wobbles

novazeus

charged the wobbler up and rode it a bit. the wobble is still there but it does seem to get better and worse during the ride. it’s almost like the axle nut could be loose? idk.

but while i was riding and thinking what a pain it was to ride that new s1 in learner mode, maybe it’s because i grew up at a golf course with degenerate gamblers and carnies, how fun it would be to go to a parking lot after hours and set up some cones and have s1 races. u could do it in learner mode which is really slow. riding that tiltback.

11 minutes ago, RayRay said:

I'm in Tampa, but I've changed my mind about cooling vests. (Evaporation cooling probably won't work here because it gets too humid.) :efee565ab0:

yeah i knew u were in tampa but native floridians, especially 4th generation like myself have adapted to the heat. people from up north usually are the ones that find the heat unbearable. sure glad i’m here than up north, especially now. i hate the cold. Bob loves it. may need to build him a walk in cooler.

6 minutes ago, novazeus said:

native floridians, especially 4th generation like myself have adapted to the heat.

Haven't adapted to hot or cold (SoCal native). The mild southern California climate beckons... :efee6b18f3:

21 minutes ago, RayRay said:

Haven't adapted to hot or cold (SoCal native). The mild southern California climate beckons... :efee6b18f3:

never been there. las vegas is the furthest west for me. that’s hot but it is a dry heat like a convection oven. i feel like u could die in las vegas from their heat. for the states, i think islamorado would be perfect.

17 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I just fixed slight wobbles in my msuper by calibrating it and straightening out the pedals, they were dipping down too much.   Much be worth a try...

i’ll give that a try. it was really bad at one point today, like dangerously bad. i’m starting to think it’s the tire. i may play with the pressures, like pump it up to 60 or 65 psi.

still have no idea why the s1’s freewheel so smooth and silent spinning them by hand and the s2 has much more resistance and noise. 

i use to spin my inline skates by hand to make sure the bearings were in top shape.

almost tempted to buy another s2 if i could find a steal on one.

14 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Have you got a video of the wheel when you lift it? 

It would be interesting to see how much oscillation there is... 

just came in from trying calibration and riding it, that didn’t help. 

i’ll shoot one tmrw. 

are there bearings holding the axles in these things?

Well, those vids are quite interesting.  I'm not sure what conclusion to draw except there is movement in the tires, and that's not as good as no movement.  When I pick up my wheels they shake as they rotate too.  I suspect everyone's do/does to some extent.  I think that balancing video might help some of us, or at least eliminate the shake.  I don't think balancing will stop the central rain grove of those tires, or the flat central rib on most tires, from wandering left to right as the wheel turns.  Whenever the contact patch of the tire is to the side of the center, there is a side load which will force the wheel to one side.  The more the deviation, the higher the force.  Move this force rapidly from one side of center to the other and back again, and there is a chance that it could be felt by the rider.  ALL JUST CONJECTURE, of course.

Edited by Smoother

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Well, those vids are quite interesting.  I'm not sure what conclusion to draw except there is movement in the tires, and that's not as good as no movement.  When I pick up my wheels they shake as they rotate too.  I suspect everyone's do/does to some extent.  I think that balancing video might help some of us, or at least eliminate the shake.  I don't think balancing will stop the central rain grove of those tires, or the flat central rib on most tires, from wandering left to right as the wheel turns.  Whenever the contact patch of the tire is to the side of the center, there is a side load which will force the wheel to one side.  The more the deviation, the higher the force.  Move this force rapidly from one side of center to the other and back again, and there is a chance that it could be felt by the rider.  ALL JUST CONJECTURE, of course.

yeah, it’s weird just to start like that all of a sudden. one day perfect, no crashes, nothing, next day wobbles and louder. always starts about ten mph and the wobble varies. sometimes just annoying and once, pretty violent. today i was riding the ks-16s all day. barefoot and flip flops. my ankle falls below the side pad and now ur really gonna think i’m a bitcher, but now without my ankle contacting the inside of my shin contacts more, and those pads aren’t soft. i just gotta put enough baby poop color furniture padding to make it soft. but after screwing around yesterday with the wobbling s2 and today the solid 16s, what a difference. the battery pack is hanging good too now.

43 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yeah, it’s weird just to start like that all of a sudden. one day perfect, no crashes, nothing, next day wobbles and louder. always starts about ten mph and the wobble varies. sometimes just annoying and once, pretty violent. today i was riding the ks-16s all day. barefoot and flip flops. my ankle falls below the side pad and now ur really gonna think i’m a bitcher, but now without my ankle contacting the inside of my shin contacts more, and those pads aren’t soft. i just gotta put enough baby poop color furniture padding to make it soft. but after screwing around yesterday with the wobbling s2 and today the solid 16s, what a difference. the battery pack is hanging good too now.

It's definitely odd that it has just started... The balancing aspect is very interesting though - it's something I'm playing with at the moment (time permitting). 

My Lhotz needs about 40gm to reduce the wobble - once l work out the final numbers, I'll make a video explaining what I find.

17 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It's definitely odd that it has just started... The balancing aspect is very interesting though - it's something I'm playing with at the moment (time permitting). 

