Choosing a College Campus EUC

lhwu

Hi guys, 

I am a college student who lives on a hilly campus, but the hills are not too crazy and I think for the most part EUCs can handle the inclines. I am looking for an EUC that is lightweight, and has high utility in terms of its ability to handle moderate inclines. Not looking for speed so much as utility. Speed would be nice though, however, but I am not looking to race bikes. Just enough so that I can get to class, and back to my off-campus house in a reasonable amount of time. I want to be able to take the EUC into whatever building without needing to lug it around like a suitcase. Right now I am deciding between the Gotway Luffy and the IPS i5, both which can fit into a backpack. Are there any suggestions as to which EUC I should buy? If there are any other EUCs that fit my description, I would appreciate those suggestions. I have looked at larger ones like the Gotway MCM4, which I am also considering, but I think it is too large and unless you guys have some suggestions as to where I can keep an expensive EUC when I am not using it in public(Bike rack, etc.) I am trying to steer away from the larger ones because of the risk of it getting stolen. Not willing to spend more than 1000 dollars on one. Thank you very much!

- LH

If you need portability then the Jerry can shaped i5 is your best choice. If you can tolerate the extra size then <any> 16 inch wheel is great as it would be able to do it all.

For example, having a KS16S as a primary workhorse that gets the most use while an Inmotion V5F could be kept in your car, room, or what have you.

As for locks, just take the wheel with you, always. 

In my opinion having a small wheel, perhaps a 14 inch wheel, is great fun because it is so handy, with the drawback of being somewhat crash prone. Something like a KS14S would be so much more flexible than the short ranged i5 but if you know your needs are modest then for sure go with the I5.

I was just thinking about this sort of thing as I was carrying around my Inmotion V8 today. It is 30lbs and I had to carry it up 2 separate sets of stairs one after the other. I was glad it wasnt heavier like the KS14S (34lbs) or KS16S (38 lbs). On a college campus there are a lot of stairs and even for commuting and picking it up to get on the bus, the added weight on top of the books does make for a better work out. Sure the range is great on a KS, but unless its a 14C (30 lbs) with a trolley handle, that extra weight is books I cant take in the backpack. The Inmotion V5f w/ trolley handle (28 lbs) is perfect if you are under 165lbs. Above 165 lbs and this is for portability, weight, and power, your choices are KS14C 800w w/ a trolley handle or a 16" Inmotion V8.

Then for experienced riders on relatively pothole-less roads the new 10" Gotway mten could be very useful at 24lbs and 25mph with a 35-45 mile range. On a 10" wheel with an 800w motor, its asking for trouble for a newbie at those speeds and that much ready lateral mobility.

In full disclosure I feel these are all underserving this market just at the time that technology is making it easier to cater to them with lighter materials as well as more power and range, these would completely be better than a bike by competing in the last area of convenience bikes have, and thats weight. The trolley handles are all nice for transporting indoors, but the stairs dilemma remains unless there was a release in the trolley handle as well.

For college kids its got to be range, and weight since the wheel may actually see about 20-30 miles a day in full usage.

• IPS i5
  • Gotway Luffy
  • Or better (than Luffy) the new Gotway mten3.

I think for your application, i5 is by far the best. Much lighter and better/easier shape (for carrying and backpacking) than the others. It is made for that.

Or you go one size up (trolleying instead of carrying - trolley handle is critical) and for the Kingsong 14D or Inmotion V5F (no longer available, though). The answer to "Where do I leave my EUC?" is "You don't, you either carry it with you, or trolley it with you, and then put it somewhere next to your seat.

Important:

• What's your weight?
  • How far is it from your housing to campus? (You don't want to have to charge at school just to get home again)

For me, it's a decision between i5 (wonderfully portable/backpackable and light) or 14D (a "real" wheel with some range, but no longer that light or that easy to take with you). I don't like the idea of 10 inch wheels for "serious" commuting. But I've never tried one, so well, maybe these will turn out to be what is best for you.

Hi @lhwu, welcome to the club! Owning both an IPS i5 and an older GotWay Mten2, I would suggest the i5 for your purpose. At first, I was concerned about it's ability to master inclines with the motor specified at 350W only, but I tested it and it carries my 150 pounds up and down a 20° (that's 36%) ramp with ease.

So, unless your build is much more substantial than mine or you need a range exceeding 10 miles, I would think the i5 (with 245Wh) will serve you well and it fits nicely into your budget.

