If you fell off EUC and got injured in the last few years, how are you all doing now?

Planetpapi

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Looks like an Mten2.   Aw man, even the greats do fall from time to time. :cry2:  He seems to be a Group two or three rider.  Hopefully he is okay and wasn't carrying someone as per usual.  :rolleyes:

He hit what appeared to be a tree limb hanging down as he going though the woods only carrying the small wheel over his shoulder. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Alex Segmueller took a fall recently. That guy never falls! I saw a grainy video where he was carrying the smaller wheel on the ground while riding  the NB1 when he hit a tree limb.? Having problems down loading it. 

36415415361_077f59df37_b.jpg

Hopefully he wasn't carrying a woman at the time :)

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I say this though. If this is the result of a 3mph faceplant I'm damn glad I pad up to ride at 20mph.

I've learned through hard experience, and relearned a few more times, that you neglect the protective gear at your peril.  It's not like you won't eventually heal from the abrasions, contusions, and fractures.  But the convalescence from injury is dead time.  You aren't enjoying anything or learning anything new while you're healing.  Ounce of prevention...

• Upvote 3

On 13.8.2017 at 0:43 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Okay okay I've run outta reps, but I do see both your points.  Does it cost that much more for a few waterproof connectors, thicker axles, better wiring, and sealed control boards/batteries?  Sure.  Would people mind paying more for those features?  I think they would be okay with it.  Would @EUC Extreme pay a premium for a wheel that he can have a buxom blonde throw down a rocky cliff into a lake and survive?  I bet he likely would.

I am also very much anxious about why not doing well. It would be a good selling point. And it does not cost much.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, radial said:

I've learned through hard experience, and relearned a few more times, that you neglect the protective gear at your peril.  It's not like you won't eventually heal from the abrasions, contusions, and fractures.  But the convalescence from injury is dead time.  You aren't enjoying anything or learning anything new while you're healing.  Ounce of prevention...

Yeah, that's very much a big part of the problem of injuries for sporty types -- it takes you out of the game.  Even if you don't fall behind, your best case scenario is missing out on a lot of fun. :(

• Upvote 1

Yoshi -- hope you feel better soon.  You look better than your EUC, at least.  And those must have been some nasty rocks indeed.

Re waterproofing and price premiums -- these machines are so expensive that if there were some way of making them safer and/or higher quality in any significant way that wasn't an absolute rip-off, you can count me in as someone who would pay extra for it. 

Re riding in water, Kingsong has a video up showing a couple of their guys going through pretty deep water, and I posted another showing a guy going through a parking lot with his Kingsong wheel pretty darn deep in the water.  I had assumed that EUC's couldn't do anything near that, since some apparently come with warnings about merely being in the rain.  But apparently some Kingsongs, at least, do very well in the water.

If I didn't believe a EUC could weather getting caught in the rain, I never would have considered buying one, by the way.  There's a difference between being an impractical person and being just plain stupid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

Yoshi -- hope you feel better soon.  You look better than your EUC, at least.  And those must have been some nasty rocks indeed.

Re waterproofing and price premiums -- these machines are so expensive that if there were some way of making them safer and/or higher quality in any significant way that wasn't an absolute rip-off, you can count me in as someone who would pay extra for it. 

Re riding in water, Kingsong has a video up showing a couple of their guys going through pretty deep water, and I posted another showing a guy going through a parking lot with his Kingsong wheel pretty darn deep in the water.  I had assumed that EUC's couldn't do anything near that, since some apparently come with warnings about merely being in the rain.  But apparently some Kingsongs, at least, do very well in the water.

If I didn't believe a EUC could weather getting caught in the rain, I never would have considered buying one, by the way.  There's a difference between being an impractical person and being just plain stupid.

Gotway wheels run great in water too. I've run all of mine in water that has covered the pedals. But I think it's a bit much to expect any wheel that is wholly submerged in water to survive.

See a little demonstration here of Gotway water riding:

or this one

Edited by Marty Backe

Sorry about your accident @YoshiSkySun, that photo in the wheelchair is really impressive. At least you only have superficial injuries, I will be happy if I save a 30mph falling like you did. Sorry too for your euc, no body expect a vehicle catching fire after a water dive. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, EvenOdd said:

Fell off my ACM on August 6th and broke my collar bone (right clavicle, and I'm right handed :cry2:). Wasn't paying attention as I looked down and reached for a water bottle in my backpack. Barely went off the edge of a paved greenway path and the left pedal caught the edge of the asphalt and threw me. No time to react as I was cruising around 15-20 mph. Luckily, I was wearing a helmet, as my head hit the ground pretty hard.That ACM is my 4th wheel and i have put 1000 miles on it without incident...guess I got a little over confident...I don't know. Typing this with one hand. It's been a painful experience and I'm not sure if i'll ride again after I recover. I feel for those with worse injuries.

Hope for a fast recovery. As someone who has been injured (no broken bones) a couple of times, it did take a few weeks to get my confidence back.  So I know how you feel now, but give it time and don't make any rash decisions (liking selling your ACM). Good luck.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, EvenOdd said:

Thanks Marty! Definitely not selling yet, but won't be riding again until November at the soonest. I get married in October, so even if i heal up by then I'm going to stay off of it until after the honeymoon.

Just 3 weeks ago I witnessed my friend fall off his ACM. Someone walking by on the sidewalk threw him a high five and caught him off guard which caused him to lose his balance. He fell and he broke his hand. Sold his ACM the next day. I teased him for not wanting to get "back on the horse" so maybe my accident was karma lol. Anyways, I figure i'll wait until I'm healed up before I make any decisions. 

