wobbles

novazeus

so a couple days ago i decided to give my wheels a little exercise. started with the 9bot1e+, then switched to 9bot1s2 and i noticed wobbling. since beginning to learn, i never had wobbles, except for a very short distance i attributed to my feet being to far back on the pedals and once i repositioned my feet, they went away. so i checked the tire pressure and it was down to like 46 psi, so i pumped it back up to 54psi. still got wobbles. so i thought, maybe this is the leg tiredness people have talked about because i hadn’t been on the wheels everyday. then i took the 9bot1s1 out, and no wobbles. then the ks-16s, no wobbles. just the 9bot1s2. my feet are positioned exactly the same way as the s1. if it were leg tiredness, i would think this would happen with the other wheels, especially the s1 which is identical except for speed and range reduction. i’ve noticed spinning the wheel by hand, the s2 is different then the s1. the s2 doesn’t have that may miles on it and has been lightly used but i suppose something like an axle bolt(i have no idea what the guts look like) could have loosened.

these wobbles start around ten mph. very noticeable. not fun to ride.

@novazeus I believe that each wheel has its own "pattern" for micro-adjustments required to keep your wheel perfectly balanced. Our brains get used to our wheels and their unique patterns - that's why many new riders experience this wobble effect in the beginning, and the problem disappears with gaining experience. Some wheels may have radically different "patterns" than others - and it takes time to adjust our reflexes. For example, I feel very awkward when switching between MTen3 and V5F+ when I ride one for a relatively long time, and it takes at least a few hours of riding to get my reflexes re-adjusted. Try riding your S2 exclusively for several days - if the wobble eventually disappears, than I'm probably right :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, trya said:

@novazeus I believe that each wheel has its own "pattern" for micro-adjustments required to keep your wheel perfectly balanced. Our brains get used to our wheels and their unique patterns - that's why many new riders experience this wobble effect in the beginning, and the problem disappears with gaining experience. Some wheels may have radically different "patterns" than others - and it takes time to adjust our reflexes. For example, I feel very awkward when switching between MTen3 and V5F+ when I ride one for a relatively long time, and it takes at least a few hours of riding to get my reflexes re-adjusted. Try riding your S2 exclusively for several days - if the wobble eventually disappears, than I'm probably right :) 

i never had the wobbles before with any wheel. of the ninebots, i’ve ridden it more than any of my wheels, and never a hint of wobbles. i’m positive it’s not me. the s1’s and s2’s are identical wheels, just the s1 has been detuned to 12.5 mph as opposed to 15 mph. i can get on the s1, no wobbles, switch to s2, same foot position, and wobbles. it just started a couple of days ago. i started riding and learning on 5 different wheels, from s1 to 18s. i have no transition period from one to another because i’m riding different wheels daily. the 18s is my favorite although i wish it was 30 pounds lighter like the s1. it’s gotta be something mechanical in the wheel or motor. my worst wheel for comfort is the darn 16s just because where the edge of the upper pads hit my ankle bones. that one is gonna need some real modifications with padding. like if i had another s2, i’m sure it wouldn’t wobble. all padding is stripped from all my wheels now except the ninebot pads i added to all. the reason i’m posting this is to warn other people, it could be mechanical. like i’m on my third month now of riding and never had wobbles, so from what i’ve read, wobbles have been attributed to new riders, u wouldn’t think it would show up on one wheel identical almost to another wheel, threemonths down the road. i’m sorry, but that defies logic. like my car salesman trying to jam a 24 thread per inch screw into a 32 thread per inch nut on my touareg license plate holder and screwing up everything. the s2 is making funny noises now it didn’t make when it was newer, so maybe a stick or something got wedged in it. i’m gonna take them out for a spin again and see if the wobble is still there. i’ll shoot a video comparing the s1 to the s2.

20180115_173418_resized.thumb.jpg.366bd4c341bce8eb97afb7f3e082ca96.jpg

Edited by novazeus

Is it just me or do others think @novazeus stands really close to the shell? In those videos and also some pictures of the 16s on his flickr account, he's tucked in really hard.  I have a 16s and I've never been worried about the bottom of the main pads, never feel them. I'm not saying this is the reason for the wobble, as you stand that close on every wheel.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

so stupid, typical government. rollerblades is a trade name, sb inline skating, but what about regular roller skates, are they outlawed at the local park intended for our youths. asinine! i should go back there and tear up the park with my 18s and when the cops come to yell at me, show them their stupid sign. u were so explicit in what u were banning, i figured electric unicycles were permitted.

i would so do that but their ratty dog park has fleas.

