wobbles

novazeus

i’m trying to figure out a way to leave my new touareg running and locked up for like twenty minutes so Bob can have ac whilei run in costco or sam’s. so i’m on these vw forums looking for suggestions like others with dogs in floridaare. so this jackass pipes in how bad it is for the engine ad how u shouldn’t leave ur dog in the car becausethe ebgine could stop blah blah bullshit. 

most people go to forums to learn knowledge about some product and a problem they might be having with it and once they learn what theywant, they drop out. with these wheels, because of their zero support, they certainly make u forum dependent, until u figure out the info gleaned is worthless.

like if u don’t know how to reprogram a 2016 vw touareg tdi lux to be able to lock it while running, then stfu.

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

do the axles ride on bearings? why were u shimming ur monster.? could there be an axle nut that needs tightening? if anybody has experience with an s2 or s1, pls chime in. 

this just started all of a sudden. only this wheel. if nobody has any experience with mechanical wobbles, i’ll figure it out.

on my ks-16s, yeah, my ankle bone gently touches right on a big ass vein, like gently touching ur elbow funny bone. i just have big boney feet and ankles. my heel bone wears a hole in every pair of shoes i’ve ever bought.

summer is close, if Bob hasn’t stolen all my flip flops, i’ll probably be switching to those soon anyway. the thinner soles of the flip flops should help the ks problem. the s2 will still wobble until i fix it.

Monster Monster shims were tightened (I wasn't adding shims) to reduce front-to-back looseness. This has nothing to do with wobbles.

I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to EUCs. Maybe one of the EUC old-timers with deep knowledge of Ninebot mechanics will chime in here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, novazeus said:

here’s a close up. none of my boot except my sole istouching the wheel. u

Well you must have ankle cancer then, if nothing but the bottom of your feet touch the wheel and your ankles still hurt while riding it..

And I didn't say your wheels sound the same to me, I said I didn't hear any problems.  

I have nothing more to add to either of these issues.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, novazeus said:

idk, maybe a bad bearing.

The S2 is a lot louder and different sounding than the S1 when spun by hand, but it doesn't sound like it has a bad bearing, it just sounds different.

I don't remember ever reading about a bad bearing on a ninebot, only a kingsong that got some rope wrapped around the axle and damaged the bearing.

That wobble on the S2 looks not very big, but it obviously bothers you.

In my previous response I wasn't talking about spinning by hand.  (although that's a good start)  Turn on the wheel and pick it up a few inches off the ground and let it spin up to full speed until it turns off.  See if it starts shaking and look at the tire to see if it is not seated on the rim properly.  Maybe if it arrived flat , the tire might have a flat spot.

In the videos, the S1 tire spins smoothly, S2 hard to tell, but the tire doesn't look as smooth.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

The S2 is a lot louder and different sounding than the S1 when spun by hand, but it doesn't sound like it has a bad bearing, it just sounds different.

I don't remember ever reading about a bad bearing on a ninebot, only a kingsong that got some rope wrapped around the axle and damaged the bearing.

That wobble on the S2 looks not very big, but it obviously bothers you.

In my previous response I wasn't talking about spinning by hand.  (although that's a good start)  Turn on the wheel and pick it up a few inches off the ground and let it spin up to full speed until it turns off.  See if it starts shaking and look at the tire to see if it is not seated on the rim properly.  Maybe if it arrived flat , the tire might have a flat spot.

In the videos, the S1 tire spins smoothly, S2 hard to tell, but the tire doesn't look as smooth.

i did power on the wheel and lift it off the ground as i said i did what u said previously. 

if the s1 and the s2 are the same wheels except for the circuitry or software detuning the s1, they should sound identical when spun by hand. if there’s a different motor in each that could be a difference. specs say they are identical. both 500 watt motors.

unlike many on this forum that received their wheel package, ripped open the box and run outside and jump on a wheel with a flat tire, i’m a grown ass man that knows to check the tire pressure on everything, including his new touareg, that went thru the dealer’s 128 point inspection but still had the tires underinflated, even though the vehicle has a tire pressure monitoring system. i’m a building contractor. i assume humans are idiots.

the s2 has 19 miles on it. so 18 miles, no wobbles, and all of a sudden, wobbles.

the wobble in the video isn’t very visible but definitely felt and the more outward my feet are positioned the more noticeable the s2 wobble would be, the s1 would show no wobble. if it’s a bad bearing, it probably wouldn’t show up under power and not loaded.

like i said, i’ve read this forum a lot. i didn’t expect to get any constructive advice, i posted this to warn other people. don’t necessarily listen to the “experts” on this forum that automatically say “oh, ur new, everybody gets wobbles”. that’s not a true statement. i didn’t until this mechanical failure. so some poor smuck thinks he just needs to ride more, and he crashes because of a mechanical wobble.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Monster Monster shims were tightened (I wasn't adding shims) to reduce front-to-back looseness. This has nothing to do with wobbles.