Someone gave me a high five once and I stupidly returned it. In hindsight he threw it at me with such force I think he was trying to throw me off the wheel :furious:  Fortunately I maintained balance, but with great difficulty. Never again.

• Upvote 3

On 14.8.2017 at 9:24 AM, Marty Backe said:

Gotway wheels run great in water too. I've run all of mine in water that has covered the pedals. But I think it's a bit much to expect any wheel that is wholly submerged in water to survive.

Offtopic, and for the record:

On Gotways, the pedal arm directly forms an open channel through the shell to the low-lying board (ACM, msuper V3). While shortly riding through deeper water (above pedal height) might have worked because water had no time to get in due to the current from moving, even standing in that depth for a while should guarantee fried electronics. Have a look at the geometry of your Gotways.

14 minutes ago, electricpen said:

I got thrown from my KS-16s at near max speed today, I hit a really deep hole that I couldn't see well at 22 mph. Fortunately, I was wearing full gear and only got a few scrapes. The main impact was on hands, would have at least one broken wrist for sure without wristguards. Don't leave home without them!

Is the wheel ok????!!!!!

:P

Good you were wearing protection when speeding as a new rider:)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Is the wheel ok????!!!!!

The wheel is fine, I hadn't removed the carpet padding from the KS yet so it probably didn't even get scratched. It didn't go very far because hitting the bump threw both me and the wheel in the air. I tried to keep my feet on the pedals but I elevated faster or further than the wheel did and when I landed my toes were just barely on the back of the pedals. This caused me to fall over backward but also essentially braked and turned the wheel over in place. It stopped right next to me.

• Upvote 2

yes, all those injuries are terrible and i hope everybody heals nicely. not hurt myself yet, because little ninebot is due friday and ks-16s saturday. all my biker buddies i use to ride with, ribbed me about wearing a helmet. one was ex fl hwy patrol motorman, other nypd cop retired back at work investigating accidents for fdle. no helmets for them, they were tough. harley guys. can u imagine hitting a muffler tail pipe strewn across your lane diagonally, or pvc pipe bouncing out of of plumbers truck rack. if i master the basics, i intend on riding these things like my motorcycle. i always felt like a cat in a kennel full of dogs built on a minefield. govern my speed and safety equipment divided by how many beers i had. i always get hurt when i get complacent, with anything. i figure at least on a multi use path, cars might not be a problem, but i'll still look for those idiots.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Offtopic, and for the record:

On Gotways, the pedal arm directly forms an open channel through the shell to the low-lying board (ACM, msuper V3). While shortly riding through deeper water (above pedal height) might have worked because water had no time to get in due to the current from moving, even standing in that depth for a while should guarantee fried electronics. Have a look at the geometry of your Gotways.

Is the wheel ok????!!!!!

Good point, and you are correct. I'll try and keep that in mind for my future water rides :)

8 minutes ago, esaj said:

Ouch, that sounds pretty bad. There's some pretty nasty looking cuts and bruises in this thread, hope everyone's ok or at least healing fast.

I've had a few falls, but nothing major (my worst one was on the very first day on wheel back in 2015), this summer my only two mishaps leading to fall/dismount have been hitting rocks with the KS16 pedals, once on the first or maybe second ride with it, when I had to go around an unexpected obstacle through a rocky hillside (inflatable mattress put in the middle of the bikelane at evening due to some event the next day, "color obstacle course run" or whatever it was called), just dismounted there from a slow speed. Second time I fell on my back and hands (but had a backpack with my jacket in it and full gear, so no harm) when we went a bit "too offroad" (a small rocky path that would be hard to even walk on, nevertheless ride :D), again from a very slow speed.

Maybe about a month or more back, riding with a friend, I somehow managed not to see a smaller speed bump (that's very clearly marked!) on the road in a place where there's no bike lane or pedestrian walkway, pretty rare around here, and rode onto it at full speed:

1dZia6d.png

I don't remember how it happened, maybe I had the sun in my eyes or was concentrating on other traffic on the road. Doesn't look that bad, it's maybe something like 5-10cm at highest point (2-4 inch or so), but riding onto it at full speed with my knees pretty much locked straight (so no cushioning from there), it threw me straight up from the pedals. For a second there, I was pretty sure I'm going to get really banged up, but landed back on the pedals and kept going. Stupid, and lucky... My friend riding behind me (who had noticed the bump and slowed down :P) told me that I took some pretty serious air there.

I hate unseen speed bumps. I hit one at high speed and ended up doing a "super man" into the ground. No injuries or scrapes because of my gear.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

It hit an unseen bump the other day at full speed, jesus I wish I had it on tape, when I landed on my pedals I swung into the most ridiculous oversized speed wobble I could imagine, the wheel was wildly wobbling in HUGE amounts, I resigned to the fact that I was going to get hurt. I held my hands in front of my face and bent my knees, but I didn't fall. I wobbled half a block down the street and then smoothed out and kept going.

Anyone had a wild post jump wobbling, like huge swaying? Ahh, it was crazy and I was scared the whole rest of the ride :D

I've had a couple high speed wobbles that scared the bejesus out of me. No falls luckily.

44 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Someone gave me a high five once and I stupidly returned it. In hindsight he threw it at me with such force I think he was trying to throw me off the wheel :furious:  Fortunately I maintained balance, but with great difficulty. Never again.

I had that happen once also on my wheel, it was more akin to a vicious right hand than a gentle high five, about as hard as one could throw a punch. I didn't crash either but my hand stung a lot.

Now I will not high five anyone on my wheel, I do weave just out of reach. Simply assume all people on sidewalks want to knock you out and steal your wheel.

• Upvote 1