EUC fitness?

Bwuce Wee

Hi,

I don't own an EUC yet but i'm doing research and was actually just wondering, has anyone lost weight feel fitter when using an EUC?  I doubt it's more intense than cycling but surely there's loads of muscles being used to balance it still?

Let us know! A good excuse to use to convince the wife!

Bwuce Wee

We had a similar discussion here: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/623-calorie-burn/

In my personal experience, yes learning to ride an euc was a bit of an excersie. But more because I was all tense and nervous. Now, after a little while I am riding all relaxed, "hands in pockets" and believe I am actually burning less calories than walking a similar distance.

Although I might have actually strengthend my sense of balance.

But the main question is would you have walked the distance if you hadn't been riding a euc?

The great thing about eucs is that once you've learnt to ride them you want to be out on them all the time!

Any excuse will do! :)

But the main question is would you have walked the distance if you hadn't been riding a euc?

The great thing about eucs is that once you've learnt to ride them you want to be out on them all the time!

Any excuse will do! :)

I'm with Gimlet here, and from personal experience.  But first, we have to remember that there are many different fitness levels that are riding these things.  If you are in tip-top shape and snowboarding or whatever, then riding a EUC may be nothing to you.  

As an asthmatic with a sit-down job who was in really not good shape, I can say that for me it was and remains an excellent workout.  Regarding Gimlet's post: NO, I would not have walked the distance.  As to the second sentence, the EUC does make it fun and I'm out trying to ride 10 miles *every* day.  I don't skip a day. 

I can not ride a bike or run nor jog.  My breathing doesn't let me.  The wheel is a non-aerobic exercise (I'm not out of breath) but still it builds my core muscles and it burns fat.  If it is not building one's core muscles nor burning fat, then maybe one is not riding it in different settings.  Slow, fast, cutting back and forth, cutting corners.  Or maybe it is because one is already in super shape?  It is always a workout for me - maybe because I started in such poor shape?  Maybe. 

I had to switch to a smaller belt.  On the smaller belt I am constantly switching to a lower belt-hole.  I have only lost about 11 pounds as of today, from riding for 4 months, but I've lost a lot of inches.  I'm certain that I have built muscle mass while losing a lot of fat.  Way more than 11 pounds of fat, and gained muscle mass which is why the weight loss seems so modest.  I have also gained a great deal in the balance department. 

So, a super fit guy may not find it to be exercise.  Especially if not going out and riding until one's legs feel sore and tired.  For me, 10 miles a day in various riding situations is a heck of a workout, and my results prove that to me.

It may not be for everyone. Depends. 

See, this is great news, while i did not expect it to be a cardio-workout, i was hoping it would strengthen muscles at least.

I practice badminton and love it, but sports like running, cycling, etc never kept my interest.   I did thoroughly enjoy rollerblades back when i was younger but then again it included some stunts etc...

I just find them incredibly boring.  With the EUC i think i'll have more fun doing it, while of course, it's not the same level of burning calories.  And like some said, i'd be more motivated to do short trips without using my car.

Thanks for your contributions guys.

Bwuce

Sorry, but I'm not your opinion at all. Riding my EUC is like standing in a moving bus - and thats about how much calories I burn. And I'm a fat kinda guy that doesn't do any sports. Riding an EUC doesn't make me sweat, nor does it make me breath any harder than standing around drinking beer... although I do have to admit that I didn't do regular driving yet - so any core-muscle related theories couldn't be witnessed yet in my case ;)

When i an riding on rough terrain i bend my knees slightly to absorb impacts and this is quite good exercise for the legs if you do that for more than 1 hour . Anyway , when i am riding i am not in front of the television eating snacks.

I would say it was this year a lot easier to start inline skating(rollerblading)/kitesurfing season and I give some credit for that to EUC.

BTW, I rode some time keeping my hands in my pockets ( because it looks cooler), but not any more. Keeping your hands on your side helps to keep your posture better and gives some work for abs/back muscles. I do like the feeling of complete body control when you are riding like that in forest paths avoiding rocks and constantly calculating the best path.

But more because I was all tense and nervous. Now, after a little while I am riding all relaxed, "hands in pockets" and believe I am actually burning less calories than walking a similar distance.

