Plastic Welding?

20180217_140901.jpg.fa5b97bee8cd2d4342d7

Hey everyone, my MSuper V3s+ took a slight tumble down the side of a very large hill and hit a few trees, and rocks along the way.  Surprisingly, the exterior of the shell is no worse for the wear.  Some scratches and gouges as would be expected, but no cracking.  The wheel still rides great.  However, the inside of the shell, around where the pedal hanger attaches to the wheel is cracked (just like in the picture above from @who_the that he posted in a separate thread).  This isn't my picture, but it's a better pic of the problem I've got so I'm using it.  My question to the group is this ... has anyone tried any Plastic Welding?  See video link below:

Does this actually work?  I tried JB Weld epoxy, but that only held for a few days before the crack came back.  This plastic welder seems like a good solution, and considering the amount of abuse I put my wheels through, will probably pay for itself in the long run.

Anyone got any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Charles McLean said:

Anyone got any experience with this sort of thing?

I bought a unit to weld polypropylene and polyethylene plastic a few years back. I did not have any success and I became frustrated and quit. I should have watched the video first. ;) The trick is you need the exact type of plastic strips that your shell is fabricated from for optimal results.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I bought a unit to weld polypropylene and polyethylene plastic a few years back. I did not have any success and I became frustrated and quit. I should have watched the video first. ;) The trick is you need the exact type of plastic strips that your shell is fabricated from for optimal results.

That begs the question ... does anyone know what kind of plastic the various KingSong and Gotway Shells are made of?  My MSuper V3s+ shell seems to all be made out of the same type of plastic, with the exception of the housing for the headlight, charger, and tail light.  But, my Tesla looks like it could be made from a couple of different types of plastic.  My daughter's Kingsong 14D, looks like it could be made from ABS since it does remind me of the plastic used for Legos.  Is there a thread anywhere in here that lists out the types of plastics our wheels are made of?

21 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Maybe you could trim some small strips of plastic from the edge of the shell itself in non critical areas, that way it's sure to be a perfect match!

I bet @Jason McNeilor other members have some broken plastic shells lying around they may part with for experimentation.  If the welding process works it would be a great a education for forum members. 

I hope a solution emerges to repair these shells. But given the numerous forces at work within this critical structural element, I'm dubious that plastic welding could represent a durable, permanent repair.

The problem with Gotway's designs are that they are underengineered to accommodate the forces at work. They use essentially ZERO internal ribs or trusses in their designs to diminish interior forces at key points. Contrast the inside of an MSuper V3 and a Ninebot Z10. The interior plastic structure of the Z10 is designed to disperse load and impact over a larger portion of the shell. (The brass machine screw inserts — *drool* all dozen or so of them — also distribute force and allow the cover to become a structural element as well.)

I also have a theory that one of the first things to break on an MSv3 in a crash is the most rearward screw peg for the shell case. If this screw fails (did on mine), it increases the potential twisting force which, over time, puts more pressure on the internal plastic eventually cracking it.

@Rehab1 had an interesting idea to add aluminum angle to those corners, attaching them with epoxy and drilling holes or scoring the surface to enhance adhesion.

1 hour ago, who_the said:

Rehab1 had an interesting idea to add aluminum angle to those corners, attaching them with epoxy and drilling holes or scoring the surface to enhance adhesion.

Another project that slipped my mind. Sorry. I do have a KS14C shell I could practice on. Just don’t tell Smoother. ;)

I wonder whether in future designs they could implement flexible metal "ribs" that could be inserted and locked into the plastic frame work in channels to help add an element of strength.  A composite design of metal and plastic might give the outer shell more strength during crashes.  Or even a metal framework of springy, strong metal alloy (nickel titanium?) might help and allow plastic cover pieces to be bolted on.

6 hours ago, who_the said:

I hope a solution emerges to repair these shells. But given the numerous forces at work within this critical structural element, I'm dubious that plastic welding could represent a durable, permanent repair.

I agree w/ @who_the about the structural integrity of a plastic weld. I have done this with acetone and that opaque plastic coat hanger cut into very small pieces to fix a dashboard. Part of the trick to the adhesion is the paint the surface to to be welded in the acetone as a preparation for plastic reformation once the acetone dries. I have also been told that Xylol does a little bit better job, but it is more cancerous in fume form and I have not tried it yet.

What would be a good idea would be to have 3D patterns for printing. Fixing is so Fonzi. :efeee20b79: Its a pull and replace world of technology assuaged by a modicum of recycling. I wonder if that mixed with @Hunka Hunka Burning Love'S idea of metal tines or ribs would be a great lightweight solution?^_^

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

A composite design of metal and plastic might give the outer shell more strength during crashes. 

Your definitely  on the right track when you mentioned composites. A carbon fiber shell would greatly increase the strength but the cost would be prohibitive. The combination of both a plastic shell and metal sub-frame would certainly beef up the strength but the weak link in the chain is still the molded plastic. I found replacing my ACM shell was relatively inexpensive. If the plastic shells were integrated into a metal skeleton I’m afraid the replacement cost would significantly increase.

