ACM - High Speed Shut off. (Wipe out)

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

For the last couple of months I no longer ride my wheel without wrist guards, regardless of how short the trip.

Yep, I learned that lesson this past Monday while taking a leisurely ride around my neighborhood.  I wasn't paying attention, and was just staring off into the distance enjoying the view and came around a corner and hit a speed bump at about 15 mph and went flying through the air.  This picture is 24 hours later, after a good cleaning and a bunch of Neosporin.  Knees are a little banged up, and right elbow took a little beating, but all-in-all I'm no worse for the wear and still riding around (albeit with a bunch of band-aids).  The kicker is I just got through with a long ride with full gear on Monday and got home and just decided I'd take a quick spin around the block before heading inside.  Oh the irony.  It's the one time you don't wear your gear ...

MVIMG_20180306_085709.thumb.jpg.f0393934dda5c4049f23ef43db6ef3bc.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

For the last couple of months I no longer ride my wheel without wrist guards, regardless of how short the trip.

From personal experience, every time I've fallen I've hit my knees. Fortunately I've had knee pads on at the time. But you've just convinced me that I need to wear them all the time too.

I just timed how long it takes to put my Triple-8 knee pads on. Including the adjustment of pants, etc., between 75 and 90 seconds. So 1-1/2 minutes is not really a long time to add some important protection. Wrist guards take less than 30-seconds.

So 2 minutes total for the most important gear.

From my personal experiences, I think the wrist guards and knee pads offer the best, most used protection. I've yet to hit my head in all the riding that I've done, so I'm OK skipping the helmet for short rides.

I'm trying to decide whether to with knee pads or pants with knee/shin pads.  The amount of time it would take to put them on is a big factor in trying to decide.  I'm doing a similar calculation about whether to get elbow pads or a jacket with elbow/shoulder/chest protection. 

I think you're right about knees being the second most likely contact point after wrists.  I'd been thinking it's elbows.  

Hitting your head is not a pleasant feeling, needless to say.  Had my first experience a few days ago.  Hit my forehead area and luckily the helmet protruded enough to contact the cement before my nose or cheek.  

11 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I think you're right about knees being the second most likely contact point after wrists.  I'd been thinking it's elbows.  

I always hit my palms first, right elbow second ... in that order ... always ... then my knees.

2 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I'm trying to decide whether to with knee pads or pants with knee/shin pads.  The amount of time it would take to put them on is a big factor in trying to decide.  I'm doing a similar calculation about whether to get elbow pads or a jacket with elbow/shoulder/chest protection. 

Hitting your head is not a pleasant feeling, needless to say.  Had my first experience a few days ago.  Hit my forehead area and luckily the helmet protruded enough to contact the cement before my nose or cheek.  

Just today I used the wheel to run an errand during a break from work. It took me literally less than two minutes to put my Triple-8 knee pads on (don't have to take off your shoes) and Triple-8 wrist guards. 2-minutes is really nothing, unless you're putting them on as you're escaping from a bank robbery :D

The problem with special pants and jackets is that those items are very limiting. You want protection that you can use with anything that you are wearing.

3 hours ago, Charles McLean said:

Yep, I learned that lesson this past Monday while taking a leisurely ride around my neighborhood.  I wasn't paying attention, and was just staring off into the distance enjoying the view and came around a corner and hit a speed bump at about 15 mph and went flying through the air.  This picture is 24 hours later, after a good cleaning and a bunch of Neosporin.  Knees are a little banged up, and right elbow took a little beating, but all-in-all I'm no worse for the wear and still riding around (albeit with a bunch of band-aids).  The kicker is I just got through with a long ride with full gear on Monday and got home and just decided I'd take a quick spin around the block before heading inside.  Oh the irony.  It's the one time you don't wear your gear ...

MVIMG_20180306_085709.thumb.jpg.f0393934dda5c4049f23ef43db6ef3bc.jpg

I am so glad that I always put on wrist guards now. I have multiple sets so that there's no excuse to spend the 20-seconds that it takes to put them on.

Go for the type that slide on - they are faster to put on because there are less straps to deal with.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Go for the type that slide on - they are faster to put on because there are less straps to deal with.

@Marty Backe got a link to a good pair you can recommend?  I have the set @Jason McNeil sent with my Tesla, and I just bought a set of ProTec wrist guards:  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EYMA78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is that the kind you were talking about?