Considering what I sweat, I would even say that riding burns less calories than walking a similar time, and way less than walking a similar distance. But riding take in a lot of wind, thus more evaporation, so my estimate is probably not correct. Walking is very energy intensive anyway, so comparing it to riding as to fat burning is unfair for our monowheels.

But I don't say that to my lady. She is an absolute beginner and sweating (and suffering) a lot.

Don't know if I can attribute it to riding the EUC, but I rode a little less than 30km route today with my bicycle (which I haven't used at all since I got the 14" generic, so for about 3 months, and don't really exercise otherwise), and at least I'm not totally out of shape. I would have taken the EUC, but knew the route would be too long for the batteries, as I had to visit shops in different sides of town to get the final missing equipment (connectors, wires, hot glue gun etc.), and was half expecting that I'd be really out of shape and would have to ride slow, but no problem there, feel like I could have gone for a lot more (I used to ride 50-75km trips at one go just for exercise). Actually rode the last 10km part pretty fast, although don't know how fast, as the bike computer is currently attached to the Firewheel :D

• 2 years later...
On 7/24/2015 at 10:56 PM, Bwuce Wee said:

Hi,

I don't own an EUC yet but i'm doing research and was actually just wondering, has anyone lost weight feel fitter when using an EUC?  I doubt it's more intense than cycling but surely there's loads of muscles being used to balance it still?

Bwuce Wee

learning it has an exericse for sure!. but then after it is not that much work. but youre still execising

On 24 Jul 2015 at 10:56 PM, Bwuce Wee said:

Hi,

Bwuce Wee

There is a way to tone your body core and legs as I have experienced it after 1200km on a Mten3. You just have to leave about a centimeter or two between your foot and the body of the wheel (which must be small obviously) so that no part of your body rest against the wheel, even during the turns.

Only your foot on the pedals. The first feeling is instability then "real freedom" after some practice. It is much more physically demanding. And also because the Mten3 is a small wheel (more vibrations) but very powerfull accelerations (at'least the 512Wh version).

On 2015-07-24 at 10:56 PM, Bwuce Wee said:

Hi,

Bwuce Wee

I just saw this post today. As you can see in my signature I got my Inmotion V8 recently. Already I am feeling a "huge" improvement to my health.

I have psoriasis arthritis, osteoarthritis in lower back, right knee cheats area where ribcage meet up, and occasionally pain in my feets. It became so bad I have hard time walking. And even put on my socks can be a challenge since I could stand freely on one leg and keep my balance.

So buying an EUC was a motivator to pick up training and a long term get new option of travel. Like commuting to work (1.5-2km) and to get out move rather to sit by pc/tv/game consol.

Status right now after 6 session of training lasting 10-20min, most about 10min I am improving ever faster each time. Beside training on my EUC I do some balance training on a balance mat like a unstable foam cousin square of 2ish " high. This balance mat is helping me massively.

When ever I am training with the EUC I get tired real fast and sweaty do to many mussels work hard trying to keep my balance. This might not be the case once I do get better. But I do expect that the EUC will get me out move so compared to sit on couch and tv watching the EUC is a much better long term option. And as a side benefit might even find new friends for EUC meetups.

So to me put shortly it had giving me priceless "health boost" and already massively morale boots. 

You can see some of my recordings listed in my question threat under Inmotion about foam protection for a rookie.

Note: English isn't my native language so translating medical terms might be a little inaccurate. When my knee was at it worst they tapped out 24cl of fluid from the kneedjoint.

After this I need a couple of days to recover of the exhausting exercise, including riding about 15 km, 30 minutes of practice and less than 15 minutes of video recording. I'm getting old :rolleyes:

Also they are more wealth benefits like coordination, reaction time, self confidence, balance and of course fun

It can be like motorsports, you don't need a big effort for ride a motorbike before you leave your comfort zone, competition is another way to get out of it

Absolutely you can lose weight riding an EUC! I have a sedentary job. It took me awhile to build up the muscles necessary to ride for extended periods without stopping. During that process, over a period of about 2 months, I lost about 15 pounds. 

wow im happy i saw this thread!  i was thinking an euc was my biggest obstacle in loosing a few kilos, turns out i just need to ride it more instead of walking from time to time

Archived