If you fell off EUC and got injured in the last few years, how are you all doing now?

Planetpapi

On 6/28/2017 at 5:14 PM, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Severe abrasion of chin and right fore arm. Did superman at 20mph due to exceeding last alarm. 

Was westing wrist guards which saved my hands. One wrist guard broke from the impact. Also knee guards which saved my knees. Knee guard scraped. Right forearm  lost lots of skin. Too three month to completely heal. Chin severe abrasion. Nose minor abrasion. Bicycle healmet saved my face. It too the hit for my forehead. 

I was sore on my whole body for two weeks. Lower back sour but not damaged. Both shoulders hurt for a while but all good.

protection is saved me from severe injury. Specially the knee guards, wrist guards and healmet. 

I wear all the time if I plan to go above 10mph. I added full motorcycle healmet and full body armored vest 

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

Make and model of the armored vest?

5 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

What make and model of wheel? Any idea why it cut out?

My cutout was on a DEFECT Ks16....and i was so stupid to ride it, even knowing that it was defect (capacitor broken off-pedals have allready been weak and soft).

Without beeing defect like here Kingsongs are not known to have that problem! (Ok, some cutout reports on early 1200watt version of Ks18a 2 years ago, but fixed since at least 1,5 years)

To calm you down some more: Until now i have not heard of even One single cutout from any on the KS "S" Series...and i got pretty good contacts to big rider groups in asia.

• Upvote 2

On 6/29/2017 at 0:57 PM, KingSong69 said:

Thumbs up for that description! this is exactly what a cut out did to me...

Trust must come back and safety gets a real new perspective!

What make/model of wheel did you have a cut out with? Do you know why it happened?

Disregard.. I saw your response to my previous post! Thanks!

Edited by GoinPostal
Updated

5 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

My cutout was on a DEFECT Ks16....and i was so stupid to ride it, even knowing that it was defect (capacitor broken off-pedals have allready been weak and soft).

Without beeing defect like here Kingsongs are not known to have that problem! (Ok, some cutout reports on early 1200watt version of Ks18a 2 years ago, but fixed since at least 1,5 years)

To calm you down some more: Until now i have not heard of even One single cutout from any on the KS "S" Series...and i got pretty good contacts to big rider groups in asia.

Riding a defective wheel? Why do we do that to ourselves? ?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

Sadly, I've gotten used to seeing this picture in X-ray B&W as my wrist slowly heals ....

What is your current healing status if I can ask? It was a Scaphoid fx if I remember correctly.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1

I also invested in one of these, and bought a d3o insert for the back:

MC-jacka-Jeff-2182-F_2739.jpg.4010915d6ea21ebc6f590e1d8a35e20e.jpg

So the jacket has built in CE2-level protection for shoulders and elbows, enough room for my wrist-protection and now good protection for the back.

Also, and part of my thinking, it doesn't make me look like robocop.

I found out though, that it didn't agree well with temperatures higher than ~20°C, at least not while going less than 20mph :D 

Edited by Scatcat
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

flexmeter.thumb.jpg.05704b194a2c541f2f64b6d808552ea4.jpg

Apart from a helmet, these are probably the best investment a rider can make.

Definately a solid exoskeleton structure. Other than a fiberglass cast your wrist supports appear to provide optimal protection while still allowing  full range of motion of your thumb and fingers. They also appear to be comfortable and easy to apply.

16 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

flexmeter.thumb.jpg.05704b194a2c541f2f64b6d808552ea4.jpg

Apart from a helmet, these are probably the best investment a rider can make.

I wish we had more detailed insights about EUC wrist injuries – especially from those wearing some kind of wristguards. The questions that some reports do not address:

1. what part of the wrist actually impacted the ground (tree, car, etc.)? If you were wearing wristguards, was it a side impact where the wrist is exposed? Which side?

2. If you were wearing wristguards, were the straps loose, snug, tight, or very tight?

My theory is that improper wear of wristguards may be a determining factor if one is injured, and that more side protection may be needed for EUC use. If they are loose they might shift or rotate, thus exposing the wrist during impact.

Edited by litewave

Just now, Rehab1 said:

Definately a solid exoskeleton structure. Other than a fiberglass cast your wrist supports appear to provide optimal protection while still allowing  full range of motion of your thumb and fingers. They also appear to be comfortable and easy to apply.

Yes, and they flex in the wrist, making movement progressively harder until you reach the point of overextension, where they won't flex no more. The idea is to dampen the force on the wrist without transferring it up the arm and create an alternate site for fractures.

Putting it on is as simple as donning a glove and then tighten two velcro strips. The skid pad can be taken off, if it interferes with what you're doing. But I find that the placement is perfect to make me able to do whatever I want without messing with the protection.

The top side is the main protection, the part that stops overextension and breaks, while the lower part helps with impact protection with d3o and skid pad.

12 minutes ago, litewave said:

I wish we had more detailed insights about wrist injuries. The questions that some reports do not address:

1. what part of the wrist actually impacted the ground (tree, car, etc.)? If you were wearing wristguards, was it a side impact where the wrist is exposed? Which side?

2. If you were wearing wristguards, were the straps loose, snug, tight, or very tight?

My theory is that improper wear of wristguards may be a determining factor if one is injured, and that more side protection may be needed for for EUC use. If they are loose they might shift or rotate, thus exposing the wrist during impact.

