Iwant to travel thousand of miles by unicyle

253848493@qq.com

Awesome concept, @Stan Onymous!

Arizona is tricky to cross without hitting:

1. massive stretches of desert without any sort of services
  2. Interstate highways
  3. extreme weather (scorching heat in the south/lowlands after mid-May, freezing/snow in the north/high elevations through March).

Here's my first crack at a route.  About 400 miles, and the elevations go from about 4,000 near Parker to 1,500 around Phoenix, and back up to 7,000 at Show Low.  The climb from Phoenix up into the Tonto National Forest will be tough on batteries, but there aren't any practical alternatives that don't involve Interstate highways.

I'll meet anyone who is brave enough to tackle this, and provide support services. 

Oh wait ... @Stan Onymous were you thinking I would be riding this?  :roflmao:

EUC route across AZ.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Ombre said:

Awesome concept, @Stan Onymous!

Arizona is tricky to cross without hitting:

1. massive stretches of desert without any sort of services
  2. Interstate highways
  3. extreme weather (scorching heat in the south/lowlands after mid-May, freezing/snow in the north/high elevations through March).

Here's my first crack at a route.  About 400 miles, and the elevations go from about 4,000 near Parker to 1,500 around Phoenix, and back up to 7,000 at Show Low.  The climb from Phoenix up into the Tonto National Forest will be tough on batteries, but there aren't any practical alternatives that don't involve Interstate highways.

I'll meet anyone who is brave enough to tackle this, and provide support services. 

Oh wait ... @Stan Onymous were you thinking I would be riding this?  :roflmao:

EUC route across AZ.png

Okay, so @Ombre is in "if someone can provide support services" is the grammar I am going with.

its only 3 days to get across Arizona barring rattlesnakes, blizzards, monsoons, Sherriff Joe Arpaio, melted tires and heat stroke. 

I wonder if there is a way through four points....:blink:?

5 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

I Totally would want to do it. I would also like to set up some meeting points where we can have group support rides across cities with other riders. Who has the time to try this late Spring, since any later will require night riding across the southwest. We will need a service truck to recharge the EUCs and meet us at certain checkpoints.

I am going to do a long distance test this weekend and see what my KS18s 1680wh can accomplish. So who else is in? We can start with cross state journeys and build excitement from there. :dribble:

l could be interested... Can you tell me though, when is spring for you? 

Would be nice have one of those installed in our long range EUC power-box-07.png

And maybe can be legalized like electric assisted bikes.

Anybody know how can improve a EUC autonomy? I'm suspecting no more than 4-5km per hour pedaling but maybe I wrong 

Other range extender can be this one

800px_COLOURBOX3091100.jpg

No only solar power, also can provide wind sailing, wind screen, and of course rain and sun protection.

Silly animation I made with all put together

:lol::D:lol:

Here are some route ideas from other coast to coast crossings.

A simple idea is to follow one of the well traveled bike routes. https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/transamerica-trail/

or 

One of the other convayances like this one taken on roller blades. 

http://www.thefreedomskater.com/the-journey/

A Segway has already made the trip. Got to get cracking eucs. 

I like @Demargon 's rechargeable efforts. I would love to try some of that out for a leg of the journey. That Umbrella looks like shade, and rain abatement will be its best trait, but would love to try the solar battery charging. It may make more sense to have two vehicles I can switch to and charge the other in the Service Van following.

Routes will be very important. I do not want to travel on any freeways!... This will be hard if we are to follow the bike routes which almost all take a freeway or two for long stretches. The walking route is almost twice the length and takes a more northerly route, but no freeways. There has got to be a hybrid of these two maps we can follow. I am still researching the state Trails to find a safer way. I may try horse trails too. Roads are dangerous enough.

It would be great to get some EUC industry support for the ride and maybe some loaners we can review along the journey in a real life transportation situation or skill test. I would like to start seeing people's efforts to cross their cities using a EUC. Then we can graduate to the first people to cross their states. These are records we need to start building for the cross country challenge. So who is in?B)

GoalZero has excellent (though a bit on the pricey side) portable solar panels (think: backpack-mounted) and rechargeable battery packs. I use and like their stuff.

No matter what is used, though, a solar charge solution is only able to extend the time between stops, not eliminate them. You just can't carry a large enough panel to replace the juice you use, especially outside of peak sun hours.

Far more effective would be a beefy external battery pack that gets recharged at the same time as the wheel at each stop. They do get heavy, though.

5 minutes ago, Pyrolupus said:

Far more effective would be a beefy external battery pack that gets recharged at the same time as the wheel at each stop. They do get heavy, though.

We will need some sort of charging solution to be attached to the Service assistance vehicle. It will be necessary to accomplish a 150 mile a day goal. I was thinking of some solar laminate to glue to the top of the vehicle to charge a battery bank that will charge the EUCs we arent riding.

It will need to be hooked up to the alternator too for days when its cloudy or raining or the solar panels go belly up.

On 9/5/2017 at 12:23 PM, 253848493@qq.com said:

I have two king 18's: kingsong 18A and Kingsong 18S. I wish somebody can help me to loosen off the battery from my old kingsong 18A, and make an additional battery package, which can be placed in my bag. Then My battery will be 1360+1680 =3040wh. Then I can travel by new kingsong 18S around the United States.

For some inspiration, you can watch Ed Pratt who is riding his unicycle AROUND THE WORLD!!! He has a you tube channel and makes some really great videos!

http://www.worldunicycletour.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuNy42Y5egf07cSiHbF23wg

Don't listen to anyone that says it can't be done!!!

Let us know your plans, I'd love to join you for a portion anyway!

Good Luck!

37 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

We will need some sort of charging solution to be attached to the Service assistance vehicle. It will be necessary to accomplish a 150 mile a day goal. I was thinking of some solar laminate to glue to the top of the vehicle to charge a battery bank that will charge the EUCs we arent riding.

Shoot, I was thinking of only the rider. :-) The service vehicle, assuming an SUV or van, could easily have one or two 100W rooftop solar panels on the roof rack charging a battery inside. Or heck, even charging a second EUC to hot-swap for the rider. (Same holds true whether charging off solar panels on the roof or via a vehicle alternator-powered socket.)

off-the-grid-with-solar-panels-on-roof-o

Just remember a electric assisted unicycle prototype thanks to @Evel_Knievel video links:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68488&d=1469

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119436

Is much better way for extend your range than the pedal charger or the solar panel from my old post. I bet it can reach near 10 mph only from the rider effort. Adding a 1680 Wh batteries can bring to reality the 100 miles per charge goal.

I also dream about very long travel with my unicycle, but the need of charging the EUC trows me to find someone who drives my van equipped whit solar panels like @Pyrolupus picture. Meanwhile I keep searching for the best EUC for long travels, hoping some manufacturer do the electric assisted unicycle what we need.

Archived