It's Good to Have a Plan B

radial

Sometimes I drive in with the wheel in the back seat and then ride it home, leaving the car parked at work.  Of course, that means you need to ride the wheel in the next morning to retrieve the car.  This morning was one of those times.  

I was only 50 yards down the street before I realized that something was very wrong with the way the V8 was handling.  It never felt that sloppy before.  Then it started making that ugly adhesive sound that tires make when they've lost air.  Sure enough, the tire had gone flat overnight.  

What to do?  I needed to get in on time to deal with a situation.  I could have walked, but it's 5 miles and that would have made me very late.  Ninebot to the rescue!  I've never commuted on the little wheel before, but it has the range for a one-way trip.  Heck, it could probably handle both legs of the commute without recharging.  Well, I'm happy to report that the little Ninebot carried me to work with flying colors!  If it were just a little bit lighter, I'd be tempted to carry it with me like a spare tire :).

Now I need to fix the V8.  Bought some slime on the way home and will give that a try.  

2 hours ago, radial said:

Sometimes I drive in with the wheel in the back seat and then ride it home, leaving the car parked at work.  Of course, that means you need to ride the wheel in the next morning to retrieve the car.  This morning was one of those times.  

I was only 50 yards down the street before I realized that something was very wrong with the way the V8 was handling.  It never felt that sloppy before.  Then it started making that ugly adhesive sound that tires make when they've lost air.  Sure enough, the tire had gone flat overnight.  

What to do?  I needed to get in on time to deal with a situation.  I could have walked, but it's 5 miles and that would have made me very late.  Ninebot to the rescue!  I've never commuted on the little wheel before, but it has the range for a one-way trip.  Heck, it could probably handle both legs of the commute without recharging.  Well, I'm happy to report that the little Ninebot carried me to work with flying colors!  If it were just a little bit lighter, I'd be tempted to carry it with me like a spare tire :).

Now I need to fix the V8.  Bought some slime on the way home and will give that a try.  

When I got my MSuper flat it was a very strange sensation. I was losing all control of the wheel and barely got off it in time.

I'm almost positive the Slime will fix the flat. I use 3 ounces in my 16" wheels. But before you do the whole Slime thing, find where the puncture is and what caused it. If there's still something in the tire (nail, etc) you'll need to dig it out before the Slime can do it's magic.

Good luck.

P.s. A five mile commute sounds perfect. Mine is 26 miles. If I only lived 5 files from work I'd commute via the wheel every day.

I'm betting on the Slime too.  I watched your video where you plucked out the offending nail with needlenose pliers and took note.  I'll report back.  

My commute is pretty awesome, but I feel like I earned it.  I spent over 30 years commuting into downtown Washington, D.C. before I finally wised up and found a nearby client.  I'll never work again at a job so far away from where I live.  Life is short.  

48 minutes ago, radial said:

I'm betting on the Slime too.  I watched your video where you plucked out the offending nail with needlenose pliers and took note.  I'll report back.  

My commute is pretty awesome, but I feel like I earned it.  I spent over 30 years commuting into downtown Washington, D.C. before I finally wised up and found a nearby client.  I'll never work again at a job so far away from where I live.  Life is short.  

:cheers:

Okay, I slimed the wheel.  It was very easy, so any of you who might be hesitating because it seems complicated, fear not.  Don't bother to buy a separate tool for extracting the valve core.  The plastic tool built into the top of the slime bottle works just fine.  After adding the slime and reinstalling the valve core, I let the wheel spin out a couple of times so as to distribute the goo internally.  Then I pumped up the tire to 50 psi and took a ride.  World of difference as far as handling was concerned.  I had been running at around 35 to 40 psi (or so I thought) but 50 psi was a whole different dimension in responsiveness.  The V8 handled pretty much like my much lighter and more nimble Ninebot.  It remains to be seen if the slime will seal the leaks and I'll wake up tomorrow morning to a new and improved wheel.  But I'm cautiously optimistic.  

For Plan B do you guys consider Uber?

Great service... I've rarely waited for a pickup more than 10 minutes. Me to the Orthopedic doctor with no issues meeting appointment times. Long distances (tens of miles) can get pricey. For < 10 miles it's reasonable.

Perhaps try the app for a ride to get the feel for the map, billing , etc.

Less expensive than buying a spare Gotway Monster. I was talking with a roofer today. He said..who would want to stand up for 80 miles!

What's the other one....Lyft?

Yeah....riding on a deflating tire is strange and the pedals hit the sidewalk more easily on a Ninebot. Tube valve stems can get slightly unscrewed too. Slime makes both replacement valve stems as well as a torque tool for tightening correctly.