My Lhotz needs about 40gm to reduce the wobble - once l work out the final numbers, I'll make a video explaining what I find.

cool.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:58 AM, novazeus said:

so a couple days ago i decided to give my wheels a little exercise. started with the 9bot1e+, then switched to 9bot1s2 and i noticed wobbling. since beginning to learn, i never had wobbles, except for a very short distance i attributed to my feet being to far back on the pedals and once i repositioned my feet, they went away. so i checked the tire pressure and it was down to like 46 psi, so i pumped it back up to 54psi. still got wobbles. so i thought, maybe this is the leg tiredness people have talked about because i hadn’t been on the wheels everyday. then i took the 9bot1s1 out, and no wobbles. then the ks-16s, no wobbles. just the 9bot1s2. my feet are positioned exactly the same way as the s1. if it were leg tiredness, i would think this would happen with the other wheels, especially the s1 which is identical except for speed and range reduction. i’ve noticed spinning the wheel by hand, the s2 is different then the s1. the s2 doesn’t have that may miles on it and has been lightly used but i suppose something like an axle bolt(i have no idea what the guts look like) could have loosened.

these wobbles start around ten mph. very noticeable. not fun to ride.

When I ride every day.. no wobbles. Ever. 

If I don’t ride for 3 weeks.. guaranteed wobbles until my legs are back in peak EUC condition. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

When I ride every day.. no wobbles. Ever. 

If I don’t ride for 3 weeks.. guaranteed wobbles until my legs are back in peak EUC condition. 

yeah that’s not it. i posted videos of me riding six different wheels back to back, only one wobbles the s2 which is the spitting image of the twins the two s1’s, 

i thought i had it figured out. running high pressure 60psi in the tire. but now i’m thing it wasn’t that at all, i may have ridden the wheel backwards.

here’s two videos from today a little while ago. first one in the tire direction way, power button in the front. second one moments later in reverse.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

i thought i had it figured out. running high pressure 60psi in the tire. but now i’m thing it wasn’t that at all, i may have ridden the wheel backwards.

here’s two videos from today a little while ago. first one in the tire direction way, power button in the front. second one moments later in reverse.

I think I know why you are wobbling.   Your feet are placed too much towards the front on the pedals . Move your feet back by a couple of inches. You must have changed your foot position at some point and got used to it. 

If this doesn’t work let someone else ride your wheel and compare notes 

23 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I think I know why you are wobbling.   Your feet are placed too much towards the front on the pedals . Move your feet back by a couple of inches. You must have changed your foot position at some point and got used to it. 

If this doesn’t work let someone else ride your wheel and compare notes 

ha, that’s funny, let someone else ride ur wheel. 

if i moved my feet back a couple of inches, my heels would be on the pedals.

no that’s not it. if u look at the two videos i just posted, my feet are in the same position. i own and ride 3 of these 14” ninebots, 2 s1’s and one s2. if u have ever seen one, u know they are identical, except the s1’s are detuned. the s2 is the only one after close to thirty miles on it, started wobbling. 

so i thought, i’ll calibrate it and see if that makes a difference, nope.

riding it opposite direction of the proper tire rotation cures it though. look at the videos. the first one is the proper direction and the wobbling is apparent, second video is seconds later in the reverse direction, no wobbles. 

it’s either axle nut, tire or motor.

13 minutes ago, novazeus said:

ha, that’s funny, let someone else ride ur wheel. 

if i moved my feet back a couple of inches, my heels would be on the pedals.

no that’s not it. if u look at the two videos i just posted, my feet are in the same position. i own and ride 3 of these 14” ninebots, 2 s1’s and one s2. if u have ever seen one, u know they are identical, except the s1’s are detuned. the s2 is the only one after close to thirty miles on it, started wobbling. 

so i thought, i’ll calibrate it and see if that makes a difference, nope.

riding it opposite direction of the proper tire rotation cures it though. look at the videos. the first one is the proper direction and the wobbling is apparent, second video is seconds later in the reverse direction, no wobbles. 

it’s either axle nut, tire or motor.

Are you saying the rear of your feet do not project beyond the pedal at all? They should somewhat...It’s great if you pinpointed the cause of the wobbles. I just know that in some wheels, putting your feet too much forward will create similar wobbles. Perhaps, in your case it’s different

Edited by Cloud

no my heels hang off the rear of the pedals on all 6 of my euc’s. only one started wobbling at thirty miles on the odometer. the other 5 do not. 

i never had “beginner” wobbles. thought i had a theory on that because advice given on this forum for newbies is lower tire pressure makes it easier to learn. i learned with my tire pressures on all of my wheels higher than the max pressure listed on the sidewalls. 

when i increased the tire pressure from 47 psi, some had leaked out, to 60 psi, the wobbles went away, but now i’m thinking i might have been riding it backwards.

look at the videos. if anything my feet are more forward in the second video with no wobbles. 

it has nothing to do with feet position, but if i moved my feet more rearward, all my wheels would wobble.

every so often i wobble, but i don't think it's due to my feet placement. i think it's a combo of how much force is being applied to either side of the wheel, and also whether i'm leaning forward or backward. when i mess around with crouching down while riding about 50% of the time i start wobbling