Tesla problem

23 minutes ago, nute said:

The Tesla has only 6 MOSFET's? Interesting photos. 

Nope. Tesla has 12 MOSFETs. Six stacked on top of six.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Flow, whereabouts are you in Finland?  There are several Finns on the board that might be able to help you out if you need it maybe?  @esaj is pretty busy, but maybe @EUC Extreme might be able to give some advice?  I think @Pasi also is pretty handy?  Check out the Finland riders section of the forums.

Thank you all for the suggestions and offers! So far so good, I managed to disconnect the board without too much of a struggle after reading @meepmeepmayer's instructions.

Waiting for the new board now, it's nice to know that if I run into any issues reconnecting it there's a large community of helpful people willing to help! ^_^

There are 5 wires going to the HALL sensor.  each one has to be soldered securely, inside the motor.  If just one has a bad connection or has come off, you have a problem.  I'm not advising you to open up your brand new motor, BUTTTT, if you do, (and its not that difficult), you might just find the cause of your problem. But, the catch 22 with EUCs is, you open it, you void your warrantee.  Which is pretty stupid, because, you have to tear them down 80% just to get at consumables like tires, and tubes, or to change a KrackSong fuse. Ho Hum, what to do, what to do.:crying:

1 hour ago, Flow said:

Board arrived, board swapped, same problem. Very frustrated right now.

That's really unfortunate. So your motor is bad (the Hall Sensors). Trying to keep a positive light on the matter, at least you now have a spare control board (which hopefully you will not need).

Replacing the motor will take a couple of hours (once you manage to get a new motor). It's not fun, but it's also not brain surgery.

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's really unfortunate. So your motor is bad (the Hall Sensors). Trying to keep a positive light on the matter, at least you now have a spare control board (which hopefully you will not need).

Replacing the motor will take a couple of hours (once you manage to get a new motor). It's not fun, but it's also not brain surgery.

The seller is suspecting the same thing now. How heavy is the motor, will they be able to ship it express or will it have to be delivered by freight?

Is there anything I should be aware of / careful with when taking out / putting back in the motor? Are there any parts I will need to replace (for example the heat shrinks when replacing the control board)?

@Unimike How is your case going? :)

10 minutes ago, Flow said:

The seller is suspecting the same thing now. How heavy is the motor, will they be able to ship it express or will it have to be delivered by freight?

Is there anything I should be aware of / careful with when taking out / putting back in the motor? Are there any parts I will need to replace (for example the heat shrinks when replacing the control board)?

@Unimike How is your case going? :)

The motor comes sans pedals brackets, tire, etc. So it's not very heavy.

The most difficult part of this will be removing and re-installing the pedal brackets. You will need a robust wrench precisely the size of the nut. Do not use an adjustable wrench or a wrench that's "close enough". Doing so will most likely result in a rounded over nut.

These nuts need to be tightened very firmly, so removing them will be a workout and installing them will be a workout. It's important that you secure the wheel properly such that you can get the proper leverage.

His is a video that I made on tightening the Monster nuts. This will give you an idea of the effort required. And I'm also including two videos by @Rehab1 which were very helpful to me when I replaced my ACM motor.

Wow.  That's some seriously red neck engineering on those attachment points.  @Marty Backe I think you used more force than I did reattaching my harmonic balancer to a V8 engine, 181 lb/ft or about 225 Nm  (and my bar was twice the length of yours...yes, my timing belt swap, went fine thanks for asking, first time too :))  AND STILL the pedals move.  Any more force and you're in danger of stripping the threads.  I was going to make a video of tightening KingSong hangers, but how do you make a video of "tighten the four bolts with an allen wrench, and move on"? :rolleyes:  Its just a shame that some of us are tightening well designed hangers onto glass axles.:facepalm:

And @Rehab1 how in the heck can those wedges tighten with more force than God can create, and STILL not be aligned with the flat spots on the axle?!! Beggars belief.  Like I said,  red neck engineering.  The problem as I see it is, opposite the side where the wedges contact the axle, the other edge of the wedges is being forced to scrape along an angled slot in the aluminium hanger.  Not only is there a tremendous amount of friction to overcome, the harder the nut is turned, the more the friction in this spot.  Also, steel wedges, hard, aluminum hangers, soft.  See where I'm going with this?  I'm sure someone has done an excellent write up of this problem, which I missed.

