The Hazards of Bumps at High Speeds

Even though 20 kph is by no means fast, I went over a sidewalk bump on a downhill that sent me airborne slightly and coming down my right foot position was way off (moved forwards).  I nearly lost control but cooler heads prevailed, and I was able to recover.  I haven't felt the need to add grip tape or the grip screws that I purchased for my Ninebot, but I'm kinda rethinking that.  :blink: Usually I ride pretty relaxed, but maybe I should have gripped onto the wheel more going over the bumps.

Usually I don't have any problems going over bumps, but this was a wake up call for sure espcially since I've been yearning for a faster wheel.  I'm sure going at higher speeds the chance of getting airborne are much greater.

I've also hit unexpected dips that lurch you forwards while it takes a split second for  the wheel to ride out of it.  Those are scary too since you don't see it coming.  I don't know how people ride in the dark at high speeds.  :o

15 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I don't know how people ride in the dark at high speeds.

For me the trickiest thing when riding in the dark is that even with an excellent light, sometimes it's hard to tell if something is a dark spot or a hole. I've hit some holes way faster than I should have because of this. Regarding bumps, I slow down appropriately when I am aware of the bump, but it seems every ride has at least one surprise bump, even in daylight. I do sometimes find my feet shifted, but so far I have been fortunate not to lose control.

I love riding around Calgary after dark.  I use a bike light mounted on the unicycle and, if it is needed in the deep dark or hills, I use another hand held light. The lights from two angles highlight road irregularities well. 

Well I've hit a few surprise bumps. One of them shouldn't have been a surprise, but idiot me was going slow and fiddling with the app... should have minded where I was going to paraphrase a well known 3 foot tall green jedi-master. That was a speed bump of the we're-going-to-destroy-your-suspension-if-you-go-faster-than-walking-pace kind. 100% up 6" and then 100% down in the span of maybe a foot including the crest and minimal gradation. I got airborne a foot or so. My feet both moved forward about 1" in that one, but I managed to keep my cool, stay on, and simply swore viciously over the quarter inch I lost in length for the rest of the day... :roflmao:

But generally I go slow in the dark, even on roads I "know". You never know if there's some debris or other thing that have been added since the last time around. Also, three-dimensional vision is much worse in low light, including the headlights of a EUC and hand-held torches of most kinds. Even a shadow on a sunny day may be enough to ruin 3D enough to miss a crack, bump or depression.

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I've also hit unexpected dips that lurch you forwards while it takes a split second for  the wheel to ride out of it.  Those are scary too since you don't see it coming.  I don't know how people ride in the dark at high speeds.  :o

Once I hit a dip too when I rode my V3 at night at about 25kph. The impact was so severe that not only I got immediate flat tire(the tube was broken on impact two places), but the aluminum rim also deformed. I felled but not injured because I was wearing motorcycle suit.
camera_1484922451708s.thumb.jpg.ea726970f1c3ff1852643808bba44c68.jpg

Snow chains on a EUC. Lovely!

--

Regarding the topic: well, this is how EUCs are - inherently unstable, AND just one wheel. You have to see the bumps, or you have to ride the bumps. That's the fun of it! Ridden quite some unexpected bumps in the dark. Fun!

And I have the same experience as @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, the meanest bumps are the one that get your feet off the pedals and ruin your foot positioning. But that's just how it is with these (usually simple vertical drops).

Definitely the heavier wheels feel more planted.  When I was riding my generic I'd be flying off the pedals pretty easily.  With the Ninebot it's much better, but every now and then you get some air time.  :blink:

@KalSeth hey what wheel are you riding?  Ever try going through Nose Hill Park?

45 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Definitely the heavier wheels feel more planted.  

I don't know, they all feel terrifying. Sure, bigger wheels are more planted but then I foolishly go faster.

Really soft legs helps a lot, it's incredible how bumps that are formidable with stuff legs, are of little consequence with soft bent legs.