I cant help but think that with the Luffy or the i5, you will have something that fits neatly into your bag, and thats its top quality. If you are over 150 lbs, I bet you want it also for a transportation device, and thats where these models fall a little bit short. I have owned a huanxi H1 with similar specs, and as a transportation device it works best on paved, flat tight areas. It was really more of a large warehouse utility vehicle. The speed limiting makes going down hills a little bit of a chore because of the tilt back or beeping threats to shut off.

The small battery pack and motor means that yes you could go up a paved ramp or down a steep hill, but at 12mph top speed you will be struggling in both directions - up and down those hills. If you just want it instead of walking around the campus, it may be all you need. I envision you going around the path over the grass, up and down those hills late to class, or stressing out to make it to an exam. Maybe you forgot your book at your dorm and need to race back to grab it - you could run a lot faster than these and that 17lbs fitting nicely into your backpack may become more of a burden than a convenience.

Okay, just saw the speedyfeet review of the IPS i5 ?and it may just fit your needs as an on campus device. Really more powerful than the 350w would lead one to believe, and it seems to raise up to 500w rather easily when needed. Sturdy metal body and 14" wheel make it more stable than the 10" choices. It rides more like a road bike due to the thin 1" tires than the normal EUC with the standard 2" tire. As a first choice, you could do a ton worse than the IPS i5. Get it and make your 2nd one a second hand from the electric unicycle forum. A 14" KS14C with the 800w can easily be your vehicle on and off roading as a compliment.

The ideal EUC for all your needs may not exist yet. You will have to decide what your convenience factor is, and I hope I have given you enough perspective on the models available and their limits. I love the idea of the i5! It is such an amazing design. Let us all know about your decision and the results. :smartass: :popcorn:

20 hours ago, lhwu said:

Hi guys, 

I am a college student who lives on a hilly campus, but the hills are not too crazy and I think for the most part EUCs can handle the inclines. I am looking for an EUC that is lightweight, and has high utility in terms of its ability to handle moderate inclines. Not looking for speed so much as utility. Speed would be nice though, however, but I am not looking to race bikes. Just enough so that I can get to class, and back to my off-campus house in a reasonable amount of time. I want to be able to take the EUC into whatever building without needing to lug it around like a suitcase. Right now I am deciding between the Gotway Luffy and the IPS i5, both which can fit into a backpack. Are there any suggestions as to which EUC I should buy? If there are any other EUCs that fit my description, I would appreciate those suggestions. I have looked at larger ones like the Gotway MCM4, which I am also considering, but I think it is too large and unless you guys have some suggestions as to where I can keep an expensive EUC when I am not using it in public(Bike rack, etc.) I am trying to steer away from the larger ones because of the risk of it getting stolen. Not willing to spend more than 1000 dollars on one. Thank you very much!

- LH

I have owned Gotway, Segway, and KingSong. Whatever you decide to buy, make it a KingSong in the S version. 

A KS14S would fill your need. 

30 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

Whatever you decide to buy, make it a KingSong in the S version. 

20 hours ago, lhwu said:

Not willing to spend more than 1000 dollars on one.

Unless we can upsell the OP (from a EUC specific to his/her needs, to a more general purpose EUC), 14S won't work financially. And if upselling works, 16S is the better allrounder;)

14D is <1000$ though, but the i5 really hits that backpackability sweet spot no other wheel really does. It's a specialized wheel (lightness and carryability counts) vs. an allrounder wheel.

And with an i5, soon (s)he will want a second, bigger (range/speed/power) wheel anyways (for longer rides) so (s)he can be doubly happy then:D

Upsell time: @lhwu Why not just say "fuck it", and get a 16 inch KS16S? Can still be trolleyed, so it's reasonably doable to take to school, and you enjoy what a perfect-allrounder-size wheel than can do 30 miles and 35km/h (22mph) offers:)

Judging from your replies, you all seem to support the idea of getting a 14" wheel. What do you guys think of the Gotway MCM4 HS as a first wheel? It is 14", has solid utility and they are currently on sale, well within my price range. There is a compatible trolley handle that I can attach and I think that would work. Thank you all by the way for the thoughts and opinions. I think right now the decision is between a Gotway MCM4 and i5. There is also the question of the level of difficulty to learn. I already expressed my feelings about a budget, so getting two wheels might be excessive if I can't find a solid deal on another wheel. 

@Stan Onymous, what do you mean by as a first choice I could do a lot worse than an i5?

@meepmeepmayer, I'm still thinking of the MCM4 Gotway as a potential alternative to the i5 if we're thinking about a 14" wheel. 

