If you fell off EUC and got injured in the last few years, how are you all doing now?

Planetpapi

1 hour ago, Chris Westland said:

EUC's are much slower, and your body drops down (or is thrown down, which is what has happened on both of my injuries).  On EUC's you need good shock absorption, and control of joint movement (e.g., wrists).  I like the strategy of rolling; but as one of my friends who has extensive background in skateboarding just found, if you don't wear protection, you're still likely to break or tear something (he had an AC separation from his roll when he fell off his MCM4).  

I'm with Chris on this one from my direct experience. I had a faceplant between 16-19 mph, had my hands out but elbows up, and ninja rolled that bad boy with minimal injury. Why bother trying to completely stop your body from a height with your wrist when you can instead roll it out and keep running.

The key seems to be keeping your elbows way up.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I'm with Chris on this one from my direct experience. I had a faceplant between 16-19 mph, had my hands out but elbows up, and ninja rolled that bad boy with minimal injury. Why bother trying to completely stop your body from a height with your wrist when you can instead roll it out and keep running.

The key seems to be keeping your elbows way up.

Haven't had a faceplant yet, but I'm afraid of them.  I just purchased a Shock Doctor Ultra Carbon Chin Strap 41fn9-Am+fL.jpg

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

Haven't had a faceplant yet, but I'm afraid of them.  I just purchased a Shock Doctor Ultra Carbon Chin Strap 41fn9-Am+fL.jpg

I had not thought of this thinking that a helmet would offer enough protection.

How fast would you be going usually?

12 hours ago, dalewalker said:

Here is a good video i found showing how to fall. 

Judo and gymnastics are also great for learning how to fall

That's all great, but how are you going to train these reflexes? Mod your EUC so it randomly cuts out and you make the right movement once this happens? It's very hard to override your own reflexes, especially when it goes extremely fast (cut out at vmax for instance).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Having been through falls in both sports, my feeling is that strategies are entirely different

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare euc crashes to crashes experienced by downhill bikers or people doing motorcross?

16 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare euc crashes to crashes experienced by downhill bikers or people doing motorcross?

Sure, and the same general ideas apply.

You want gear that will help prevent impact damage to the "corners" of your body such as head/face, hands, elbows, and knees.  Shoulders too if you really want to be safe. I wear a motocross armored shirt that covers the shoulder armor element as well.

That gear must protect from direct initial impact and redirect initial impact force via a design element that promotes a slide rather than a stop/grab.

The motorcycle racing gear reference was to argue against the theory that abrasion resistance was the primary /only requirement in protective gear.

Falling correctly is not an option I want to rely upon.

Watch from minute 3:55

Edited by Pard
  • Upvote 1

It's something I am still researching atm. What to wear on top of the g form stuff that doesn't tear up immediately, protects from thorns and is not some super hot motorcycle pant/jacket combo. Clearly a cotton long sleeve won't cut it :)  Jeans might do just fine for the pants though, since I am not going 30mph.

As a minimum. Wear a full face helmet and gloves. A fall will mess you up, but the head will stay intact and you can still use your hands to call for help.

Recomended protection would be, Full face helmet,gloves,knee and shoulder protection and chestplate. This can be bought as a MC summerjacket with everything already installed inside the material. The kneeprotection can be bought seperate.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, YoshiSkySun said:

Yeah, but who rides at 10mph? Where's the fun in that? ;)

When I see some videos ... it seems some people do that.

8 minutes ago, YoshiSkySun said:

That's okay. We all gotta start somewhere.

Same here the first week. 4 weeks later and we are getting speed warnings at 18 mph ...

I use a gauge for wearing protection of- would I wear this while running. So no, I would not wear a helmet when I run, and I wont wear a helmet on say a 12mph maximum Segway ninebot one a. I would wear gear like elbow pads and wrist protectors though because when you ride on the road, you only need to clip one rear view mirror with your elbow to ruin your day. The wrist protectors protect against biting dogs and branches that lurch out at you on windy trails.:w00t2:

I cannot run at 19mph for very long and not above that unless its off a cliff. So I dont think my body was made for a lot of damage in this range and above, so I would use gear to mitigate this flaw in my inherent design:efef2e0fff: . Of course, its up to everyone to take responsibility for themselves to the degrees they see fit the circumstances. However, when some people go beyond the limits and then cry foul, it harms everyone else who was being responsible in tighter regulation and more pushback from local municipalities in restrictions. Even those who only hurt themselves wind up hurting others who miss riding with them while they are injured.?

I have left the house forgetting my helmet, but I ride accordingly. There should be more competitive sports clothing that feels and looks comfortable while protecting the riders. Hello Under Armor and Peter Millar!! Btw you can get a helmet printed in so many styles. I have even seen a Trump hairdo helmet, which I believe may increase your risk of injury depending on where you ride.?

Lastly, a condom can remain wrapped up in my pocket, since I have never seen a circumstance of sudden coitus while wiping out. I assume there will be plenty of time to get the job done.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

No. EUC crashes are more akin to the bouncer grabbing you by the seat of your pants and shirt collar then hurling you face-first off the steps of that bar while a crowd laughs uproariously.

And how exactly does this differ from a downhill mountainbike crash?

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh God, I love that last paragraph :cheers:

Regarding helmets. About a week ago i was riding somewhere on a sidewalk and must not have been paying close enough attention when I got whacked in the head by a low hanging branch. Because I had my helmet it was a non-event. But I hit it pretty hard, so I think I would have been injured without the helmet. Anecdotal, I know.

I'm with you on helmets.

I even think helmets should be worn when playing soccer.

Unlike what some are proposing no helmets when on bikes.