Dear Gotway, Please Consider These Upgrades

@Zenko Due to battery configuration in nearly all wheels, even fast chargers will result in a current that is much lower than what each battery cell can take. Nothing to worry about with fast chargers. Other parts of the wheel will melt long before the batteries themselves are overstressed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Dingfelder @TremF @Christoph Zens 

Regarding my "Destroying the competition" comment.  Personally I want good competition of course. If we actually had better competition my list wouldn't even be necessary. But this post is also kind of a Love Letter to Gotway, where I want to stroke their ego. Compliments go a long way in life, and mine are sincere - I'm their biggest fan :D

Since I posted this in the Gotway section I figure it's OK to offend the sensibilities of non-Gotway riders ;) 

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

<snip>

If you can't wait for GW there is a board for $9.99 usd from http://m.tomtop.com/modules-219/p-e1184.html. There is plenty of room inside most GW shells to mount this. You would need to cut small holes or slots for speakers.

<snip>

That's very cool, and simple. Tempting to experiment. I wonder how loud speakers driven by this would be? Thanks for this post, I need to ponder this idea. Oh, and if you do replace the tone beeper with a speaker I would be fascinated to get your feedback on that - also seems like an easy thing to do.

36 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's very cool, and simple. Tempting to experiment. I wonder how loud speakers driven by this would be? That's for this post, I need to ponder this idea. Oh, and if you do replace the tone beeper with a speaker I would be fascinated to get your feedback on that - also seems like an easy thing to do.

I ordered a similar module from Amazon today along with two 5 watt 2" speakers. I may attempt to try one of the speakers as a substitute for the tone beeper. I am not sure if I can connect both the BT module and the beeper wires to the speakers!

Your do know that your sundry list of excellent suggested improvements has set me back a week for completing my ACM mods!;)

26 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I ordered a similar module from Amazon today along with two 5 watt 2" speakers. I may attempt to try one of the speakers as a substitute for the tone beeper. I am not sure if I can connect both the BT module and the beeper wires to the speakers!

Your do know that your sundry list of excellent suggested improvements has set me back a week for completing my ACM mods!;)

Can't wait to read your report back.  Hey, what's one week out of ...., what, 30 weeks so far :laughbounce2:

Does anyone know if the tone beeper speaker is like a buzzer beeper and not just a speaker?  If it's a dedicated buzzer sort of device with some electronics built in, swapping in a regular speaker even if it's within the same voltage probably won't work.  If it's purely a device that beeps when a certain voltage is sent to it, a regular speaker in it's place might just click or maybe hum.  Ever attach a small battery to a small speaker?  It just ticks and hums a bit.  If it is the controller that is sending an audio signal out to the speaker, then it might be possible to swap speakers or even add in an amplifed one.

EDIT: I wonder if it is like one of these piezo buzzer beepers that is fed a DC voltage to beep.  A regular speaker likely won't work.  You might be able to swap it for a louder piezo buzzer though, but check what voltage it requires.  This one is 95 dB. It looks like they seem to work with a variable voltage from 3 to 24V.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-3-24V-Black-Piezo-Electronic-Tone-Buzzer-Alarm-Continuous-Sound-12V-DC-95DB/251931992205

This one might be louder?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Floyd-Bell-Inc-M-80-Piezo-Alarm-ultra-loud-buzzer-103-dB-at-2-feet-Lot-/231547873965

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Does anyone know if the tone beeper speaker is like a buzzer beeper and not just a speaker?  If it's a dedicated buzzer sort of device with some electronics built in, swapping in a regular speaker even if it's within the same voltage probably won't work.  If it's purely a device that beeps when a certain voltage is sent to it, a regular speaker in it's place might just click or maybe hum.  Ever attach a small battery to a small speaker?  It just ticks and hums a bit.  If it is the controller that is sending an audio signal out to the speaker, then it might be possible to swap speakers or even add in an amplifed one.