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It took me literally less than two minutes to put my Triple-8 knee pads on (don't have to take off your shoes) and Triple-8 wrist guards.

@Marty Backe can you send a link to the Triple-8 knee pads that you don't have to take your shoes off to use?  That's the one thing I don't like about my ProTec knee pads ... they work great, but you need to take off your shoes to put them on.  Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just today I used the wheel to run an errand during a break from work. It took me literally less than two minutes to put my Triple-8 knee pads on (don't have to take off your shoes) and Triple-8 wrist guards. 2-minutes is really nothing, unless you're putting them on as you're escaping from a bank robbery :D

The problem with special pants and jackets is that those items are very limiting. You want protection that you can use with anything that you are wearing.

I spent a couple of hours tonight looking over different options and have come to the same conclusion regarding jackets/pants instead of more targeted items.  I'm such a drama queen when it comes to worrying about this stuff when researching, but then will adapt to it right away once I get over the analysis paralysis.  

I was into the idea of one of those cool-looking armored jackets, but I'm starting to think it would be overkill.  The one I was looking at didn't even have elbow protection.  

14 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

@Marty Backe can you send a link to the Triple-8 knee pads that you don't have to take your shoes off to use?  That's the one thing I don't like about my ProTec knee pads ... they work great, but you need to take off your shoes to put them on.  Thanks!

Go to my YouTube channel and look at the Description in one of the videos. I have links to all of my gear.

I currently use the Flexmeters for longer rides (because they take a tiny bit longer to put one and are bulkier to carry around). I use the Triple-8's for shorter rides (to the store, etc.) because they are small and easy to carry and always have access to.

19 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

Oh, btw, during another thread a few of us realized that you don't actually have to put your feet through the Protec knee pads. The straps do all the work of keeping them on your knees. But if you do wear them this way they are a little bulkier, so I still recommend the Triple-8's. I've been riding with them for few months now. Really happy so far.

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh, btw, during another thread a few of us realized that you don't actually have to put your feet through the Protec knee pads. The straps do all the work of keeping them on your knees. But if you do wear them this way they are a little bulkier, so I still recommend the Triple-8's. I've been riding with them for few months now. Really happy so far.

Thanks @Marty Backe I appreciate the links to the videos and the gear.  I'll definitely be investing in some upgrades!

I hadn't seen your updated riding gear vid @Marty Backe.  I have the triple 8 "hired hands" which I believe are the same ones you're using for quick rides.  I'm curious to see how you find the velcro holds up on your pair because that's been a gripe of mine so far; the velcro has lost it's stick.  Not sure what's responsible.  

I've been satisfied with their performance in my accidents.  Still going to pick up the flexmeters, although like you observed, the ease of putting the triple 8s on/off is nice.  

6 hours ago, mezzanine said:

When I hit the pavement it was like some weird  game. During the fall my body decided to skip past the knee and go straight for the elbow. Then my elbow  decided it did not want any major injury so it passed the baton to my shoulder. So wish my body parts would have had a discussion with me first. :angry:

2 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I hadn't seen your updated riding gear vid @Marty Backe.  I have the triple 8 "hired hands" which I believe are the same ones you're using for quick rides.  I'm curious to see how you find the velcro holds up on your pair because that's been a gripe of mine so far; the velcro has lost it's stick.  Not sure what's responsible.  

I've been satisfied with their performance in my accidents.  Still going to pick up the flexmeters, although like you observed, the ease of putting the triple 8s on/off is nice.  

Regarding your Velcro loosing it’s sticking power is there any lint building up in the hook portion. Is so a simple wire brush works great to remove any debris.

I just received my flexmeters two days ago.  Their size chart sucks. The larger size arrives today. 

10 hours ago, Charles McLean said:

@Marty Backe got a link to a good pair you can recommend?  I have the set @Jason McNeil sent with my Tesla, and I just bought a set of ProTec wrist guards:  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EYMA78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is that the kind you were talking about?

For speed of putting it on I would recommend those one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-new-Tactical-paintball-protection-knee-pads-elbow-pads-set-Free-shipping/32703515409.html

Knee pads very quick to put on and off. So far I have not tested the protection since I have not fallen with them on yet.