I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to EUCs. Maybe one of the EUC old-timers with deep knowledge of Ninebot mechanics will chime in here.

everybody is a newbie with these things. i could contact segway but i’m sure they would be zero help. 

my guess is, it’s a bearing problem. i have lots of experience with bearings from inline skating and rc helis. i’m sure these wheel makers use the cheapest junk bearings they can find. just because a bearing is rated the same, the same size, doesn’t mean it’s the same quality. if the races wore prematurely because of user error, like i said, i inflate the tire over max pressure, instead of almost minimum pressure segway recommends, regardless of ur weight, that would put extra stress on the balls and races of the bearings. if i’m right, the bearings won’t magically fix themselves. they will continue to get worse. that extra noise on the s2 could be from bearing failure but maybe not. if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck. when i diagnose and hopefully be able to repair it, i’ll post the results, and i’m sure there will be people on this forum still thinking it’s foot position.

2 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

You sure hate all your stuff, Zeus. 

i love Bob and my animals, i have zero emotions when it comes to man made junk. it either is correct or it isn’t. too many people have emotions for material things. this forum is a good example of that. the apple forums too. ford, chevy, etc etc. idiot humans get tattoos to show their brand loyalty. 

i hate tattoos, too.

9 hours ago, novazeus said:

i’m trying to figure out a way to leave my new touareg running and locked up for like twenty minutes so Bob can have ac whilei run in costco or sam’s. so i’m on these vw forums looking for suggestions like others with dogs in floridaare. so this jackass pipes in how bad it is for the engine ad how u shouldn’t leave ur dog in the car becausethe ebgine could stop blah blah bullshit. 

While I couldn't give a toss about the engine I do care for Bob. This guy is not taking bullshit, he is taking sense. Never ever leave your dog unattended in your vehicle. Especially in Florida! You appear to have an inordinate amount of bad luck with falling machinery. With that in mind why wouldn't your engine quit 1 minute after you leave Bob alone allowing him to overheat and likely die in the following 19 minutes?

Edited by WARPed1701D

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

While I couldn't give a toss about the engine I do care for Bob. This guy is not taking bullshit, he is taking sense. Never ever leave your dog unattended in your vehicle. Especially in Florida! You appear to have an inordinate amount of bad luck with falling machinery. With that in mind why wouldn't your engine quit 1 minute after you leave Bob alone allowing him to overheat and likely die in the following 19 minutes?

go sit in ur car if u own one or can borrow one, air conditioned it on a hot day, and sit in it for 19 minutes and see if u die.

i’m not worried about Bob, i’m much more capable of taking care of animals than anybody on this forum, reading this forum, etc. including veterinarians. i did cure cancer, so far at least. i’m more worried about some idiot goody two shoes, thinking Bob was left in a hot car, breaking my glass, and Bob jumping out and going looking for me and getting hit by a car. 

i doctor and take care of over a hundred animals. that guy was an idiot. coulda been u, for all i know.

i  own probably waay more machinery than u do. i also am a lot older and have built and done a lot more in life than u. if ur lucky, u might reach 64 years old. i have a few more days.

btw, i live in a non converted cargo container. go sit in one of those for 19 minutes in the hot florida sun, u probably will die. 

if u live in a house, go in ur attic for 19 minutes. u won’t die. i owned an hvac company btw.

Edited by novazeus

for the “experts” . if u are new, i’m warning u, especially if u buy a used wheel, the wobbles might be the wheel and not because ur legs aren’t used to riding. like i’ve said a hundred times, at least, i never had “wobbles”. so new rider “wobbles” as far as i’m concerned, are bullshit.

no wobbles s1.

wobbles s2

Edited by novazeus

10 minutes ago, novazeus said:

for the “experts” . if u are new, i’m warning u, especially if u buy a used wheel, the wobbles might be the wheel and not because ur legs aren’t used to riding. like i’ve said a hundred times, at least, i never had “wobbles”. so new rider “wobbles” as far as i’m concerned, are bullshit.

You're seriously saying that the wobbles ALL new riders experience are bullshit? Like, everyone is just making it up? 

• Like 2

@kasenutty re read my post:

. like i’ve said a hundred times, at least, i never had “wobbles”. so new rider “wobbles” as far as i’m concerned, are bullshit.

that part, “as far as i’m concerned” means “wobbles caused by inexperience are unverifiable by me”. i never experienced them. wobbles caused by the wheel on the other hand is evidenced by my videos.

if u have videos of u wobbling on ur wheel, pls share.

