Got my V8 today. It's harder to learn than I thought :)

HETPE3B

It looks so simple looking on the videos how you folks are gliding :)

It took around 7 minutes to make 20ft ride and 8 more minutes to ride around 300ft. I probably was playing with that thing around half an hour and my ankles sore ;) I did manage to speed up a bit, riding few hundreds feet is not a problem now, but turns are still somewhat hard. Like I read here on the forum V8 is tenting to tilt forward when I making turns. Feel kinda strange. And the tilt angle is pretty big (I have nothing to compare it, so may be it just me). Tomorrow will spend some more time practicing turns. I also took a belt from my pants to have the wheel leashed :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HETPE3B said:

It took around 7 minutes to make 20ft ride and 8 more minutes to ride around 300ft. I probably was playing with that thing around half an hour and my ankles sore ;) I did manage to speed up a bit, riding few hundreds feet is not a problem now, but turns are still somewhat hard. Like I read here on the forum V8 is tenting to tilt forward when I making turns. Feel kinda strange. And the tilt angle is pretty big (I have nothing to compare it, so may be it just me). Tomorrow will spend some more time practicing turns. I also took a belt from my pants to have the wheel leashed :)

Looks like a good start to me. Expect your legs, ankles, etc. to be sore and potentially bruised for weeks. We were all there just like you. Enjoy the process. Although I got sore and had minor injuries I had a blast learning.

I guess we were all in this Situation: "How the heck are These guys gliding so easy ???"

Even after i learned to ride a few meters it had nothing todo with the Video out there of People drivng around and having fun. And the pain in the ankles and legs :-)

But you can relax! Just Keep going and driving and in about 4-6 weeks you will not be thinking about what you are doing on your EUC anymore!

It goes into your blood like you have done nothing else in your complete life :-)

And like the others said: Looks good for just some minutes!!!

I didn't even manage to get on my GT16 the first night out. Tried for maybe half an hour, was totally out of breath and all my muscles was like jelly. :D

Second day I managed to ride 20 feet or so, after 30 minutes of trying. Third day I could get on, get off, start, break, ride as far as I wished and even turn reasonably well.

Fourth day I started to feel more relaxed. Total time on the wheel before I dared go on a public road was maybe four hours. Total time before I did so without having my heart stuck in my throat was maybe twice that. Fast forward a week and I was doing, stop-flip 90°-start routines and generally was just having fun.

In short, you're doing good!

It's fun watching you learn knowing your on the cusp of effortless gliding. Every community member that joins builds the public awareness and product development (I hope). 

6 hours ago, HETPE3B said:

You are doing great! Your efforts will definitely pay off in spades!  It's interesting how the brain works while learning to ride an EUC.  Repetition = relaxation which will allow your body to sense the wheel's subtle changes and you will eventually respond automatically without even thinking about it.

I experienced a similar learning curve while learning to fly helicopters. I could not relax! Operating all 3 controls in a coordinated manner was impossible and hugely embarrassing at first. Then through daily repetitive practice, along with my terrified instructor to take over, my brain began processing the subtle changes of the helicopter's attitude and it all started to click.

Have fun and take your time!

@HETPE3B, excellent videos and a really good demonstration of the correct way to use a leash so as not to lose control of the wheel if you have to jump off.

As everyone else has said above, really excellent progress too - not to mention brave doing it in full view of all your neighbors ?.

Just consider some protection as you go faster, particularly wrist guards as its your hands that will hit the ground first if you come off too fast to run.

14 minutes ago, Keith said:

@HETPE3B, excellent videos and a really good demonstration of the correct way to use a leash so as not to lose control of the wheel if you have to jump off.

As everyone else has said above, really excellent progress too - not to mention brave doing it in full view of all your neighbors ?.

Just consider some protection as you go faster, particularly wrist guards as its your hands that will hit the ground first if you come off too fast to run.

Not to mention the absolute nuisance if you break bones in your hand or wrist. Such fractures take a long time to bounce back from.

Wow!  That is really good for a few minutes!  I wasn't able to get that until the third or fourth 30-40 minute session.  But I didn't learn it the correct way.  What you are doing in the video is more the correct way to learn, the hopping forward on one leg.  Great job!  Just remember it will take time and lots of effort for everything with the EUC.  It will feel like it is impossible to learn and get good at it for every little thing.  

All I can say it just need to keep investing the time and effort and you will be a pro!  What learning the EUC has reminded me is that there is nothing you cannot learn if you put in the time and effort.  Most people quit when the going gets tough.  