37 minutes ago, NECway said:

For speed of putting it on I would recommend those one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-new-Tactical-paintball-protection-knee-pads-elbow-pads-set-Free-shipping/32703515409.html

Knee pads very quick to put on and off. So far I have not tested the protection since I have not fallen with them on yet.

IMHO paint ball knee pads will not offer the protection that you want when coming off a wheel at 20-mph

I believe @yourtoys7 recommended these knee/shin pads https://fortnine.ca/en/shift-enforcer-knee-shin-guard (also available cheaper from Amazon) and have since bought a pair myself. They need to be worn underneath jeans/pants, as the top part does not have any straps, but I have found them to be very comfortable and extremely well made for the amazingly small price they cost. I'm not planning on testing them out with a fall, but I do wear them every time I get on the wheel just in case the unthinkable does happen. I always wear Rollerblade style wrist guards, G-Form elbow pads and the Ruroc helmet as per my profile picture, which is very close to Full face protection due to the removable face mask actually being incredibly strong.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:56 PM, Questor said:

Hello All.

It's been a while since I've posted.  Life has been very busy.

But I thought I'd add my story.

I've got a ACM and am very comfortable and confident with it.  I've had it up to 33 mph and probably have over 200 miles on it.

Well, on September 16th, 2017, I decided to race a pickup truck at a green light.  I had the initial jump on him, and was accelerating away up a pretty decent hill when all of a sudden, I'm flying though the air, and I see my wheel tumbling past me.  I hit the dreaded high speed shut off.

I busted up both palms pretty badly, fractured a bone in my right wrist, opened right knee right down to the bone, lacerated my left knee pretty badly, and I had a bunch of road rash on my back.  (I wasn't wearing any protective gear...)

The worst part was that I was still about four miles from home and had to get back on the wheel to get home.  I couldn t walk and couldn't pick up the wheel.

I've had worse accidents on a motorcycle and sustained less physical damage, but  I always ride with full gear and helmet.

So now, some five months later, I'm mostly healed.  I put the wheel back together, washed off all the dried blood, but the case is cracked and badly damaged.

Moral of the story.  Set your alarms.  Set your tilt back.  Wear protective gear.

Now - does anyone know where I can get a new case put back on my wheel?

Q~

Fell on outstretched hands, fractured a bone in the wrist and long time to heal up, Scaphoid?

Usually the one to go when falling hard on outstretched hand, but yeah all those small bones are nasty to break and chances are even after healing you could experience problems for life if not perfectly healed, if arthritis set in that could take a while before it develops, carpal tunnel syndrome etc it's the most complex joint in the whole body and me too learned they hard to never ride without protective gear and minimum a helmet and wrist guards. But also look at Rehab and his accident that went terrible wrong so probably should consider putting on all available gear but not even tha's any guarantees, sure better than without though.

Hope you all good now and do not have to experience a fall like that again.

On 8.3.2018 at 4:27 PM, Marty Backe said:

I know that @KingSong69 is of the opinion that the 3rd alarm is just a fixed speed, but I don't agree. And I can confirm with absolute confidence that the Tesla utilizes a max power level for the 3rd alarm.

When my battery was below 50% and I was riding in the low-20's I was getting the 3rd alarm. The next day I did the same test with the wheel fully charged and I did not get the 3rd alarm while riding at my max speed of ~25-mph. This tells me that the 3rd alarm on the Tesla is determined by available power not a fixed speed.

I just said that it was fixed for the old wheels...with older firmware.

What i can garantee -for the new wheels- is that it is not an amperage related alarm.

Just one getting down with the battery charge. „power =amperage available“ is on all battery charge the same.....

8 hours ago, fbhb said:

I believe @yourtoys7 recommended these knee/shin pads https://fortnine.ca/en/shift-enforcer-knee-shin-guard (also available cheaper from Amazon) and have since bought a pair myself. They need to be worn underneath jeans/pants, as the top part does not have any straps, but I have found them to be very comfortable and extremely well made for the amazingly small price they cost. I'm not planning on testing them out with a fall, but I do wear them every time I get on the wheel just in case the unthinkable does happen. I always wear Rollerblade style wrist guards, G-Form elbow pads and the Ruroc helmet as per my profile picture, which is very close to Full face protection due to the removable face mask actually being incredibly strong.

Thanks, I really do like them a lot, I always wear them under pants and my last fall, I had them on.

Archived