Hopefully someone can chime in, but I really think it's a simple buzzer not a speaker. A speaker would require more circuitry/processing on the control board. Maybe @Rehab1 will be able to answer this definitively.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hopefully someone can chime in, but I really think it's a simple buzzer not a speaker. A speaker would require more circuitry/processing on the control board. Maybe @Rehab1 will be able to answer this definitively.

its just a buzzer...i have to replace it 2 times now on my MSuper V3 :blink:

35 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

EDIT: I wonder if it is like one of these piezo buzzer beepers that is fed a DC voltage to beep.  A regular speaker likely won't work.  You might be able to swap it for a louder piezo buzzer though, but check what voltage it requires.  This one is 95 dB. It looks like they seem to work with a variable voltage from 3 to 24V.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-3-24V-Black-Piezo-Electronic-Tone-Buzzer-Alarm-Continuous-Sound-12V-DC-95DB/251931992205

This one might be louder?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Floyd-Bell-Inc-M-80-Piezo-Alarm-ultra-loud-buzzer-103-dB-at-2-feet-Lot-/231547873965

I don't know how loud the original buzzers are, but around 100dB might be a bit too loud already? :P

70 Irritating Television set on loud, vacuum cleaner, several people on the telephone
75 Constant sound Busy restaurant around lunchtime
80 Unpleasant Alarm clock, freight traffic, doorbell
85 Loud Sawing, mixer
90 Extremely unpleasant Truck close by, screaming, yelling, shouting
95 Noisy Drill, violin
100 Extremely unpleasant Machine in a factory, compressor, fighter jet at 300 m
105 Even louder Helicopter close by, large drum
110 Extremely loud Rock concert, chainsaw

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

OMG ....looky what I found! A Programmable Piezo Buzzer!:clap3:

This little device connects to any 12VDC source in the same manner as commonly available buzzers and piezo sounders, yet allows you to program up to 30 seconds of any WAV or MP3 file via USB from your computer. With the flexibility of programming your own sounds, you are no longer required to listen to the standard tones, beeps, buzzes or alarm signals. The programmable indicator allows you to give voice instructions along with a warning signal or a unique tone if multiple warning devices are used in the same area. It cost $19.99 but received great reviews. 

Does anyone know what the voltage output to the GW buzzer is when activated? Unfortunately you would be limited to one sound instead of the multiple buzzer sounds.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Can't wait to read your report back.  Hey, what's one week out of ...., what, 30 weeks so far :laughbounce2:

The mod list just keeps on growing!

10 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

OMG ....looky what I found! A Programmable Piezo Buzzer!:clap3:

This little device connects to any 12VDC source in the same manner as commonly available buzzers and piezo sounders, yet allows you to program up to 30 seconds of any WAV or MP3 file via USB from your computer. With the flexibility of programming your own sounds, you are no longer required to listen to the standard tones, beeps, buzzes or alarm signals. The programmable indicator allows you to give voice instructions along with a warning signal or a unique tone if multiple warning devices are used in the same area. It cost $19.99 but received great reviews. 

Does anyone know what the voltage output to the GW buzzer is when activated? Unfortunately you would be limited to one sound instead of the multiple buzzer sounds.

The mod list just keeps on growing!

Isn't it a wonderful world that we live in. It seems that anything that we may desire (like a drop-in buzzer replacement) exists and is a click away.

That programmable buzzer may not be very loud though. I think you want at least 105db - helicopter near by :)

I have my doubts that it would work. I'm sure it generates output only for the duration of the input voltage. If Gotway is generating a 200ms pulse  then you will probably only hear 200ms of whatever sound you program into it. The spec sheet should answer these kind of questions.

Are you in the process of hijacking my thread :furious: ???

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

its just a buzzer...i have to replace it 2 times now on my MSuper V3 :blink:

Wow, what kind of abuse do you give your V3?

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I have my doubts that it would work. I'm sure it generates output only for the duration of the input voltage. If Gotway is generating a 200ms pulse  then you will probably only hear 200ms of whatever sound you program into it. The spec sheet should answer these kind of questions.

If you're into tinkering, it shouldn't take much more than something like a basic 555-timer chip + maybe a comparator (if needed, for buffering and/or inverting the input) + a few extra basic components (resistors, caps) to make a board that triggers on the pulse from the mainboard and keeps the buzzer on as long as necessary. Just a thought.

1 minute ago, esaj said:

If you're into tinkering, it shouldn't take much more than something like a basic 555-timer chip + maybe a comparator (if needed, for buffering and/or inverting the input) + a few extra basic components (resistors, caps) to make a board that triggers on the pulse from the mainboard and keeps the buzzer on as long as necessary. Just a thought.

Agreed, and that sounds like an effective solution (it's been 35 years since I last played with a 555 chip - good to know that they are still made). Just wanted @Rehab1 to know that it probably won't work by simply dropping it in.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Agreed, and that sounds like an effective solution (it's been 35 years since I last played with a 555 chip - good to know that they are still made). Just wanted @Rehab1 to know that it probably won't work by simply dropping it in.