Doesn't it snow in Boston?  A quick Google search shows me this at Boston U.  Are you headed south for studies?

t_13-6210-BLIZZARD-1552.jpg

Also, have you checked that the university you're going to allows electric vehicles on campus?  Do they require that they are UL-2272 certified?  Some are fine with it, but I have heard others might not allow it.  There was this one older professor that was briefly on the forums who was learning to ride his Ninebot around.  I think Princeton allows them, but you might want to double check with yours.

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Doesn't it snow in Boston?  A quick Google search shows me this at Boston U.  Are you headed south for studies?

t_13-6210-BLIZZARD-1552.jpg

Also, have you checked that the university you're going to allows electric vehicles on campus?  Some are fine with it, but I have heard others might not allow it.  There was this one older professor that was briefly on the forums who was learning to ride his Ninebot around.  I think Princeton allows them, but you might want to double check with yours.

It does snow in Boston, and I do go to school in the Boston area. I don't plan to use an EUC when it snows. This is just me trying to find a fun mode of transportation from a house that's about 1.5 miles away from campus. There's a building that's on the other side of campus where I have most of my classes and I'm just trying to find ways to make my runs more fun - maybe take rides to the waterfront and/or into the city. Now that I think about it, I am now more convinced that a 14" EUC will suit my tastes more. I just want some opinions as to whether or not an MCM4 V3 HS would be a good starter wheel and has a high ROI in terms of ride satisfaction, speed, price, comfort etc

I meant a lot of learning first timers get a Ninebot one a or c or other underpowered wheel which they immediately outgrow in weeks. The spiffy looks fade away, and for the weight, there are others faster and with more range. I got a ninebot one a and I was very glad in hindsight that the battery pack went bad, so that I could upgrade to the V5f. My only regret on the V5f was the range. I shouldve gotten the V5f+ which had a bigger battery for more distance. I now ride a V8 and a KS14c 500w that I got cheap 2nd hand.

the gotway is very heavy, but gives you a sturdy ride across all terrains. Heavier than most every bowling ball made. Its also a rock solid ride. Rides like a suspended in air plank of iron moving parallel to the ground that will race and beat a bike in an instant. Its a protective gear suggested ride. So if you have stairs, you will get a workout.:crying:

I say buy that 2nd hand KS14C 800w from the forum. I think there are two on the Eastcoast and one in Boston. It goes forever with those battery packs and one of them had a trolley handle too. I cant tell you how good the bluetooth speakers and usb charging port are. They are lifesavers. The thing will get you through snow too. Its only 30lbs (only, ha!) 

I got them both. Without a moments hesitation, I'd take the i5 to campus and the mcm4 for the ride across town or a tour in the great outdoors. In other words: you're talking 2 different applications and at least today you won't find an EUC that's ideal for both.

Don't under estimate the clumsiness from the form factor and weight of the mcm4 - those 6Kg extra weight make a hell of a difference when you have to lug that thing around a lot.

I am almost sold on a 14" wheel now. May I ask for a final opinion on a KS14C versus a Gotway MCM4? Would like weight and speed comparisons. I can't find the specs on the Kingsong 14C. To my knowledge the Gotway and KS seem extremely similar from what I read on the KS14C. A Gotway is around 30 lbs - how much would you guys say a KS14C is?

8 minutes ago, lhwu said:

I am almost sold on a 14" wheel now. May I ask for a final opinion on a KS14C versus a Gotway MCM4? Would like weight and speed comparisons. I can't find the specs on the Kingsong 14C. To my knowledge the Gotway and KS seem extremely similar from what I read on the KS14C. A Gotway is around 30 lbs - how much would you guys say a KS14C is?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T9GZJGJf9V24WRLqzVIyXuIeax2mu3fG5fXzHchPMwk

Thanks to @Mono

On 8/26/2017 at 6:24 PM, lhwu said:

the IPS i5,

That seems like a good sized wheel for a college campus, but get the one with the big batteries like @Tilmann has.  It could probably do double duty as far as short and long range, plus, and this is a big plus, it looks like a laptop.  

My one caution is with the Gotway models being able to be pushed beyond their mechanical and electrical capabilities. There are plenty of stories of people injuring themselves or their Gotways by pushing them too hard. That is part of their fun too, but I thought I should let you know. I think @Marty Backe could give you a great chat on the subject of Gotway awareness. He is a big fan of their, and if you get one, you will want to check his threads.

I ride on a college campus (Princeton), and I love the Inmotion v5f, seconding that. It's pretty hilly here, and it's plenty powerful. I also have a MSuper V3S which I use to get around town and for longer trips, but the combination of the motor cutoff button/lightweight/trolley makes the v5f great for going to classes.  I did have a bit of a nasty fall on the v5f when I hit a patch of black ice, but it was my fault for trying to ride in icy conditions.