6D7548D3-9D50-4E2B-BDA3-B22FE5E90D0C.jpeg.3b15b3799627bdf4e26b0279d1452079.jpeg

Edited by novazeus

44 minutes ago, novazeus said:

s1 vs s2 wobble test.

2018-03-22_05-53-03Screenshot_20180322-165611Screenshot_20180322-170153

Very good demonstration of the differences in the wheels.  I could clearly see a slight wobble in the S2.

What struck me was the difference in the sound of the motors.  The S2 had a much louder sounding motor, sounded much more powerful than the S1, which was almost silent.

Have you lifted the S2 and let it run up to top speed and cutoff, and looked at the tire while spinning to see if ii spins smoothly?  Careful, lot of power there.

Maybe stop running into the gate would help.^_^

Great videos, very clear and well made.

13 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Very good demonstration of the differences in the wheels.  I could clearly see a slight wobble in the S2.

What struck me was the difference in the sound of the motors.  The S2 had a much louder sounding motor, sounded much more powerful than the S1, which was almost silent.

Have you lifted the S2 and let it run up to top speed and cutoff, and looked at the tire while spinning to see if ii spins smoothly?  Careful, lot of power there.

Maybe stop running into the gate would help.^_^

Great videos, very clear and well made.

yeah i did all that and nice a smooth like it was balance but definitely a difference in motors. i’ll video me dry spiining both by hand in a little while. Bob and i have to go check and see if the coyotes killed anything last night and hopefully i can kill one or more of them.

here. i definitely have some jacked legs for an almost 64 year old man.

it’s hard to tell but other than the bottom of my boots, i’m not in contact with the wheel, but if i do contact the wheel, it  is right on the point of my ankle bone and that hard bottom egde of kingsong’s pad. u can see in the photo my foot position with my pants legs up. 

foot postion

• Like 1

So, on the 16s, why don't you try shifting your feet outboard a little, so your ankles don't touch.    There will be more scope for wobble, but it frees you up to increase your turning repertoire. It seems like you're trying to grip the wheel, which is not recommended for straight and level flight.

Nothing sounds off to me, when you spin your wheels, sorry.

57 minutes ago, Smoother said:

So, on the 16s, why don't you try shifting your feet outboard a little, so your ankles don't touch.    There will be more scope for wobble, but it frees you up to increase your turning repertoire. It seems like you're trying to grip the wheel, which is not recommended for straight and level flight.

Nothing sounds off to me, when you spin your wheels, sorry.

u need to turn up ur volume. there’s obviously a difference in the sound of these two wheels. i’m more concerned with ur hearing now, than these wheels, seriously. 

ya, i could stand on the edges of the pedals but when something does touch the wheel, it will be my ankles. on the 16s, in that video, nothing except the bottoms of my feet are touching the wheel, i’m not gripping the wheel at all. how about a video of u showing me how it’s done. if ur short, ur ankle bone will be below the pad probably, if taller than 6 feet, ur ankle bone will be in the field of the pad. big difference than falling on the edge. 

it’s not just u, it’s a lot of people. i don’t understand why, when somebody criticizes a product, like somebody says, “i don’t like my apple iphone x” other people jump in and criticize the person that said that. like, they made the phone. unbelievable. i’ve got 5 different frigging wheels. how hard is it to understand that i could be built anatomically different from u. show me a picture of ur ankle in relationship to the 16s. it is what it is. it just doesn’t fit me. their app is dogshit. their factory customer support is dogshit. their website is dogshit. their chargers suck. and i still can’t fully charge the batteries on the 18s. i’m just in a different world when it comes to building things. 

why don’t all people wear a size 12 shoe like me. if ur foot is smaller just stuff socks in the toe. if ur foot is bigger, just cut off the front part of the shoe. i mean duh. some people havehigh arches, some have flat feet. my new touareg, has an adjustable steering wheel that doesn’t go low enough for me, just like the previous two volkswagens i’ve owned. the germans think their shit is correct, i disagree. i’ll deal with it. my last two trucks, a 2012 and the 2015 had remote start, this vw has a lot more gobbly gook, but no remote starter.

