they all series connected and not very efficient. To use that 680Wh as the external pack, you need to modify both the output plug(so that it can plug-in to the charger port of the 18S) and the input socket(so that it can be charged by the charger). 

The 680Wh pack is in the middle of the 18A under the mainboard, and can be taken out by removing both covers and fillers.

Here is in Chinese:
18A里面有3块电池,中间的那个680Wh好用,两边的340Wh形状特殊不好携带。
把左右盖板取下,拆除引线,中间的那个大电池就可以从一边推出来。输出口是XT60需要改口、加延长线、加松脱扣(防止意外人车分离而扯断线或扯坏插头插座)、插在18S的充电口上(电压需要一致)。680Wh的充电口记得也是XT60(线比较细,不要与输出口搞混),需要做一个适配器才能接充电器充电,图省事就把外挂插车上然后给外挂充,车也就被间接充电了。当然,正规充电方法是用两个充电器分别充车和外挂,也可以做一个三通这样一个充电器可以同时给车和外挂充电。

680+1680=2360基本可以跑150公里了,一般中午用10A充电器充2个小时下午继续跑100多公里。否则即便用3040Wh也就能不充电跑200来公里还挺累。赶路的话也可以晚饭+充电后晚间继续跑路,白天反而可以少跑一点游玩。

As i own a Ks18S myself i can honestly say that this ALL will not work that easy!

As soon as all the new "S" series board detects a power source on the charge port.....it will not be able to power up any more!

The board/bluetooth and all works....but not the motor! Why? I guess KS will rule out all dangerous connections to its wheel...but that is just a guess...

So connecting it to the wheel WHILE driving...will not go to work...

One more:

This is because the charge port is connected to the board....and not as on old versions to one of the batterie packs....

Then from the board there is running a 3 wire connection to all batterie packs. this 3 wire connection is for charging AND De-charging/power alltogether.

because of that...for external packs you have to make more complicated connection than zlymex says...

9 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

As soon as all the new "S" series board detects a power source on the charge port.....it will not be able to power up any more!

Is that so? My old IPS T260 works that way too but I bypass that in two ways:
one is to turn the power on then plug-in the external pack. if that is not working for 18S then
two is to build an extra socket that directly parallel it to the internal battery.

51 minutes ago, zlymex said:

Is that so? My old IPS T260 works that way too but I bypass that in two ways:
one is to turn the power on then plug-in the external pack. if that is not working for 18S then
two is to build an extra socket that directly parallel it to the internal battery.

Like said a bit later:

Charge port goes into board...

From board to batteries there a just 3! (instead 4) big strands/wires, doing the charging AND wheel-powering ALL on this 3 strands

and no...if you plug in after powering on, the wheel stops!

Archived