Mten(?) with a range of 20 miles sounds great. It took two Dunkin Donuts recharging stops to make it to Boston this afternoon (about a 20 mile trip along bikeways). I was going to take a photo of the Bunker Hill Monument but by the time I got past the bridge to Boston in Everett it was getting dark.

43344.jpg

Marty...great and inspiring So Cal type videos! 

43 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Great service... I've rarely waited for a pickup more than 10 minutes. Me to the Orthopedic doctor with no issues meeting appointment times. Long distances (tens of miles) can get pricey. For < 10 miles it's reasonable.

Less expensive than buying a spare Gotway Monster. I was talking with a roofer today. He said..who would want to stand up for 80 miles!

Yeah....riding on a deflating tire is strange and the pedals hit the sidewalk more easily on a Ninebot. Tube valve stems can get slightly unscrewed too. Slime makes both replacement valve stems as well as a torque tool for tightening correctly.

Mten(?) with a range of 20 miles sounds great. It took two Dunkin Donuts recharging stops to make it to Boston this afternoon (about a 20 mile trip along bikeways). I was going to take a photo of the Bunker Hill Monument but by the time I got past the bridge to Boston in Everett it was getting dark.

43344.jpg

I have the Uber app installed but have yet to try it. It's my Plan B or C.  Do you think there would be an issue putting the wheel in the car or trunk? Would you have to tell Uber ahead of time that you have a large package that you're carrying?

1 hour ago, radial said:

Okay, I slimed the wheel.  It was very easy, so any of you who might be hesitating because it seems complicated, fear not.  Don't bother to buy a separate tool for extracting the valve core.  The plastic tool built into the top of the slime bottle works just fine.  After adding the slime and reinstalling the valve core, I let the wheel spin out a couple of times so as to distribute the goo internally.  Then I pumped up the tire to 50 psi and took a ride.  World of difference as far as handling was concerned.  I had been running at around 35 to 40 psi (or so I thought) but 50 psi was a whole different dimension in responsiveness.  The V8 handled pretty much like my much lighter and more nimble Ninebot.  It remains to be seen if the slime will seal the leaks and I'll wake up tomorrow morning to a new and improved wheel.  But I'm cautiously optimistic.  

So I gather you didn't find anything that caused the flat?

20 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Uber isn't available everywhere :)

BTW I read that slime should only be used as a temporary solution to get home and that you should fix the tire afterwards?

Most Users here use it as permanent and precautionary protection....

With slime in your tire chances are better that on a small injury from something small spikey nothing will happen.

Can be used precautionary...but also after a small leak happens it might help. I have driven a tire 6 months after Fixing a leak with slime in it...and never lost any air.

19 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Uber isn't available everywhere :)

BTW I read that slime should only be used as a temporary solution to get home and that you should fix the tire afterwards?

Where did you read that??? I have 400 miles on mine since the flat and I know someone else with a Slime repaired ACM that's been running fine for 11 months.

The company that makes Slime only suggests that passenger vehicle tires be fixed. Bicycle tires - no problem.

5 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I'm really lucky (in a way) at 60 years old I got a freedom pass that allows me to use any train, bus, tube or tram inside the Greater London area for free after 9:30 a.m.  So I just make sure I have that pass on me when I ride. Of course it also means I can very much use the EUC as true last mile transport.

I was at a Model Airshow and craft fair on Sunday at a full size aerodrome and kicked myself that I didn't put the wheel in the back of the car, it was not as busy as I had expected (threats of rain) and, by the end of the day my knees were quite painful, especially walking a long way back to the car a few times to dump heavy purchases. Had I taken the wheel I would have had no problem using it and, I suspect, would have been viewed as part of the entertainment. Perhaps not quite rivalling the obligatory pyrotechnics trying to blow up any 'plane that flew near them! http://www.headcornevents.co.uk/event.php?eventid=25DSC_3021-3967396057-745320.thumb.JPG.4a5dc8b6ae7eba3491d551eaf46d8d81.JPG

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Do you think there would be an issue putting the wheel in the car or trunk? Would you have to tell Uber ahead of time that you have a large package that you're carrying?

For luggage (large bags for travel) or bags of groceries the Uber drivers trunk is standard procedure. Aside from interacting by phone with the driver to get a final fix in were you are, in some circumstances, contacting the driver ahead of time isn't really possible. 

You can 'schedule' a pickup in advance at a location ,for a time slot , using the app if concerns about timing of being picked up exist.