If you get stuck, ask away.  Will be happy to give you some tips.  But it looks like you are doing fantastic already!  I've only been riding for 10 weeks.

Thanks folks for the kind words and support. So far everything seems to be straight forward except the turns (or u-turns) on somewhat low speeds, because what makes me confused is why the wheel leans forward quite a bit until the moment when it is not comfortable to keep the fit on it. Most likely it will come with practice how to adapt.

31 minutes ago, HETPE3B said:

Thanks folks for the kind words and support. So far everything seems to be straight forward except the turns (or u-turns) on somewhat low speeds, because what makes me confused is why the wheel leans forward quite a bit until the moment when it is not comfortable to keep the fit on it. Most likely it will come with practice how to adapt.

You mean the pedal dip when making turns? Inmotion wheels pedal dip a lot until their body is adjusted through the application (body turning and adjustment option).

If you want the pedals to stay level in turns then keep a constant speed before and during the turn but slowing while turning causes pedal dip.

Look at my thread in the Inmotion forum "Help me decide". At the end I discuss the pedal tilt and how to calibrate the wheel. My new V8 had a forward tilt in general when it thought it was level. I think that made the forward tilt on turn even worse. It didn't get rid of the forward tilt but I believe it lessened in. I'm still investigating ways to get rid of it.

1 hour ago, HETPE3B said:

I've not had any forward leaning of any of my EUC's while turning. Though I have noticed a rearward leaning in the KS-18S which takes some getting used to.  It doesn't do it all the time though and it is most likely due to the unusually tall body of the KS-18S which means that probably all units do this but it isn't noticeable since they are so short. 

Today I took it for a few miles ride to the trail. Did manage to rige I guess around a mile without stopping. Tried to shoot the video, but it somewhat hard to stay relaxed and in the same time trying to shoot the video :). Most of the times I can step off the wheel without catching it with my hands, but holding it with my foot. Also significantly less times was forced  to come off the wheel during the turns  

12 hours ago, HETPE3B said:

WOW. You are super fast learner. It took me almost 7-8 hours to get to where you are. (probably 3-4 hours a day) 

Damn :blink: you are riding real good.  What's up with all these quick learning newbs?  It took me ages to learn.  Are you guys all like retired circus performers or something?  :angry:  Check out these videos (not mine) as well:

Next video posted will be entitled "My 10 month old baby riding InMotion V8 after 2 minutes!"  <_<

6 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Damn :blink: you are riding real good.  What's up with all these quick learning newbs?  It took me ages to learn.  Are you guys all like retired circus performers or something?  :angry:  Check out these videos as well:

Next video posted will be entitled "My 10 month old baby riding InMotion V8 after 2 minutes!"  <_<

My four year old boy looks very interested, maybe I should see how fast he gets it?

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Damn :blink: you are riding real good.  What's up with all these quick learning newbs?  It took me ages to learn.  Are you guys all like retired circus performers or something?  :angry:  Check out these videos as well:

3 days??I was barely riding in a straight line (all sweating) on my 3rd day. You are going way to fast and doing jumps, sharp turns and all in just 3 days..seriously, what's wrong with you fast learners. I hate my body now. LOL 

i think the record for youngest EUC rider might be a 5 year old girl that I've seen a video of riding.  :thumbup:  If @Scatcat you can get your four year old to ride, it might be a new world record?

I'm just waiting for the next video in the series "My wife gave birth on the InMotion V8 riding to the hospital!"

10 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I did notice an Inmotion V3 in the video. Maybe they were new to the V8 but not entirely new to EUCs (if the V3 can be called that).

I've never seen a V3 in real life but I assume it's basically a better designed hoverboard with the wheels between the feet. I'd guess one corners the V3 flat instead of leaning. I suppose one could make it lean into corners, with some wobble.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I've never seen a V3 in real life but I assume it's basically a better designed hoverboard with the wheels between the feet. I'd guess one corners the V3 flat instead of leaning. I suppose one could make it lean into corners, with some wobble.

Getting on and off is easier, turning isn't. With two wheels you either turn slowly staying flat, or push it up on one wheel and turn very tightly. On a single wheel the difference between slow and fast turning is almost a linear dependency on how much you lean, on the dual wheel it's two entirely different types of turning.

So trying the dual wheel again while waiting for my spare motor and board, I realised the experience is so different it is like a totally different kind of vehicle.

I can say I prefer a single wheel any day of the week.

Archived