17 minutes ago, trya said:

@novazeus do you have anybody who can ride your wheels? if the same happens to another rider - it may prove that the wheel is at fault. I just remember that once we rode with @Cloud together, I tried his KS14 for the first time (my wheel was MCM2S , also 14" ) - and had a terrible wobble at higher speed  every time I tried to accelerate. Even @Cloud was surprised - he didn't experience anything like that on the same wheel.

i just shot those videos back to back. did u see wobbles with the s1? did u see wobbles with the s2? if u r familiar with the wheels, u would know they are virtually identical, except for top speed and range. same motor power, same battery capacity, same tire, same tire pressure and the biggest clue is, i’ve ridden it 19 plus miles and never experience any wobbles with it before.

Edited by novazeus

50 minutes ago, novazeus said:

go sit in ur car if u own one or can borrow one, air conditioned it on a hot day, and sit in it for 19 minutes and see if u die.

i’m not worried about Bob, i’m much more capable of taking care of animals than anybody on this forum, reading this forum, etc. including veterinarians. i did cure cancer, so far at least. i’m more worried about some idiot goody two shoes, thinking Bob was left in a hot car, breaking my glass, and Bob jumping out and going looking for me and getting hit by a car. 

i doctor and take care of over a hundred animals. that guy was an idiot. coulda been u, for all i know.

i  own probably waay more machinery than u do. i also am a lot older and have built and done a lot more in life than u. if ur lucky, u might reach 64 years old. i have a few more days.

btw, i live in a non converted cargo container. go sit in one of those for 19 minutes in the hot florida sun, u probably will die. 

if u live in a house, go in ur attic for 19 minutes. u won’t die. i owned an hvac company btw.

You should also be worried that someone could steal the car, if Bob would let them.  Big as Bob is, that is highly unlikely.

I'm not doubting you or your riding.  I can see the wobble on the S2.  It's a bit of a mystery.  One thing I would do is lay the S2 down and rotate the wheel slowly, observing the intersection of the rim and the bead (both sides).  I would be looking for the distance the tire is set into the rim to be the same the whole way around.  Another thing is to turn the wheel on and pick it up as level as possible, then slowly increase the tilt/speed, and see how much the wheel bobs up and down.  They all do, a bit.  Your S2 might be more severe than most.  Failing an interesting observation in either of those tests, I can't think what it could be.

When I worked in the Texas oil fields, there were times when all we could do was wait, sometimes all night, for some other crew to do its work.  There were many a day and night that I would sit in a diesel pickup, engine running, A/C on. Running out of fuel was the only potential problem ( no, I did lock us out one night.  That's was f..ing annoying at 3am on a dripping humid night).  I have no doubt your Tourag would also idle for many hours without a problem, so 20 minutes wouldn't be a problem for the car, or the dog.  However, as you stated, every other goodie two shoes would want to do something for your "poor" dog and it will cause you no end of hassle.  So, while I have no doubt that Bob would be in no climatic stress, it might not be worth the hassle.

Additionally, you may be breaking one or more laws.  Here, for example, it's illegal to idle a vehicle other than for normal traffic conditions.  It's mostly about pollution, but also noise pollution. And there might be a specific animal welfare law you would be breaking, even though Bob would actually cooler than you; traipsing across that hot parking lot.

Steve has a good point about theft.  If they determine Bob is not aggressive.  Theft of the car and theft of Bob.  I bet he's an expensive bread.

@novazeus, I may be missing something as i looked thru the thread quickly, but i actually didnt notice much of a wobble on your S2. Which direction is it wobbling? like nodding up and down and from side to side? or doing a figure 8 like a bike tire somethines? Ive experienced all kinds of wobbles on my 14 inch kingsongs and gotway Msuper, and at some point even posted about 3-4 different types of wobbles and what i thought the reasons could be.  In any case, unever tires could cause wobbles, so can imperfect rims. And this could show up any time all of a suddent after 18 miles because you hit something and damaged the tire or rim. At some point Kingsong used to tell me my wobbles had to do with the then current software, which i didnt really believe was the actual reason. Also, wobbles sometimes are very dependent on the speed and can come out at higher speeds. it is possible you were sparing your wheel for the first 18 miles with slow speeds? Is the frequency or amplitude of the wobbles increases with speed? i guess it should if it is in fact the bearing/tire/rim issue.

36 minutes ago, steve454 said:

You should also be worried that someone could steal the car, if Bob would let them.  Big as Bob is, that is highly unlikely.

i’ve not been apart from Bob since i took him from his litter on dec 3rd 2016 when he was 8 weeks old. we don’t go grocery shopping often, maybe twice a month, if that. mostly for his whole turkey breast i’m now buying at costco. my 2015 chevy one ton diesel truck had an remote start on it and i left him in it with the motor running and the ac on and parked as much as i could in the shade and in a location where if somebody was trying to screw around with my truck or Bob it would be noticed by passerbys. never had a problem. usually when i return to the truck, humans are ogling Bob with admiration. he does like to sit in the drivers seat while i’m in the store, so with the truck running and him in the driver’s seat, that might confuse humans.