Also, Inmotion V5f is great for doing tricks, not sure if you care about that.  I love when I ride past people, they say "do a trick" and I do a 180 on the spot, start riding backwards, and say "Like this?" Also be aware you're going to be "that guy" so make sure you're okay with that!

1 hour ago, lhwu said:

I own both the MCM4 and the 14C.  The weight is going to be dependent on battery size.  I have 680Wh versions of each and they are very similar weight wise(about 30 lbs).  I find the MCM4 to be just a tad more nimble and the 14C to be a tad more stiff/solid feeling.  Software wise they both suck equally as bad, if I had to pick one I'd say the Gotway has a slight edge on the software end.  I prefer the MCM4 but could ride either for your needs and not terribly miss the other.  Some people rave about the speakers that aren't on the Gotway but personally I have never used them and wouldn't miss them.  Neither of mine have a trolley, I have always just picked them up and carried them when need be.  Might not work for you depending on what you need to take with you and how far the walk to class is.  For short walks its fine but it gets heavier and heavier the further you have to carry it.  Price wise I would think you could get the 14C for far cheaper from what I've seen.  I'm about to sell mine for about $300 if that gives you any idea.  

Good luck in your search    

I didn't happen to see the KS14C that's mentioned, but if you have a good deal on the 800watt/840wh I think you can't go wrong. Absolutely get the trolley handle. It's a very powerful (i.e. safe) wheel that will probably only have to be charged once a month (30 - 35 mile range) based on your usage case. I love mine. Very small, nimble, and with the trolley handle, easy to move around with you in buildings.

For your usage, don't get a wheel that does not have a trolley handle. You're just not going to want to carry any wheel around no matter how small (Luffy).

Finally, I would pick the KS14C over the MCM because the KS14C has a much more powerful motor and range. Oh, and you can play tunes through the KS14C speakers which is not doable with any other wheel that you're considering.

The KS14C is considered one of the classic wheels by many, including me :)

28 minutes ago, lhwu said:

Do you guys know where I can get a KS14C? I can only find the KS14D and KS14S

Those are the newer models.  You are probably going to need to look on the used market.......................

There are a couple for sale in the for sale section on here.  I would start there,

10 minutes ago, lhwu said:

Do you guys know where I can get a KS14C? I can only find the KS14D and KS14S

You can't. Some of the posts in this thread made it sound like you had a deal on the 14C. But it's a discontinued wheel that's only available used or from left-over dealer stock.

That being said, if you're OK paying a bit more than your budget, the new 14S is the updated version of the 14C. Same powerful wheel and large batteries, but has a built-in trolley handle and optional light show. If I ever needed to replace my 14C, EWheels is very trustworthy and you'll get excellent support from Jason if needed.

I know this may sound like a setup, but I'll throw the offer out there anyway. I wouldn't mind buying the new 14S. If you're interested in a used 14C (mine) I would sell it to you. I can provide pictures, etc. if you're interested. I've put about 350 miles on it since I bought it new last September 28th. The batteries have seen 18 charge cycles. The wheel works great, and is in generally very good condition (wear & tear). The only reason I would ever sell it is if I can get the equivalent from KingSong, and now I can with the 14S.

I will sell it for $500 plus actual shipping charges (shipped in original shipping box). Be aware that  shipping wheels like this across the country (I'm in California) can cost upwards of $100.

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:
  • IPS i5
  • Gotway Luffy
  • Or better (than Luffy) the new Gotway mten3.

I think for your application, i5 is by far the best. Much lighter and better/easier shape (for carrying and backpacking) than the others. It is made for that.

Or you go one size up (trolleying instead of carrying - trolley handle is critical) and for the Kingsong 14D or Inmotion V5F (no longer available, though). The answer to "Where do I leave my EUC?" is "You don't, you either carry it with you, or trolley it with you, and then put it somewhere next to your seat.

Important:

• What's your weight?
  • How far is it from your housing to campus? (You don't want to have to charge at school just to get home again)

For me, it's a decision between i5 (wonderfully portable/backpackable and light) or 14D (a "real" wheel with some range, but no longer that light or that easy to take with you). I don't like the idea of 10 inch wheels for "serious" commuting. But I've never tried one, so well, maybe these will turn out to be what is best for you.

We just vacation in the New England area and visited Harvard campus.  Within the campus areas, I see signs that say walk bike since having no trolley handle on my ACM16 I didn't go see.  It seems a machine that can do around 10 miles and super small may be best.  I have no experience with any of the machine.

I like your idea about the small and fitting into the backpack.

Archived