Edited by novazeus

5 hours ago, novazeus said:

here. i definitely have some jacked legs for an almost 64 year old man.

it’s hard to tell but other than the bottom of my boots, i’m not in contact with the wheel, but if i do contact the wheel, it  is right on the point of my ankle bone and that hard bottom egde of kingsong’s pad. u can see in the photo my foot position with my pants legs up. 

foot postion

IMHO, no parts of your legs or feet should be touching the wheel except during turning maneuvers, and only then should your upper shin area be touching.

Every wheel behaves differently. So just because you use the identical foot position on both wheels does not mean that your ride will be the same.

Unless the axle is loose or some other catastrophic failure is in play, all wobbles are induced the rider not the wheel.

Since you ride with your feet touching the wheel, I think that's the culprit. 

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

IMHO, no parts of your legs or feet should be touching the wheel except during turning maneuvers, and only then should your upper shin area be touching.

Every wheel behaves differently. So just because you use the identical foot position on both wheels does not mean that your ride will be the same.

Unless the axle is loose or some other catastrophic failure is in play, all wobbles are induced the rider not the wheel.

Since you ride with your feet touching the wheel, I think that's the culprit. 

obviously u didn’t read my posts or watch the videos. the s1 and the s2 are virtually identical wheels. i’ll bet u whatever u wanna bet, that if i rode a new s2 that wasn’t screwed up, it wouldn’t wobble. u think all of a sudden after 18 miles of riding this wheel with no wobbles, somehow i’ve changed my foot position on just this wheel, to cause wobbles, when i’ve never had wobbles before? puleeze, that makes zero sense. i’m presuming these wheel axles ride in bearings. if they do, that’s probably what’s wrong, or an axle nut. honestly idk but i do know, it’s not operator error. the wobble seems to star around ten mph. could be a loosening axle nut. i just haven’t opened these wheels up yet. so far the advice i’ve gotten is worthless. i know it’s mechanical, not me. if it were me, i would have had wobbles before and i would have it on an identical wheel like the s. u gotta be deaf not to hear the differnce between the two wheels or ur just trolling. the only way my upper shin could touch and not my ankle bone on my ks-16s, would be going to rehabs bone doc and having him grind down my ankle.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

here’s a close up. none of my boot except my sole istouching the wheel. u can seethe gap. the arrowpoints to my ankle bone. how farout hanging off the edge of the pedals do u think my foot would have to be for my shin to touch before my ankle bone. my feet are already more on the outside of the pedals than anybody elses i’ve seen since i started studying this stuff. 

take a picture of ur ankle, unless ur modest.

40256134904_8af7a18308_b.jpg

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, novazeus said:

look at this guy. his feet and legs certainly look tighter to the wheel than i do mine.

26093129937_369b955206_b.jpg

It's an optical illusion :P I guess my point is no parts of your legs/feet should be gripping the wheel. If they gently touch periodically as you ride, all is OK.

Sorry if I've missed parts of this thread. If it's not you than it's obviously the wheel. I've never heard of case where the motor axle is damaged such that it's ride-able yet induces wobbles somehow.

Contact your dealer for help or open the wheel and start digging or throw it away. I can't think of another option or anything that someone on this Forum could say that would preclude my three suggestions.

Good luck.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's an optical illusion :P I guess my point is no parts of your legs/feet should be gripping the wheel. If they gently touch periodically as you ride, all is OK.

Sorry if I've missed parts of this thread. If it's not you than it's obviously the wheel. I've never heard of case where the motor axle is damaged such that it's ride-able yet induces wobbles somehow.

Contact your dealer for help or open the wheel and start digging or throw it away. I can't think of another option or anything that someone on this Forum could say that would preclude my three suggestions.

Good luck.

do the axles ride on bearings? why were u shimming ur monster.? could there be an axle nut that needs tightening? if anybody has experience with an s2 or s1, pls chime in. 

this just started all of a sudden. only this wheel. if nobody has any experience with mechanical wobbles, i’ll figure it out.

on my ks-16s, yeah, my ankle bone gently touches right on a big ass vein, like gently touching ur elbow funny bone. i just have big boney feet and ankles. my heel bone wears a hole in every pair of shoes i’ve ever bought.

summer is close, if Bob hasn’t stolen all my flip flops, i’ll probably be switching to those soon anyway. the thinner soles of the flip flops should help the ks problem. the s2 will still wobble until i fix it.

• Like 1