Still, excellent videos, a good service for the community.  Thanks.  Keep up the good work.

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

Wow.  That's some seriously red neck engineering on those attachment points.  @Marty Backe I think you used more force than I did reattaching my harmonic balancer to a V8 engine, 181 lb/ft or about 225 Nm  (and my bar was twice the length of yours...yes, my timing belt swap, went fine thanks for asking, first time too :))  AND STILL the pedals move.  Any more force and you're in danger of stripping the threads.  I was going to make a video of tightening KingSong hangers, but how do you make a video of "tighten the four bolts with an allen wrench, and move on"? :rolleyes:  Its just a shame that some of us are tightening well designed hangers onto glass axles.:facepalm:

And @Rehab1 how in the heck can those wedges tighten with more force than God can create, and STILL not be aligned with the flat spots on the axle?!! Beggars belief.  Like I said,  red neck engineering.  The problem as I see it is, opposite the side where the wedges contact the axle, the other edge of the wedges is being forced to scrape along an angled slot in the aluminium hanger.  Not only is there a tremendous amount of friction to overcome, the harder the nut is turned, the more the friction in this spotAlso, steel wedges, hard, aluminum hangers, soft.  See where I'm going with this?  I'm sure someone has done an excellent write up of this problem, which I missed.

Still, excellent videos, a good service for the community.  Thanks.  Keep up the good work.

Glad your timing belt job went well.

I hate you, but I have to admit that I wish I had KingSong axles (now that they don't snap). This one is a real head-scratcher; does KingSong have a patent that prevents Gotway from using the their approach  :confused1:

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

And @Rehab1 how in the heck can those wedges tighten with more force than God can create,

Are you referencing @Marty Backe‘s big God gun arms tightening the nut?

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

Not only is there a tremendous amount of friction to overcome, the harder the nut is turned, the more the friction in this spot. 

That is why I never offered to tighten the nut. I only supplied Marty the tool.;)

6 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hmmmnn... When seen as a still picture and considered from an artistic perspective, that is actually... quite intimate!

So glad you picked up on that:D I had to pick on @Marty Backe. It has been awhile since I made fun of the Brokebacke Mountain escapades.

12 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Go ahead you seasonal Nut Cracker! :cheers:

As l am currently trying to secure a California "wheel storage" / "battery cycling" vendor, I should probably refrain (for now). 

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love - did you want to take this one? 

15 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

As l am currently trying to secure a California "wheel storage" / "battery cycling" vendor, I should probably refrain (for now). 

So you plan to visit CA often? Refrain? No way!!

26851505049_cc40591ec4_b.jpg

32 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

So you plan to visit CA often? Refrain? No way!!

26851505049_cc40591ec4_b.jpg

I have family near LA, so I'm "obliged" to stop whenever l am passing nearby. 

As l travel fairly regularly, l really need either a global network of multi-wheel owners (who are happy to lend), or my own "fleet" of wheels that are stored and maintained by a team of strategically located minions. 

NOTE: For anyone wanting to apply, please email the.fat.unicyclist@ds.net.nz .

52 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Go ahead you seasonal Nut Cracker! :cheers:

58 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It was all I could do to not make a "nut tightening" joke... 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

So glad you picked up on that:D I had to pick on @Marty Backe. It has been awhile since I made fun of the Brokebacke Mountain escapades.

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hmmmnn... When seen as a still picture and considered from an artistic perspective, that is actually... quite intimate!

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

38594612662_b9124f4831_b.jpg

You guys are killing me :roflmao:

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love - did you want to take this one? 

Sorry, I got nutin'.  :whistling:  Hope people are using torque wrenches.  I'd hate to see someone bust a nut.  It also doesn't hurt to have someone lend a hand when working around the nuts and axle shaft.   :innocent1:  Too far?

43 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Sorry, I got nutin'.  :whistling:  Hope people are using torque wrenches.  I'd hate to see someone bust a nut.  It also doesn't hurt to have someone lend a hand when working around the nuts and axle shaft.   :innocent1:  Too far?

:laughbounce2: Too far man :roflmao:

Archived