Yeah, those things are still around, and you can get something like 100 pieces for <2$ with free shipping off Aliexpress. I actually ordered one that can go up to 3MHz (not from Aliexpress though, guess they have the "basic" up to around 100kHz models only) on impulse when getting some other stuff a while ago :D No idea where I'd need a 3MHz 555 really... :P And then I wonder why all my drawers and shelves are full of junk ;)

i can see how some might think the trolley handle is flimsy, however, i think it's fine if all you're trying to do is let the msuper lead you forward ;) . if they were going to make it sturdier or more solid, it would add more weight. i'm more interested in an on-board battery level display... and better screws :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, kour said:

i can see how some might think the trolley handle is flimsy, however, i think it's fine if all you're trying to do is let the msuper lead you forward ;) . if they were going to make it sturdier or more solid, it would add more weight. i'm more interested in an on-board battery level display... and better screws :rolleyes:

I was hoping there would be an easy way to make it stronger, but from what I hear, it's not just weak metal but that the point where it meets the plastic sheet isn't very strong.  Maybe that could be reinforced somehow?  

7 minutes ago, kour said:

i'd be curious to know, actually, if there's a way to construct the shell so there aren't any screws!

There's certainly a way to design the shell to be assembled with bolts. The nuts can be captured within the plastic shell and then the bolts thread into them. It's not rocket science but assembly would be slower and the shells would be more expensive to manufacture. But we're not talking huge amounts of money. Given how much these performance wheels cost, it can be done. Hopefully it's just a matter of time.

Now that they've squeezed just about all the performance you can expect from the EUC form factor, hopefully they will start focusing high quality wheels, components, features, etc.

23 minutes ago, kour said:

I agree. The trolley handle works perfect for me every time I use it. I wonder what some people do with their wheels where the trolley handle is not strong enough.

1 hour ago, kour said:

I ride to the city everyday and once I am there when there are too many people around I walk it nothing else I don't put anymore stress onto it or lift it in anyway. I have had my wheel for just on 2 months, the trolley handle when pull out is now a lot more lose when I first got it. The wobbles a lot worst now it will eventually snap off, if the trolley handle is used once in a while I sure it will be fine, but it is not designed for long term use. 

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I ride to the city everyday and once I am there when there are too many people around I walk it nothing else I don't put anymore stress onto it or lift it in anyway. I have had my wheel for just on 2 months, the trolley handle when pull out is now a lot more lose when I first got it. The wobbles a lot worst now it will eventually snap off, if the trolley handle is used once in a while I sure it will be fine, but it is not designed for long term use. 

That's good to know. I might use mine once a week, maybe.

On Facebook or here, just recently someone had their MSuper opened and posted some pictures which included what looked like padding that was inside the handle area. It's easy to open the MSuper side panel. Maybe you should open yours and see what has changed inside. It's not very complex. You could probably re-secure the handle mechanism fairly easily.

On 6/7/2017 at 11:12 PM, Marty Backe said:

I don't know if you will ever see this letter. I'm your biggest fan and want you to succeed and destroy all of your meager competition. Maybe some of my suggestions can help you stay the number one EUC manufacturer in the world. I'm rooting for you :clap3:

Wow, that was an awesome list of suggestions. I would call that a blueprint for total domination of the EUC market! 

On 6/8/2017 at 0:29 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I've always wondered whether some sort of metal subframe could be made onto which the plastic shells are mounted to.  That gives the screws a better purchase point on metal rather than expect the plastic to hold things together.  Although the shell isn't stress bearing, it does have to support the weight of the batteries and control board.  Why not have like a metal spine at least like the Ninebot One?

The large, heavy designs would especially benefit from this idea.

On 6/8/2017 at 1:59 AM, TremF said:

Up to now Gotway looks to have been listening to it's customers requests in that they have made their EUC's faster and put in bigger batteries also changed the shell type on, at least, one of their wheels to make it more suitable (I couldn't believe it when they released the glossy MSuper V3) added the trolley handle into the design of the MSuper V3 and changed pedal designs slightly. 

I agree, Gotway does seem to be using customer feedback to continuously improve the product. I think this is essential for the long-term success of Gotway.

I wish more testing was done BEFORE shipping wheels to dealers and customers instead of AFTER the customers find the problems! The weak screws and weak shells are two examples that in my opinion, should have been detected and fixed PRIOR to releasing the product.

Archived