wobbles

novazeus

Just now, kour said:

every so often i wobble, but i don't think it's due to my feet placement. i think it's a combo of how much force is being applied to either side of the wheel, and also whether i'm leaning forward or backward. when i mess around with crouching down while riding about 50% of the time i start wobbling

i posted 6, count em 6 videos of me riding every wheel i own, back to back. only one started wobbling out of the blue. it’s not me, there’s something wrong mechanically, electronically with this wheel.

u gotta look at the videos. never had a problem with this wheel until just recently. it’s identical to my two s1’s only 2.5 mph faster. the s1’s are smooth as silk, and less noisy.

probably can’t send it to segway for warranty because s2’s aren’t sold in the states. 

maybe running in reverse tightens the axle bolt, i have no idea, just guessing. i’m gonna ride it backwards for awhile and see if it cures itself or starts wobbling going backwards.

not a big deal. i have 5 other wheels and when they ship me my z10 and v10f, it will be work just getting them all in the rotation. just a brain tease. 

eventually, i’ll crack it open and try to figure it out, if it doesnt heal itself.

• Upvote 1

I have heard of some people experiencing wobbles due to tire balance variations.  It sounds like it might be what could be happening in your case.  If I recall correctly (and that is a big if), I think the person deflated their tire, rotated it on the rim, and repositioned it carefully to make sure the inner tube was seated properly, and reinflated it.  It might involve some disassembly though and fiddling around with the tire.  You could also try replacing the tire with a different one.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

yeah, that looks like waay too much work. 

i'm lucky so far, zero tire problems, but this forwards/backwards thing is puzzling. just rode it again both ways and definitely got wobbles in the forward position. just out of the blue.

so what holds the pedal mount on? some big axle bolt? what if that were loose half a thread?

idk, i'm guessing. i'm not guessing it wobbles and i know it's not operator error.

u know as they sit right now, my e+ is my cheapest wheel at $359 delivered. the two s1's with the optional side pads are at about $360 with fl sales tax delivered. all three of those wheels are quite the bargain. this darn s2 cost me $700 delivered.

@Cloud here's a photo of my foot position. i just have big feet i guess. 

2018-04-04_05-38-14

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yeah, that looks like waay too much work. 

i'm lucky so far, zero tire problems, but this forwards/backwards thing is puzzling. just rode it again both ways and definitely got wobbles in the forward position. just out of the blue.

so what holds the pedal mount on? some big axle bolt? what if that were loose half a thread?

idk, i'm guessing. i'm not guessing it wobbles and i know it's not operator error.

u know as they sit right now, my e+ is my cheapest wheel at $359 delivered. the two s1's with the optional side pads are at about $360 with fl sales tax delivered. all three of those wheels are quite the bargain. this darn s2 cost me $700 delivered.

@Cloud here's a photo of my foot position. i just have big feet i guess. 

2018-04-04_05-38-14

Foot position looks to be ok but the only way to know 100% it’s not that is to move them back by and inch or so and try riding 

59 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Foot position looks to be ok but the only way to know 100% it’s not that is to move them back by and inch or so and try riding 

i repeat, i have 5 other wheels. no wobbles. this one didn't until recently. two s1's are identical to the s2, no wobbles, smooth as glass.

the more rearward i move my feet  the more i'll have wobbles. the only experience with wobbles prior to this was a short run on my ks16s when my feet were too far back in the beginning of learning. 

foot position more forwards or backwards doesn't explain why the wheel only wobbles in the forward direction as stated by the tire rotation. flip it around and ride it against the tire rotation  and the wobble goes away. i'm not changing my foot position when i turn the wheel around. 

if i tried to ride it with my foot position more rearward in the forward position, the wobbles would be so bad, i'd crash.

Baby cows!  :efeeec645d:

Foot position looks okay to me.   I think I place my ankles just behind the centre of the wheel or just behind the pedal mount.  The pedal supports are attached with large nuts and two piece flanges (?) / inserts that act as anti-rotational pieces.  On my Ninebot One E+ they also use little metal alloy inserts to help lock the nut from turning after it is tightened.  If the pedal support gets loose you end up with what I call the wheel jitters where it clatters back and forth creating much vibration of the shell.  The control board is basically trying to balance, but the feedback is delayed since the shell which is attached to the pedals moves slightly independently from the motor axle.  I think I've only seen nuts loosen on Monsters due to metal fatigue of the anti-rotational inserts and Msupers.  I doubt that is causing the wobbles you are experiencing.

One option is to take the half shell off like in the video and bring the wheel to a bike shop to see if they can replace the tire for you with one you buy that is made for the Ninebot.  Or maybe get a quote from Ninebot/Segway to see what it costs to replace it for you.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

that's it. i'm done with this s2 for now.

just rode it forwards to my gate and back, it wobbling away. turned it around and rode it, and no wobbles, and i'm thinking to myself, i'll just ride it backwards  problem solved, and right at that moment i had a violent tiltback and chirp like i've never experienced. me in shorts with zero protection. 

i'm not riding it again until i disassemble it and figure out what's wrong, if i'm smart enough. 

i mean violent tiltback. like instantaneously.

busy day today. did a lab for my psa. who knows  tmrw i might be medicating heavy again and not doing anything.