All protection is a compromise between the perfect protection and usability. In this case it doesn't shift much at all. The tightness comes naturally, if you overtighten the wrist-bands it becomes uncomfortable, if they're to loose you find if feels unsecured. The protective strips are rather long and not entirely stiff, leaving enough flex to dampen the impact force.

They're designed by a french orthopedist, to my knowledge the only ones with that kind of pedigree.

If you're hit from the side, they probably will work suboptimally, since the strips will be less flexible in that direction. Also if you fall with your hands fisted, you'll probably break your fingers. The only solution that would protect you from all directions and protect fingers and joints too, would be some form of combination of these "flexmeters" and a mc-glove with knuckle and joint armour.

The problem with that will of course be usability, since it would be awkward as h-ll to have them on - given you actually strap them on. A glove can always be taken off when needed, which is not so easy when they're strapped in place.

But if you're looking for the ultimate protection, there is a variant of these made for snowboarding with only the top side. It will still protect from overextension, but will be compact enough to actually wear gloves on top. Then a MC-glove with enough room in it can be worn to protect knuckles and fingers and provide some impact-protection for the palm of your hands.

Edited by Scatcat

Just now, Scatcat said:

All protection is a compromise between the perfect protection and usability. In this case it doesn't shift much at all. The tightness comes naturally, if you overtighten the wrist-bands it becomes uncomfortable, if they're to loose you find if feels unsecured. The protective strips are rather long and not entirely stiff, leaving enough flex to dampen the impact force.

They're designed by a french orthopedist, to my knowledge the only ones with that kind of pedigree.

If you're hit from the side, they probably will work suboptimally, since the strips will be less flexible in that direction. Also if you fall with your hands fisted, you'll probably break your fingers. The only solution that would protect you from all directions and protect fingers and joints too, would be some form of combination of these "flexmeters" and a mc-glove with knuckle and joint armour.

The problem with that will of course be usability, since it would be awkward as h-ll to have them on - given you actually strap them on. A glove can always be taken off when needed, which is not so easy when they're strapped in place.

Well, if the were designed by a Frenchman, they must be exquisite. ;)

I was speaking more to the pedestrian, lower cost wristguards (such as the Triple 8 wristsavers) that I wear. Two or more other riders have reported wrist injuries when wearing that model (or similar) after a fall. I have had a couple falls but have not had any issues. What I have noticed is that it takes proper technique to torque them down such that they offer the best protection. As with all safety gear, they must be worn properly and securely to function effectively.

6 minutes ago, litewave said:

Well, if the were designed by a Frenchman, they must be exquisite. ;)

I was speaking more to the pedestrian, lower cost wristguards (such as the Triple 8 wristsavers) that I wear. Two or more other riders have reported wrist injuries when wearing that model (or similar) after a fall. I have had a couple falls but have not had any issues. What I have noticed is that it takes proper technique to torque them down such that they offer the best protection. As with all safety gear, they must be worn properly and securely to function effectively.

I fell for the flexmeters after reading a paper about wrist-guards being tested. The researcher then went on about what the ideal wrist-guards would look like, and the flexmeters fits the bill perfectly.

His reasoning was:

• They should be fairly long, covering at least two thirds of the lower arm.
  • They should not be totally stiff, but allow some flex especially in the wrist where the momentum should be dampened gradually to a full stop before over-extension.
  • There should be some padding for the palm of the hand to avoid direct impact injuries.
Edited by Scatcat
  • Upvote 1

I wouldnt wear those ones with the plastic in them like inline skaters use, id just wear gloves like fox racing or something like that.

Why you may ask?...

If im falling and i pit my hands out to stop myself i dont want my hands sliding when they hit the ground because they are probably whats stoppjng me from smashing my face.

Put your hands out and they slide the rest of the momentum is stil coming.

Split my chin open a little bit once doing a standing back sault because my right foot landed on a slippery surface and when that foot slipped out the rest of my weight come down hard

8 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Until now i have not heard of even One single cutout from any on the KS "S" Series....

Same here. The only ks cut out i know of from the D and S series was my own ks14d 

My fault tho. 

Was the day after i smashed my wheel into a pole at 30km/h showing off riding backwards.

Considering it was solid until then and it turned out my inner casing was in about 12 pieces (i taped it lol) im going to say im fairly confident that was my fault

I tell everyone to get kingsong for a reason and its got nothing to do with anything that may benifit me and everything to do with my faith in them more than any of the other wheels i have sold as a safe reliable wheel

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, dalewalker said:

I wouldnt wear those ones with the plastic in them like inline skaters use, id just wear gloves like fox racing or something like that.

Why you may ask?...

If im falling and i pit my hands out to stop myself i dont want my hands sliding when they hit the ground because they are probably whats stoppjng me from smashing my face.

Put your hands out and they slide the rest of the momentum is stil coming.

Split my chin open a little bit once doing a standing back sault because my right foot landed on a slippery surface and when that foot slipped out the rest of my weight come down hard

Sound like a good reason for a full face helmet...

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

@litewave Do invest in flexmeters, I don't understand how I could trust my former "inline skating" wristguards after trying these on. Sure they cost somewhere around $80, but they're worth every cent.

Actually, they are deeply discounted at REI at the moment.  

https://www.rei.com/product/875616/demon-flexmeter-double-sided-wrist-guards

• Upvote 1