Is putting suspension, like a spring with oil dampening, feasible?

18 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Even though 20 kph is by no means fast, I went over a sidewalk bump on a downhill that sent me airborne slightly and coming down my right foot position was way off (moved forwards).  I nearly lost control but cooler heads prevailed, and I was able to recover.  I haven't felt the need to add grip tape or the grip screws that I purchased for my Ninebot, but I'm kinda rethinking that.  :blink: Usually I ride pretty relaxed, but maybe I should have gripped onto the wheel more going over the bumps.

Usually I don't have any problems going over bumps, but this was a wake up call for sure espcially since I've been yearning for a faster wheel.  I'm sure going at higher speeds the chance of getting airborne are much greater.

I feel your pain Hunka.  I hit a bump I knew was there but didn't think it was as steep as it was.  Staying on my MCM4 was impossible and I was ejected.  Luckily I wasn't going that fast and there was a mailbox on a nearby building that I grabbed a hold of.  I frequently have my feet position changed by large bumps and drop offs.  I'm pretty sure the MCM is on the lighter side of the EUC spectrum.  It's something I've learned to deal with.  I frequently find myself riding with strange foot positions.  Maybe when I upgrade it'll be a different story.  As of now for me the foot shifting is a daily occurrence........................

About a year ago I was riding the Firewheel on a forest trail that was paved and reasonably smooth. That gave me a bit too much confidence; I was relaxed and wasn't paying enough attention but I must have been doing about 10mph. Suddenly the wheel disappeared and I found myself running. There was a subtle but deep sinkhole right in the middle of the path and the pedals had just dropped out from under my shoes! I just remember thinking, "Wow, not sure how I finished that on my feet!"

The bumps that hurt the worst are the ones where I don't have my knees bent and the jolt goes all the way up my spine.

An odd situation, which I guess isn't that odd since it happens a few times now, is getting my wheel caught in a v-shaped sidewalk cracks, and I run off but the wheel is stuck upright like Excalibur. 

Happens to me when I'm exploring new areas, just happened last Thursday. You gotta wiggle the wheel out as it takes some force.

I took my Ferrari on the off road rock crawling trail. I just don't understand. I can go very fast on the road but when on the trail the car body work got ripped apart by the rocks and I got stuck I this rock and the car exploded. I think Ferraris are crap and should never buy one. 

I am also riding the MCM4 like a couple others in this thread.

I just put my first 300km on it.  I am in the SW of the City and have only been to The WeaselHead and Glenmore park,  I want to make some time to go around FishCreek park.   Although after hearing about the barbed wire being strung across the path there I may be keeping my speed low.

A NoseHill ride followed by a Dim Sum brunch would be fun too.  

Yeah I saw that on the news about the barbed wire.  :blink:  There are some model citizens out there with some extra time on their hands.  :rolleyes:

Glenmore seems so crowded most of the time with tons of cyclists that I don't even go there.  Even walking on the paths can be hazardous.  Nosehill is good with some nice pathways and mix of dirt/gravel areas.

9 hours ago, LanghamP said:

An odd situation, which I guess isn't that odd since it happens a few times now, is getting my wheel caught in a v-shaped sidewalk cracks, and I run off but the wheel is stuck upright like Excalibur. 

Happens to me when I'm exploring new areas, just happened last Thursday. You gotta wiggle the wheel out as it takes some force.

PHOTOS!!!

Great subject. I had a spectacular wipeout that @jrkline witnessed as he was following me. Going between 10 and 15 mph I hit a speed bump that I totally forgot was there. On my older ACM. The ACM stopped immediately but I did a rolling superman into the ground. I think the reason that I didn't get injured (I did have my safety gear on) was the speedbump was near the bottom of a fairly steep trail 'offramp' that I was taking @jrkline on. So that reduced the vertical distance that I traveled to the ground.

It's a very jarring experience to hit something totally out of the blue. I'm much better at scanning the road now and taking nothing for granted when it comes to road conditions.

Archived