Edited by novazeus

Just now, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe contact your seller to see what they can do for you.  Something doesn't sound right.  Maybe there is an issue with the control board not driving the motor smoothly?  Hard to say.  :confused1:

it was an ebay seller.

i doubt they'd do anything for me and s2's aren't sold in the states.

ya  it's weird for it to be fine one day, next day a bad case of the wobbles. almost makes me think ur right some electronic problem. pulsing f**ked up. 

if somebody wants a project, with a disclaimer from me that batman might try to kill u, make me an offer.

2018-04-04_07-18-12

did a couple of laps with my ks16s, what a difference. with the s2 acting up it's like going from a ford pinto to a mercedes.  pinto will get u there, but not fun.

that s2 has got some kinda problem,  under load, that needs fixing.

my s1's feel.like mercedes in comparison. slow mercedes.

Edited by novazeus

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, novazeus said:

thank you. 

i just took the tire down enough to easily squeeze it and unseat the bead all the way around and pumped it back up to 40 psi and voila, no more wobbles. just did an unprotected barefoot ride to my mailbox and hit tiltback at least twice, no more wobbles. 

yaay! this was driving me crazy and i did not want to do a tire change esp not knowing if that was the fix.

i knew if i kept bitching about this wobble somebody would have a suggestion and @Vik's wins the prize. 

i’m thinking since i kept the tire pressure high and i was storing this wheel in the back of my truck in the camper top thing, maybe heat cause a partial bead displacement. 

the s2 is back to perfect again. visually inspecting the bead and rim, nothing could be seen. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

yippee! this is what no wobbles looks like. such an easy fix. i guess with tubed tires the bead getting out of whack is easy.

the s2 is very quick at 50psi. 14.9 is definitely the max speed which is ok and makes the wheel very usable. 12.4 on the s1's, still nice smooth wheels, just takes longer to get there.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

yippee! this is what no wobbles looks like. such an easy fix. i guess with tubed tires the bead getting out of whack is easy.

the s2 is very quick at 50psi. 14.9 is definitely the max speed which is ok and makes the wheel very usable. 12.4 on the s1's, still nice smooth wheels, just takes longer to get there.

Watch that camera angle, please... I can see right up (down?) your pants leg!   :lol:

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist

6 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Watch that camera angle, please... I can see right up (down?) your pants leg!   :lol:

i’ll work on it. i’m so glad the wobble is gone i’m still in shock. it was driving me crazy not being able to figure it out. never really messed around with bicycle tires. i know about truing rims but no rim here. now i know. first thing i’ll do if a wheel doesn’t track right, is deflate, squeeze the tire from the rim and let it re-center itself and re-inflate.

i really love my little s2. lightweight, auto cutoff when lifted or falling over, very intuitive and just fast enough for short trips.

• Like 2

well dammit,  at least i know it’s a tire problem now. thought i had the wobbles fixed and i did, by deflating and re-inflating the tire but slowly the wobbles start coming back. idk if it’s lubricant or glue i see people putting on the tire bead but that’s my next step and see if that works. i just discovered the kenda tire on a ks14 has a 65psi max pressure and it’s the same size tire as the 9bot that has a 50psi max. so i’m wondering if anybody has made that swap?

Did you add lubricant before you put the air back in? (idk about glue...)

Maybe it's still not seated correctly...

Check the line near the rim on the sidewall. If everything is all 'even Steven' but it still wobbles, then the tire is probably defective... ?

Edited by RayRay

14 minutes ago, RayRay said:

Did you add lubricant before you put the air back in? (idk about glue...)

Maybe it's still not seated correctly...

Check the line near the rim on the sidewall. If everything is all 'even Steven' but it still wobbles, then the tire is probably defective... ?

i was just deflating and squeezing the tire to break the bead from the rim and re-inflating and it worked, temporarily. i just tried cleaning out the bead and using dawn in water as a lubricant and trying that. seems ok now. i'll have to see if it holds. it was down to 50% battery. i've got 46 miles on it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a s1 also which was modified by software to unlock the speed to s2 and then to 30 kph. I do get wobbling some times (not always) and was very interested in your experience/documentation. Both of the manuals for the s1 and s2 indicate setting tire pressure at 35 psi but you indicated setting it at 40 psi and the tire indicated max of 50 psi. What pressure are you setting the tire at? I know at one time my pressure was 27 and I was getting a lot of wobbling and also if my feet toe position is not equal. Curious about your comment.

-John

On 9/29/2019 at 10:39 PM, John Middleton said:

I have a s1 also which was modified by software to unlock the speed to s2 and then to 30 kph. I do get wobbling some times (not always) and was very interested in your experience/documentation. Both of the manuals for the s1 and s2 indicate setting tire pressure at 35 psi but you indicated setting it at 40 psi and the tire indicated max of 50 psi. What pressure are you setting the tire at? I know at one time my pressure was 27 and I was getting a lot of wobbling and also if my feet toe position is not equal. Curious about your comment.

-John

Not sure about all the new tires like the new 3” ones, but the 9bz10 is the only tire rated to carry a 200 pound man, idk maybe the monster tire is. If the tire is rated at say 175 pounds at 50 psi, that’s what it means. My s2 is max pressure 50 and I’ve got 55 in it right now, and if I was trying to whoa Bob on a leash, thereby adding weight by my braking action on the wheel, the sidewalls crumple and the wheel will wobble out from under me.

ask me how I know that.

I’m no expert rider or tire expert, but I do know if u overload a tire, u will get sidewall deflection, that can create a very dangerous situation, I know, I used to put in vault doors for living, they could really squash my big trailers tires.

• Like 1