I'd like to see a time where you get your own expensive carbon fiber shell and just put it on all different kinds of setups. Maybe a universal shell mounting scheme or something. It would be a lot more fun if these were modular and you could swap motors, control boards, even pedal support mounts between a standard shell anchoring scheme. 

6 hours ago, Charles McLean said:

I think I'll try something with a steel mesh like in this video.  

Excellent find!!!:thumbup:

Excellent video on determining the best plastic bonding epoxy. 2 second ad....get over it.:)

Here is a quantifiable chart from all of the tests the host performed using the various epoxies. both JB weld original and Gorilla Glue came out on top after the five categories were analyzed. 

40025883175_49320f04ac_b.jpg

So I am going to purchase Gorilla Glue being it is a bit more flexible when it cures and then add fasten a piece of 90 degree angle aluminum to my old ACM shell in the same location as @Charles McLean‘s fracture. Off to Home Depot. 

26047358487_06eea90437_b.jpg

I did some plastic welding on a fully dressed motorcycle I was restoring (Honda ST1100).  There were lots of cracks in the fairing pieces.  There were ABS (very common) So I used milk bottle lids (also ABS) and a soldering iron.  Worked very well.  Even built up a few pieces that were broken off/missing.  Once re-sprayed, you couldn't tell the difference.

from this:

IMG_1686

to this:

IMG_2418

I tried the screen mesh to fix a fiberglass roof crack in my Subaru 360. It repaired the crack, but the metal screen rusted through the white fiberglass to form a little orange patch. The screen and fiberglass repair clearly looks like a scar. Its raised about a centimeter at the top height of the scar.

I saw that 3M Scotch Weld Adhesive Epoxy DP420NS is used to fasten the front of MTA Busses to the frame of the Bus. Its got a great shear strenth and adhesion, and its what the professionals use for building vehicles, so check that stuff out before going into the Housewife aisle for the DIYers

25 minutes ago, Smoother said:

There were ABS (very common) So I used milk bottle lids (also ABS) and a soldering iron.  Worked very well.  Even built up a few pieces that were broken off/missing.  Once re-sprayed, you couldn't tell the differenc

That is a great idea! What is your technique? Did you lay the patch pieces in the crack and melt them in with the soldering iron, or did you melt the plastic pieces and paint them into the cracks?

26 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

That is a great idea! What is your technique? Did you lay the patch pieces in the crack and melt them in with the soldering iron, or did you melt the plastic pieces and paint them into the cracks?

My technique was exactly...a little bit of everything.  Sometimes I had to do a job twice, but I had plenty of milk bottle tops. It was very much a suck it and see exercise.  Mostly on the unseen side so cleaning up the patch was not necessary.  but on the shown side, a good sanding works, followed by paint. I also used the superglue and baking soda method for cracks that @Shad0z recently mentioned.  I'm not sure how well it holds to plastic over time, but it sticks to wood like, well, eh.. glue.  I have repaired several powered paragliding propellers with that method, and was happy to fly with them for months afterwards.

I purchased everything I need for the experimental repair at Home Depot. 

3/8x1/2” angled aluminum and Gorilla Epoxy (I had lots of choices but this glue works for both metal and plastic).

39114851040_648c21f231_b.jpg

40882559642_6f5fd96355_b.jpg

Blending the 2 part resin

40882559632_7b60448948_b.jpg

Angled aluminum with perforations for optimal adherence. 

40215955854_055b87cf72_b.jpg

Both surfaces roughened up for optimal adhesion. 

27053129088_9d03c6fe56_b.jpg

Thick layer of Epoxy.

40030799865_42c984b518_b.jpg

Repair strut positioned in place.

40030799535_0766a6d82d_b.jpg

The vertical strut will be used to conduct various stress tests once the epoxy has cured. 

40883021252_96ce664f0f_b.jpg

Edit: On one test tomorrow I will start adding weight to the shell to determine how strong the epoxy is. 

26052630917_80cc189130_b.jpg

Hey everyone, I posted in the Gotway Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/GotWay/permalink/1752952064763108/) asking what type of plastic the MSuper shell is made from.  I got a few responses, and one guy posted a response with a link to the plastic weld repair work he did on his MSuper shell.  He said he's put 5,500 KM on his wheel after the repair with no issues.  Anyway, the pics are great ... check them out here:  https://yadi.sk/d/X7BnrF403QD6Yq

Now I just need to find the right plastic welder!

Part of me wonders why they are being built with the shell paradigm in the first place. Obviously electronics, motor and battery need to be weatherproof, so seal them in containers of some description, but they could almost be mounted into a rollcage style structure of aluminum tubes with padding mounted in the right places for contact with legs and modular mudguards that can flex and be replaced.

EUCs spend most of their lives in constant fear of the immediate potential to be bowled across the ground at speed, yet current designs have more in common with a kitchen toaster than a bike or dune buggy.

I might do a little sketch now.

Archived