@Smoother ha, not worried about breaking any laws. i’m a career felon just to fight my cancer. just don’t put a dog in an overhead on a airplane. i wouldn’t want to travel in the cargo hold of an airplane either, but humans put their dogs in there too.

28 minutes ago, Cloud said:

@novazeus, I may be missing something as i looked thru the thread quickly, but i actually didnt notice much of a wobble on your S2. Which direction is it wobbling? like nodding up and down and from side to side? or doing a figure 8 like a bike tire somethines? Ive experienced all kinds of wobbles on my 14 inch kingsongs and gotway Msuper, and at some point even posted about 3-4 different types of wobbles and what i thought the reasons could be.  In any case, unever tires could cause wobbles, so can imperfect rims. And this could show up any time all of a suddent after 18 miles because you hit something and damaged the tire or rim. At some point Kingsong used to tell me my wobbles had to do with the then current software, which i didnt really believe was the actual reason. Also, wobbles sometimes are very dependent on the speed and can come out at higher speeds. it is possible you were sparing your wheel for the first 18 miles with slow speeds? Is the frequency or amplitude of the wobbles increases with speed? i guess it should if it is in fact the bearing/tire/rim issue.

it wobbles side to side and i’m guessing the wobbles start getting bad around ten mph. and no, i’ve been riding it the same since new. i’m posting videos of me riding all 6 of my wheels as soon as youtube gets done processing. it would be nice if there were drawings or blueprints of an s1 or s2 somewhere or a video of a teardown. i’ve never had a reason to open one up. could be something as simple as a loosening axle nut? idk without looking. 

i don’t think i could have damaged anything because the wheels are on a closed track, my driveway. the ks-18s is the only pasture euc,, i might break something on it, but my driveway is smooth, a little exposed aggregate, but no potholes. 

look at the s2 video while i’m wearing shorts and boat shoes. the tree shadows make the wobbling harder to detect but u should be able to see it. gripping the wheel tighter, makes the wobbles less, still there but as u can imagine, harder for it to oscillate when it’s squeezed between my legs.

six wheels, three virtually identical, one of the three just started wobbling. ya must be me.

oh yeah, wearing thin soled boat shoes, ie topsiders, my ankle bone is lower so it doesn’t bump the edge of the ks-16s pad. so it will be my barefoot wheel i guess.

Edited by novazeus

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

I'm not doubting you or your riding.  I can see the wobble on the S2.  It's a bit of a mystery.  One thing I would do is lay the S2 down and rotate the wheel slowly, observing the intersection of the rim and the bead (both sides).  I would be looking for the distance the tire is set into the rim to be the same the whole way around.  Another thing is to turn the wheel on and pick it up as level as possible, then slowly increase the tilt/speed, and see how much the wheel bobs up and down.  They all do, a bit.  Your S2 might be more severe than most.  Failing an interesting observation in either of those tests, I can't think what it could be.

When I worked in the Texas oil fields, there were times when all we could do was wait, sometimes all night, for some other crew to do its work.  There were many a day and night that I would sit in a diesel pickup, engine running, A/C on. Running out of fuel was the only potential problem ( no, I did lock us out one night.  That's was f..ing annoying at 3am on a dripping humid night).  I have no doubt your Tourag would also idle for many hours without a problem, so 20 minutes wouldn't be a problem for the car, or the dog.  However, as you stated, every other goodie two shoes would want to do something for your "poor" dog and it will cause you no end of hassle.  So, while I have no doubt that Bob would be in no climatic stress, it might not be worth the hassle.

Additionally, you may be breaking one or more laws.  Here, for example, it's illegal to idle a vehicle other than for normal traffic conditions.  It's mostly about pollution, but also noise pollution. And there might be a specific animal welfare law you would be breaking, even though Bob would actually cooler than you; traipsing across that hot parking lot.

Steve has a good point about theft.  If they determine Bob is not aggressive.  Theft of the car and theft of Bob.  I bet he's an expensive bread.

i did all the obvious tests on the wheel when the wobbl first presented itself a couple of days ago. like i said before, when the wobble presented itself, and i’ve been busy trading vehicles, i might have missed a day or two riding, so i thought to myself, this must be what the “experts” are talking about, my legs have falling out of being conditioned. that’s why i grabbed the other wheels and rode all of them to prove to myself it wasn’t some magical leg conditioning issue. i’m not saying people new to this activity might have wobbles because of their leg conditioning, i just never experienced that, at all. and logically, if it was gonna happen, it should have happened in the first hundred or so wheel miles, not later.

• Like 1