The app is a moving map of you vs the available drivers or contracted driver coming to pick you up (plus an estimated time) or after getting in your time to destination.

EUC in the trunk would be easy.

Uber on demand app display prior to making a contract request

43383.png

Uber app when making a scheduled pickup (no extra fee)

43384.png

Not meeting the driver at the preset pickup location seen on the apps map results in a $5 (last time it happened to me) fee. Standing in some areas while making an Uber request can sometimes require you to move yourself to the most apparent Google address for your request. Most often moving yourself isn't required. 

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Do you think there would be an issue putting the wheel in the car or trunk? Would you have to tell Uber ahead of time that you have a large package that you're carrying?

I never had to do this. The few times that I Ubered the wheel would be snugly stuffed into the trunk without a mention, like any other luggage.

3 hours ago, radial said:

Slime for the win!  My tire is holding pressure just fine this morning.  I have enough left in the bottle to slime the Ninebot too (as a precautionary measure), so that will be this evening's project.  

:thumbup:

6 hours ago, radial said:

Slime for the win!  My tire is holding pressure just fine this morning.  I have enough left in the bottle to slime the Ninebot too (as a precautionary measure), so that will be this evening's project.  

My wife must put slime in my food! I can't seen to get rid of the pressure.:)

On 9/13/2017 at 8:50 PM, Rehab1 said:

My wife must put slime in my food! I can't seen to get rid of the pressure.:)

Got your message!:D  My experience is that whatever you do,  you mustn't go beyond 1 bar. :cheers:

On 9/12/2017 at 11:38 PM, radial said:

If it were just a little bit lighter, I'd be tempted to carry it with me like a spare tire :).

I opted for the 'IPS i5' as a spare wheel which really stows nicely on top of the spare tire in my car as well as in my backpack and now I know that I'm never out of a wheel when the need arises.

Admittedly, the specs are a bit mediocre but it offers a fair ride forwards, upwards and backwards and if the withdrawal symptoms are there, why snort at coke?:innocent1:

On 9/13/2017 at 2:27 AM, Marty Backe said:

I'm almost positive the Slime will fix the flat. I use 3 ounces in my 16" wheels.

After reading your thoughts on Slime elsewhere, I now carry a bottle with me on excursions but I am still hesitant whether I should use it prophylactically or when-in-need. Applying 3 ounces to my 16" V8 seems almost homeopathic but if it saves my day, I am willing to try...

51 minutes ago, Snurre said:

Got your message!:D  My experience is that whatever you do,  you mustn't go beyond 1 bar. :cheers:

I opted for the 'IPS i5' as a spare wheel which really stows nicely on top of the spare tire in my car as well as in my backpack and now I know that I'm never out of a wheel when the need arises.

Admittedly, the specs are a bit mediocre but it offers a fair ride forwards, upwards and backwards and if the withdrawal symptoms are there, why snort at coke?:innocent1:

After reading your thoughts on Slime elsewhere, I now carry a bottle with me on excursions but I am still hesitant whether I should use it prophylactically or when-in-need. Applying 3 ounces to my 16" V8 seems almost homeopathic but if it saves my day, I am willing to try...

Great word usage ;) Many of use ride our wheels with Slime in them. I tried to detect a difference pre/post Slimming, but can't. I really think that the whole point of Slime is to use if prophylactically :)

On September 12, 2017 at 11:11 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

43344.jpg

Nice photo, Bob, like most of your other snaps.  :thumbup: 

What is attached to the Ninebot outer shell at the top? 

I have been wanting to slime my wheel's tire, but I am still a little worried about the "it's only good for two years" thing... what then?

But after riding through broken glass tonight (apparently someone decided that there wasn't already enough on the sidewalk, so they broke a large bottle, which I didn't see because the headlight on the V3s+ is so powerful blindingly powerful - I actually heard myself go through it the way there and only saw it on the way back because I had my flashlight in hand...) I have concluded that with people this stupid in PSL, I need a portable pump and slime at least with me...

I'd like to use it prophylactically ( :lol: ) if possible, but what happens after 2 years?  Do I need to replace the tube?

The Slime is only guaranteed for two years. I have 1200 miles on my V8 in 1 month and one week. By the end of two years I will probably have around 6000-12,000 miles which is just about all these tires will do. So you may want to when you change the tire anyway. 

I totally hate why people need to break bottles all around bike trails at the river, along sidewalks next to busy streets also strewn with glass. What is their fear of smooth shaped glass all about anyway?! :furious: rode over a broken Heineken bottle the other day, heard the crunch and fortunately no damage... Yet...

Archived